Options

Netrunner: Live out all your dorkiest cyberpunk fantasies through the medium of card games

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Who's got noise deck advice

Should I just take his ability as icing on the cake and build just a solid anarch deck that can score on archives occasionally, or is there a good way to lean into his ability

Gravedigger and demolition run obviously synergize with him but they both take some legwork to give results

I guess I could combine mediums with demolition run to trash multiple cards at once

the first thing, mainly

trying to win via milling is usually pretty tough

you basically want to use his ability for early pressure so that you can control R&D, using the virus installs to see extra cards and get rid of stuff you can't trash directly--like, they might leave R&D open turn one, so your first click should probably be to run it, even if you've got a cache or datasucker in hand, so that you can decide whether you want them to draw that or something else, and if it's an agenda, aces

then you also have the added bonus of putting the corp on a timer just by building your rig

I've run gravedigger a bunch and it's a good supplemental card but I wouldn't build around it

basically I treat it as two mills for two clicks and two credits after Grimoire is out, then sell it to Aesop

and occasionally you can get a few more mills out of it--just remember that it gets counters off of ice that you kill with parasite as well as assets/upgrades you trash via access

medium + demo run was your primary anarch win con waaaaaay back in the day

these days it's tough to get that many tokens on medium and still be able to get into R&D, ice is just too taxing and cyberdex makes it too easy to wipe counters

just remember that Noise can pressure basically whatever he wants to, depending on what's in your hand

mulligan for Aesop, run where the servers are weakest, make holes with Parasite, and pitch anything to Faust if you think it will win you the game

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'll have to get some jinteki games in after work to see how it works

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Considering that I only have one Aesop

Mulliganing for it is probably not something that's going to be all that fruitful

• Options
    Looking into it, there seems to be a reasonably active Netrunner scene here.

Of course they're located in such a way that I can't take a train or bus to get to any of the locations, because they're all in weird places outside the perimeter in Atlanta and I don't have a car.

Uber or Lyft is an option, but that makes for an expensive day of gaming.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    There is a super active x-wing and netrunner scene in my area but I can't go to either because people do everything on weeknights and I have class every evening.

It makes me the saddest boy.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Okay I'll tell you what, if you're interested in a jinteki.net league, then shoot me an @ in this thread!

It'd basically be a swiss style tournament and each round would last a week or so. During that time you just have to arrange with your pairing to play your games on jinteki.net and then report back to me!

@Anzekay sure I can do that

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Considering that I only have one Aesop

Mulliganing for it is probably not something that's going to be all that fruitful

coreset singles are the woooooorrrrst

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i think i'm missing something with runner strategy

in the early game i can run on unprotected servers to get early points and face check protected ones to force the corp to waste money

in the mid game i can rack up money and use icebreakers to keep running

by the late game though the corp has either gotten enough ice together that i can no longer afford to run enough to score or they've got the cards necessary to bang out fast advances or damage

my win record with runners on jinteki is abysmal even though i usually score 4-6 points because once the corp gets set up i can't figure out what to do besides roll over and die

• Options
    edited March 2016
    i think i'm missing something with runner strategy

in the early game i can run on unprotected servers to get early points and face check protected ones to force the corp to waste money

in the mid game i can rack up money and use icebreakers to keep running

by the late game though the corp has either gotten enough ice together that i can no longer afford to run enough to score or they've got the cards necessary to bang out fast advances or damage

my win record with runners on jinteki is abysmal even though i usually score 4-6 points because once the corp gets set up i can't figure out what to do besides roll over and die

When I was starting out I had a much harder time making runner decks than corp decks. I think Corp decks come with their win condition more cooked in. You are going to have to have agendas are you are going to have to score them, so you decide to do it from behind ice, or from your hand, or whatever, but you have your win condition sorted out.

I found myself early on making runner decks that had a bunch of good cards in them but they didn't actually have a win condition built into them. Now when I build a runner deck I try to think of the board state the deck will create in order to win and then try to build a deck to meet that goal. Is the deck going to build up a big rig and econ and establish an R&D lock as its win condition, for example?

I think it also helps to know that Netrunner is generally thought to have three game stages. Early Game, Mid Game, and Late game. Early Game the runner doesn't have breakers, but the corp doesn't have a lot of ice out and doesn't have money to rez it all. The runner is advantaged here because like you said, you can either get in for free or make the corp waste money and get in other places. The mid game is the Corp's time to shine. They have ice out and rezzed, the runner doesn't have all their breakers out yet so there are places they just can't go, and corp has money to score agenda after agenda. Finally is the late game where the runner has a full rig and a good income source and can basically run anywhere if they decide to, which means the corp has to try to trick the runner into running on the wrong stuff or do SOMETHING to create a window to score agendas, the runner is back in control. The corp deck I played against you yesterday tried to get to the midgame as quick as possible via burst economy cards and then keep the game there via trashing programs, for example.

So runner decks tend to try and do one of two things. They either try to extend the early game for as long as possible and win in that early game. Cards that still credits from the corp, cards that derez ice, that trash ice, etc are all about this kind of thing. You never let the corp get to a proper midgame and you try to win off of that. Criminals tend to like this style. Or, you can build a deck that tries to create a powerful endgame situation as quickly as possibly with powerful economy cards combined with a robust breaker suite. Shapers tend to like this style. Now, on top of this early or late game decision you need to decide more specifically how you are going to win during that stage of the game. Will you mill a bunch of cards into archives with Data Leak Reversal and win off of one access? Will you use multiple R&D interfaces to put a lock on the game? etc.

I wish I had any anarch specific advice to give you but I am also pretty behind on the meta and anarch's are my least favorite faction in the game by a country mile.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    i'm still dickin' around with it

thinking about in like economic terms

it seems like there are two ideal states for a virus-centric anarch deck

the first is to create a board state that is only marginally better than losing a turn, because in that case you're getting maximum utility out of all of your cards and it's in the corp's best interest to let you continue exploiting them

the second is create a board state where the corp has no choice but to waste a turn purging viruses, with the ability to immediately spin back up to an advantageous board state on the next turn, causing a situation where the wasted turn failed to level the playing field

the first is created through good card choice in deckbuilding and then playing smart, adding bits and pieces of trouble for the corp without ever going too hard in any one direction and scaring them into purging

the second is just building up a money pool and card advantage, and anarchs are great at the second part

but the confounding factor is cyberdex, which is basically a landmine that can ruin your ability to exploit an advantageous boardstate

hmm hmm hmm

• Options
    Well, didn't end up having much time to bum around for some practice games on jinteki, but I did put together a Runner and Corp deck.

Have an early day tomorrow, but hopefully after work I can see about getting some practice games in.

• Options
    Throw me an "@" maddoc when you find some free time and if I'm around I'll happily stumble through the jinteki UI with you, I'm still learning it myself :)

• Options
    The most important thing to remember about jinteki ui is it doesn't do everything itself, but it gives you freedom to do basically anything you can do with physical cards which is very helpful

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    @Anzekay I'm down for a jnet league.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    @anzekay I'd be up for taking part. I'll play some dumb Hayley big rig because Hayley's the best.

• Options
    Kind of in love with the phrase big rig

Just gonna drive a truck through your server

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Hayley and Geist are my favorite runners because I love free clicks

• Options
    Kind of in love with the phrase big rig

Just gonna drive a truck through your server

This is pretty much it.

Other decks just kinda gingerly go 'oh, well I guess I'll inside job, and then oh no I'm out of easy accesses'

Big Rig lets the corp get 4-5 agenda points while it's busy tinkering away. Then drives a truck full of torch, ladies and morning stars down their throat.

• Options
    I love building a rig. Its my favorite part.

• Options
    i bought a datapack today

i was very disappointed to see that the packaging card in the back was blank on the other side

when that would be a great place to put a little piece of microfiction that develops over the course of each new pack in a cycle

• Options
    I love building a rig. Its my favorite part.

As a criminal I don't understand...

What is this rig that you speak of?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    i bought a datapack today

i was very disappointed to see that the packaging card in the back was blank on the other side

when that would be a great place to put a little piece of microfiction that develops over the course of each new pack in a cycle

There's the little folded up sheet of story stuff in every pack, though!

• Options
    the what now

oh hey look at that

• Options
    @Speed Racer Want to play some games?

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    Blue map wrote: »

sure!

• Options
    Blue map wrote: »

sure!
    Dope. Do you have discord or should I log into skype?

• Options
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Alright I think we've got more than enough interest to run a league! I'll probably put up a longer post an tag everyone who was interested and see if we have any more people who want in sometime tomorrow! I'll get a list of everyone's jinteki.net usernames too, to help smooth out getting pairings sorted. At the end of the week I'll organise everything and put together the first round.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    @Anzekay I'd be up for a league, missed your earlier post.

• Options
    Today in Netrunner @Blue map cheats shamelessly to win a 6-6 game.

• Options
    The real reason @Blue map likes netrunner and not hearthstone is the hearthstone client wont let him cheat

• Options
    The real reason @Blue map likes netrunner and not hearthstone is the hearthstone client wont let him cheat
    i might actually fucking stab you i swear to god

• Options
    Anyone want to play some games around 9 pm est?

• Options
    So I just got the Worlds of Netrunner book through the post.

It's completely gorgeous, full of full versions of card art along with a decent chunk of entirely new pieces. The actual text itself is the kind of stuff you find in RPG and miniature games rulebooks about the setting but stretched out to fill an entire, huge tome of stuff.

If you like Netrunner's particular brand of cyberpunk I think it's absolutely worth springing the cash for.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Is this the yugioh thread

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    So I just got the Worlds of Netrunner book through the post.

It's completely gorgeous, full of full versions of card art along with a decent chunk of entirely new pieces. The actual text itself is the kind of stuff you find in RPG and miniature games rulebooks about the setting but stretched out to fill an entire, huge tome of stuff.

If you like Netrunner's particular brand of cyberpunk I think it's absolutely worth springing the cash for.

I really wanted to preorder that but I couldn't afford it

• Options
    edited March 2016
    here's the deck I've been fiddling with on Jnet lately:
    look at this silly gagarin deck

Gagarin Deep Space: Expanding the Horizon (Order and Chaos)

Agenda (10)
    2x Corporate Sales Team (Business First)
    2x Global Food Initiative (Data and Destiny) ••
    3x Oaktown Renovation (Chrome City)
    3x Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead)

Asset (23)
    1x Corporate Town (Chrome City)
    3x Daily Business Show (All That Remains) •••
    1x Executive Boot Camp (All That Remains)
    3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
    3x Mumba Temple (Kala Ghoda) ••••• •
    3x Museum of History (Kala Ghoda) ••••• •
    3x PAD Campaign (Core Set)
    3x Public Support (The Universe of Tomorrow)
    3x Turtlebacks (The Source) •••

Upgrade (4)
    2x Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) ••••
    2x Crisium Grid (First Contact)

Operation (2)
    2x Diversified Portfolio (Honor and Profit)

Barrier (4)
    1x Hadrian's Wall (Core Set)
    3x Spiderweb (The Underway)

Code Gate (3)
    3x Enigma (Core Set)

Sentry (8)
    3x Archer (Core Set)
    2x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead)
    3x Tour Guide (The Universe of Tomorrow)
    15 influence spent (max 15)
    22 agenda points (between 22 and 23)
    54 cards (min 45)
    Cards up to Business First

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I've been doing well but I think that's mainly because people are messing around with terrible big rig shaper decks; it would lose in the early game to just about any well-tuned criminal deck, I think, and they'd probably be able to keep up in the long run with security testing

I borrowed the idea from a friend of mine who took down a store championship with another version, but his didn't have Ash or Archer, which is bananas

Shorty on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I became sort of randomly enamored with the idea of Netrunner a few days ago. Although I'm currently trying to suppress the urge to buy a core set, because it seems like sort of a lose-lose proposition.

On the one hand, I might not wind up liking it, in which case I'm out the 30 bucks (not really the end of the world).

On the other hand, if I DO like it, it would just force me to dump money into more sets, which I kind of don't especially want to do.

And in either case I probably wouldn't have anyone to play with ANYWAY, so it should be a moot point. But I keep thinking about it.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Is this the yugioh thread

no, its the netrunner thread

• Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I became sort of randomly enamored by the idea of Netrunner a few days ago. Although I'm currently trying to suppress the urge to buy a core set, because it seems like sort of a lose-lose proposition.

On the one hand, I might not wind up liking it, in which case I'm out the 30 bucks (not really the end of the world).

On the other hand, if I DO like it, it would just force me to dump money into more sets, which I kind of don't especially want to do.

And in either case I probably wouldn't have anyone to play with ANYWAY, so it should be a moot point. But I keep thinking about it.

You could try it out on Jinteki.net for free