As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    I am a high tension knitter I think, probably because I am tense person in general
    As you get more accustomed to knitting, you might find you relax in gauge. It's pretty common for beginning knitters to have tight tension for awhile.

My sister generally knits tight, but she also has very even tension, so she usually just sizes up her needle to get the fabric she wants. There's other tricks if it's a problem.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It's not a problem any more, it was when I first started and used to struggle to get the needle into my stitches sometimes. It's a bit more of an issue in crochet, I have to remind myself to relax it a bit when I first get going.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    hey @Radiation

I might wanna see about getting one of your cutting boards later in spring too. I only have a tiny plastic one to small to chop anything on with my chefs knives.

might also ask you about another fun project idea I had in pms if that's ok?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Of course!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    If one or more of you could @ me maybe once every 3 days and tell me to stop buying vintage tools off facebook marketplace I'd appreciate it!
    wait there are vintage tools on facebook marketplace??

... you ever have the feeling of being poised on an extremely dangerous precipice?

which reminds me, I went to a salvage/vintage warehouse on the weekend to get some kind of wall decoration thing to cover or hang over a wall plug that's in a stupid spot. Not feeling fussy, was vaguely thinking maybe an old timey lamp, but could also have been anything up to and including a decorative wooden parrot.

... well I came home with this

3ggu3p7fk46k.jpg

circa 1950, beautifully maintained, one belt drive and grub screw away from fully working condition (though I have a perfectly good sewing machine and this thing weighs a TON so I don't know that I'll bother bringing it up to spec right now).

It's unnecessary and pointless and I love it.
    (Never did get that lamp though.)

That machine looks amazing!
    Also if you're wanting to design a thing, I'd be happy to machine it for you wrt the lamp or whatever. Small machine is 8x8x3 for workspace and I have an easier time using that machine. A lamp has been on the wanting to do project list for a while. We could chat about that on the next hangout?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    If one or more of you could @ me maybe once every 3 days and tell me to stop buying vintage tools off facebook marketplace I'd appreciate it!
    wait there are vintage tools on facebook marketplace??

... you ever have the feeling of being poised on an extremely dangerous precipice?

which reminds me, I went to a salvage/vintage warehouse on the weekend to get some kind of wall decoration thing to cover or hang over a wall plug that's in a stupid spot. Not feeling fussy, was vaguely thinking maybe an old timey lamp, but could also have been anything up to and including a decorative wooden parrot.

... well I came home with this

3ggu3p7fk46k.jpg

circa 1950, beautifully maintained, one belt drive and grub screw away from fully working condition (though I have a perfectly good sewing machine and this thing weighs a TON so I don't know that I'll bother bringing it up to spec right now).

It's unnecessary and pointless and I love it.
    (Never did get that lamp though.)

That is a beautiful machine!

and you can get an awful lot of stuff from FB marketplace (unfortunately for my wallet). I only buy from local people though since shipping can be whatever people want it to be.

• Options
    got all the new bottoms cut for the drawers

the color actually matches a lot better than the picture would have you believe

pctx0gq26te2.jpg

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Well since you asked... @Xaquin DON'T BUY MORE HAND TOOLS

Okay that’s fine

But what if u did, tho??

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I looked for some today but I didn't see any

oh shit but I bought a lot yesterday =/

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Well if you weren’t buying and restoring tools, you’d be engaged in less wholesome activities. Like staying up late and telling dirty jokes!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to see that fully restored!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Progress on the jumper I'm knitting (edit because yes it was huge)

4ww4b741dp70.jpg

It's taking forever. Jumpers are big, who knew? Just started the 3rd skein of yarn out of 8. I really like all the different patterns though, stops it being boring. Also I've really got the hang of fixing bits, which makes me happy. The other day I noticed a mistake in the middle of some cabling, so I had to unpick a section of 8 stitches to 5 rows back and fix it, and then redo the cable back up. And it actually worked.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That's amazing!

I haven't yet purposefully laddered back to fix a thing like that before. I either leave it out I tink all the way back.

That pattern is stunning as well.

• Options
    I was unpicking entire rows previously but it just took so long so I forced myself to do it by laddering (did not know that term so thanks). I had to use a cable needle, a crochet needle, and 5 locking stitch markers, and it probably didn't actually go any quicker, but it was satisfying.

Yarn for my mum's hat arrived today. I got 100% merino wool, undyed, one chocolate brown and one light cream. It's ridiculously soft and I am kind of jealous now because dammit I want a hat made of this.

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Well if you weren’t buying and restoring tools, you’d be engaged in less wholesome activities. Like staying up late and telling dirty jokes!

I bought a set of letter punches today

because I already have number punches and I don't want them to be lonely!

• Options
    I guess I'm mulling over doing a restoration type youtube thing

I dunno

It'd realistically cost maybe a couple hundred for a mediocre camera, card, tripods, and lights

I'm not really worried about making money off it so that's not really a concern, but I'd at least like it to look nice.

I'd start small with little hand tools and do larger projects as time allows.

it is tax return season

• Options
    Xaquin

You need to do this

You need to set up a YouTube channel and a patreon

Make sure you tell me when it’s going to be going live, I want to be your very first patron

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    oh I don't know about a patreon

I've got a day job and three kids

I'm not even sure I'll have time for a youtube channel, but I'd really like to

• Options
    amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    I've been wanting to make a doily dream catcher for my daughter's room for a while, but I've been avoiding making a doily for years because they're kind of a pain to make. I finally made one, though, and I actually enjoyed making it. I really like how it turned out, too. Next, I need to attach it to a hoop and find some things to hang from the bottom.
    661bdywqczoh.jpg

• Options

I dunno

It'd realistically cost maybe a couple hundred for a mediocre camera, card, tripods, and lights

I'm not really worried about making money off it so that's not really a concern, but I'd at least like it to look nice.

it is tax return season

Nice! I just took the plunge and got a camera myself for cnc videos. Hopefully they aren't terrible.

Well I mean the first couple likely will be.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I dunno

it is tax return season

I think it would be fun.

Though through my YouTube channels, a lot of creators recommend in investing on audio first. People will forgive poor image quality from a phone, but if the audio is bad it can make it difficult to put up with for a long time.

• Options
    oh I don't know about a patreon

I've got a day job and three kids

I'm not even sure I'll have time for a youtube channel, but I'd really like to

Oh don’t want to put any pressure on you, I just think it does give you more incentive to a) stay with it
    b) invest in it if the cost gets offset by the patreon

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake T wrote: »

I dunno

it is tax return season

I think it would be fun.

Though through my YouTube channels, a lot of creators recommend in investing on audio first. People will forgive poor image quality from a phone, but if the audio is bad it can make it difficult to put up with for a long time.

most restoration videos don't have great audio on account of it being nothing but filing and sanding!

• Options

I dunno

it is tax return season

I think it would be fun.

most restoration videos don't have great audio on account of it being nothing but filing and sanding!

Gotta get some good music!

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

I dunno

it is tax return season

I think it would be fun.

I think I'm going to hire my son to make a 15 or 20 second intro jingle

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I dunno

it is tax return season

I think it would be fun.

I wish more restoration/machining videos just cut all the audio and replaced it with some nice music.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I'm working on a gorgeous test knit for my fave designer and it's for a summer top. I'm using this amazing bamboo/linen blend and it's just been a delight to knit with.

I'm looking forward to going back to my wool and silk blends, but I'm also living the hand of this fabric that I'm making. Can't wait to get this finished.

Ooh, post the link when it's done and you're allowed (if you don't mind, obvs)!

@Calica
    this is the link for the linen top that I'm making (I still have just about 30 more rounds to go)
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/urchin-12

it's not available for direct purchase yet, but it should be next year sometime.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Thank you!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    So, there was a map related contest thingie on the cnc forums.
    I did a project a while ago that I was...somewhat happy with.
    Took the Japan flag and then overlayed a Mt Fuji topography on top:
    nB8p0ZB.jpg

I thought the idea was good, but the Japan flag seemed not defined enough or something? Or it wasn't obvious? I don't know.
    Anyways! I liked the concept so I wanted to do a different flag/country or state. Colorado seemed like the perfect fit for it. State is mostly flag shaped. The flag is simple and interesting. I ended up not having enough time to test dyes to get a white wood blue, so I just used walnut instead.

SQDyb1Om.jpg
    tmQWoB2m.jpg
    A10HaOkm.jpg

Mostly happy with the result, I think the wood colors look pretty great, but there's a gap that I mostly filled, but still not super happy with. I think I'll give it another try, but that might be down the road. Also likely going to make a box and have that be the box lid for the next one.

Radiation on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Figure this is related to arts and crafts!

So I'm working on displaying my D&D stuff, and one thing I want to prominently display are my minis and their associated dice from completed campaigns. Does anybody have any recommendations of adhesives that aren't permanent? I don't want to damage the dice or the mini if I remove them and use them at some point, but I want them stuck to the base well enough not to wiggle. Also I'd prefer something super thin so there isn't a noticeable gap between the dice and the base. One of my friends recommended blue tack, but I wanted to see if anybody had any other options as well.

hdkzlj1s2hqz.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hrm with the mini you could just use magnet but the dice I dunno

• Options
    Masking tape on both things (you can trim it down to size) then a small bit of super glue. Like super small.
    It's strong enough to hold shit to my machine while milling. Also I think it's like .4mm? so pretty damn thin.
    Alternatively hot glue usually comes off things fairly easily. put a small bead down and smash the dice into it and cut any squeeze out away.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    nB8p0ZB.jpg

I thought the idea was good, but the Japan flag seemed not defined enough or something? Or it wasn't obvious? I don't know.
    Anyways! I liked the concept so I wanted to do a different flag/country or state. Colorado seemed like the perfect fit for it. State is mostly flag shaped. The flag is simple and interesting. I ended up not having enough time to test dyes to get a white wood blue, so I just used walnut instead.

SQDyb1Om.jpg
    tmQWoB2m.jpg
    A10HaOkm.jpg

Mostly happy with the result, I think the wood colors look pretty great, but there's a gap that I mostly filled, but still not super happy with. I think I'll give it another try, but that might be down the road. Also likely going to make a box and have that be the box lid for the next one.

I would collect an entire mape of the US that is built like that.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah hot glue should be totally fine for that stuff.

Hi-tech answer: You could also 3D print a floor insert with impressions conforming to the dice shapes and minis. Get the fit tight enough to hold them (but just on the bigger side of a press fit) and it should be about as robust as some light glueing.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Doodmann wrote: »
    nB8p0ZB.jpg

SQDyb1Om.jpg
    tmQWoB2m.jpg
    A10HaOkm.jpg

I've certainly had that thought. Some states would be pretty easy or neat. (Looking at you New Mexico) I think others would be quite a bit more complicated (the boring state flags with their stupid seals or whatever). I was wanting to sort of do a US topography map where each state was made from the state tree, or something similar. But not sure how easy it is to get all the wood species.

related image found from googling:
    US_STATE_FLAGS-veterans_flag_depot__42863.1583445106.jpg?c=2

I think I'm going to try and redo the Colorado one at a larger scale eventually and maybe try and sell it on etsy or some garbage.
    I also thought some of the states would make neat little boxes. Like Arizona or New Mexico. You have the shape of the state be the box body.

Radiation on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    nB8p0ZB.jpg

SQDyb1Om.jpg
    tmQWoB2m.jpg
    A10HaOkm.jpg

I've certainly had that thought. Some states would be pretty easy or neat. (Looking at you New Mexico) I think others would be quite a bit more complicated (the boring state flags with their stupid seals or whatever). I was wanting to sort of do a US topography map where each state was made from the state tree, or something similar. But not sure how easy it is to get all the wood species.

related image found from googling:
    US_STATE_FLAGS-veterans_flag_depot__42863.1583445106.jpg?c=2

I think I'm going to try and redo the Colorado one at a larger scale eventually and maybe try and sell it on etsy or some garbage.
    I also thought some of the states would make neat little boxes. Like Arizona or New Mexico. You have the shape of the state be the box body.

Yeah I feel like you could abstract them a bit, and make blue natural wood.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Figure this is related to arts and crafts!

So I'm working on displaying my D&D stuff, and one thing I want to prominently display are my minis and their associated dice from completed campaigns. Does anybody have any recommendations of adhesives that aren't permanent? I don't want to damage the dice or the mini if I remove them and use them at some point, but I want them stuck to the base well enough not to wiggle. Also I'd prefer something super thin so there isn't a noticeable gap between the dice and the base. One of my friends recommended blue tack, but I wanted to see if anybody had any other options as well.

hdkzlj1s2hqz.jpg

nvm. I need to read better lol. mini looks awesome though

breton-brawler on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    yeah hot glue should be totally fine for that stuff.

Hi-tech answer: You could also 3D print a floor insert with impressions conforming to the dice shapes and minis. Get the fit tight enough to hold them (but just on the bigger side of a press fit) and it should be about as robust as some light glueing.

Yeah I was essentially thinking of the low tech version of this, just cutting some indents into that base. Might take a bit of figuring with some of the more complex polyhedrals, but it should be doable.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    This is when I wish I had a CNC or 3d printer. I could do it by hand but it would be a pain in the ass.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I may know a guy with a CNC who basically does dumb stuff with it all the time.
    Edit: Basically offering up my robot services.

Also you could look at grabbing a 3d printer eventually and then build a MPCNC or something similar!

Radiation on