As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    oh man it never occurred to me to knit with linen fibre. I love that idea!

Linen is awesome for summer knits. It's sturdy and drapey and cool (in the temperature sense), and it's washable!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Calica wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    oh man it never occurred to me to knit with linen fibre. I love that idea!

Linen is awesome for summer knits. It's sturdy and drapey and cool (in the temperature sense), and it's washable!

Oh i've definitely worn knitted linen! I just never thought it was something I could buy (either I haven't seen it at yarn shops, or (more likely) I haven't been paying attention)
    I kind of stopped knitting when I moved to the bay area because it's a reflexive nesting winter behaviour for me, and this place doesn't get cold enough to generate that impulse. But maybe I could summer knit? hmmm...

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so my top is bamboo/linen (70/30) blend. the designer used a linen/cotton/viscose blend by DMC (Natura I think is the name). There were others testers using other various blends as well, including who did hers in 100% mulberry silk.

Some of the other blends used were pure linen, linen/cotton, and a few have gotten a linen/cotton/raimie (sic?) blend which is some kind of a nettle fibre.

Mine used up about 990meters of yarn, for a size big enough to it my body, with added a-line shaping all the way down.

The same designer has just released a new tank today called Reef that I think would look *amazing* on you @tynic
    https://www.trulymyrtle.com/shop/reef

Actually, Libby has a few tops that I think you would look *amaaazing* in, like Adira and Nuala.

I just remembered I do have some skeins of wool-silk blend, but apparently i only have three, which probably isn't enough for anything serious.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What size needles did that take, ahava? (I never know how to abbreviate your name, calling you 'lonely' feels weird!) The stitches look tiny.

It's really nice. Great colour too.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The body was 3.5mm and the hems/cuffs were 3.25mm.

Nic, if they're 3 skeins of 100g/400m I promise you that you can get something for you out of it. Most of my summer tops have all been under 1200m and I am most definitely in need of more yarn than you would be.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh you mean like one of my favorite maps of Europe?

68sjsnt5b7rf.png

Denmark is that old lady from every Miyazaki movie.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well now I want to try knitting myself a linen shirt.

Got to finish this jumper first though. Which I will probably accomplish right as it gets too warm to wear a thick woolly jumper. Meaning I will then probably finish the lightweight linen shirt just in time for next winter. I really should have been better organised about starting this hobby.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Airbrush is neat and fun. and I don't have experience with them but the only real issue with this one seems to be the short run time of 1 hour and it's hard to clean. Oh I guess the psi is pretty low too so it can't push as much air as a full compressor but it's fine for priming a model. I just gotta get the paint viscosity right. I think I thinned out too much this test. So it took longer than it should have.

edited February 2021
    First batch of stuff I need for my new project arrived

d906o2ur8p3c.jpg

24 skeins of thread, out of the 159 total I'm going to need to do a full coverage cross stitch that hopefully won't look awful when I'm done.

I haven't done cross stitch in years, and then only small kits. This is a pattern I made myself using a website that turns pictures into charts. It's going to be about 56*41cm (22*16 inches) on 25 count fabric which I've never used before, and will take 180,873 stitches. I was browsing r/CrossStitch today and saw someone post a piece she's just finished which is 18*18 inches on 25 count and it took her just over a year so I will probably be an old wizened husk by the time I get this done.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Airbrush is neat and fun. and I don't have experience with them but the only real issue with this one seems to be the short run time of 1 hour and it's hard to clean. Oh I guess the psi is pretty low too so it can't push as much air as a full compressor but it's fine for priming a model. I just gotta get the paint viscosity right. I think I thinned out too much this test. So it took longer than it should have.
    Big thing that my dad trained me on was to start air first and stop air last with airbrushing. The paint does need to be pretty thin, but I'm not sure what that ratio is.
    Cleaning can be a thing that can take a bit, but I don't recall it being a thing that was too hard. I think just using the thinner and run it through the airbrush after emptying it out.

PSN: jfrofl
    edited February 2021
    Radiation wrote: »
    Big thing that my dad trained me on was to start air first and stop air last with airbrushing. The paint does need to be pretty thin, but I'm not sure what that ratio is.
    Cleaning can be a thing that can take a bit, but I don't recall it being a thing that was too hard. I think just using the thinner and run it through the airbrush after emptying it out.

Yeah honestly using the thing was pretty intuitive for me. Air-pigment-air-stop seems obvious if you know how they work and I used some water to test it last night on a paper plate.

Cleaning did take a couple fills of 91% isopropyl run through the thing and I had to brush out the tip after to get some dried on paint off. Probably because it's primer (which dries different than regular acrylic) that I thinned out extra (it says on the bottle is prethinned for airbrushes but this is only 20 some psi so I was playing it a little safe) and the air hitting the thin primer dried it onto the tip a bit as a gooey lump. It came with a brush though thankfully.

My mom is going to give me some acetone
    nail polish remover which should work even better than the isopropyl honestly.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    First batch of stuff I need for my new project arrived

24 skeins of thread, out of the 159 total I'm going to need to do a full coverage cross stitch that hopefully won't look awful when I'm done.

I haven't done cross stitch in years, and then only small kits. This is a pattern I made myself using a website that turns pictures into charts. It's going to be about 56*41cm (22*16 inches) on 25 count fabric which I've never used before, and will take 180,873 stitches. I was browsing r/CrossStitch today and saw someone post a piece she's just finished which is 18*18 inches on 25 count and it took her just over a year so I will probably be an old wizened husk by the time I get this done.

I'm doing a huge project now myself, it will probably take 2 years overall, maybe a little less if I can find extra time to devote to it. Just be super wary about converting a large image to a chart, especially if you haven't stitched in a while. A lot of conversion programs aren't super great and you might not realize how badly it's screwed up your image until you're months into it. I will say going high count on the fabric can make it easy to hide a lot of bullshit lol

What kind of problems do they have? This one looks okay based on the image it gave me after converting. I guess I'll find out for sure in a few months.

What kind of problems do they have? This one looks okay based on the image it gave me after converting. I guess I'll find out for sure in a few months.

It's a little hard for me to find the right words, it's more of a feel, but I'll try my best. Most I've tried introduce a gradient even when one isn't required, so it ends up looking almost blurry. The big project I'm on has some lettering and after stitching it out, it looks like crap so I'll have to redo the words 'manually'. Put it this way: using a converter is basically digitizing an already digital image, so you have some inherent resolution loss. Then applying that to a medium using fuzzy thread exacerbates the effect.

This is where your higher count fabric is going to help a lot; 25 count is rather small so it should sharpen things up pretty well. I'm doing a few side SAL projects on 28 count and they look really great.

Interesting, thanks. I guess we'll see how things look once I get going.

Care to share any pics of what you're working on?

The body was 3.5mm and the hems/cuffs were 3.25mm.

Nic, if they're 3 skeins of 100g/400m I promise you that you can get something for you out of it. Most of my summer tops have all been under 1200m and I am most definitely in need of more yarn than you would be.

nah, 150m. Less than 500m total, I think I picked them up on a super sale and it was an opportunistic 'you get what you get' situation, I figured I'd come up with something for them later.
    Would make a perfect shawl or a small infinity scarf or something, probably, I'm just not into knitting shawls and I have more than enough scarves.

Maybe a funky floopy hat? You can never have too many funky hats.

edited February 2021
    Interesting, thanks. I guess we'll see how things look once I get going.

Care to share any pics of what you're working on?

This is one of the SALs, each month they will release a new square. This is on 28ct so a good example of why it's forgiving to work on higher counts, there are a bunch of places where I fudged it (lettering, the airplane) but since it's so small it's easy to hide.

Ed: I guess it would help to include the actual picture lol

a04d495lbv3v.jpg

Chiselphane on
    I was browsing r/CrossStitch today and saw someone post a piece she's just finished which is 18*18 inches on 25 count and it took her just over a year

Turns out this was wrong. The image this person posted wasn't a completed piece, it was like 20% done. And it's taken them over a year. I am going to be working on this thing for the rest of my life.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Well now I want to try knitting myself a linen shirt.

Got to finish this jumper first though. Which I will probably accomplish right as it gets too warm to wear a thick woolly jumper. Meaning I will then probably finish the lightweight linen shirt just in time for next winter. I really should have been better organised about starting this hobby.

Every knitter I know does this :razz:

Yup.

Or usually works out that way because knitting a woolly jumper in the middle of summer is *fucking hot* and not in the sexy kind of way.

I'm currently trying to finish my second sock of my first ever pair that's actually going to fit me.

Just need to finish the gusset and then twenty or thirty more rows of pattern for the foot.

edited February 2021
    I haven't even started my cross stitch project, because I'm waiting for the fabric to arrive, but I'm already spending way too much time looking for other things to do. I started getting worried that this pattern I made will turn out to be shit so I bought a proper one, figuring I can alternate working on each of them and then at the end at least one should look ok. And now I've found a much smaller, simpler thing I like which I think I will do for my brother's birthday.

Spending so much money on thread. And most of it I will barely use any of a particular colour but I still have to buy a whole skein of it, so then I have to have more projects to use up the leftovers. Life was much easier and cheaper when I didn't have any hobbies.

Edit: Started my brother's thing
    5rocm6u9c7mq.jpg

It's quite fun, but threading a size 28 needle can suck all the dicks

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    Yes yeesssss

i think that was in response to some knitting talk, but it applies to anything in this thread, really

finally pulled the trigger on purchasing the pattern for https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/criswoodsewsenvelope/?hl=en

bonus, she's giving 15% off at the moment, so i went ahead and got the variations, as well

i bought the fabric months and months ago, so I'm gonna just jump into a garment, tomorrow probably! no guts, no glory.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ooh, can’t wait to see it!

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Progress!
    pya12jncamox.jpg

I finished the owl!

All my chaos guys for warhammer are assembled.

Now I have to find a few scrap models to practice the paint scheme on...

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've started 2 more guitars (bringing my total to 5). They will not be as involved and are mostly being built to be used as examples for a future large group project that I won't speak of so as not to jinx things.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I am going to hunt some estate sales for old speakers this weekend, but I'm thinking about buying marine ply and building my own...

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I am going to hunt some estate sales for old speakers this weekend, but I'm thinking about buying marine ply and building my own...

dooooo iittt

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

dooooo iittt

The main reason I haven't pulled the trigger because Marine ply is super expensive.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Heyyy textile people. Specfically knitters I guess. So for v-day the partner taught me how to knit which was neat! So for getting beginner patterns is ravelry still good? I know I've seen various drama about the knitting boards, and especially as I'm really just paying for collections of well known patterns, I can be a bit choosey and make sure I'm not funding Chuds. Also def taking reccs for collections of knitting patterns that are good for beginners/good bang for the buck. For now I'm really just focused on practicing and probably making some dish towels, so they don't have to at all be project focused. Unless its way easier than I expect to make little knit stuffed toys, in which case just fuck me up with that too. But I suspect it's cast on, knit, purl and slip for me for a while.

Ravelry will still likely be your best go to at the moment.
    Be cautious with the new layout/format as it has been causing issues with people with some visual troubles.

The advanced search function on Ravelry is honestly amazing. Some really good filters and ways to narrow down.

This is my all time fave dishcloth/washcloth pattern, it's super easy, all knit stitches with some yarn over increases and k2tog decreases.
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/grandmothers-favorite

Increases and decreases are good to practice.

Depending on what you are looking to start working on, there's a fabulous little shawlette that I love to make that is free and makes *amazing* gifts
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/close-to-you

I'm happy to chat almost anything textile related, so just hit up the thread or PM me or whatever if there's more that you're looking for.

edited February 2021
    I'm nearly done with my brother's birthday cross stitch thing, just got to finish putting his name on it. And then figure out how to frame it or something I guess. And I've started the big piece I wanted to do. Probably worked on it for 4 or 5 hours today and thanks to this pattern app I've got I know I've done 588 stitches. Which sounds ridiculous. I don't know how it takes so long!

I've apparently lost my mind a bit because I've bought even more patterns. Some old-timey-folksy samplers, and a thing I would like to do for my nephews for Christmas but I mean it will probably take me ten thousand years to complete.

Also realised I fucked up the sleeve of my jumper by putting too many increases in and now I have to unpick 21 rounds of cable knitting. Which I would be sad about but I'm just choosing to ignore it and focus on slowly going mental over cross stitch instead.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Ravelry will still likely be your best go to at the moment.
    Be cautious with the new layout/format as it has been causing issues with people with some visual troubles.

The advanced search function on Ravelry is honestly amazing. Some really good filters and ways to narrow down.

This is my all time fave dishcloth/washcloth pattern, it's super easy, all knit stitches with some yarn over increases and k2tog decreases.
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/grandmothers-favorite

Increases and decreases are good to practice.

Depending on what you are looking to start working on, there's a fabulous little shawlette that I love to make that is free and makes *amazing* gifts
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/close-to-you

I'm happy to chat almost anything textile related, so just hit up the thread or PM me or whatever if there's more that you're looking for.

This is excellent, thank you!

edited February 2021
    I did do some sewing in December, finally using some fabric Anya and I bought... 3 years ago?

I made Anya a circle skirt. It actually has 4 layers of tulle over a sparkly black cotton lycra skirt (which doesn’t really come through in photos, but does show through in person). She’s sensitive to textures so I serged the tulle layers together then hand-sewed them below the band, so none of the tulle touches her skin.

sewing01.jpeg

And I made the kids pants! Anya’s so narrow that I probably should have graded the top half down, but she likes them baggy. These use the Patterns4Pirates Baby Bear Joggers pattern.

sewing02.jpeg

Also: the pants were made from JoAnn’s doodles fabric, which has a ton of cool patterns, but the fabric itself shrinks like hell. I had been warned about this, so I bought an entire yard for Niko’s pants, and I only just had enough fabric after a pre-wash! For reference, I can ordinarily get an entire pair of plus-size leggings out of a yard of fabric.

Janson on
    Images don't seem to work for me. But it sounds cool!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Images don't seem to work for me. But it sounds cool!

Are you on mobile or desktop? I can see them just fine on mobile, but last time this happened I couldn’t see them on desktop.

Desktop but they dont seem to work on mobile for me either.

Oh dang! I’m not sure why that would be. Are they working for others?

i'm on desktop and can see them. but can't on mobile. desktop is firefox, desktop is chrome