As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Paragon] Paragone on April 26 - Refunds available

AumniAumni Registered User regular
edited January 2018 in Games and Technology
PARAGON WILL BE CLOSING DOWN ON APRIL 26
https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/en-US/news/paragon-to-close-on-april-26
See above article regarding refunds.

What is Paragon?
https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4TbV0CGWJM&feature=youtu.be

More updates!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwlUjXLkGaY

New Hero!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPVkHJNdHt8

PA Player-list spreadsheet (Separate tabs for platforms):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JjFAl0C8UKuHzRCF9GB0Xmj1s_W0lr1OQkUu-6htffs/edit?usp=sharing

Paragon is a third-person action MOBA developed by EPIC games. Watch the above trailer/gameplay. It's pretty rad.

Another MOBA!? What makes this one so great?

Great visuals, tight controls, and a fun take on the traditional 'item shop'. The Z-axis plays an important role as the jungle sinks inwards towards the center. You can use ledges and bridges to your advantage. Or if you have a character that can jump, spring some interesting surprise attacks.

When is it out?

Open beta is live as of 8/16/2016!

Card packs?

Yeah, card packs. When you start a match and go into the card selection screen you pick a deck. That deck will have useables (potions, wards), equipment (active or passive), and upgrades. Equipment can be slotted with 3 upgrades. Filling out the upgrades on an item will give you an extra boost. At the start you just use the default starter decks. When your account hits level 5 you can enter the deck builder. This is where you can customize decks for characters.

Card packs can be earned by leveling up or using in game currency. You cannot buy them with real cash. You can now craft or breakdown cards!

When you play the game, killing a minion or hero will have them spill orbs everywhere. Pick them up for Card XP. Get enough card xp to level up and gain 3 card points. Use the points to equip/upgrade your cards! If you last hit a minion you will auto absorb the orbs, otherwise you need to pick them up.

Links
Homepage: https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/
Basics with hero descriptions and info: https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/forums/showthread.php?19-The-Basics-of-Playing-Paragon&p=21&viewfull=1#post_20

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
Aumni on

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Game is pretty solid for an alpha build. Creep assets and the voice work aren't done, but what is there is freakin' gorgeous.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    It's pretty solid. I really enjoy the harvester mechanic. I don't know if I enjoy the tanks as much as I normally do. I want the roster to expand, and once the jungle starts being challenging, I can see me really digging the game.

Card mechanic is... interesting. Definitely makes pre-game choices incredibly complex, and I think there's some REALLY high quality and healthy depth there once fleshed out with crafting. I feel like random drops for customization (as it is right now) is a INCREDIBLY weak mechanic.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
    Yeah, I think putting random card drops for deck building on top of a MOBA is too much of an attempt to add addictive elements to the game. The game's speed could also use a 10-20% boost. There doesn't seem to be any boots, and the walk speed feels a tad bit slow.

edited March 2016
    Building sparrow out with hit/crit% works out pretty well. No one is getting armor yet.
    RNmFtfg.png

Feels good. Matches are around 30 minutes. And you can surrender vote in this too.

Aumni on
    Aumni wrote: »
    Building sparrow out with hit/crit% works out pretty well. No one is getting armor yet.
    RNmFtfg.png

Feels good. Matches are around 30 minutes. And you can surrender vote in this too.

it's definitely because tanks are lacking. There's nearly no taunt or consistent stun mechanic to lock people up. Tanks don't do enough damage or provide enough CC to really cause people to focus them.

edited March 2016
    Steel seemed fine in there. I'd attribute this more to the game being new and me getting fed early on.

I've only played a couple games but the tanks look like they have the tools - just need numbers tweaked.

Aumni on
    i just ran steel into a pvp game. Felt like outside of his ultimate, he was very... weak. His ult does solid damage, and the CC is great. However, i feel thats the only part of his kit that's really active.

• BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    I bought in with the 20 dollar pack, played as every character vs AI over the weekend, and some PVP games as Sparrow, Gideon and Howitzer.

Good:
    -This game is fun. The game is in pretty solid condition for an alpha(jungle creep meshes aside).
    -The aesthetics are good for the characters. I like the diversity, they all have that 'Epic/Unreal Tournament' aesthetic about them, though it's not as obnoxious as the Gears/UT3 bulkiness
    -The Z axis definitely adds depth. Chasing someone through the jungle is exciting
    -I like the card/upgrade and harvester systems, it strikes a good balance between individual progression and teamplay

Bad:
    -Really needs the crafting system for the cards to be implemented
    -Art for the cards needs to come soon too... it takes longer to 'buy from the shop' in game if you're looking at lots of cards with the placeholder "Paragon" icon

Not really bad but kinda worries me:
    -Movement/Escapes - Movement seems a little on the slow side. Some characters like Sparrow and Howitzer have literally no escape if even lightly overwhelmed. I'd like to see some cards like Blink Dagger and Force Staff in Dota 2, or even like Boots.

steam_sig.png
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    i guess i'm in the closed beta now or whatever

installing as i type this

might as well give 'er a bash

edit: so i actually had a paladins beta key

neither the email, the account website, or the installer somehow clicked in my head that i was playing fucking paladins and not paragon

it took me signing in and entering the game in order to browse the available heroes before i saw the mistake i had made

i'll just see myself out

Liquid Ghost on
    i guess i'm in the closed beta now or whatever

installing as i type this

might as well give 'er a bash

edit: so i actually had a paladins beta key

neither the email, the account website, or the installer somehow clicked in my head that i was playing fucking paladins and not paragon

it took me signing in and entering the game in order to browse the available heroes before i saw the mistake i had made

i'll just see myself out

Want a copy?

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    i'm alright for now. not entirely certain if i have enough ram to run this at the moment. i appreciate the sentiment, however. i'll sniff out a copy once i get this shipment of extra ram in the mail. two of my sticks died simultaneously and it wasn't pretty.

Aumni and Varega are you guys playing on PC or PS4?

steam_sig.png
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Hmm seems like an interesting take on the genre, figure i'll sign up and see what shakes out.

I don't typically go for the third person versions of MOBAs but I like how this properly takes the z axis into account so it may be better in that regard.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png

PC. I'll throw up a google docs page a little later so we can get some names together.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to start a "things that aren't obvious" tips and tricks thing.

For instance, Helix cards. One goes in your deck, but isn't equipped. What it does is when your team gets the OP buff, it determines exactly what the buff does and gives you the stat bonuses it says.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

They're playing it right now

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Doesn't matter, I don't think. I see a lot of people on the PS4 with a little PC tag behind their name. Unless that just means they also play the PC one

I'm playing on the PS4 because my computer doesn't have the power to play it.

PC. I'll throw up a google docs page a little later so we can get some names together.

I sent you an EPIC FRIEND REQUEST

steam_sig.png
    Player sheet is up. Put yourself in that.

Player sheet is up. Put yourself in that.

thanks, man, added!

• Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    So my thoughts so far. Sprint needs a massive overhaul it provides any character with an escape a massive advantage. If you are twin blast you can disengage from a fight by dashing and then activating sprint. I feel like epic should implement a channeling mechanic where you standstill for five seconds like recalling.

I like the card system.... it should give you a starter set that includes some necessity items like movement speeds boots/blink. these cards do exist in the game I've just never been lucky enough to have them drop.

characters are a little vanilla right now at least for the adc/markman/whatever you want to call them, sparrow and twin blast basically have the same ult.

overall I think its got a solid footing, just need to tighten up the game-play and balance a bit and take a look at the card-system.

Murdock looks generic as hell but I'm a sucker for space marines.

Did somebody say there needs to be more tanks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXd-UPgVG3Q

persona4celestia.jpg
    He looks neat.

Have they said anything about the map at all? Is Agora the only planned map for a while?

steam_sig.png
  • ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    I put myself in the spreadsheet. I just hit 5, so I'm still very green. A little frustrated that a deck has to be for a champion, and they give you less decks than champions.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    I put myself in the spreadsheet. I just hit 5, so I'm still very green. A little frustrated that a deck has to be for a champion, and they give you less decks than champions.

You earn deck slots as your account progresses. I think you can buy deck slots as well.

steam_sig.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    MOBAs were beyond me for the longest time, but I was finally able to get into one when Heroes of the Storm came out...probably because it didn't have the in-game item shop, which always felt overwhelming to me =p.
    I'm going to give this one a try, it looks like a good time. I love pretty much everything CliffyB has done since Quake so it seems like a safe bet I'll enjoy it. Founders pack here I come.

vamen on
    vamen wrote: »
    MOBAs were beyond me for the longest time, but I was finally able to get into one when Heroes of the Storm came out...probably because it didn't have the in-game item shop, which always felt overwhelming to me =p.
    I'm going to give this one a try, it looks like a good time. I love pretty much everything CliffyB has done since Quake so it seems like a safe bet I'll enjoy it. Founders pack here I come.

I don't think Cliff is still at Epic... he's got a new studio, Boss Key games, working on another game, Lawbreakers, to be published by... nexon :(

also he worked on unreal, not quake

/UT Fanboy

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2016
    vamen wrote: »

I don't think Cliff is still at Epic... he's got a new studio, Boss Key games, working on another game, Lawbreakers, to be published by... nexon :(

also he worked on unreal, not quake

/UT Fanboy

Er yeah I meant Unreal, sorry. Quake was my jam back in the day, but I was an Unreal fan to a lesser degree. Really loved Gears of War though!

But man my information is all over the place. I could have sworn he was with this game. I keep getting Gigantic, Overwatch, Paragon, and Lawbreaker mixed up...mostly because I've not really been following any of them directly so they sort of blended together in my brain =p. I see how different a few of them are now though, now that I'm digging into Paragon. I thought they were all 3rd person MOBAs for the longest.

Thanks for setting me straight =)

EDIT - and while Nexon is sort of a bummer, Lawbreakers looks pretty cool! Yay for first person swinging.

vamen on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    MOBAs were a non starter for me since the time I got conned into trying LoL with a friend that played them regularly only to end up having him yelling at me about how terrible I am in my first game of my first time playing. (We are no longer friends) Mostly it was a bunch of things I couldn't grok. Mostly all that item shop shit. I'm curious if this is more accessible

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    The deck building part of it is pretty straight forward-
    • Want to crit? Take card x!
    • Want to do more damage? Take card y!

You then have some flexibility when you're upgrading your equipment cards during a game, because they each of three slots for upgrades. So you get an equipment damage card but the guy giving you trouble went for armor? Maybe upgrade that equipment with armor pen instead of raw damage. It's slightly more granular because of that approach.

If you do check it out let me know if you wanna go a game or two with some bots to go over the MOBA stuff a few times.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    The deck building part of it is pretty straight forward-
    • Want to crit? Take card x!
    • Want to do more damage? Take card y!

You then have some flexibility when you're upgrading your equipment cards during a game, because they each of three slots for upgrades. So you get an equipment damage card but the guy giving you trouble went for armor? Maybe upgrade that equipment with armor pen instead of raw damage. It's slightly more granular because of that approach.

If you do check it out let me know if you wanna go a game or two with some bots to go over the MOBA stuff a few times.

yeah will do thanks! I'm on the fence but I'm real close because I'm a sucker for the visual style

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited March 2016
    Beezel - I played a bit last night and it's indeed gorgeous.
    And it totally won me over in my few matches (against the AI) last night. Hopefully it won't be filled to the brim with the dregs of internet gamers like the other MOBAs I've played. =p I just group with you peeps and other friends usually anyway though so it won't be a big deal.

My only reservation is I don't like the 'last hit' system. So many times I wore down an enemy champion and a teammate swooped in and got the last hit. Though it seems like exp is shared a little bit in some cases, I just don't know the specifics yet.

I think Muriel is my favorite of the 4 I tried last night, and man her ultimate is awesome...though I have no idea how you aim it across the map.

Oh and I'm "vamenn" on there if anyone wants to do some matches. I'm still new to MOBAs so I'm probably not great at them, though I did pretty decently last night I felt =).

vamen on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm not really a MOBA guy. I like Smite well enough, but that's really the only one I've played. I tried to play Paragon on PS4 a couple weeks ago and got a message that I needed a founder's pack, so I bought one because I figured what the hell. Tried to play the game and got a message that I didn't have permissions and needed to make sure I bought a founder's pack. Went back to the store and the founder's pack was unavailable because "You already own this item". So that was vexing, and I kind of just forgot about the game. Randomly remembered about it last night, tried again, and it worked for whatever reason. After finally getting to try it out, it's really boring... The card system sounded ok until I realized it was just a RNG perk system. I only tried out Gadget and Muriel(?) and none of their attacks seemed particularly cool or powerful.

Smite is engaging and it always feels like shit's going down, but Paragon just felt like a big empty boring map. The announcer guy kept going crazy over stuff, but I have no idea what. Does it get better when the PvP mode unlocks? I don't really see how it would be that much different, but I'm not digging playing against the AI. I want to try to salvage it, and get some enjoyment out of the game, but I think I might just have to eat the $20 I spent =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'm not really a MOBA guy. I like Smite well enough, but that's really the only one I've played. I tried to play Paragon on PS4 a couple weeks ago and got a message that I needed a founder's pack, so I bought one because I figured what the hell. Tried to play the game and got a message that I didn't have permissions and needed to make sure I bought a founder's pack. Went back to the store and the founder's pack was unavailable because "You already own this item". So that was vexing, and I kind of just forgot about the game. Randomly remembered about it last night, tried again, and it worked for whatever reason. After finally getting to try it out, it's really boring... The card system sounded ok until I realized it was just a RNG perk system. I only tried out Gadget and Muriel(?) and none of their attacks seemed particularly cool or powerful.

Smite is engaging and it always feels like shit's going down, but Paragon just felt like a big empty boring map. The announcer guy kept going crazy over stuff, but I have no idea what. Does it get better when the PvP mode unlocks? I don't really see how it would be that much different, but I'm not digging playing against the AI. I want to try to salvage it, and get some enjoyment out of the game, but I think I might just have to eat the $20 I spent =/

Both of the characters you played are supports. Try someone like murdock or Gideon.

Alright, New Guy is awesome. Just carried a game hard with him, and I feel like I was participating in actually winning us the game. I definitely think his base damage on his primary ability is too high, I was clearing waves very quickly. His dash is REALLY nice, and I like the set up time for the root/slow he has. Makes it pretty balanced.

His ult really makes it feel that you can't do ANYTHING to deal with it. I think there needs to be a wind up time from activation to casting it, but I'm not sure. Built him as a fighter, would definitely do it again.

edited April 2016
    New caster character coming next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gELLHUK2WgY

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    That was awesome. I'm curious to see if they can keep up this hero release rate.

edited April 2016
    Patch note addressed a big concern about move speed. Gonna check this out tonight.

Aumni on
    I can't wait to try out the move speed changes.