As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Autonomous Transportation] When the cars have all the jobs, the poor will walk the earth

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited August 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
TAXI.jpg
driverless-cars-cruise-into-ces-136395336420003901-150112003015.jpg
Driverlesscar.jpg
screen_shot_20140529_at_2.08.37_pm.png.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.08.37_pm.png

The Future of Travel!

It will be sooooooooo awesome:

- No more boring, unproductive commutes! Sleep in the car! Eat breakfast! File your reports! Take a nap! Watch movies! Have sex! (come on, you know that's, like, the second thing people are going to do when they get one).
- No more troublesome and awkward mid-distance journeys! Wanna go to Disney? Just get the kids in the car, fall asleep, and wake up at the park already in a motherfucking parking spot!
- Literally everywhere now has valet parking.
- Parking too expensive? Instead of paying for that pricey, cumbersome structure spot in Alphabet City, why not PARK IN GODDAMNED CONNECTICUT.
- Wanna buy cheaper housing? Anywhere is close to the city when the commute is no longer the issue!
- Cabs? Ha. No. Fuck cabs. Siri is my designated driver.

I hope you have a fucking job to pay for this miracleworld:

- Because you ain't driving a cab anymore. Livery is dead.
- Oh, you drive a truck? How quaint!
- And forget all those delivery routes you memorized working for mail carriers. Drones and autocars took yer jerb.
- You're a courier I see. I mean, were a courier.
- You probably have good job security if you work in domestic security. Those automated car-bombs aren't going stop themselves.

What will cars look like? Cars, still? Or subcompact Airstreams? And will we even care? Will we still cling to our nostalgia for the petroleum era, or can we even be bothered enough to break away from our Netflix and Chill on the corinthian leather sexseat (with dual cupholders)?

Atomika on

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I somehow suspect that it will take slightly longer for them to replace the pickup trucks used to do construction projects in the mountains.

Also: I really hope we get something like a pea pod train that you can park your self-driving car into for longer trips.

Also also: Road trips are going to involve so much more sex.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I hope you have a fucking job to pay for this miracleworld:

- Because you ain't driving a cab anymore. Livery is dead.
    - Oh, you drive a truck? How quaint!
    - And forget all those delivery routes you memorized working for mail carriers. Drones and autocars took yer jerb.
    - You're a courier I see. I mean, were a courier.
    - You probably have good job security if you work in domestic security. Those automated car-bombs aren't going stop themselves.

Guaranteed minimum income plz kthx

• Options
    I also eagerly await our self driving overlords.

• Options
    Sex aside, vacations and vacation spots are going to be so much better when tourists are no longer doing the driving.

Driving to Idaho from Seattle was an incredibly unfun experience, and anything that could have been cool about it I had to ignore because I was busy trying to not die or kill other people.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I hate driving, I don't trust myself to drive, I have yet to get my licence, and I trust other drivers even less than I trust myself.

Give me a self driving car, stat!

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    My favorite design is Mercedes' four seater that faces inwards. How amazing would it be to take an "uber meeting" where you get picked up, are all face to face, nobody has to think about where you are going and can focus on meeting prep. Hell, make the car a smidge longer and put a table with power outlets in between the seats.

Nerdier version: 4 folks playing board games on the way to visit friends / family.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Picking up kids from school. Holy shit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Self-driving RVs.

Roadside hotels may be in trouble.

• Options
    Oooh, and imagine the multitasking and crowdsourcing opportunities.

Imagine if you could sign your robocar up to do deliveries or "uber" work while you personally didn't need to use it.

• Options
    FWIW

Google's car finally had an accident it was at fault for.

Four million plus miles, one accident, zero injuries. The concern others have aired that it would only take one accident for massive public backlash seems to not be the case.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I think at least at first, and probably for a long time after, the rules will be the same as they are for the tests: you have to have someone ready to assume control of the vehicle at any time.

So we're a ways off from these all passenger vehicles.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The number one problem that needs to be addressed is the ability (or lack thereof) to identify potential obstructions. This includes not only things currently on the road, but things at the edge of the road that have the potential to collide with the car without warning. Such as pedestrians, wild animals, shopping carts, runaway tractor tires, etc.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that self driving cars are an intermediate step to us laying some kind of tracks over all the roads for them to lock into.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I swear, the Ford Airstream was designed with one thing in mind:

"You realize that people are gonna try have sex in that thing?"

"Uh, yeah. Durr."

ford-airstream.jpg
    Ford__00021475.jpg

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I'm curious how cyclists will be addressed by driverless cars.

Guns, or perhaps some sort of grenade launcher mounted on the vehicle? Lasers?
    yes that is a joke

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Can't get here fast enough, I say. I hate driving. Loathe it. I'm used to it now after having driven for so long, but i'd gladly give it up in a second in favor of self-driving cars.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    On the one hand, it's cool, and certainly a step towards the jetpacks-and-moonbases future that was promised us.

On the other hand, I'm very paranoid about driverless cars (and "smart" gadgets in general) simply because someone could hack into it. Want to assassinate someone? Remotely sabotage the brakes. Kidnap someone? Lock the doors and take over the car. And what happens if the family car starts going on the fritz on an icy road? Or a tire blows out at 70 mph? You'd better hope the computer can handle it, because it looks like there's no way to control the car when you're inside it.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Self-driving RVs.

Roadside hotels may be in trouble.

Hadn't even thought of that.

Yes.

Convenience businesses are gonna get burnt

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The number one problem that needs to be addressed is the ability (or lack thereof) to identify potential obstructions. This includes not only things currently on the road, but things at the edge of the road that have the potential to collide with the car without warning. Such as pedestrians, wild animals, shopping carts, runaway tractor tires, etc.
    By all accounts the cars are quite adept at this.

• Options
    I'm of the opinion that self driving cars are an intermediate step to us laying some kind of tracks over all the roads for them to lock into.

Self driving cars are the best solution we have for our current infrastructure.

Though "car" is the larger misnomer here, because done correctly they won't look much like cars in a few decades.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm curious how cyclists will be addressed by driverless cars.

Guns, or perhaps some sort of grenade launcher mounted on the vehicle? Lasers?
    yes that is a joke

Blades protruding from the axles like in the Ben Hur chariot race.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Imagine if you could sign your robocar up to do deliveries or "uber" work while you personally didn't need to use it.

holy shit

• Options
    My car has a job, so I don't have to

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Self-driving cars are awesome. Every innovation that eliminates labor is nothing less than amazing, with the caveat that we need to adjust our political, social, and economic systems for them.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Self driving cars are the best solution we have for our current infrastructure.

Though "car" is the larger misnomer here, because done correctly they won't look much like cars in a few decades.

I think the infrastructure will necessarily start to shift. In particular you gain a lot of flexibility if the infrastructure you build doesn't need to be efficiently navigable by a human.

In particular I'm curious what the best way for driverless cars to interact with mass transit will be - I don't think it'll be possible to shift the kind of volume of people that mass transit does by car, driverless or otherwise.

• Options
    will we even want to own cars?

• Options

It kind of depends what services become available, I think.

I can see a taxi style service being wildly popular if the cost is similar to, or lower, than public transport, and that has the potential to displace a lot of private car ownership.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I think it really depends on the business experience. Car rental becomes more of a hotel service model then it is now - so it'll be a question of ensuring we get to a point where it's easy to have them turn up spotless every time.

Quick tear down interiors are probably going to be a design feature.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    On the one hand, it's cool, and certainly a step towards the jetpacks-and-moonbases future that was promised us.

On the other hand, I'm very paranoid about driverless cars (and "smart" gadgets in general) simply because someone could hack into it. Want to assassinate someone? Remotely sabotage the brakes. Kidnap someone? Lock the doors and take over the car. And what happens if the family car starts going on the fritz on an icy road? Or a tire blows out at 70 mph? You'd better hope the computer can handle it, because it looks like there's no way to control the car when you're inside it.

The latter concerns need not be.

Traction issues due to ice or problems of blown tires are predictable, or at least predictable and detectable enough that computers will easily do better than we do. They react much faster and entirely more consistently. They don't have (bad) intuitions to override and can have much more direct access to the details of issue - down to things like which wheels are/are not having traction issues - and take more direct control - like changing the distribution of power to each wheel to compensate for the aforesaid.

• Options
    I see futuristic cab companies running apps like "poolr" in which you put your work schedule into it, and the GPS on your phone keeps track of where you are and sends a mini bus by to pick you up such that you arrive at work 15 minutes before your shift begins, paired up with other passengers going to the same geographical area for their jobs.

Essentially dynamic, bespoke public-ish transit in which you are your own bus stop.

Like uber pool, but much more automated and with the ability to distribute the cost of tolls across 10+ passengers

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

It's not that it won't be an issue, but OTOH, Jane, middle manger mother of 3, is not going to be assassinated by Iranian cyber division, but she sure as hell could be t-boned by a drunk driver. Honestly, if political assassinations increase 100 fold (and that's not realistic), we'll still see far fewer deaths than we do today by a huge margin, because human error in driving is one of the largest causes of death in people who aren't old.

Self-driving cars will likely save tens of thousands of lives per year.

• Options

People already get hacked via booze, other drugs, sickness, talking on the phone, talking to people in the car, listening to loud music, eating while driving, getting angry, etc. The second part? People already can't handle things like blown tires or icy roads.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    These things seem like they would be rather unuseful for those of us who live off the roads in the woods, farm work, and any other kind of offroad travel.

I will admit I might warm up to them if they could make me one that looks like a '67 Mustang, and not a grey-plasticky rodentine bubble.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'll be so excited to order my Amazon Prime membership perk self driving car and have it delivered via its own power. *Honk Honk* You're personal commuting device has arrived!

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

People already get hacked via booze, other drugs, sickness, talking on the phone, talking to people in the car, listening to loud music, eating while driving, getting angry, etc. The second part? People already can't handle things like blown tires or icy roads.

Also your current non-driverless car can already be hacked: http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Duffel wrote: »
    These things seem like they would be rather unuseful for those of us who live off the roads in the woods, farm work, and any other kind of offroad travel.

I will admit I might warm up to them if they could make me one that looks like a '67 Mustang, and not a grey-plasticky rodentine bubble.

A vehicle being able to function driverlessly doesn't preclude a person being able to drive it.

But I think that'll probably be a niche, like genuinely off road capable vehicles (i.e. not consumer SUVs) are now.

Thinking of a driverless car like a car is probably the wrong mindset with which to approach it. It's probably very deliberate that the concept models take an appliance-style design approach, like you see in city cars.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

As I understand it, one of the major problems with self driving cars right now is that snow confuses the hell out of them. They're fine with the driving part - they can adjust their handling for winter weather just fine. It's knowing where things are when there's snow piled up everywhere that they fail at. Through GPS, they may know that they're approaching the corner of 1st and Main, but their sensors are telling them that they've entered a mysterious alien landscape.

So for now, they drive below the snow belt.

I think that learning how to handle snow is the last major hurdle they need to cross before they become practical for consumers.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I am so ready for driverless cars. I wouldn't mind my commute to work at all if I could lean back and play games on my phone, or nap, or eat my breakfast.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    As I understand it, one of the major problems with self driving cars right now is that snow confuses the hell out of them. They're fine with the driving part - they can adjust their handling for winter weather just fine. It's knowing where things are when there's snow piled up everywhere that they fail at. Through GPS, they may know that they're approaching the corner of 1st and Main, but their sensors are telling them that they've entered a mysterious alien landscape.

So for now, they drive below the snow belt.

I think that learning how to handle snow is the last major hurdle they need to cross before they become practical for consumers.

Solution A: Infrastructure upgrades with transmitters embedded along the roadway path that allow vehicles to communicate and know where they are without visual cues.

• Options
    Duffel wrote: »

A lot of farm vehicles can be or already are replaced with automation, since a farm is very structured. Construction, demolition, etc will take longer, since they involve unprepared conditions.