As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dress code while off work?

2»

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    As of 15 minutes ago, my wife got an e-mail stating to disregard any recent changes in dress code policy, as a new dress code policy was going to be released by COB today.

Hah. Wow. That was fast.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So, reading up on this guy, apparently he's a former Navy officer. That makes sense, because the military has an off-duty dress code. I guess he hasn't been in the real world long enough to know that shit doesn't fly in the civvie world.

Good times.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Did this come out in a written announcment/communication or was it verbal during a meeting/town hall? Was it said that this is company-wide or specific to an organizational branch/particular group?

Any indication if HR is backing this policy, or even aware of it?

I don't know even how I would react to something like this.

edit: I was going to make a joke about airing your wife's dirty laundry here but it doesn't seem appropriate. ;)

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ah, missed page 2. Lol.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    I'm kinda sad that this didn't result in any pictures of a "business casual" pool party....

sig.gif
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »
    I'm kinda sad that this didn't result in any pictures of a "business casual" pool party....

Everyone just standing around, staring at an empty pool, looking depressed.

Jim from accounting goes wild, jumps in with everything on. Everyone stares for a minute.

Then Jim remembers his office mandated VPN key is still on his belt; that he owes the company another $50. Again.

Darn it Jim, respect your tools.

• mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    Lol. Glad this was resolved. As a note--there are jobs where you can be mandated, legally, to maintain a dress code out of work. Usually if you're the literal face of a company, as in a media representative, or a corporate "sales" person that's actually a model who works at trade shows, or major brand representatives--like the Flo lady from the insurance commercials.

That's always something stated up-front in a contract though, so everyone knows what they're in for. Definitely not cool for someone working in cube-land.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You're also generally compensated, handsomely, for such a contract.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    You're also generally compensated, handsomely, for such a contract.

Yeah being an actual spokesperson you're making money for that appearance rigidity. If you're working a regular 9 to 5 no one even know you work for whoever the fuck.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The company I work for did something similar years ago. See, we lost a $300,000 contract because someone in the company had their Facebook page pointing to our company as the place they work, and when the potential client looked our company up on Facebook, one of the first things he found was this employee's Facebook page with a picture of him half naked drinking from a beer bong.

So, our company instituted a policy that if you were going to connect any of your social media accounts to the company, then you were required to abide by the company's code of conduct at all times, as you were making yourself a public representative of the company. If you didn't want to do that, don't stick on Facebook that you work for the company. I felt that it was a fair policy.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That's reasonable.

Still somewhat crappy that's where we are these days, but it's fair to say that linking your work is saying that you are representing them, even if it's a personal profile.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    The company I work for did something similar years ago. See, we lost a $300,000 contract because someone in the company had their Facebook page pointing to our company as the place they work, and when the potential client looked our company up on Facebook, one of the first things he found was this employee's Facebook page with a picture of him half naked drinking from a beer bong.

So, our company instituted a policy that if you were going to connect any of your social media accounts to the company, then you were required to abide by the company's code of conduct at all times, as you were making yourself a public representative of the company. If you didn't want to do that, don't stick on Facebook that you work for the company. I felt that it was a fair policy.

A lot of bigger companies already employ social media monitoring, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was more commonplace in offer letters and the such.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The bigger issue will become one where companies fire people for stupid (but not illegal) shit they post online. Eventually the courts will decide just how much of our private lives are not our own.

Until then, stop posting stupid shit on the internet! Ahem.

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    So, reading up on this guy, apparently he's a former Navy officer. That makes sense, because the military has an off-duty dress code. I guess he hasn't been in the real world long enough to know that shit doesn't fly in the civvie world.

Good times.

Naval Officer, that's all that you needed to say.

At least he didn't make it so all males have to shave every day, even on weekends and females have to wear their hair up in a bun.

Also no tattoos! NONE!

Five more years of military service left for me. Then it's time to grow a great bushy beard and not cut my hair for a year!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    If she got a written notification of that policy coming out, send it to gawker or buzzfeed, that will shut down anything like this coming down the road pretty fast.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    And possibly your career as most internal emails explicitly state they're confidential.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Email disclaimers mean exactly squat. What would matter is if the content were protected via trade secrets, NDA, or something like attorney/client privilege.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    If I am reading the thread right. Considering the company is objecting on its employees behalf to whatever state agency handed down this rule to them. Posting on some click-back website is kind of a shithead move.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    If I am reading the thread right. Considering the company is objecting on its employees behalf to whatever state agency handed down this rule to them. Posting on some click-back website is kind of a shithead move.

?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

?

He's saying that since the post suggesting to send the memo to gawker came after your post telling us that HR has already done their job and stopped this policy, that it would be stupid.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png

?

He's saying that since the post suggesting to send the memo to gawker came after your post telling us that HR has already done their job and stopped this policy, that it would be stupid.

Oh I didn't even see that.

No, I wouldn't even do that regardless.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This thread caused a real weird dream for me, I dreamt that McDonald's had instilled a 24/7 dress code, but the off work code, was inflatable Sumo Suits, and just a large % of people everywhere were just walking around in an inflatable Sumo Suit.

Then I woke up, it was weird.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    This thread caused a real weird dream for me, I dreamt that McDonald's had instilled a 24/7 dress code, but the off work code, was inflatable Sumo Suits, and just a large % of people everywhere were just walking around in an inflatable Sumo Suit.

Then I woke up, it was weird.

Thats awesome.