Options

Netrunner: Live out all your dorkiest cyberpunk fantasies through the medium of card games

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I'd recommend
    1) Watch the pretty good FFG tutorial video here
    2) maybe skim the rules pdf (its on the ffg website) to get some of the basic terminology and flavours of the factions
    3a) then either find some with the Core set to play with
    3b) or go on jinteki.net (fanmade browser based implementation of the game that enforces most of the rules) with someone from the thread

Dis' on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    I've never played this but am super interested. Any good resources on how to do this for beginners

Alot of the time learning with people who know is usually the best due to the amount of jargon involved.

Though Fantasy Flight has a very basic look at how it plays in their intro video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    I'd recommend
    1) Watch the pretty good FFG tutorial video here
    2) maybe skim the rules pdf (its on the ffg website) to get some of the basic terminology and flavours of the factions
    3a) then either find some with the Core set to play with
    3b) or go on jinteki.net (fanmade browser based implementation of the game that enforces most of the rules) with someone from the thread

Will doo

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Since there are lots of new players here I thought I'd share my article that I wrote...

http://netrunners.co.uk/articles/running in netrunner.html

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Since there are lots of new players here I thought I'd share my article that I wrote...

Wait, you published that and didn't link it here? 10 points from Criminal.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Huh? What?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Huh? What?

Did you link that article in the old thread? If so, I give you your points back.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    he published that awhile back, but it was back before there was a thread in SE, only in Critical Failures

e: nope I was wrong this is a new thing, and it's dope, y'all should read it

Shorty on
  • Options

Huh? What?

Did you link that article in the old thread? If so, I give you your points back.

Oh, yeah I spammed it ;)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Always
    Be
    Running

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

I think this would be more powerful if you relied more on concrete examples from the core set. Like, you talk about making runs when you have cards that will let it boost your board state, but what if you don't have those cards out? Do you just not run after all? What's an example of a game state where you run anyway?

Or you talk about preparing to mitigate worst-case scenarios. How bad is it to run into those bad scenarios after confirming that they won't insta-gib you? What do recoverable versus non-recoverable disadvantages look like? How does face-tanking a snare or nasty ICE impact your next couple of turns?

Like...just as the most straightforward example I can think of, turn 1 Jinteki puts down two assets and ICEs one of them. What do you do?

Well, it's Jinteki, so net-damaging setups are likely. It could be that the undefended card is a Snare and you're being baited. It's also possible that he knows you'd suspect that, and there's a Snare behind the ICE and the open card is actually a low-value asset or agenda. Or maybe there aren't any Snares at all. Uncertainty might make someone afraid to run, but it's a target-rich environment and running probably isn't getting any safer in the next turn or two, so I assume you run.

Do you run the hard remote or the soft remote first? You could also run a central, but you still risk Snares that way and it probably doesn't give you as much info, so you probably wouldn't. Doomsday scenario is that the hard server is something like Neural Katana + Snare with EMPs in hand, so you probably draw once to hit 6 cards if you're going to do it just in case. What if you run the hard remote and it IS that, and you have 0 cards and 2 clicks and the corp has low credits? Do you draw twice and back off, or draw once and check the other server? Agenda + EMP is fatal with one card, so I guess you have to just draw. What do the next two turns look like, then, playing from such a small hand against Jinteki? Are you just screwed? Are you totally fine because the corp is broke?

What if you run the soft server and it's a PAD? Is it worth the credits to trash it? If not, does that mean running the soft server wasn't worth it to begin with, because PAD was always likely? Do you still run the hard server after?

What if you have ICEbreakers in your hand? If you play one and then run the hard server, you might get lucky. But if you play a barrier breaker and then eat a Neural Katana the click and card you spent left you less resilient to damage.

What if your hand kicks ass and you really don't want to lose three cards? Or you have one really good card you're afraid to risk, like a Magnum Opus or something? Do you skip running and tech up? Play one or two and then run? Do you not run the ICEd server, then? If you try it, eat a Neural Katana, and then jack out without accessing, how bad is that? Bad enough to not take the risk? How much is just the knowledge worth? I guess if you're playing Magnum Opus then program-trashing ice becomes worse than Neural Katana. But how long can you afford to keep respecting that?

This is the kind of stuff that paralyzes me when I think about it. Not just the "what's the worst that can happen", but the "THEN what?". When you spend a fortune on a tough sever and then the run is thwarted at the last second by a nastier-than-expected ice or an upgrade or just a crappy feint of an asset and you get nothing, THEN what? What's game-ending versus just the cost of doing business? Which run-halting fears are the rational ones?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    So I can help with a lot of these questions, however I think you are asking for a lot if you think the article is going to cover them all.
    What you want is a guide on how to play Netrunner and there isn't an algorithm to tell you what to do, you have to make decisions based on your knowledge of the opponents deck, your hand etc.
    I've spoken about doing some teaching sessions before, so it sounds like this would be good for you, we could talk through my thought processes when making decisions.

• Options
    Regarding game ending vs acceptable costs I'd always worth bearing in mind that Netrunner's economy heavily punishes you for going below about 3/4 credits due to the fact that most good econ options rely on having the cash to punt up for them in the first place. The obvious example being that if you run and end on 4 credits then next turn you can click for creds and sure gamble, while if you spend just two more credits that run you're looking at wasting an entire turn just to get back up to speed and have given a clear scoring window for the corp.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Also I am always sad that PSF will never be a good card because man its alt art is the best:

Netrunner-Private-Security-force-PSF-Alt-Art.jpg

Actually I'm going to be running a shadowrun campaign soon, I wonder if the art from netrunner is up any where with the gameplay art ripped out because man the art in this game is great.

Hard and fast rule, if you just want the art from a CCG/TCG card, take the artist name at the bottom of the card, and google it. The chances are VERY good that they have them posted on their personal website.

http://adamschumpert.com/netrunner-scifi-adamshcumpert/

PRM077_7673_PrivateSecurityForceAlt_AdamSchumpert.jpg?format=500w

The best part of this art is that it came out a couple of years ahead of the release of the Argus Security ID, but if you look closely they have the Argus logo on their suits. It also thematically fits Argus Security very well. They hinted at that release way ahead of time, oblivious to everyone. A nice little Easter egg hidden for a couple of years without notice, I wonder if they have any other things still hidden?

• Options
    In general it's my understanding that FFG has a full lore bible they just haven't shared with anyone. So most anything you see in a card is likely an actual, in universe thing.

• Options
    Endaro wrote: »
    Also I am always sad that PSF will never be a good card because man its alt art is the best:

Actually I'm going to be running a shadowrun campaign soon, I wonder if the art from netrunner is up any where with the gameplay art ripped out because man the art in this game is great.

Hard and fast rule, if you just want the art from a CCG/TCG card, take the artist name at the bottom of the card, and google it. The chances are VERY good that they have them posted on their personal website.

The best part of this art is that it came out a couple of years ahead of the release of the Argus Security ID, but if you look closely they have the Argus logo on their suits. It also thematically fits Argus Security very well. They hinted at that release way ahead of time, oblivious to everyone. A nice little Easter egg hidden for a couple of years without notice, I wonder if they have any other things still hidden?

Fun fact for you, in phase 1 of design Argus Security and Blue Sun were actually separate factions :)

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Fun fact for you, in phase 1 of design Argus Security and Blue Sun were actually separate factions :)

Yeah the 'Weyland' faction identity was just the advancible ice/operation synergy/glacier elements of modern Weyland wasn't?

And then they smooshed it all together! On the one hand they may have diluted the big W cardpool by trying to do too many themes, but can you imagine how awful the Because We Built It weyland faction would have been in the first few cycles given the designers hesitance with advancible ice?

• Options
    Endaro wrote: »

Leela Patel was also shown on a card two years before she was released as a runner

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The fact that they have that stuff thought out so far in advance makes stuff like Professor being on Keystone even weirder to me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    The fact that they have that stuff thought out so far in advance makes stuff like Professor being on Keystone even weirder to me

they probably put him on it before they decided what his ability was

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Oh Professor. I tried so hard to make you work.

• Options
    he's a defensible choice in a post-mwl world, but only just

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    MWL?

Most Wanted List

The cards that subtract influence from your deck just from being too good

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh Professor. I tried so hard to make you work.

Well, looks like someone's had luck with it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    MWL?

Most Wanted List

The cards that subtract influence from your deck just from being too good

yeah

each card on the list reduces the total influence of your deck by one

but it can't be reduced below 1, so none of the Shaper or neutral cards (without an influence cost) on the list (clone chip, Lady, pre-paid voice pad) have any effect on the Professor

you can play a version of oldschool ppvp kate in professor that isn't bad

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Think I'm gonna get the core set of this, maybe try it out this weekend

My problem with card games is that I often really like the gameplay and have no patience whatsoever for building a deck, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna get the core set of this, maybe try it out this weekend

My problem with card games is that I often really like the gameplay and have no patience whatsoever for building a deck, though

I dont either!

Thankfully, netrunnerdb exists!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Yeah, I usually find a base of a deck via NRDB, and then make the deck worse by last-minute personal tweaks that don't get tested the night before a event.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    In the core set you can just mash together the cards of one faction and the neutral cards and voila you have a totally legal deck. Those aren't the best decks you can make with just the core set, as you'll soon realise, and doing things like putting SEA Source and some decent ice in a core Weyland deck makes it a lot better, as does splashing out on the breakers of another faction if you're a runner.

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Yeah, I usually find a base of a deck via NRDB, and then make the deck worse by last-minute personal tweaks that don't get tested the night before a event.

I am incapable of making a Jinteki deck without Crick.

It's my deepest Netrunner shame.

• Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

I am incapable of making a Jinteki deck without Crick.

It's my deepest Netrunner shame.
    Most Jinteki decks run at least a one of Crick though.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    yeah, crick's a good include in most Jinteki decks

• Options
    Got my set in

Oh my god this is some duuuuuuuuuuuuumb cyberpunk and I love it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Finally played my first game of this

It's cool!

We thought the game flew by really quick when I got to the bottom of my R&D deck in like, no time

And then it turns out we were supposed to include the generic cards as well as the corporation-specific ones

And therein lies the pitfalls of analog games

Good time, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeah, that sounds rough for the corp to not have the generic ICE and economy cards in core set.

Glad you enjoyed the game at least. Also if you find Noise is running over people with just the core set it can be worth using proxies for Jackson Howard.

• Options
    Finally played my first game of this

It's cool!

We thought the game flew by really quick when I got to the bottom of my R&D deck in like, no time

And then it turns out we were supposed to include the generic cards as well as the corporation-specific ones

And therein lies the pitfalls of analog games

Good time, though

you should read up on the influence system. It allows you to use non-in faction cards!

Also, I spent 3 hours re-arranging my physical collection last night instead of playing Dark Souls last night

• Options
    Wanna make sure I understand a real important part of the rules

If you're the hacker and you declare you're gonna make a run on something, do you have to commit a specific icebreaker/program BEFORE ice is revealed?

Or do you always have your whole rig available to you

Cause we were playing the former and I'm starting to think it's supposed to be the latter

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wanna make sure I understand a real important part of the rules

If you're the hacker and you declare you're gonna make a run on something, do you have to commit a specific icebreaker/program BEFORE ice is revealed?

Or do you always have your whole rig available to you

Cause we were playing the former and I'm starting to think it's supposed to be the latter

You always have your whole rig available.