As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Every [chat] a Painting

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    "Do you know who you're talking to? I'm calling from NEW YORK!"

Thing that was just said to me by a social media "management" company/scam trying to get us to pay them to "manage" our Yelp, Trip Advisor, Facebook etc. accounts.

She'd called 3 times previously, angrier each time, trying to get to talk to the boss, and the girls in the store had told her the boss was busy (he was, it's the day before St. Patrick's and less than 2 weeks to Easter) and would call back later, and eventually hung up on her when she wouldn't take no for an answer. I took the fourth call and told her no, we're not interested in having them manage anything, at which point she went into some spiel about how this was "paid time they had blocked off specifically" to talk to the boss about our "listings" and I told her I didn't care what it was, we weren't interested, at which point she pulled that line out. To which I calmly responded "Lady, you're talking to an Italian in Chicago, I don't give a shit who you are, call again and we're filing an FCC violation" and she literally began screaming into the phone as I hung it up.

Tomorrow's my birthday, but I got my present early!

I got called by one of those "Hi i'm so-and-so with the IRS and you owe us taxes and we're sending the police over to your house RIGHT NOW to arrest you unless you give us your bank account info" scams a couple weeks ago

i said "how often does this scam actually work?" and they hung up on me
    I regret trolling the "we are from microsoft you computer has a virus please give us root access" people because they called me nonstop for a month after I wasted like two hours with one guy.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Also it was a 914 area code so it wasn't even New York City!

You don't think someone would do that, do you

Just get on the phone and tell lies

desc on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

Thing that was just said to me by a social media "management" company/scam trying to get us to pay them to "manage" our Yelp, Trip Advisor, Facebook etc. accounts.

She'd called 3 times previously, angrier each time, trying to get to talk to the boss, and the girls in the store had told her the boss was busy (he was, it's the day before St. Patrick's and less than 2 weeks to Easter) and would call back later, and eventually hung up on her when she wouldn't take no for an answer. I took the fourth call and told her no, we're not interested in having them manage anything, at which point she went into some spiel about how this was "paid time they had blocked off specifically" to talk to the boss about our "listings" and I told her I didn't care what it was, we weren't interested, at which point she pulled that line out. To which I calmly responded "Lady, you're talking to an Italian in Chicago, I don't give a shit who you are, call again and we're filing an FCC violation" and she literally began screaming into the phone as I hung it up.

I got called by one of those "Hi i'm so-and-so with the IRS and you owe us taxes and we're sending the police over to your house RIGHT NOW to arrest you unless you give us your bank account info" scams a couple weeks ago

So that has to be tremendously illegal, holy shit

it is

there's been a rash of it here lately, it's been on the news and whatnot

the problem is it's difficult to police because the scammers aren't idiots. they're making calls from burner phones so it's really difficult to track.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Also it was a 914 area code so it wasn't even New York City!
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Matt, Im about 10 blocks from their office, do you want me to take a shit in their elevator?

i just offered to shit on an innocent social media manager's elevator. Internet Justice: not even once.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    if there ever was a union with the capability to become Fight Club style terrifying, it would be an IT Union

rise up, american server monkeys. Unite, and become like the Spacing Guild of the american empire.

Are you implying they don't already jerk everyone around already? Or alluding to their natural tendencies becoming a supreme fit for a terrifying global entity?

The second. Jerking people around separately is nothing compared to what could be.

Like some sort of circle...jerk?

like a circlejerk that focuses on hauling together and pulling a dick clean off

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    For one, nobody measures height that accurately. Also, that's a third of a cm. You're about a cm taller in the morning than in the evening.

I'm almost a full inch taller in the mornings.

Or at least I was in my teens, when I had that lamp I bumped my head into in the morning, but I could fit two fingers between it and my head in the afternoon.

• Options

I regret trolling the "we are from microsoft you computer has a virus please give us root access" people because they called me nonstop for a month after I wasted like two hours with one guy.

fuzzy i hope you do not mind but your misfortune made me laugh audibly

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

yeah the problem with most of those scams is the first call is just to see if there's a person on the other end so they can open the floodgates

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

fuzzy i hope you do not mind but your misfortune made me laugh audibly
    I convinced him I was using a Penguin OS! They were very mad at me for a while.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    6' 6-1/8"

nobody does fractions over 6'

whoever wrote that must be short

you can't use an eighth of an inch in height. Jesus.

For one, nobody measures height that accurately. Also, that's a third of a cm. You're about a cm taller in the morning than in the evening.

you use it when your measureables correlate directly to more money

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    It's really easy to get my username on twitter: just be the first one to register it in 2007.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    So girl chatting with me on okc turned out to be also trans.

Which is totally fine! I have zero problems dating a trans person, but it has alerted me to an observation: I only seem to attract other trans women. I think I might be cis kryptonite.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

But you were doing God's work, fuzzy

• Options
    Also I cruelly made him read a 16 digit number over and over for ten+ minutes. I kind of felt bad about that part. But also stop scamming people!!!!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Today:

tortellini, put in an oven thing and sprinkle pounds of mozarella on top

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i am distressed by the idea that there are people who think they're really justified in somehow being angry that you're refusing to give them your business (or that you're not falling for their scam, although that seems more like just a pressure tactic in that case)

these alien mindsets

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    We get the fucks that go around saying they're from ConEd. They want to see your bill so they can change your electricity provider.
    The movie theaters let the cockgoblins set up shop in the lobby and pitch FREE MOVIE TICKETS in exchange for signing up for the scam.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    IT won't unionize, there's always "my brother's kid, that's good with computers" so they'd just fire us.

Some software engineer will revolutionize the OS by describing things people want to do in actual real words with a GUI that doesn't obfuscate the important stuff.

No, what's going to happen is people will be using their own devices to connect to platforms as a service (PaaS) style shit, and everything will be azure or AWS or Salesforce and general purpose IT wonks will be deprecated in favor of contracted field services to fix desktops and monitors, and a single administrator to handle the cloud app deployments for tens of thousands of seats.

It is fast becoming D-day for the old IT guard.

I think so, but that shit is expensive. Until it can come down another factor of 10, it'll still be cheaper to have IT on staff dealing with their own inhouse stuff.

Also none of that shit works right.

You're just switching from IT admins who are good at managing server rooms and hardware to admins who are good at managing cloud services and making them play together.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    if there ever was a union with the capability to become Fight Club style terrifying, it would be an IT Union

rise up, american server monkeys. Unite, and become like the Spacing Guild of the american empire.

Are you implying they don't already jerk everyone around already? Or alluding to their natural tendencies becoming a supreme fit for a terrifying global entity?

The second. Jerking people around separately is nothing compared to what could be.

Like some sort of circle...jerk?

like a circlejerk that focuses on hauling together and pulling a dick clean off

I have that dvd

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    Automation isn't scary. We adjust. We always have.

The end result, in the long term? We have so much stuff. Like, holy shit, the abundance we live in.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

Which is totally fine! I have zero problems dating a trans person, but it has alerted me to an observation: I only seem to attract other trans women. I think I might be cis kryptonite.

Cistonite

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Today:

you are a visionary

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    We get the fucks that go around saying they're from ConEd. They want to see your bill so they can change your electricity provider.
    The movie theaters let the cockgoblins set up shop in the lobby and pitch FREE MOVIE TICKETS in exchange for signing up for the scam.

Yeah we get the power resellers, and we got a "I'm with the power company, we're coming to shut your power off right now unless you buy a bunch of Visa gift cards and give me the numbers to pay your bill" scam a couple months ago too.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I see you guys are [chat]ting in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZchEyvdeb0k

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    In my area there's a similar phone scam, but in this case they claim they are from the local utilities/power company and threaten to cut power if you don't give a credit card or bank number, saying your bill's past due.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Cistonite

i was going to make this pun but it sounded too gross

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Today:

lifehack also sprinkle some seasoning on top

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

I've gotten the weird hostile calls back from companies like this before (some twerp from a credit card company got all butthurt after i blew off his 3rd call) and it's just like

You really think getting angry with a bunch of different employees is going to get you business?

What the fuck?

Typically? They think the lowly peasants answering the phone are interfering with their business transactions with the boss.

Xerox and shit cold call me all the time.

Oh wait did I say cold call me? No they show up at the fucking door asking to see me.

Then get all indignant when they find out I'm busy. One even offered to wait here for 4 hours for something to clear up in my day. Listen my day is 100% busy every day (mostly true) I don't really have time to dedicate a complete 1 hr block to listen to your shitty pitch for expensive garbage.

Then they think going around me is going to work out for them, and that I'm, for some reason, not the deciding factor of IT equipment in this office. One of them went around me and tried to tell the boss I was ignoring him (I was) and that we needed to upgrade our equipment (we don't) like he had requested (he never did, but forgot). So the boss comes roaring in asking why I'm ignoring people that he had called.

As soon as I explained it was a sales guy trying to drum up new business and he hadn't actually called this person who was like "oh, well, do you think we need to do it anyways? That stuff is (X) years old." and then I say, "Well, if and when we do, it won't be (company name)'s products."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    If there is ever a "new" business in your area offering a free carpet cleaning as advertisement, run away/shut the door on them.

They will likely be a Kirby sales team using a pretend name to get in your house.

Kirby sucks....a lot....

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The path seems startlingly clear: go out Californee-way, discreetly fence out a chunk of arable land, and have Donkey Kong sexually dominate us

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I think there are also a lot of other reasons for this, including match correlating.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    The path seems startlingly clear: go out Californee-way, discreetly fence out a chunk of arable land, and have Donkey Kong sexually dominate us

im already working on step 2

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    @21stCentury @spool32 @bowen

been crazy busy at work recently but I should be able to take a look at the size checker this weekend. I haven't touched it in months so there must be some new manifest requirement or some such from Google.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    If there is ever a "new" business in your area offering a free carpet cleaning as advertisement, run away/shut the door on them.

They will likely be a Kirby sales team using a pretend name to get in your house.

Kirby sucks....a lot....
    i haven't heard of kirby's, lets google them. . .
    http://www.kirby.com/selling-kirby-vacuums-is-not-a-scam/
    protesting too much :rotate:

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Automation isn't scary. We adjust. We always have.

The end result, in the long term? We have so much stuff. Like, holy shit, the abundance we live in.

Everyone in my field thinks translation will never truly be automated. The director of operations was pushing machine translation tools and everyone is like "nah this is pointless"

but... no, guys

all non-creative translation is going to be replaced by automated translation within the next decade(s). absolutely. creative translation is hugely more difficult and would rely on AIs that are much closer to genuine, conscious minds, so that's more of a sci-fi thing, but corporate/government/technical docs? absolutely. we mock google translate but it has made huge leaps in the last few years.

and it will come with an abundance of easy communication! a babel fish for simple communication is not too far away as language software improves.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    IT won't unionize, there's always "my brother's kid, that's good with computers" so they'd just fire us.

Some software engineer will revolutionize the OS by describing things people want to do in actual real words with a GUI that doesn't obfuscate the important stuff.

No, what's going to happen is people will be using their own devices to connect to platforms as a service (PaaS) style shit, and everything will be azure or AWS or Salesforce and general purpose IT wonks will be deprecated in favor of contracted field services to fix desktops and monitors, and a single administrator to handle the cloud app deployments for tens of thousands of seats.

It is fast becoming D-day for the old IT guard.

I think so, but that shit is expensive. Until it can come down another factor of 10, it'll still be cheaper to have IT on staff dealing with their own inhouse stuff.

Man, it's coming down every. Single. Quarter.

And part of the "cost" involves firing all your IT management staff and paying for premium support from the service vendors instead, which is much cheaper.

And when you aren't paying benefits, healthcare, salary and salary tax, etc etc you could spend 60k a year on licenses and service contracts and still come out waaaay ahead (and probably get faster results) by firing the one IT guy making 65-70k a year.

Yes and no. You can't get rid of the IT guy because there's a good chance your infrastructure can't exist 100% in the cloud. You still have local PCs, routers, switches, etc.

Unless your company is smaller than 20, good luck.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    21stCentury spool32 bowen

been crazy busy at work recently but I should be able to take a look at the size checker this weekend. I haven't touched it in months so there must be some new manifest requirement or some such from Google.

for some reason it still works in Chrome on my home computer but not my work one

which is signed in to the same account and presumably both are updated so i dunno why

• Options
    i guess the "in chrome" part was redundant since it's a chrome extension but

This discussion has been closed.