As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hmm.

When I've made sauce in the past I have generally started with some caramelized onions, ad a few fine chopped and crushed cloves of garlic (or a little minced from a jar if I'm being lazy) all in a bit of olive oil, then add some crushed tomatoes and seasoning and let it reduce for a while then just crush it down more with a ladle or a masher thing. But I like a nice smooth sauce.

I also tend to add just a bit of sugar since I also like it a little on the sweet side.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My boss brought in a cookbook that her mother-in-law wrote so I've been looking through it

There's one recipe that's called "Mexican? Pizza?"

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Amazing?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That's incredible? You better make that?

For real though you should make that.

Guys I bought a mess of those little thai green eggplants and I need a recipe. Whatcha got for me?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am going to be copying lots of these recipes!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That's incredible? You better make that?

For real though you should make that.

Guys I bought a mess of those little thai green eggplants and I need a recipe. Whatcha got for me?

not sure if they're just little eggplants or not, but if they are, I like to take roasted red peppers and mash them together with some goat cheese and spread it on top. Bake until just barely crunchy and top with honey and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    They're these dudes!

dOQzxKe.jpg

Worst case I'll treat them like the thin purple and white ones.

Also, that eggplant dish sounds amazing. Yum.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    I generally use an uncooked sauce for pizza like Noisy, using lightly seasoned crushed or sauce tomatoes to enhance its brightness. Cooked sauces are for pasta or other entrees since it gets richer from the long simmer.

• Options
    I always like a nice rich and somewhat sweet sauce on my pizza, perhaps it's just because I am so used to pizza restaurants around here and they aren't usually done in that style.

• Options
    They're these dudes!

dOQzxKe.jpg

Worst case I'll treat them like the thin purple and white ones.

Also, that eggplant dish sounds amazing. Yum.

cool

the thin purple and white ones are the ones I was talking about =)

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    Yeah, I am sure our relative pasts factor heavily into our preferences. I have experimented with cooked sauces on my pizza, mostly because I had some left over from another dish, but have always strayed back towards the raw sauce.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    We made Alton Brown's Shepherds pie last night, with a bit of goofing with the seasonings.

Seriously the best comfort food ever.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    anyone got a good recipe for poached chicken?

Whole or piece?

piece would be great, thanks

• Options
    I am thinking of looking at small toaster ovens instead of a regular pop up toaster.

Anyone have any brand recommendations?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    anyone got a good recipe for poached chicken?

Whole or piece?

piece would be great, thanks

Usually when Viv and I poach chicken we just use a standard Chinese marinade in the water and poach it in that for like 8 minutes.

So it's usually 2 parts Dark soy, 1 part light soy, 2 parts fish sauce, 2 parts shoaxing and .5 of sugar. And that is thrown into the poaching water. (That makes up about 25%) of the liquid of so, it's not an exact recipe don't sweat it if it is less).

Then we let it cool, slice it up and stick it into a simple salad with noodles and a lime/soy/sesame oil/chili dressing.

If you ever want to do a whole chicken you gotten do haianese chicken rice though.

• Options
    UHHM

Okay so I'm trying that pizza dough recipe from earlier in the thread and I forgot to buy ziplock bags earlier.

I figured it should be fine if I let it all rise together in one big bowl.

But uh, I don't know if my bowl is big enough, it's only been a few hours and it's just starting to touch the plastic cling wrap I put on top. I hope it'll be okay!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    UHHM

Okay so I'm trying that pizza dough recipe from earlier in the thread and I forgot to buy ziplock bags earlier.

But uh, I don't know if my bowl is big enough, it's only been a few hours and it's just starting to touch the plastic cling wrap I put on top. I hope it'll be okay!

If you're letting it rise more than a few hours/overnight, it should be in the fridge. Slows the rise, room temperature will rise a ton.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    UHHM

If you're letting it rise more than a few hours/overnight, it should be in the fridge. Slows the rise, room temperature will rise a ton.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, it is in the fridge. for a couple days hopefully.

Hopefully it will slow down a lot more here soon.

I am mostly worried it will overflow the bowl at some point and poke out from under the cling wrap and dry out.

EDIT: As of this morning it is rising fine, kinda evened out toward the top of the bowl, going to give it at least a whole day, maybe bake it tomorrow afternoon.

Think I might spend some time today doing my tomato sauce but I might have to pick up some basil.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm also in the middle of making melon sorbet. We'll see how it turns out.

xj8r2466iybx.jpg

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

back to basics for me, i used to do this all backwards before, eggs and salt first, etc etc. Now i do it in this order and it does work better. Dont do crem fresh though i dont like that stuff.

I am OBSESSED with this recipe right now

like, 3 times in 2 days obsessed. I'm using sour cream instead of creme fraiche, because that's what I have on hand, and Chef Google tells me that they're a closeish substitution in this case

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made wings with sesame seed breading and a tangy orange dipping sauce

ZzKewlK.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• Options
    last night, we made a roast chicken on top of sweet potatoes, onion chunks, and carrots that were in a deep roasting pan with garlic, chicken broth, a drizzle of olive oil, and some white wine

hour and a half and the veggies and chicken were falling apart. So good.

tomorrow, I'm going to do something with purple new potatoes, maitake, and a pork tenderloin marinated in apple juice (and chunks), rosemary, and some mustard

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Sauceballs! Ballmeat!

Sauce and meatballs!

rffYdWc.jpg

Veal, spicy sausage and ground beef

• Options
    soooooo

need my mailing address?

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    That egg method is great, though he finishes cooking them too early for my tastes.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Guys I just

I just don't understand why the internet doesn't have a bunch of recipes for beehoon soto when it's all I want to eat

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    My boss brought in a cookbook that her mother-in-law wrote so I've been looking through it

There's one recipe that's called "Mexican? Pizza?"

When I went to Catholic school Mexican Pizza was second only to Cheeseburger day

I know now that it's basically ground beef tomatoes and some kind of cheese blend but back then it was sorcery

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Red miso salmon soup for dinner tonight.

o5lxr67qtz63.jpg

Added a little brown rice into it too.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    The better half and myself made a goat curry over the weekend. It was declious.

Only issue we had was not being prepared for all the bones in the goat. We thought we got rid of most of it but there was the odd small piece and some sinew left.

Pro tip, allow extra prep time to clean up your goat chunks.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I just ate a very large burger and chips. I really need to eat better. I want to buy a slow cooker, they seem like magic.

I wish I could find more solid slow cooker recipes. I have a so-so cookbook that came with mine that doesn't have real good/unique ones (there was three in there I cycled between but I'm sick of them now).

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    That egg method is great, though he finishes cooking them too early for my tastes.

yeah, I've been cooking mine a little longer as well

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    So
    That leftover Easter ham
    I forgot about it
    I didn't freeze it
    It's been in the fridge for eight days now
    Is it still OK?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Maybe. It's been refrigerated and ham is already cured, so. My family ate a bunch of our Easter ham in some home-made mac and cheese last night and none of us have had any issues, for whatever that's worth.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    So
    That leftover Easter ham
    I forgot about it
    I didn't freeze it
    It's been in the fridge for eight days now
    Is it still OK?

Depends. If it smells off or is slimy, it's probably best to not try it.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I'm inclined to give a lot of leeway to a cured and baked ham in a refrigerator but am leery of telling you to eat it because if it kills you that makes me an accomplice to murder and I don't need that I tell you what

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'd eat it. I might slice off the parts that were exposed to air for that long, but after that first 1/8th inch I'm game.

• Options
    I went ahead and cooked the rest of the pizza dough today since I had someone over to share it with.

She said it was really good!

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    The breakthrough on the sweet potato fries issue--baking them on a rack really improved their texture. It's still not crispy but it's definitely more evenly baked, which made them a lot tastier.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I have a pair of 12 hour shifts this week, no fridge or microwave, what can I create to last me the night?

This discussion has been closed.