As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony & Microsoft had a mid-cycle crisis: The Aftermath

1535455565759»

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I don't game with headphones and didn't make that assumption, so I was thinking of a room full of speakers coupled with an Atmos capable AVR.

Yeah, gaming with headphones seems weird. I do need to get speakers for my TV but I play with the volume low so I"m not really sure I'd even get the full benefit.

Depends on the game.

Fortnite, Battlefield, The Division, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Call of Duty...I absolutely need to play those with headphones. Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge? My soundbar will work just fine.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I don't typically use my Logitech headphones as I want to hear if my wife calls me from the other room, but I am curious about the Windows Sonic bit and will try to remember to try it tonight.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I’m feeling like how the Xbox has insanely good spatial audio isn’t a big deal to people here and it bums me out because it makes me worry it won’t catch on. Once you experience it...

It's a thing like HDR, like UHD (or QHD) resolution, etc.

Remember, back in the height of the Xbox 360 (and the PS3), a popular message was decrying the graphical fidelity arms race. "Developers are wasting too much time on visuals and not enough on gameplay (as if the two are completely inseparable)! We've already hit the point of diminishing returns, more time needs to be spent on interesting mechanics and unique art direction!" Because not everyone can see that difference (or hear it), and not everyone cares who can. And there's a grain of truth behind it. Of course, were that the prevailing attitude, we'd have nicely designed games with varied color choices...running at 480i. Every game would be World of Warcraft circa 2006, not running at 1028 x 768.

Audio, as an area of design that exists on a very basic level no matter what, falls into that category in its own way. I'm kind of guilty of this myself, I use my TV's speakers for my Xbox One X (talk about a waste), though I do have Dolby Surround and 7.1-capable headphones for my PC (which I kind of wish I could use with my Xbox One X now...). I don't think I'll ever get a comprehensive sound system (honestly, I'd upgrade my TV again first), but good spatial headphones that work my consoles is definitely something I want to consider, ever since I saw the sort of insane complexity of the audio in Gears of War 4.

It's not too price prohibitive if you had some spare cash.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/18/16667176/the-best-gaming-headphones

The top XBOX ones come with an Atmos license and are $150 which is pretty nice for something that'll last years. The budget PC ones would work since the 3d sound is all software based on the xbox.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I don't typically use my Logitech headphones as I want to hear if my wife calls me from the other room, but I am curious about the Windows Sonic bit and will try to remember to try it tonight.

be sure to turn off any other sound processing you might have... like Astros have Dolby mixing so I have to toggle it off. The Atmos app or Insects demo (in games, but isn't a game) are good tech demos once configured.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I just use my Sony Gold headphones I bought for my PS4.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Welp, I snagged a Pro last night, transferred my stuff.

Good news: It does look great, looking forward to gaming on it.
    Bad news: Discovered last night that my 4k UHD tv I picked up end of last year to future proof myself a bit does NOT have HDR capability...

So, yeah, I could've sworn I did my homework on this set, but nope, turns out upon further research, this model is not HDR capable. So, I'm honestly a bit physically sick at the gut punch I received upon realizing that. It does have a nice 4k picture though!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Bad news: Discovered last night that my 4k UHD tv I picked up end of last year to future proof myself a bit does NOT have HDR capability...

So, yeah, I could've sworn I did my homework on this set, but nope, turns out upon further research, this model is not HDR capable. So, I'm honestly a bit physically sick at the gut punch I received upon realizing that. It does have a nice 4k picture though!

Like, for reals no HDR or the PS4 Pro isn't detecting HDR? I had a mini heart attack the other night when I checked my Xbone X settings and saw that HDR was greyed out...but then, after a little aspirin and breathing into a paper bag, I remembered that I'm running the HDMI cable through a soundbar/HDMI receiver (and said receiver is not HDMI 2.0...also, I was very likely using an HDMI 1.4 cable anyways). After plugging the HDMI cable that came with the Xbone X directly to the TV, HDR lit up and was enabled.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Like, for reals no HDR or the PS4 Pro isn't detecting HDR? I had a mini heart attack the other night when I checked my Xbone X settings and saw that HDR was greyed out...but then, after a little aspirin and breathing into a paper bag, I remembered that I'm running the HDMI cable through a soundbar/HDMI receiver (and said receiver is not HDMI 2.0...also, I was very likely using an HDMI 1.4 cable anyways). After plugging the HDMI cable that came with the Xbone X directly to the TV, HDR lit up and was enabled.

As far as I can tell, for real no HDR. It's not greyed out, it just says "not supported" or something. I have a Sceptre UHD 4k tv, and I honestly assumed it had HDR. :(
    I have this one (except I think mine is 50" not 55"): http://www.sceptre.com/overview-444.html.

I don't see where I have an option. However, I have everything set to "Automatic" for the Video output settings, so I assume it's doing whatever "the best it can" is. My Pro settings have these as options also: [2160P - YUV420] or [2160p- RGB]. Which one should I be using? I have it set to "Automatic", so I assume it's picking whichever one of those it best? This is confusing...

• Options
    Also, regarding my above post, I understand that HDR is a swanky upgrade; however, is it mostly just a color upgrade? Redder reds, whiter whites, etc.?
    I assume that my 4k tv, even without, is still getting an incredible boost?

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    My TV requires selecting [2160P - YUV420] in order to activate HDR functionality, but that product makes no mention of HDR, so I'm guessing it's simply not capable. While I personally find HDR much more relevant due to viewing distance (i.e., I sit close enough to my TV that 4K resolution is not especially relevant), HDR is more or less "just" a matter of redder reds and white whites.

• Options
    Precious Thread, I return.
    So, having bought the PS4 Pro a couple days ago, I think I may be returning it. I tried to ignore it, but the thing sounds like a dadgum jet engine and is getting way too hot for my tastes. With my lack of HDR, I have to be honest as well; I see a bit of the visual upgrade, but I'm not really noticing a huge difference. Also, my VUE channels just look...different now for some reason, and my wife and I can't quite place it. It's not a "good' different, either. I've fiddled with tv settings and what-not, but it's not doing it for me. I'm thinking I might return it (checked with Best Buy, turns out I can), and put the money toward a better tv that is 4k AND HDR, since mine is just 4k, then next year look back into an X or, check back into the Pro side of things. I had heard the Pro ran a bit louder than the slim, but the sound was beyond what I'm willing to put up with personally. It makes me sad, actually.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I've only noticed my Pro's noise when playing a game that's on-disc, which I no longer do. But yeah, as much as I appreciate my Pro, I only really own one because I got it deeply discounted. RE7 is one of the few games that seems to significantly benefit from it (in comparison to its performance on the base console) and I'm not sure that the future holds much sign that developers will suddenly squeeze out previously unknown benefits from it.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Also, regarding my above post, I understand that HDR is a swanky upgrade; however, is it mostly just a color upgrade? Redder reds, whiter whites, etc.?
    I assume that my 4k tv, even without, is still getting an incredible boost?

It's more subtle than that, although color range plays a part in it. The best example of the HDR effect I can give is a scene where someone is walking through a cave with a torch - the center of the fire should be so bright it is almost hard to look at it, the light should fall off naturally into shadows, and the places where it doesn't illuminate should be pitch black. That's why HDR and OLED are the cutting edge right now - the benefits of the two technologies play to each other's strengths (i.e. the ability to render solid natural blacks for OLED and the dynamic lighting of HDR).

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So, having bought the PS4 Pro a couple days ago, I think I may be returning it. I tried to ignore it, but the thing sounds like a dadgum jet engine and is getting way too hot for my tastes. With my lack of HDR, I have to be honest as well; I see a bit of the visual upgrade, but I'm not really noticing a huge difference. Also, my VUE channels just look...different now for some reason, and my wife and I can't quite place it. It's not a "good' different, either. I've fiddled with tv settings and what-not, but it's not doing it for me. I'm thinking I might return it (checked with Best Buy, turns out I can), and put the money toward a better tv that is 4k AND HDR, since mine is just 4k, then next year look back into an X or, check back into the Pro side of things. I had heard the Pro ran a bit louder than the slim, but the sound was beyond what I'm willing to put up with personally. It makes me sad, actually.

It is possible that there is a fan problem. I haven’t noticed my fan being much louder then the standard close to launch PS4 it replaced.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

You're not the first person to describe the PlayStation 4 Pro as "very loud." "Jet turbine loud" has also been thrown around on these forums. I honestly think what you're hearing is...normal?

The console is large enough that I don't think anyone expects to slip it into a small space, which works in its favor in this area, as wherever it's going can help dampen the sound (plus the matter of distance).

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, that loud ass fan is working as intended. Kind of annoying, but fortunately it only happens in certain instances like Nioh's menus (unsure of what it is about those instances that kicks the fan into overdrive...). I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to put up with it, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My Pro is also loud, but not louder than the actual TV so it doesn't bother me too much.

What does make me worry are the moments where it decides to go into maximum overdrive mode... except I'm paused on a menu screen. Often than not the work the console is doing doesn't reflect on what is actually happening on screen. And that makes me cock an eyebrow now and then.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    My Pro is also loud, but not louder than the actual TV so it doesn't bother me too much.

What does make me worry are the moments where it decides to go into maximum overdrive mode... except I'm paused on a menu screen. Often than not the work the console is doing doesn't reflect on what is actually happening on screen. And that makes me cock an eyebrow now and then.

The fan kicking into overdrive when the game is in an area that requires minimal strain is likely due to it trying to cool off the system without fighting whatever's making the processors heat up. It's easier to cool metal down if you don't have it under a flame, as it were.

edit: it seems to be a trend with a lot of PS4 Pro games though, the fan freaking out in pause menus.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, I guess I'll just be using headphones a lot when playing PS4, if the fan is really that big of an issue.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Really depends on how sensitive you are to the sound, or rather how easy you can ignore it? Here's a video comparison of the three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNR0FnHtmQ

Also seems like only certain games blast the fan when "idling" in pause menus from what I've read? IDK.

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Interesting video, so the PS4 Pro is actually more quiet than the standard Ps4. Not bad.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Jokes on you, my PC is way louder than everything.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Guibs wrote: »
    Interesting video, so the PS4 Pro is actually more quiet than the standard Ps4. Not bad.

That seems to refuge most of the feedback I've seen so far, but word-of-mouth is hardly definitive (nor is the video, to be honest).

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Guibs wrote: »

That seems to refuge most of the feedback I've seen so far, but word-of-mouth is hardly definitive (nor is the video, to be honest).

Of course. One of the most important factors would be the environment. Also, how level the surface the unit is placed on matters too. It's only one of many videos out there? IDK

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The optical drive on the PS4 Pro is pretty loud. I just don’t notice it because most of the games I play are digital.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)