Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Rocket is also known as arugula!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I think so

Then again I would not be surprised to discover capsicum are actually tangerines and the U.K. calls peppers Tabascoettes or something

I'm just joshing with you.

Joshes?

Does that mean, like

Carrots?

Or artichokes?

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Anyone got any good recipes for kangaroo steak? I bought a bunch today, and while I've got one which I've salted, peppered and I'm just going to grill, I was wondering what to do with the other ones.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Not a recipe per se, but my favourite way of eating roo is with a juniper and pepper rub with a blueberry sauce with a side of mash and asparagus.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Not a recipe per se, but my favourite way of eating roo is with a juniper and pepper rub with a blueberry sauce with a side of mash and asparagus.

yep I can see how that would be a favourite

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Veldrin do you have a recipe for that salmon soup?

@taya America's test kitchen DS game?

Made some autumn salmon the other night with roasted veggies.

broccoli, brussels sprouts, carrots and mushrooms all chopped up nice and chunky.
    Mixed up a marinade/sauce mix with:
    honey mustard
    greek yogurt
    malt vinegar
    salt
    pepper
    crushed garlic

spooned that over the oiled veggies and then tossed them together
    spooned the remaining marinade mix over the salmon filets

wrapped salmon in tin foil packet and veggies in a large baking tray

Oven baked at about 180*C/350*F for about 30ish minutes.

served with rice.

sooo good.

• Options
    Well, the kangaroo steak was one of the most tender pieces of meat I've ever eaten. The giant courgette was pretty good as well.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    @lonelyahava http://www.soshiok.com/recipe/salmon-belly-miso-soup this is the recipe we used as a template.

Nat made a few adjustments to suit our tastes, such as swapping out the salmon bones stock for chicken stock and removing the enoki mushrooms/adding snow peas.

She also used a mix of 1/3 white miso to 2/3 red miso.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    alright cooking thread

once everyone is out of the house (because i am having a terrible morning/everything forever and i'll be fucked sideways if i'm cooking breakfast for anyone but me today) i am going to make an omelette.

this omelette shall contain mushrooms and cheese at the very least. i intend to sautee the mushrooms, thinly sliced, in some bacon grease. NOW, the big question is this; do i add leftover kebab stuff to my omelette? we have chicken, and some bell peppers, and a little steak i think.

kebab omelette? yae or nae?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Could someone come here and cook me some grits? I would appreciate it very much!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    is that, like, a super polite southern way to ask for some early-morning bangin?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Well made grits > sex

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Well made grits > sex

false!

but really close

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    This also depends on the calibre of the sex.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Anyone got any good recipes for kangaroo steak? I bought a bunch today, and while I've got one which I've salted, peppered and I'm just going to grill, I was wondering what to do with the other ones.

I like to soak it for a bit in lime, black pepper and fresh chilli before searing/grilling on high-heat. The lime can help tenderize it if it's a tough cut. But Blake's flavour combo sounds good.

Also, a quince jelly-based marinade/rub/side-sauce/WHATEVER is always a winner.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    alright cooking thread

once everyone is out of the house (because i am having a terrible morning/everything forever and i'll be fucked sideways if i'm cooking breakfast for anyone but me today) i am going to make an omelette.

this omelette shall contain mushrooms and cheese at the very least. i intend to sautee the mushrooms, thinly sliced, in some bacon grease. NOW, the big question is this; do i add leftover kebab stuff to my omelette? we have chicken, and some bell peppers, and a little steak i think.

kebab omelette? yae or nae?

Just remember to cut your kebob bits extra small so you don't bite into cold meat inside your hot omelette.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    @lonelyahava

Heck yeah:

o8sSKru.jpg

I also own Personal Trainer: Cooking, which is the same thing except there are more foreign dishes.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    this recipe for caponata is teriffic

It's awesome over pasta, or just on bread.

I made this several times last year and it is indeed the light. BTW pine nuts are kind of expensive. I substituted in walnuts and tbh preferred them.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

is it actually a game? or just a resource thing? I thought it was always just a resource type thing, so I never got it.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    this recipe for caponata is teriffic

It's awesome over pasta, or just on bread.

I made this several times last year and it is indeed the light. BTW pine nuts are kind of expensive. I substituted in walnuts and tbh preferred them.

I used pistachios because the pine nuts cost about as much as all the other ingredients put together

• Options
    Cashews are also a good pine nut substitute in a lot of recipes

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular

is it actually a game? or just a resource thing? I thought it was always just a resource type thing, so I never got it.

It's not a game. I didn't know what other word to use. App? Program?

It's a cookbook where you can filter out ingredients, search for what you want, and cook the thing. It walks you through each step and lets you save notes on them. I know at least one of those games ("games") lets you change the number of servings and it recalculates the ingredients as necessary. It was neat because at that time cooking websites didn't do this. At least not to my knowledge. It's a little obsolete now.

Some good recipes on there though.

• Options
    that's still really neat!

I need to figure out dinners for this week.

I'm leaning towards a lasagne or baked penne for at least one of the nights.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    How good is pizza with all-purpose flour? I've been using higher-protein stuff, but I'm out and that's all I got left besides corn flour

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Not quite the same, but it can turn out fine in a pinch.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Tonight I plan to toss broccoli in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and garlic infused olive oil and sautee it for 10-15 minutes in my cast iron pan

I skipped lunch and I'm starving

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tonight I plan to toss broccoli in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and garlic infused olive oil and sautee it for 10-15 minutes in my cast iron pan

I've been roasting it a LOT for a quick side dish that we both really love. 400 degree oven, 15-20 minutes.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Noisymunk wrote: »

I've been roasting it a LOT for a quick side dish that we both really love. 400 degree oven, 15-20 minutes.

do you flip it halfway through?

that sounds a lot easier than minding a skillet

• Options

do you flip it halfway through?

that sounds a lot easier than minding a skillet

Nope I don't flip em, they get nice and browned where they touch the pan and the flower heads get just slightly charred. Bonus is I can add cauliflower, carrot sticks, chunks of radishes, cloves of garlic, sweet potatoes and so long as they're all about the same size they all cook within 20 minutes.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Cashews are also a good pine nut substitute in a lot of recipes

Walnuts are also pretty good for you, which AFAIK, cashews aren't really.

Anyway. Make caponata! And fresh bread! And then get some friends over and open some wine!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Roasted broccoli is my favourite vegetable.

@Noisymunk , do you use frozen or fresh broccoli?

• Options
    I'm not he, but I use fresh!

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Counterpoint - buy pine nuts online where they're like 15 bucks for 8oz and freeze them. Summer's coming. Peak basil pesto time.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I use frozen and have been trying to nail down timings.

All advice is appreciated

• Options
    Counterpoint - buy pine nuts online where they're like 15 bucks for 8oz and freeze them. Summer's coming. Peak basil pesto time.

Even at UK prices that's literally 500% more than walnuts cost.

Pine nuts are quite nice but they're not that nice.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    Roasted broccoli is my favourite vegetable.

@Noisymunk , do you use frozen or fresh broccoli?

I use fresh, I think frozen would be too soft to brown properly since the freezing process damages the cells.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Tonight is a "use up perishables in the fridge night"
    Which I think includes homemade Swedish meatballs, udon noodles and ... eggs.

...some kind of omelette??

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Put the meatballs on the noodles with a fried egg on top.

That sounds like the best drunk snack, actually.

I think I'm making omelettes myself, with some biscuits from the freezer.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    It's just me and the kids tonight. Im thinking English muffin pizzas.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.