As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony & Microsoft had a mid-cycle crisis: The Aftermath

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited November 2017 in Games and Technology
So back at an Xbox and Windows 10 Press Event last month, Phil Spencer was quoted, talking about breaking away from static, locked hardware
But he went much further than merely outlining internal strategies for cross-platform efficiency. He argued that consoles could and should be upgradeable, like PCs, and that the model of generation shifts may be coming to an end.

"We see on other platforms whether it be mobile or PC that you get a continuous innovation that you rarely see on console," he said. "Consoles lock the hardware and the software platforms together at the beginning of the generation. Then you ride the generation out for seven or so years, while other ecosystems are getting better, faster, stronger. And then you wait for the next big step function.

"When you look at the console space, I believe we will see more hardware innovation in the console space than we've ever seen. You'll actually see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation allowing the same games to run backward and forward compatible because we have a Universal Windows Application running on top of the Universal Windows Platform that allows us to focus more and more on hardware innovation without invalidating the games that run on that platform."

Spencer said that Xbox One owners could be offered optional hardware upgrades in the future, that allows the console to keep up with emerging and competing technologies. Such a move would also suggest an end for new console launches.

""I believe we will see more hardware innovation in the console space than we've ever seen.""

"We can effectively feel a little bit more like we see on PC, where I can still go back and run my old Doom and Quake games that I used to play years ago but I can still see the best 4K games come out and my library is always with me. Hardware innovation continues while the software innovation is able to take advantage and I don't have to jump a generation and lose everything that I played on before."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/11121666/xbox-one-hardware-upgrades-phil-spencer-microsoft

Later he clarified that he was not talking about physically upgrading existing Xbox consoles
“The feedback I’ve received about, ‘Hey, am I going to break open my console and start upgrading individual pieces of my console?’ That’s not our plan,” he said. “There’s something special with what happens with a console. You buy an appliance-like device. You plug it into your TV, and it just works when you plug it in. It’s not like I’m going to ship a screwdriver set with every console that comes out.”
Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/07/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-says-modular-console-upgrades-not-our-plan.aspx

These seemed to be simply musings about potentially futures for the console industry; fun things to discuss, but far away from anything concrete. Later at GDC, however, rumors that Sony was showing a PS4.5 started leaking.
Sony is currently planning a new version of the PS4 with increased graphical power and games running at 4K resolution, developer sources tell Kotaku.

We don’t know whether current PS4 owners will be able to upgrade or if they’ll have to buy an entirely new device to benefit from this power boost, but from what we hear, Sony has started briefing developers.

Based on conversations with developers who have spoken with Sony, this ‘PS4.5’ will include an upgraded GPU both to support high-end 4K resolution for games and add more processing power that can enhance the games supported by PlayStation VR, the headset Sony will launch this fall. It’s unclear if ‘PS4.5’ is an official name or just a nickname that developers have been using. One developer jokingly called it the ‘PS4K’ while telling me about the device.

Source: http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053 (and while it's from Kotaku, the writer of the article is the one who broke the Xbox One DRM 180 story back in 2013, so he has credibility.)

Interesting time for the industry! I wonder if we'll hear more at E3 this year.

Undead Scottsman on

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I bet we don't hear about it more at E3! From either company! And not only because I'm afraid of change!

Though more seriously, I think we'll see new revisions with the same hardware capabilities but in smaller, more power-efficient packages.

• Options
    Probably not! Though if Sony is indeed showing stuff off at GDC like as rumored, they may be further fairly along in the process. They could be within three months of having something concrete to show off at E3. Uncharted 4K or something.

Spencer's quotes don't feel like they have a lot of ugency behind them. They feel like explorative musings rather than laying out a plan. I'm not expecting them to show things off at E3. I suppose there's always the possibility that Spencer's comments were to get people ready for the idea when they drop it at E3, but I doubt it.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I really dislike full model upgrades like MS and Sony appear to be hinting at as they seemingly punish early adopters who already have te console. That said, I would be very okay with consoles being easily upgradable from the user end in a open up, plug and play fashion, similar to what steam machines were originally imagined up to be. Sony/MS could release the base console with future upgrades in mind, and then release those upgrades (graphics card, processor, etc.) themselves as they become available. The key here being the ease of install that originally appealed to console players in the first place.

Unfortunately, something like that wouldn't be able to pop up until next gen.

Edit: it would also be important for game devs to make sure their games still run on the base system without issue.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The thing about consoles is "Once you bought it you are done". So... I mean yeah, a modular thing like that weird Razer? concept with the plugin modules on a tower, sure, maybe, but the entire reason I do console is "to not deal with figuring out what to plug in".

I get that if you're a big PC gamer, it's just NBD at all, but that's not everyone.

Edit: And smaller, maybe, but the Xbox is as big as it is because it's mostly a giant fan and cooling; the thing is ridiculously quiet. If they can go smaller while keeping the same noise level, I'd see it, but I don't miss the 360 jet engine.

dporowski on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Part of me wants the modularness because I missed out on the 32x Sega CD shenanigans.

The other part of me slaps the shit out of the first part and points out how terrible that went for Sega.

Another part just wants a Crispy Creme.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I would just prefer that over the implied need to buy a new console at the risk of newer games having trouble running on the original. I believe someone in the Xbox thread mentioned the 360 having that issue, though I may be mistaken.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My take is they will market the new consoles as the 'hardcore' deluxe versions and upsell people on the idea. Maybe even offer a trade-in program through Gamestop and Best Buy where you can get credit off towards the new versions. Xbone needs it desperately, as often it gets the worst reviews from Digital Foundry and the like.

I would be very interested in it, especially an Xbone that can really take advantage of the snapping feature which is slow and sluggish to use sometimes. You can't easily snap a video app when playing games due to the RAM split.

I also think they could offer the slimmed down 'normal' versions without a Disc Drive but with a larger HDD. This way they can sell the old hardware at a cheaper price as a kinda 'mid-range' offer for cheap parents around Christmas.

I am pretty excited to see what happens here.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    LostNinja wrote: »
    I would just prefer that over the implied need to buy a new console at the risk of newer games having trouble running on the original. I believe someone in the Xbox thread mentioned the 360 having that issue, though I may be mistaken.

For Microsoft, they've been talking up their UWP platform. In essence, you'd design for the UWP first, and that will allow you to quickly get your game working on Xbox One, Windows, Surface or MS Phones. In theory, this would make developing for both an Xbox One and an Xbox OnePointFive very simple. If you're developing for PC too, then you'd likely already have the assets to ensure the game runs well on the Xbox One, but also has bells and whistles on the OnePointFive.

In theory, at least. :wink:

Dunno what Sony would have planned. Hopefully it's a little more than "Eh, you figure it out."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I really dislike full model upgrades like MS and Sony appear to be hinting at as they seemingly punish early adopters who already have te console. That said, I would be very okay with consoles being easily upgradable from the user end in a open up, plug and play fashion, similar to what steam machines were originally imagined up to be. Sony/MS could release the base console with future upgrades in mind, and then release those upgrades (graphics card, processor, etc.) themselves as they become available. The key here being the ease of install that originally appealed to console players in the first place.

Edit: it would also be important for game devs to make sure their games still run on the base system without issue.

So..

You want a PC.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ho boy, can't wait for games to start running like shit on purpose to encourage the upgrade. :tell_me_more:

Or maybe we'll just get exclusive to Xbone 2.7 and above games.

They're kinda eliminating the one advantage consoles have; closed box means not needing to try and keep up with whatever driver doesn't break your shit. Maybe it's overly cynical of me, but I feel like opening consoles up for upgrades means planned obsolesence. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options

That was a twofold problem; the older 360's had crappy glue in them and some games would run them so hot it would in effect kill the console (I remember GTAV bricking some older consoles, similar to the first wave of RRoD).
    Plus, they didn't think forward enough in offering HDD space. Later, games became so large no launch console could play them with out an upgrade. In both cases, hindsight was 20/20.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Buttcleft wrote: »

So..

You want a PC.

No.

As I said, I would just prefer modular upgrades as opposed to an entirely revised version of the same console in the form of an XBOX OnePointFive/PS4.5.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    edited March 2016

So..

You want a PC.
    Ho boy, can't wait for games to start running like shit on purpose to encourage the upgrade. :tell_me_more:

They're kinda eliminating the one advantage consoles have; closed box means not needing to try and keep up with whatever driver doesn't break your shit. Maybe it's overly cynical of me, but I feel like opening consoles up for upgrades means planned obsolesence. :I

These attitudes are archaic. Just like we have constant upgrades for phones, computers, tablets, etc etc, why can't consoles be as flexible? Used to be you only needed to upgrade every so often, but now? Things change quicker. And I am not advocating for completely scalable and modified consoles, just more than the one option presented.

The 3DS, 2DS and New 3DS are good examples. They realized they wanted something with a bit more punch to run some games, but not all. So they did a brilliant idea: they stripped the old hardware down and sold it cheaper, while positioning the successor as a niche but nice choice for gamer that care about niche games and better performance. It's not so insane when it's been done before and done well.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, I switched from iPhone to a Motorola cause my battery imploding after a year is lame. If expecting electronics to last longer than they do now is archaic, then I'll gladly be archaic. ;p

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options

So..

You want a PC.

These attitudes are archaic. Just like we have constant upgrades for phones, computers, tablets, etc etc, why can't consoles be as flexible? Used to be you only needed to upgrade every so often, but now? Things change quicker. And I am not advocating for completely scalable and modified consoles, just more than the one option presented.

The 3DS, 2DS and New 3DS are good examples. They realized they wanted something with a bit more punch to run some games, but not all. So they did a brilliant idea: they stripped the old hardware down and sold it cheaper, while positioning the successor as a niche but nice choice for gamer that care about niche games and better performance. It's not so insane when it's been done before and done well.

The entire point of consoles is "you bought one, you is done". Not "well, you bought one, but that was last year, now you can't play anything new lolz".

Apple takes shit for not supporting/apps not running well on the iPhone 4, which is positively ancient in mobile terms. How well would that go for a console?

• Options
    Just because you don't want upgrades doesn't make it a bad idea. It doesn't instantly invalidate the previous iterations.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Because many of us do not want to drop a lot of money overy year on a new phone, tablet, or computer either. I don't have a smart phone, I have one tablet (ipad mini), and one current console (ps4). When I bought the Ps4 it was supposed ti guarantee that I could play current games until the Ps5 came out, not until Sony decided that more money in the interim would be cool.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Yep, that is definitely a potential avenue of suck.

Ideally, I'd like for it to go on 8 year long cycle, 4 year short cycle.

So like PS4/Xbone in 2013, PS4.5/XB1.5 in 2017, PS5/XB2 in 2021, PS5.5/XB2.5 in 2025

Consoles are all backwards compatible, while each generation is fowards compatible for at least one short cycle. (So the PS4 can play PS4.5 games, the PS4.5 can play PS5 games etc. etc. Basically you can go .5 ahead, but not a full 1) Essentially consoles will get obsolete, but only after they've been eclipsed by a full generation after around 8 years, like how it would normally be. So if you want to stay out of the rapid mid-generation cycle, you can.

However, there's a lot of ways that can go sour, like iterating more than every 4 years or not having forwards compatibility. It'll be interesting to see what Sony and MS has to say when they start talking about this stuff.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

So..

You want a PC.

The entire point of consoles is "you bought one, you is done". Not "well, you bought one, but that was last year, now you can't play anything new lolz".

Apple takes shit for not supporting/apps not running well on the iPhone 4, which is positively ancient in mobile terms. How well would that go for a console?

Except not at all. You can't really just buy a console and call it done. You need internet to constantly update the console. You need more HDD space to store more games. There are constant variables after buying the console nowadays, we don't live in the days of dial-up anymore. Times have charged. These are problems that already exist for console owners.

• Options
    Except updating a console doesn't cost money; hell you can delete older games if you need hard drive space and don't want to buy a new storage solution. You're conflating console maintenance, which can be done for free, with upgrading console hardware, which most certainly will not be free.

• Options
    jclast wrote: »
    Because many of us do not want to drop a lot of money overy year on a new phone, tablet, or computer either. I don't have a smart phone, I have one tablet (ipad mini), and one current console (ps4). When I bought the Ps4 it was supposed ti guarantee that I could play current games until the Ps5 came out, not until Sony decided that more money in the interim would be cool.

They still release games for Old 3DS right? They release higher scale games all the time in the PC world. Just because something new and shint exists doesn't mean they will give up on older hardware. Hence why they still make 360/and PS3 games and only until 3 years ago still made PS2 games. Buying a console isn't a legally binding contract.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Except updating a console doesn't cost money; hell you can delete older games if you need hard drive space and don't want to buy a new storage solution. You're conflating console maintenance, which can be done for free, with upgrading console hardware, which most certainly will not be free.

Internet is free? More space on a HDD is free? What? I mean, just because you have to pay more money to make the console experience better doesn't mean the vanilla version of that hardware is suddenly useless.

Local H Jay on
  • Options

So..

You want a PC.

Except not at all. You can't really just buy a console and call it done. You need internet to constantly update the console. You need more HDD space to store more games. There are constant variables after buying the console nowadays, we don't live in the days of dial-up anymore. Times have charged. These are problems that already exist for console owners.

I also need power to keep it running. Internet is, at this point, a "utility", and literally needed for me to function professionally and personally. This may not be true for everyone, sure, but in my age/regional/professional bracket, it absolutely is.

The statement as written is true for me, though maybe not for you. I bought a console. I plugged it into the utilities and my TV. I am done until Xbox Two, and this is awesome.

• Options
    It boggles my mind how well apple has corrupted the culture with the idea of disposable goods.

used to be you bought something and expected it to last, now people are eager to shell out hundreds of dollars every 6 months for the latest piece of shit.

• Options
    Still making PS3/X360 games is a poor example, since the vast majority of those games now have a fraction of the work put in and thus turn out very shitty. Like, that's exactly what I'm worried is gonna happen to the current gen games. They'll take a dive in quality go show you how much you need the upgrade, like how apple kneecaps their old hardware via firmware updates.

Oh brilliant
  • Options

So..

You want a PC.

I also need power to keep it running. Internet is, at this point, a "utility", and literally needed for me to function professionally and personally. This may not be true for everyone, sure, but in my age/regional/professional bracket, it absolutely is.

The statement as written is true for me, though maybe not for you. I bought a console. I plugged it into the utilities and my TV. I am done until Xbox Two, and this is awesome.

It's not that simple. Just because you don't take the internet as a cost of a console doesn't mean it isn't one. Having access to updates, digital libraries, etc are services. You pay for PSN/XBL. You pay for more HDD space. You lay for upgrades to the system. Just because you don't want to fork over money for a better experience won't keep people from getting an Xbone 1.5.
    I don't see the major issue. I really doubt they are gonna full-stop quit making PS4 and Xbone games. If anything, they will release two scaled versions, one for launch consoles and one for expanded consoles. It isn't that hard, PC games do it already across thousands of configurations.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    On the one hand I don't like the idea of paying more money to play games anytime soon.

On the other hand I realize that expecting a 400 dollar machine to be cutting edge for 5+ years is silly.

If consoles want to stay competitive with pcs in terms of graphics they'll need to start doing upgrades sooner and sooner due to how fast the technology moves these days. I think the 360/PS3 era and even the PS2/Xbox era were abnormally long.

• Options

Internet is free?

It's not a cost of updating the Xbox unless that's the only reason you have the internet. You need electricity and a TV to run the Xbox too, are you factoring those into the cost?

More space on a HDD is free?

Let's flash back to the mid-90's. I was a wee lad on a 486/33 with a 430mb hard drive. We had windows and some other stuff on there, but in general, I was constantly filling that hard drive up with games and having to delete stuff to make room for other games. Neither I, nor my folks spent a single cent on a new storage solution. I probably reinstalled WarCraft II a half dozen times.
    I mean, just because you have to pay more money to make the console experience better doesn't mean the vanilla version of that hardware is suddenly useless.

Unless it's intentionally or unintentionally being made obsolete, which was the scenerio deporowski was suggesting.

• Options
    Your argument is kinda reminding me of this classic

i-JpfZqn4.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I thought about posting that, but I figured it'd just seem like I was belittling the argument.

• Options

Internet is free?

It's not a cost of updating the Xbox unless that's the only reason you have the internet. You need electricity and a TV to run the Xbox too, are you factoring those into the cost?

More space on a HDD is free?

Let's flash back to the mid-90's. I was a wee lad on a 486/33 with a 430mb hard drive. We had windows and some other stuff on there, but in general, I was constantly filling that hard drive up with games and having to delete stuff to make room for other games. Neither I, nor my folks spent a single cent on a new storage solution. I probably reinstalled WarCraft II a half dozen times.
    I mean, just because you have to pay more money to make the console experience better doesn't mean the vanilla version of that hardware is suddenly useless.

Unless it's intentionally or unintentionally being made obsolete, which was the scenerio deporowski was suggesting.

Exactly. Destiny was released for two consoles. The prior gen console was literally a drag on the experience for the current gen console. It was a limiter.

Now, you have current gen and current.5 gen consoles, and a game is released. The same scenario will play out, and eventually, "current" will be dropped from support, just like Destiny 2 is probably not going to support the 360/PS3.

This isn't malicious, this isn't "intentional obsolescence", this is simply "well, we're targeting all the new shiny stuff", like you naturally would. It's something that consoles have entirely avoided by their nature within a generation.

Also, seriously, "we have an offline solution, it's the 360" was enough to get someone fired. How much better do you think "just buy the new one!" is going to go over?

• Options
    I am just pointing out that people pay money to enrich thebconsole experience. You can buy all sorts of controllers and accessories, have access to the internet and their paid services, buy expanded HDD space and nobody bats an eye. It's this paranoid dystopian future where suddenly our precious black boxes are made obsolete before the inivisble expiration date. I really don't think it's gonna be an iPhone situation where every two years we buy all new consoles, but similar to what JusticeforPluto said and just have shorter console generations. This stigma of "man I hate how apple ruined everything" is just paranoia. People buy what sells, and obviously people want the best product available to them. It doesn't mean the video game apocalypse because consoles are becoming more PC-like.

• Options
    Your argument is kinda reminding me of this classic

[im g]https://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-JpfZqn4/2/O/i-JpfZqn4.jpg[/img]

I just remembered I own Crystal Chronicles and literally never played it. I don't think I even took the shrinkwrap off.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I definitely think Sony and Microsoft are interested in the iPad model of new versions every two or three years. I imagine a lot of games coming with a low/medium/high option for graphics and different versions being able to handle different settings. While most of us here aren't big fans of this idea, I think overall it's not a terrible one from a business perspective. If they screw up and name stuff like "WiiU" and confuse consumers it will be an issue. Also seriously depends on the actual solution. Maybe an extra box for a version or two, then you have to start doing total upgrades.

This is gonna be a fascinating mess to watch.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    @Undead Scottsman, you're pretty much reading my mind on how this would all.work with half step iterations and gradual deprication of old hardware.

Hell, it's not like all games would immediately stop coming out for the XB1 and PS4. There are plenty of not very demanding indie titles that would continue to still be compatible with these systems long into the XB2 and PS5's life. Since they still live within the same ecosystem, they have no problem still being sold those older consoles.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    I suspect that a lot of this discussion is due to the arrival of VR mid generation and that MS will end up releasing an Oculus Rift set-up that isn't compatible with their current boxes. All this talk is just to soften the blow to current owners.

Sony will in turn release a 4.5 system to maintain parity, but I don't necessarily think we are going to see an entirely new console development model come out of this.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I'm not particularly keen on the idea but we are already 2.5 years into this gen, so next gen isn't that far away regardless. Personally I think I'd rather wait a little longer and get a bigger upgrade though.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Last gen lasted about 6-7 years. We could be in for a long wait, again.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Nah, we've heard from enough people in the industry who acknowledge that last gen went on for way too long that that won't happen again. New generations are a key part of the industry, they provide a fresh shot of adrenaline to it and as a result, publishers tend to take a lot more risks.

Plus Microsoft and Sony don't really have the same problem they did last gen, where they'd lost so much money in the first 2-3 years of the generation that they kinda had to ride those consoles for as long as they could to try to make it up.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I do wonder if an incremental model for new consoles instead of the usual generation model would make publishers even more risk averse to new series than they already are.

The amount of new series arriving from big publishers at the end of the PS3/360's life was pretty much a trickle. I don't really want that mentality stretching out forever.

On the other hand, no real generation shifts might force more new series more often.

Cokomon on
    post.png