As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Every [chat] a Painting

1246797

Posts

  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Large scale, high quality automation replacing more and more jobs seems inevitable, meaning more money for owners of capital and fewer jobs (or wages plummeting to make inferior human workers a viable alternative to drones and AIs).

    The obvious answer as we gain more and more from automation is a guaranteed minimum income, and other essentially socialist programs that rise in quality as more tax revenue comes in from automated labour (e.g. free education for all, making it easier to get those jobs still beyond automation).

    But it also seems inevitable that owners of capital will be reluctant to relinquish their horde of wealth, at least in nations like America, and are infinitely capable of rationalizing their wealth share, the suffering of others, etc

    It seems impossible for there to be a switch to automation without some discontent and disruption.

    Will there be an ideological shift toward wealth redistribution? Will there be an enormous class conflict that leads to political change? Will there be enough dissatisfaction with stagnation that violence will ensue, and if so, will the centralization of wealth and technology also mean a centralization of power significant enough to create a dystopian cyberpunk plutocracy? Would other nations achieve a technosocialist utopia and intervene? Would America's automated military might render it immune to intervention? Are we going to be able to get robot hands? I'd love some robot hands.

    the obvious answer is not to violently overthrow the rich or become owners of the automatons themselves but

    but

    to become but humble wage slaves maintaining the automatons

    maybe we learn a little programming at night

    specifically, how to make them eat the rich

    then we find all the robots guilty

    and when they come to eat us, we reprogram them

    I was more thinking get machine arms and steal stuff.

    Oh and a trenchcoat.

    credeikimysticjuicer
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    wait what's the riddle

    also, can we get some kind of title on riddle posts from the mods

    like

    HERE BE A RIDDLE

    maybe there's a cool font we could use

    nah fonts don't matter enough

    use a color or something

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    BeNarwhal
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Vanguard wrote: »
    wait what's the riddle

    also, can we get some kind of title on riddle posts from the mods

    like

    HERE BE A RIDDLE

    It'll be the first thing in the thread, after or before the recycling. Unless there's a very special announcement for the contestants.

    smCQ5WE.jpg
    Vanguardmysticjuicer
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Large scale, high quality automation replacing more and more jobs seems inevitable, meaning more money for owners of capital and fewer jobs (or wages plummeting to make inferior human workers a viable alternative to drones and AIs).

    The obvious answer as we gain more and more from automation is a guaranteed minimum income, and other essentially socialist programs that rise in quality as more tax revenue comes in from automated labour (e.g. free education for all, making it easier to get those jobs still beyond automation).

    But it also seems inevitable that owners of capital will be reluctant to relinquish their horde of wealth, at least in nations like America, and are infinitely capable of rationalizing their wealth share, the suffering of others, etc

    It seems impossible for there to be a switch to automation without some discontent and disruption.

    Will there be an ideological shift toward wealth redistribution? Will there be an enormous class conflict that leads to political change? Will there be enough dissatisfaction with stagnation that violence will ensue, and if so, will the centralization of wealth and technology also mean a centralization of power significant enough to create a dystopian cyberpunk plutocracy? Would other nations achieve a technosocialist utopia and intervene? Would America's automated military might render it immune to intervention? Are we going to be able to get robot hands? I'd love some robot hands.

    the obvious answer is not to violently overthrow the rich or become owners of the automatons themselves but

    but

    to become but humble wage slaves maintaining the automatons

    maybe we learn a little programming at night

    specifically, how to make them eat the rich

    then we find all the robots guilty

    and when they come to eat us, we reprogram them

    However, due to bad integer overflow checking, after eating the first mogul worth more than 2.1 Billion the robots will turn on those that owe money.

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Not A$AP, but still like to spin a fable.
    The grind of a workday will leave me feeling aggravated.

    something about skateboarding

    Being aggravated the Micro$oft closed Lionhead studios and cancelled Fable Legends.

  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

    They know their clientele very well

    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    Grape ApeTTODewbackEvil MultifariousbloodyroarxxcptruggedCinders
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    think of all the anime

    y47tpnwd31i8.gif

    is this backwards?

    BeNarwhalDark Raven Xmysticjuicer
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    So I've been using an electric razor recently

    For most of my shaving career, I've just been using hot water and a cartridge razor, but both laziness and the fact that I received it as a gift for Christmas has compelled me to use this thing

    I mean, it's okay, I guess

    I don't much like change

    mysticjuicer
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    I actually could use a good cuddle to stave off the cold hard hand of the reaper.

    How can you tell when you're sick

    you're mad of fire

    Your'e always burning up

    Fires die down. And I'm not sick just kind of sad and aware of our collective frailties.

    Fires can be rekindled!

    Fires still go out.

  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Not A$AP, but still like to spin a fable.
    The grind of a workday will leave me feeling aggravated.

    A$AP= A$AP Rocky
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky and Bullwinkle

    Doodmann
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Mmm.. @Elki, perhaps it is The Grasshopper?
    He didn't like the daily grind one bit.

    TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
    Grape Ape
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    think of all the anime

    y47tpnwd31i8.gif

    is this backwards?

    200 pages of anime.

    We invite destruction upon [chat] if this be our end goal.

    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    think of all the anime

    y47tpnwd31i8.gif

    is this backwards?

    200 pages of anime.

    We invite destruction upon [chat] if this be our end goal.

    um the anime doesn't start til 101 so it'd just be 100 pages of anime

    i'm not a monster

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    wanderingHavelock2.0mysticjuicer
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    American Crime Story is great. Can't decide which of the cast is killin' it more. Probably Travolta and his ghoulish facade as Bob Shapiro.

    Oh brilliant
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    think of all the anime

    y47tpnwd31i8.gif

    is this backwards?

    200 pages of anime.

    We invite destruction upon [chat] if this be our end goal.

    um the anime doesn't start til 101 so it'd just be 100 pages of anime

    i'm not a monster

    Ah. Carry on then.

    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    Chanus
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    TL DR wrote: »
    Matt

    tell us a video game story?

    So I was playing ARK

    And a thing that is different about ARK from other survival games is when you are logged out, your character "falls asleep" wherever you logged out and you can be looted/dragged/killed/whatever while you are unconscious.

    It makes having a safe place to log out really important.

    So, apparently, I got raided while I was logged out. Some dudes raided my base, killed me, killed my Argentavis (giant bird mount), smashed my bed (which acts as my respawn point), and in general caused havoc.

    However, there's also an offline log feature that logs this kind of thing, so it logged the name and tribe of the dudes who killed me and my bird.

    So I'm like, oh you sons of bitches, I want revenge.

    Now, I don't actually have a real tribe. My tribe is just myself (so I can use the tribe functionality), but I have allies among the other tribes that reside in the north, some of whom are also one-man hermits or small, two or three man crews that call the northern glacier their home. We're a loose northern alliance of isolationists who are exempt from a lot of southern warring and tribal politics, and our alliances are mostly out of mutual defence and respecting each other's territory from southern interlopers.

    And this tribe that raided me? They're from the south. They're a somewhat large tribe, not the kind I can take on myself (especially after I just lost my Argent and some other significant resources from my primary base).

    So after respawning at my backup base (which is where I went after they smashed my bed at my main one) I visited some of my neighbours and called together something of a council of the northern tribes. I made the compelling argument that this tribe that raided me was unknown to me, they were not a known enemy of mine, they targeted me not because we had existing grievances but because I was a target. Because, as a lone hermit in the north, they felt they could do so without repercussions.

    And if that proved to be true, if they got away with it, it wouldn't end with me. It would embolden them. They'd learn they could foray into the north with impunity, and pick us off one by one.

    We needed to send a message that wasn't going to be allowed, that the north was strong, that they shouldn't mistake a tribe of one as a man without allies.

    The others universally agreed, and fifteen of us gathered together, found the base of these southern raiders, and using explosives supplied by one of our members, leveled it to the ground.

    The North stands strong.

    Pony on
    AiouaRMS OceanicChanusDasUberEdwardVanguardcB557spool32wanderingkedinikAresProphetknitdanTL DRCaptain UltramysticjuicerYoshisummonsAarsethRear Admiral ChocoInfamyDeferred
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

    eek

    why is there a blank post with awesome

    FOMO SETTING IN

    DemonStaceycB557mysticjuicer
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Can anyone characterize some major Canadian cities?
    Trying to figure out more about what life/expenses/day-to-day frustrations are like in different parts of Canada.

    For a project.

    TehSloth
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »

    eek

    why is there a blank post with awesome

    FOMO SETTING IN

    Twitter embed. Denny's. One of the best twitter marketing campaigns because they're just random as shit.

    Bless your heart.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Matt

    tell us a video game story?

    So I was playing ARK

    And a thing that is different about ARK from other survival games is when you are logged out, your character "falls asleep" wherever you logged out and you can be looted/dragged/killed/whatever while you are unconscious.

    It makes having a safe place to log out really important.

    So, apparently, I got raided while I was logged out. Some dudes raided my base, killed me, killed my Argentavis (giant bird mount), smashed my bed (which acts as my respawn point), and in general caused havoc.

    However, there's also an offline log feature that logs this kind of thing, so it logged the name and tribe of the dudes who killed me and my bird.

    So I'm like, oh you sons of bitches, I want revenge.

    Now, I don't actually have a real tribe. My tribe is just myself (so I can use the tribe functionality), but I have allies among the other tribes that reside in the north, some of whom are also one-man hermits or small, two or three man crews that call the northern glacier their home. We're a loose northern alliance of isolationists who are exempt from a lot of southern warring and tribal politics, and our alliances are mostly out of mutual defence and respecting each other's territory from southern interlopers.

    And this tribe that raided me? They're from the south. They're a somewhat large tribe, not the kind I can take on myself (especially after I just lost my Argent and some other significant resources from my primary base).

    So after respawning at my backup base (which is where I went after they smashed my bed at my main one) I visited some of my neighbours and called together something of a council of the northern tribes. I made the compelling argument that this tribe that raided me was unknown to me, they were not a known enemy of mine, they targeted me not because we had existing grievances but because I was a target. Because, as a lone hermit in the north, they felt they could do so without repercussions.

    And if that proved to be true, if they got away with it, it wouldn't end with me. It would embolden them. They'd learn they could foray into the north with impunity, and pick us off one by one.

    We needed to send a message that wasn't going to be allowed, that the north was strong, that they shouldn't mistake a tribe of one as a man without allies.

    The others universally agreed, and fifteen of us gathered together, found the base of these southern Raider's, and using explosives supplied by one of our members, leveled it to the ground.

    The North stands strong.

    THE KING IN THE NORTH

    THE KING IN THE NORTH

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    ChanusTL DRmysticjuicer
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Hmm, spinning and grinding...some kind of mechanism surrounding grinding?

  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Silly university district. No, random college kid, I do not have a cigarette.

    And then he rode away on his skateboard after hovering over us for a few minutes.

    Neco on
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know Texas booniesRegistered User regular
    Yea I didn't know A$AP was a music thing. Also if it means that the answer is another music person, I am woefully unable to assist.

    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    man what would be optimal strategy in a [chat] hunger games

    well first I would befriend chu and VH because I feel like out of anyone in chat they are kind-hearted softies least likely to betray me

    then I'd start loudly playing board games with VH after a couple days and when others come to ask if they can play BAM

    chu steps out from behind the tree and cracks them over the back of the head with a giant club

    I'm not trustworthy? I am cut deep.

    fine you want in?

    *slams knife down on table*

    cut yourself a nice piece of this fine steak dinner.

    I prefer [chat] Iron Chef

    oh my god yes

    there would be some good challengers too!

    Who would judge

  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    A$AP Mob is good shiz.

    Well mostly Rocky and Ferg.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Can anyone characterize some major Canadian cities?
    Trying to figure out more about what life/expenses/day-to-day frustrations are like in different parts of Canada.

    For a project.

    Vancouver is like if Portland had San Francisco's housing prices, but still Portland's job market.


    This is everything I know about Canada.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    mysticjuicer
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    man what would be optimal strategy in a [chat] hunger games

    well first I would befriend chu and VH because I feel like out of anyone in chat they are kind-hearted softies least likely to betray me

    then I'd start loudly playing board games with VH after a couple days and when others come to ask if they can play BAM

    chu steps out from behind the tree and cracks them over the back of the head with a giant club

    You are incorrect completely correct to trust me.

    yeah anyone who plays boardgames regularly cannot be trusted to maintain an alliance

    ChanusDelmainHi I'm Vee!mysticjuicer
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »

    eek

    why is there a blank post with awesome

    FOMO SETTING IN

    Twitter embed. Denny's. One of the best twitter marketing campaigns because they're just random as shit.

    yeah twitter embeds have been doing some weird stuff lately

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    mysticjuicer
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »

    eek

    why is there a blank post with awesome

    FOMO SETTING IN

    Twitter embed. Denny's. One of the best twitter marketing campaigns because they're just random as shit.

    there is nothing there

    did i just miss out

    mysticjuicer
  • cptruggedcptrugged Aim For The Top! Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    man what would be optimal strategy in a [chat] hunger games

    well first I would befriend chu and VH because I feel like out of anyone in chat they are kind-hearted softies least likely to betray me

    then I'd start loudly playing board games with VH after a couple days and when others come to ask if they can play BAM

    chu steps out from behind the tree and cracks them over the back of the head with a giant club

    I'm not trustworthy? I am cut deep.

    fine you want in?

    *slams knife down on table*

    cut yourself a nice piece of this fine steak dinner.

    I prefer [chat] Iron Chef

    oh my god yes

    there would be some good challengers too!

    Who would judge

    An overly eccentric wealthy man with a taste for good food?

  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Stacey do you still have abs?

  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »

    eek

    why is there a blank post with awesome

    FOMO SETTING IN

    Twitter embed. Denny's. One of the best twitter marketing campaigns because they're just random as shit.

    there is nothing there

    did i just miss out

    nah it just happens sometimes

    they poof

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I think we are honestly facing a very real need to consider how we want to go about attempting to transfer into a post-scarcity society over the next couple of centuries. If we make the right choices now, the notion that we will someday be able to provide all the basic needs for everyone as a matter of course is actually an entirely realistic possibility. There's just a lot of human nature to overcome to get there.

    ChanuscB557RMS OceanicGrape ApeSleepmysticjuicer
  • ChanusChanus I've seen things... Registered User regular
    god i played ARK like three hours last night (for the first time) and lost everything right at the end

    just three hours completely gone

    so much fun i can't wait to get home and do it again

    only this time

    i will be wiser

    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    PonyDelmain
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I think we are honestly facing a very real need to consider how we want to go about attempting to transfer into a post-scarcity society over the next couple of centuries. If we make the right choices now, the notion that we will someday be able to provide all the basic needs for everyone as a matter of course is actually an entirely realistic possibility. There's just a lot of human nature to fail to overcome to get there.

    Grape Ape
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Though by post-scarcity I mean "post-scarcity"

  • NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I think that interview went ok. I am certainly more than qualified for the position.

    CindersbloodyroarxxAiouaCaptain CarrotChanuswanderingAresProphetTL DRmysticjuicer
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Can anyone characterize some major Canadian cities?
    Trying to figure out more about what life/expenses/day-to-day frustrations are like in different parts of Canada.

    For a project.

    Vancouver is like if Portland had San Francisco's housing prices, but still Portland's job market.


    This is everything I know about Canada.

    I guess what's throwing me off about that (which I've heard before) is that the straight comparison looks like this (Seattle vs Vancouver)
    I would assume that the big thing this doesn't take into account is the relative tax rates, but I don't have a strong idea of how crushing that would be.

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Though by post-scarcity I mean "post-scarcity"

    I like the cover Mercury in Solar Panels strategy

This discussion has been closed.