As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go [Chat]

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    *munches on salad*

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I was going to get back to watching Daredevil's first season last night, only to discover that my 3-year old was streaming nextflix from his tablet in bed.

Son, you have a wealth of children's programming to watch, it doesn't have to be Daniel Tiger all the time (even though it's a real good children's show!).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    help help I'm being depressed

oh yeah totally I'll just

uh

*heavy sigh*

actually I'm gonna lie down for a bit but hit me up later ok

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    There's nothing like watching a Chess novice's face when they first learn about castling and en passant. The desire to call you out on your bullshit.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

Hugs

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I can recommend media on the interwebs that may provide a distraction

i'm watching the devil man as we speak

is good, Frank infinitely more interesting than Fisk

still super ultra grimly depressed tho

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Load times in Bloodborne are way way too long for how many times I die in that game.

• Options
    Depression can't stand up to salad laughs.

The most powerful kind of laughs in existence.

• Options

Watch Kimmie Schmidt?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    There's nothing like watching a Chess novice's face when they first learn about castling and en passant. The desire to call you out on your bullshit.
    I'm familiar with the former but not the latter. What's en passant?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So apparently Thor, the God of Thunder, was just summoned in one of our server racks.

Like a random ass surge just took out power to a few VM hosts, fried the motherboard on one, fried two sticks of ram on another, and destroyed an old Dell Poweredge 2K3 box we were in the process of backing up to decommission.

Fuck you Avenger.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Watch Kimmie Schmidt?
    that's actually kinda depressing too

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it's always a good feeling when your boss waffles about spending a certain amount of money on a server solution but does not bat an eye at spending slightly more on polo shirts for us all to wear

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    c55.png

Master of Malts is perfectly fine.
    Get a job, Caroline. You shouldn't be eating candy and milk for breakfast anyway.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
  • Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant

After one side moves a pawn two spaces, the other side can immediately capture the two-space pawn with their own pawn by moving past the two-space pawn.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Puked a little in the trash. Breath breath.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I received a professional compliment today about how my briefing was informative and displayed a mature understanding of the problem. Yay! I feel validated. These business development people are being really excellent about providing mentorship and feedback even though my manager for the science/programming stuff is a bit lacking on that front.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Watch Kimmie Schmidt?
    that's actually kinda depressing too

?

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    They nicked the remaining Paris shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9BHeRLjpzs&ab_channel=RTFrance

He was in Brussels.

They've had to pour in the riot officers to stop public disorder.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    *munches on salad*

Omg hahahah

HAHAHA

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh man, En Passant pisses off people so much. In casual pickup chess games I have done that and had people argue that I can't do it because it's not a "normal rule" or some nonsense. Yes it is! It totally is!

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    I received a professional compliment today about how my briefing was informative and displayed a mature understanding of the problem. Yay! I feel validated. These business development people are being really excellent about providing mentorship and feedback even though my manager for the science/programming stuff is a bit lacking on that front.

I love professional validation! All too often I feel imposter-syndrome-ey.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I had a soylent for lunch which I mixed with nitrogen infused coffee

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Get a job, Caroline. You shouldn't be eating candy and milk for breakfast anyway.

Deebs' inner-child choked on a Lucky Charms marshmallow and died.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Dunno if you're in the mood for it, but have you played any HotS? It's really engrossing yet chill, and full of PA bros to hang out on voice with. Very good anti-depression solution (well, for some depressions, for some people).

credeiki on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    So apparently Thor, the God of Thunder, was just summoned in one of our server racks.

Like a random ass surge just took out power to a few VM hosts, fried the motherboard on one, fried two sticks of ram on another, and destroyed an old Dell Poweredge 2K3 box we were in the process of backing up to decommission.

Fuck you Avenger.

Lame.

Did they have UPSes or were they right on the wall?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    phds aren't supposed to be things you get just things you perpetually work towards forever what is going on here

I dunno. Seven years (almost) is pretty much forever.

That's 1/4 of my life. Fuck. Shit just got dark.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Watch Kimmie Schmidt?

Im at that point in the process where I probably can't be cheered up

I sat on my couch last night for two hours looking at the ceiling instead doing, well, literally anything else

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    *munches on salad*

Omg hahahah

HAHAHA

Look at this proximity laughter. He's several states away!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I've always wanted to learn how to play Go.

I've been thinking about starting a thread for it, as a fun little diversion during spring break.

This is a decent introduction to the rules, and the dude with that explanation video of the ladder game has a bunch of good, more basic explanations of concepts on his channel.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant

After one side moves a pawn two spaces, the other side can immediately capture the two-space pawn with their own pawn by moving past the two-space pawn.
    so it's the chess version of that thing where two people dash past each other with swords try to slash eachother and stop after passing eachother and then there's a beat and then one of them collapses

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Oh man, En Passant pisses off people so much. In casual pickup chess games I have done that and had people argue that I can't do it because it's not a "normal rule" or some nonsense. Yes it is! It totally is!

People do not like losing or suffering a blow because of lack of rules knowledge. Because it sucks. It's almost worth mentioning at the start of a game so they know.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about doing the Windows 10 upgrade on my Windows 7 just to get it over with but I'm afraid my PC games will stop working.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016

People do not like losing or suffering a blow because of lack of rules knowledge. Because it sucks. It's almost worth mentioning at the start of a game so they know.

En Passant : chess :: "Damage on the stack" : Magic the Gathering

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options

Yeah, I always ask if my opponent is okay with me castling before I do so. I'm a novice player playing usually playing against other novice players, so half the time they haven't heard of it.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Trump truly is a pickle. Guy at work I was sure a Hilary guy defends Trump, guy I was sure was Trump guy siding with Cruz.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    phds aren't supposed to be things you get just things you perpetually work towards forever what is going on here

I dunno. Seven years (almost) is pretty much forever.

That's 1/4 of my life. Fuck. Shit just got dark.

If it helps I'm your age and instead of a PHD I once put seven years into what was ultimately an unsuccessful relationship!

• Options
    Instead of learning to play Go (I started learning in Boston but have only played 3-4 games ever, and now I can't remember the rules), my bro and I are maybe going to try to work towards an AI to play a different game of perfect strategy (the inimitable Warlocks/Waving Hands).

Of our three joint programming endeavors, we only ever finished one, but it was the most recent one, so...maybe it'll happen?
    First step is that I just want to implement this game, whereas they want to work towards a predictive algorithm to correlate %winchance with game state, or something like that.

Hm I thought I was ambivalent on this project but actually I am super-psyched! Although. Let's see if I actually work on it instead of playing League.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Casting should be explained in your first game. It's a crucial rule. En passant is an odd edge case, but casting is enormous!

This discussion has been closed.