As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Straightzi is the Settings Whisperer in the [Tabletop Thread]

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Rank have you ever seen the old AD&D book Monstrous Arcana: I, Tyrant?

It's real real cool, at least for the art and the weird cross-section anatomy of a beholder. It also goes into some detail on beholder societies and so on.

They also made ones for Illithids and Saugahin.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also it makes me miss @Volucrisus Aedrius because every time I type Volo I think Volyu and that I ain't heard hide nor hair from that cat in an age

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Honestly I think my favorite bit of all is how beholders breed.

Turns out? They don't. Sometimes a beholder dreams, and sometimes that dream is about another beholder, and sometimes that dream becomes reality, and a new beholder is "born".

the sky and the cosmos are one

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moriveth wrote: »

It's real real cool, at least for the art and the weird cross-section anatomy of a beholder. It also goes into some detail on beholder societies and so on.

I have not.

I am very interested. Gunna have to try to track these down.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

I have not.

I am very interested. Gunna have to try to track these down.

You can buy it from the drivethrurpg site! It's just a PDF, but it's $5.

• Options
    I find that I never end up reading PDF sourcebooks. They're great reference to have on hand during a game, but I need a hard copy if I'm gunna dig in.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    I find that I never end up reading PDF sourcebooks. They're great reference to have on hand during a game, but I need a hard copy if I'm gunna dig in.

Perfectly understandable.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Kobolds are great, I loved Kobolds. Playing a Yuan-Ti purebloods sounds interesting too. And it's always nice to see Lizardfolk get some love

Sort of wish I was more interested in D&D 5.0 now.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Also it makes me miss Volucrisus Aedrius because every time I type Volo I think Volyu and that I ain't heard hide nor hair from that cat in an age

yeah no guff, I haven't seen him in a grip

• Options
    I've seen him on Facebook here and there.

But yeah, I miss that dude.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    I set up the next game in my 13th age comedy game. A trial for an accused Superior of the Archmage!

The prosecution? A phoenix with a perfect record.
    The defense? Donovan, the cackling evil man of evilness.

Donovan has assembled a key cast of evil witnesses, including:
    that damn cat
    a smoldering hellspawn
    himself

Plus, the party took the weird passive aggressive pamphlets from the demon youth paster last game, so now he's going to constantly badger them to join the cult of the Diabolist - service Wednesday nights at 7 with a rock band and testimonials!

Though sadly, we had some players miss, so this all has to wait for next week.

OBJECTION!

Did the phoenix manage to shoot down at least 5 other phoenixes in the great war, making him an Ace?

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Honestly I think my favorite bit of all is how beholders breed.

Turns out? They don't. Sometimes a beholder dreams, and sometimes that dream is about another beholder, and sometimes that dream becomes reality, and a new beholder is "born".

Usually they fight to the death immediately, because beholders cannot fucking deal with anything even trying to threaten their obvious superiority and majesty, but every once in a while they both live, and now you've got another god damned beholder in the world.

Yeah this was a ton of fun. Beholders are such a great silly/terrifying monster to throw into an adventure. That fucking anti-magic cone.

Volo's guide is really really good, although my favorite bit might be the low-key support for aquatic campaigns with Kraken Big Bads.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Late to the painting talk but @Straightzi you don't need to spray on primer. It's an easy and convenient way to do it, but, if weather conditions makes rattle cans unusable you have two choices: You can airbrush your primer on (which is great if you already have an airbrush set up but a hell of an investment otherwise) or you can paint the primer on with a brush. Vallejo Surface Primer is a very solid, cheap primer that you can get in black and you can paint it on with a brush (grey is my personal priming color preference but, that's just me).

As for brushes and paints, well, personally I'd definitely stay away from GW for brushes, but paints is a little tricker. GW brushes are a bit expensive for what they are, a mix of synthetic and sable. Personally I recommend the Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes, as they are 100% kolinsky sable. I've got a size 2 and a size 1 and it really covers all my painting needs. I probably could get away with just one of them if I was more patient. Yeah, they are like $12 a pop but will last you a very long take if you take care of them.

As for paints GW paints are fine but overpriced and I loathe the containers the paint comes in. Which means I'd have to spend extra buying dropper bottles to transfer them to. I'd personally look at Vallejo Game Color of Vallejo Model Color, or the Reaper Master Series. Good solid paints, cheaper than GW, come in nice dropper bottles. Some of the more specialized GW paints like washes are real good though if you don't feel like making your own.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »
    I set up the next game in my 13th age comedy game. A trial for an accused Superior of the Archmage!

The prosecution? A phoenix with a perfect record.
    The defense? Donovan, the cackling evil man of evilness.

Donovan has assembled a key cast of evil witnesses, including:
    that damn cat
    a smoldering hellspawn
    himself

Plus, the party took the weird passive aggressive pamphlets from the demon youth paster last game, so now he's going to constantly badger them to join the cult of the Diabolist - service Wednesday nights at 7 with a rock band and testimonials!

Though sadly, we had some players miss, so this all has to wait for next week.

OBJECTION!

Did the phoenix manage to shoot down at least 5 other phoenixes in the great war, making him an Ace?

Confession: I have never played a Phoenix Wright game.

But my players have, and I'm good enough at improv to just run with their ques. They'll never know any better.

This is the art of efficient GMing.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh it's not weather

Spray paint is banned within the city limits of Chicago

It's an anti-graffiti measure

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Now I am really curious what the Kobold stats are like in 5E, and if they are obvious jokes like pathfinder or only sort of!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Spray on primer sucks anyway.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh it's not weather

Man that sounds like an ill-conceived law with relatively minimal benefit.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh it's not weather

Man that sounds like an ill-conceived law with relatively minimal benefit.

Welcome to Chicago

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It'll be easy enough to just hitch a ride out to the suburbs and grab some there

It's just a frustration I hadn't considered previously

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Now I am really curious what the Kobold stats are like in 5E, and if they are obvious jokes like pathfinder or only sort of!

They're lower powered than most other races, one of only two races now with an attribute penalty, and one of their abilities is about distracting enemies by being pathetic. But they seem pretty playable, and I don't think their weakness would leave them too far behind the curve after getting a few levels.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options

They're lower powered than most other races, one of only two races now with an attribute penalty, and one of their abilities is about distracting enemies by being pathetic. But they seem pretty playable, and I don't think their weakness would leave them too far behind the curve after getting a few levels.

See, I sort of don't appreciate if they're making them actually sort of a joke race. Like I'd ask to homebrew out that ability and replace it with something else, and do something to mitigate that negative attribute thing. It's annoying when they give you an option that you might actually legit want to go for but then turn around and say "but I mean not really, this race is just shittier than other options because lol"

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

See, I sort of don't appreciate if they're making them actually sort of a joke race. Like I'd ask to homebrew out that ability and replace it with something else, and do something to mitigate that negative attribute thing. It's annoying when they give you an option that you might actually legit want to go for but then turn around and say "but I mean not really, this race is just shittier than other options because lol"

What THM didn't mention was they also get Pack Tactics, i.e. advantage whenever an ally is within 5 ft which is a pretty big thing. They're far from unplayable but definitely have the option to go all joke character with them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Always always always prime your minis. I use matt black, but some prefer white, grey, or the colour they are painting the mini primarily. A standard black spray will be totally fine.

A good trick I found is prime then black and then hit them with a tiny amount of white spray just to highlight all of of their ridges. This just helps you see all of their detail.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Always always always prime your minis. I use matt black, but some prefer white, grey, or the colour they are painting the mini primarily. A standard black spray will be totally fine.

A good trick I found is prime then black and then hit them with a tiny amount of white spray just to highlight all of of their ridges. This just helps you see all of their detail.

Yeah, that's what Angel Giraldez does and he's one of the best painters around, so reckon you're in good company with that! I tend not to because, well, effort. But I probably should start...

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So is anyone here interested in playing a SUPER roleplay heavy Pathfinder game on Roll 20 and Discord from 8:30-Midnight (EST) Friday nights?

Because the group I'm running Strange Aeons for has room for a fifth, I'd really like for them to have healer, and I figured I may as well ask you mostly random people before I ask the completely random group finder on Roll 20.

You'd have to commit to staying home on the computer every friday night for the next two years though, like some sort of nerd.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    If I could commit to that time slot I'd be so happy but there's no way I could make it work :(

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's why there's group room, a lot of people I would like to play can't make it because of the timeslot. Silly people who have lives and friends and go out. It's weird.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    If I could commit to that time slot I'd be so happy but there's no way I could make it work :(

Yeah, I could do that, like, bimonthly but I don't think I could swing it every night.

• Options
    I'm interested but know nothing about Pathfinder.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm interested but know nothing about Pathfinder.

Are you familiar with d&d 3.5? Because that with some tweaks is essentially Pathfinder.

• Options
    I think the last true RPG I played in was around 11 years ago, which was a D&D 3.0 campaign and White Wolf's WOD.

Put me down as a reserve, I can pick up the books or whatever if needed.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Please tell me someone here has played this

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Yeah, I played that once in middle school. It's not great.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    so a new edition of Blood Bowl comes out on Friday.

I decided to take inventory of my Blood Bowl collection:
    isCeaPZ.jpg
    (not pictured: miniatures currently needing assembly or re-assembly)

I did a headcount, and in total I have 480 miniatures, and can compose 26 full teams from 15 different races.

I can basically run a full league by myself.

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    I think the last true RPG I played in was around 11 years ago, which was a D&D 3.0 campaign and White Wolf's WOD.

Put me down as a reserve, I can pick up the books or whatever if needed.

@Heffling

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ is about 99% of what you need to play the game, no books required. The books are all in PDF on the website if you like that sort of thing though.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Yo @Pony can I get some closeups of some of those?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Yo @Pony can I get some closeups of some of those?

yeah i'll do some photoshoots of the really good stuff later i got some house cleaning to do right now

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    http://i.imgur.com/PqBiCl5.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/iNNyFIx.jpg

Cards against humanity has reached peak stupid

Edit: why are these each 2 mb jesus

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It's all filled with horse shit