As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    We have one at the makerspace, and I've used it for different projects. Was actually thinking about getting one myself.
    I'd say so. Getting to know the machine and figuring out what projects she's going to do with it. You dont want to much material that will sit around collecting dust.
    I imagine you'll need to pick up new sticky pads and her material of choice in like 3ish months though.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Any chance any one here has a Cricut machine? My wife is a teacher and has wanted one for years so for mother's day we grabbed one. I bought a thing with some vinyl, a little set of cards, and a pack of card stock. Is that enough to give her materials to mess with for a week or so?

We have an Explore 2. Yes that's plenty for getting the hang of things. The software in particular does take some getting used to, so expect at least a small amount of trial and error.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Finally done with these damn things

x2lj95mndgtz.jpeg

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Haven't yet blocked the other shawl, but I'm on to some homespun found in a local op shop from my sister's collection. We are also contemplating some yarny orders...

odd face
    IMG_20200509_155225931_HDR_medium2.jpg

even face
    IMG_20200509_155240145_HDR_medium2.jpg

i am loving the wrong side texture, so i'm about to start a band of it as contrast on the right side. then i can decide if it 'll just be the one, the remainder, or alternating.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    In January, I ordered a hand made porcelain jointed doll. It's finally complete and is about to be shipped to me! The hair was even dyed to my specifications!

cw9bk8g8j0v1.png

I added a censorship bar to make this SFW, hope that was enough.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm entering project overload!

Fretboard
    (2) Guitar body blanks
    a smokehouse
    my GF asked me to make a pedalboard!

and the place I buy wood is definitely closed and will be for quite some time

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Fretboard
    (2) Guitar body blanks
    a smokehouse

I haven't called, but also was thinking about how I could be picking up lumber. Was also trying to figure out about buying stuff online.
    I think exotic lumber is open also, but that price is certainly higher.

ocooch hardwoods has some stuff, and I have a few people at the space who have purchased from them.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Fretboard
    (2) Guitar body blanks
    a smokehouse

I haven't called, but also was thinking about how I could be picking up lumber. Was also trying to figure out about buying stuff online.
    I think exotic lumber is open also, but that price is certainly higher.

ocooch hardwoods has some stuff, and I have a few people at the space who have purchased from them.

I'm definitely not opposed to ordering online or exotic lumber .... but knowing what I could be paying stops me every time

• Options
    Hah, yeah. That guys prices are hard to beat.

Oh, also I got second place in the carbide3d contest! Pretty happy about that!
    There's another contest (which was super quick!), and mulling over ideas for this next one.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I finally got the replacement part that I needed to start working on my model Vespa again! I've been working on it since this afternoon, but I'm leaving off for the evening. Here's the engine currently:

dxhermfkbq72.jpg

Also, the instructions are in British English, so when it got to a part called the "silencer" I was puzzled for a bit because here in the USA a silencer is a part that goes on a gun. I wondered if it was just some special thing that Vespa's have, then, before I put it together, the instructions showed a diagram of where it goes on the vehicle and I finally figured out it's a muffler. So there's a word I didn't know was different across the pond.

clxbbqh2th3i.png

Edit: Next day, and front wheel with suspension is completed:

y8fac6dwx01w.jpg

Edit: Oh, it so pretty with the mud guard!

q140363x6ula.jpg8ydk340cvy8q.jpg

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I had entirely too much fun with the router sled I made

k78t3gekh1z9.jpg

blxz4cg116r1.jpg

vx8senoodpcc.jpg

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Any chance any one here has a Cricut machine? My wife is a teacher and has wanted one for years so for mother's day we grabbed one. I bought a thing with some vinyl, a little set of cards, and a pack of card stock. Is that enough to give her materials to mess with for a week or so?

I have also wanted one for a while now, let me know how it goes!

It was great. We've printed a little sample and then a vinyl decal for a laptop and it works great. I can absolutely see it being a slippery slope of accessories though. I think she plans on putting a good hundred bucks into it for quarantine/summer projects.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

It was great. We've printed a little sample and then a vinyl decal for a laptop and it works great. I can absolutely see it being a slippery slope of accessories though. I think she plans on putting a good hundred bucks into it for quarantine/summer projects.

Your local library might have accessories available for checkout; ours has a few anyways. You can save a great deal of money that way, a lot of the extra stuff is very niche case.

• Options
    The chassis is coming along

vee3kvkzrtk9.jpgneteetigywjq.jpg

I completed the seat yesterday:

vusmkqx8c0h4.jpg

• Options
    My sander tracking will not adjust for lovin' or money =/

belt goes right into the body in less than a second no matter if the tracking knob is all the way out or all the way in

• Options
    Getting this front half together has been the most difficult so far.

uh4t1o16t8jc.jpg

• Options
    I fixed the sander tracking!

there was a bunch of crap gumming up the spring in the tension knob that was preventing it from compressing the whole way!

• Options
    I made a wax seal stamp thing!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Oh that turned out super well!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh that is amazing! I wonder if you could do a stamp? Like for stamping paper week ink?

• Options
    Oh hey, I totally have a rubber stamp type thing I got a while ago. Let me add that to the todo list!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular

Your local library might have accessories available for checkout; ours has a few anyways. You can save a great deal of money that way, a lot of the extra stuff is very niche case.

Our libraries are all closed, but it's stuff I'd see her reusing. Obviously one is a full set of markers/pens because it came with just one. She mentioned the scorer to make creases was in a lot of the projects she looked at, and then materials in general. We need to find it a permanent home first, it's rather large.

• Options
    A while back I bought an old craftsman industrial belt sander for $15

I refurbished it and finally got to take it for a spin!

It weighs a ton but by golly it works well. The tracking is a bit weird though.

z7qskxpq00cq.jpg

this is at 600 grit after I raised the grain and resanded
    yl80gx5pzl3q.jpg

there are a few rough spots here and there, but it still saved me hours of sanding =)

• Options
    took it to a local guy with a band saw (had mask, practiced distancing, used hand sanitizer, washed hands 20 seconds after getting home) and got the slab cut!

tzqorra33mgg.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Of course I didn't make this dress, but I bet there are some crocheters on the forums who might be inspired by it:

https://imgur.com/gallery/XR7uGKp

• Options
    Connecting front to back was the hardest step so far.

dzsvg57612w8.jpg

I might get this completed today, but for now I need a break.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ok I absolutely need to do something about the natural light in my bedroom, or rather the complete lack thereof. I think it's making my sleep patterns even worse than they would be normally, and it's certainly making me not want to get up in the morning because every day looks dark and gloomy.

I bought a natural-spectrum alarm-clock light which rather sweetly fades up to really bright daylight over the course of half an hour ... and then freaking turns itself off (I am utterly baffled at this design choice, why would I want my room to get dark again?).
    I was planning on just hacking it, but they've done an excessively good job sealing it, and I will probably crack the plastic trying to get in. I might still try, mind you.

Other schemes on the table include:
    - setting up a carefully orchestrated series of angled mirrors to bounce light in from the full-height south-facing windows in the living/kitchen area
    - rigging up my own wifi-enabled smart light using a couple very bright LED panels and a microcontroller (this one is low budget and most appealing to me but would of necessity be an ugly solution until I can get back into the office and use the 3D printers. Also I want it running off mains, ideally, so I'd need to buy a relay and then it becomes a similar price to an off-the-shelf purchase)
    - buying a bunch of smart lightbulbs (the boring but easy solution).

anyway I'm more annoyed at this lamp now I realise i can't break into it with a screwdriver. It's like they don't even want you to fuck around with their stuff.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Just make sure the mirror guy isn't named Aziz.

• Options
    try a daylight lamp maybe?

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    ok I absolutely need to do something about the natural light in my bedroom, or rather the complete lack thereof. I think it's making my sleep patterns even worse than they would be normally, and it's certainly making me not want to get up in the morning because every day looks dark and gloomy.

I bought a natural-spectrum alarm-clock light which rather sweetly fades up to really bright daylight over the course of half an hour ... and then freaking turns itself off (I am utterly baffled at this design choice, why would I want my room to get dark again?).
    I was planning on just hacking it, but they've done an excessively good job sealing it, and I will probably crack the plastic trying to get in. I might still try, mind you.

Other schemes on the table include:
    - setting up a carefully orchestrated series of angled mirrors to bounce light in from the full-height south-facing windows in the living/kitchen area
    - rigging up my own wifi-enabled smart light using a couple very bright LED panels and a microcontroller (this one is low budget and most appealing to me but would of necessity be an ugly solution until I can get back into the office and use the 3D printers. Also I want it running off mains, ideally, so I'd need to buy a relay and then it becomes a similar price to an off-the-shelf purchase)
    - buying a bunch of smart lightbulbs (the boring but easy solution).

anyway I'm more annoyed at this lamp now I realise i can't break into it with a screwdriver. It's like they don't even want you to fuck around with their stuff.

Sounds like work needs to get you a 3d printer for home use...
    In 3d printing news. I got a new plant that was going to go into my bulbasaur planter.
    But the bulbasaur planter I had was too small. So I printed a new one at 200% (which should fit the plant I have).
    17 hours of printing later and this thing is amazing.
    Also hilariously large.

hCoyzWi.jpg

I'm debating on sanding/painting, but not sure about it. I think it looks pretty cool as is, just not sure how the plastic (PETG) will hold up to sunlight exposure over time.
    Also kind of want to make a mold for a concrete version.

• Options
    Paint it with automotive paint and it'll last outside for years. You'll need to find an automotive paint compatible with the plastic you used, and you're going to be buying some expensive spray cans, but a couple of layers of high fill undercoat (to smooth it out), a base, two colour coats and a UV-cut clear and it'll last in direct sun for about 30 years.

• Options
    Paint it with automotive paint and it'll last outside for years. You'll need to find an automotive paint compatible with the plastic you used, and you're going to be buying some expensive spray cans, but a couple of layers of high fill undercoat (to smooth it out), a base, two colour coats and a UV-cut clear and it'll last in direct sun for about 30 years.

I think this will mostly be an inside planter but sitting on the windowsill.
    But going to pick up some auto paint now. Think this is a great idea thanks!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    try a daylight lamp maybe?

I have one, (my alarm light), but I need to make it come on at the appropriate time.

• Options
    Getting pretty close to done. Just attached the seat.

nnk2ccnx8ei1.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Working on my new winter jumper.

1ca2huhc8gwr.jpg
    t02mgwqq5531.jpg

The main colour is a polwarth/possum blend. it's got this amazing halo to it, it's undyed and smells wonderfully sheepy. and once it's washed it becomes this warm, cozy, fuzzy, stretchy fabric that is just heaven.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Art thread!
    @tynic and I (also tagging @Cello if you want to join) are going to be doing a google hangout thing tomorrow (23rd) at 9 East Coast Time. I think tynic is going to use it as a booze and hack, I'm going to use it as a venting about how I'm not great at coding/thinking up other ideas for a contest and likely booze. You can join and listen, or talk, or booze.
    Send me a PM with your e-mail, and I'll e-mail you a google hangouts invite.

Edit: we could make this a semi-regular thing if you folks want. We could also shift time for schedules in the future.
    Edit 2: I don't need your e-mail maybe? I think I can just toss a link to you.
    Edit 3: No webcam needed.

Radiation on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'll be there and I'll bring beer

• Options
    went ahead and made a neck blank (ash is so much easier to work than maple!!). took maybe 15 minutes tops, so I guess I'm getting better at the whole guitar thing lol
    5brz3zyewc9b.jpg

cut part of the head on my wee bandsaw
    rwai3aj7hubg.jpg

and rough sanded the top
    a1kezlm08c5w.jpg

now I need to order a truss rod so I can do the rest

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    @lonelyahava where did you get that yarn? A cursory googling seems to imply Wild Earth Possum/Polwarth isn't available anymore, but also I don't know if that's what that is.

Also, what's the contrast yarn? It's lovely :heartbeat:

@Radiation I don't know if I'll have the wherewithal to be up that early, but may I have a link anyway?

• Options
    Sent a message. Didn't want to post a link here.