As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Every [chat] a Painting

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @RiemannLives

Why did you tag me for your addon thing?

it confused me!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    389j4bxyxkjp.png

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Automation isn't scary. We adjust. We always have.

The end result, in the long term? We have so much stuff. Like, holy shit, the abundance we live in.

automation is great and I've never screamed DEATH TO THE MACHINES. HUMANITY UBER ALLES, but we shouldn't disregard the social implications.
    If your widget factory can produce $billions while directly employing only 7 people, including the janitor and widget social media manager, that's fantastic. However, we are going to have to tax you to pay for good paying government infrastructure jobs.

the really scary thing IMO is if automation starts to extend to policing and security

if wealth and production are monopolized, and violent power is monopolized, well... the revolution is pretty dead

Will police drones looking for crime to stop in the panopticon have racist algorithms?

It's not about that,

to have a successful revolution you need to get the police and army to defect to the side of the revolutionaries

robots don't defect

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    10406472_10208525565638747_2255831913163728567_n.jpg?oh=a9eec1a630e6cf95d8fd9df90ef69725&oe=5752FAB8

TL DR on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    (guilty)

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

The end result, in the long term? We have so much stuff. Like, holy shit, the abundance we live in.

automation is great and I've never screamed DEATH TO THE MACHINES. HUMANITY UBER ALLES, but we shouldn't disregard the social implications.
    If your widget factory can produce $billions while directly employing only 7 people, including the janitor and widget social media manager, that's fantastic. However, we are going to have to tax you to pay for good paying government infrastructure jobs.

the really scary thing IMO is if automation starts to extend to policing and security

if wealth and production are monopolized, and violent power is monopolized, well... the revolution is pretty dead

Will police drones looking for crime to stop in the panopticon have racist algorithms?

It's not about that,

to have a successful revolution you need to get the police and army to defect to the side of the revolutionaries

robots don't defect

um just backtrace proxies through their mainframes and hack their loyalty cores

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

It's not about that,

robots don't defect

That is assuming they are designed competently so that unauthorized people can't take control of them.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

Policing and security should be automated. Removes more problems than it solves.

Honestly, this is really the same argument people make with living, breathing government today. No government should ever have a monopoly on force. Now, during good times they should have a de facto monopoly because no one needs exercise their moral right / duty to use force themselves, but it's an inherently oppressive structure.

• Options
    Really, robots should just guarantee the IT people revolution is successful.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

It's not about that,

robots don't defect

this is difficult while the killbot is backtracing my basal ganglia

with bullets

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Guilty here because I don't go to klan rallies. I don't really know that crowd. I've thought about this and I don't feel like that's hyperbole

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

It's not about that,

robots don't defect

this is difficult while the killbot is backtracing my basal ganglia

with bullets

um use the cloud

do i have to think of everything

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    10406472_10208525565638747_2255831913163728567_n.jpg?oh=a9eec1a630e6cf95d8fd9df90ef69725&oe=5752FAB8

:snap:

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Policing and security should be automated. Removes more problems than it solves.

Honestly, this is really the same argument people make with living, breathing government today. No government should ever have a monopoly on force. Now, during good times they should have a de facto monopoly because no one needs exercise their moral right / duty to use force themselves, but it's an inherently oppressive structure.

Qdg3PBQ.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    i don't remember the name of my local rep but also richmond city is like fuckin tammany hall so it really doesn't matter

• Options

It's not about that,

robots don't defect

That is assuming they are designed competently so that unauthorized people can't take control of them.

It's like that movie Timecop Chappie

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Ludious wrote: »
    Guilty here because I don't go to klan rallies. I don't really know that crowd. I've thought about this and I don't feel like that's hyperbole

I vote democratic, but I don't see a huge reason to pay much attention to what exactly the local and state Republican representatives are up to beyond the most egregious stuff because it is usually just the typical Southern Republican stuff. I can assume that the democratic candidates are at least to the left of the Republican candidates even if they are usually blue dog democrats when I bother to read a bit about them.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    What does automating policing even mean

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    off the top of my head...

senators are patty murray and another... woman (fuck I should know that)
    fed rep is Suzan DelBene (all my federal politicians are women, neat)

state senator and reps... eh it's always a pick between two dems it's not like it matters
    plus our congress is as hopelesslessly shitlocked as the national one, and blatantly violates our constitution and the orders of the state supreme court to no consequences so fuck the rule of law I guess

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

fakeedit: comment redacted for dangerous levels of cynicism

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

I almost exclusively vote locally.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    you have 20 seconds to comply and/or
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGFWd_0qesw

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I can't remember who my federal local representative is, but provincially, it's a separatist dingus i don't like.

Edit: Whoops, the separatist dingus is the federal rep...

its the provincial one i don't remember.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Look I'm not going to memorize every local commissioner and soils and water manager that's in the local government.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

Red light cameras come to mind.

• Options
    I actually didn't know my local representative so I just googled it

Now that I've done that,

*forwards that tweet to everyone else before they can do the same*

• Options

state senator and reps... eh it's always a pick between two dems it's not like it matters
    plus our congress is as hopelesslessly shitlocked as the national one, and blatantly violates our constitution and the orders of the state supreme court to no consequences so fuck the rule of law I guess

I voted for Sawant.

I kinda regret it, but only because her opponent seemed even better. Curse my inattention!

• Options
    Washington voters need to pay attention to initiatives more anyway.

For instance, is Tim Eyeman a sponsor of an imitative? Don't vote for it.
    Also double check, is one of his shitty friends a sponsor? He stopped putting his name on them.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

Haven't those been deemed unconstitutional?

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Neco wrote: »

I voted for Sawant.

I kinda regret it, but only because her opponent seemed even better. Curse my inattention!

ha no way

I love that an honest-to-goodness communist got elected

maybe then people will stop calling basic government services communism with something to compare to

Aioua on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Senators Bob Menendez and Corey Booker

Representative Frank Pallone

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Fuck Tim Eyeman.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I voted Bernie.

I still know my stuff from Colorado.

Fuck you Coffman. Though I guess redistricting made it so they are Gardner's old district now.

I did some work for the state elections in 2012.

I am moving in like 2 weeks and that will probably change my local representation again.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Policing and military being automated seems almost inevitable, when automation reaches that level. And it would solve a lot of problems.

But technological progress means greater power and greater potential for centralization of power. That means potential for class-based tyranny.

When you have enough power in an unequal society, if it is possible to respond with overwhelming and unnecessary force to violation of the status quo and also put down any unrest because of it, that's bad news.

Fortunately that kind of technology seems to be pretty, uh, porous? And the more power is centralized, the more potent subversion of its control would be

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    How pithy.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

Haven't those been deemed unconstitutional?

not everywhere. it's a local, municipal-by-municipal, state-by-state thing whether or not those are allowed

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    20160319_LDD001_0.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    Fuck Tim Eyeman.
    INITIATIVE 831
    I, Sam Reed, Secretary of State of the State of Washington and
    custodian of its seal, hereby certify that, according to the records on
    file in my office, the attached copy of Initiative Measure No. 831 to
    the People is a true and correct copy as it was received by this
    office:

INITIATIVE TO THE PEOPLE:
    WHEREAS, Tim Eyman’s ill-conceived anti-tax initiatives are an
    irresponsible means of legislating tax policy, an abuse of the
    initiative process, and insult to our system of representative
    democracy; and

WHEREAS, Tim Eyman is an admitted liar, who paid himself $45,000
    from campaign funds, while publicly denying any personal gain from
    the state-wide initiatives he sponsored; and

WHEREAS, Tim Eyman diverted $165,000 of campaign contributions to
    a for-profit corporation he controls, with the intention of paying
    himself an additional $157,000; and

WHEREAS, Motivated by self-aggrandizement and personal gain, Tim
    Eyman has consistently misrepresented the initiatives he sponsored,
    and misappropriated funds donated to support them; and

WHEREAS, Tim Eyman readily admits, in his own words, that "I just
    feel like an ass;"

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, That the citizens of the State of
    Washington do hereby proclaim that Tim Eyman is a Horse’s Ass.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That copies of this resolution be
    immediately transmitted to Tim Eyman, his wife, and his mother. So
    there.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Yeup. Which are some of the most obvious poverty taxes in law enforcement.

Don't need racist cops when the system is designed to disproportionately impact poor and minority populations.

Automating that unjust system doesn't fix that system.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 3.1

@Kana will create the new thread
    @Ludious is backup

This discussion has been closed.