Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Apparently the pizza at a coworker's going away party was so bad that we don't even want omelettes - scrambled eggs it is.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    tynic wrote: »
    Tonight is a "use up perishables in the fridge night"
    Which I think includes homemade Swedish meatballs, udon noodles and ... eggs.

...some kind of omelette??
    You could use the eggs to make a batter and have fried meatballs and noodles

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I have some semolina in the cupboard now.

How does one make their own noodles?

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    It's just me and the kids tonight. Im thinking English muffin pizzas.

It's just me and my cat tonight.

I'm thinking whiskey and two grilled cheese sandwiches on potato bread.

And more whiskey.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I made Shakshuka for the first time the other day. Goddamn that was delicious.
    cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014721-shakshuka-with-feta
    IMG_6129.jpg

Changed out the Feta for Goat Cheese though. And some fresh warm bread to sop it all up

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    That looks unbelievably delicious, holy butts

Edit: I'm seriously considering making that at some point in the near future. Knowing my family I'd likely have to do extra cheese on it. I wonder if maybe adding some sauteed onions or something would be good or if it's just adding stuff for the sake of adding stuff...

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Edit: I'm seriously considering making that at some point in the near future. Knowing my family I'd likely have to do extra cheese on it. I wonder if maybe adding some sauteed onions or something would be good or if it's just adding stuff for the sake of adding stuff...

The third step of the recipe is to sweat some onions and peppers, so sauteed onions are already in there. Put a little bowl of feta on the side for people spoon extra onto their portion if they want.

It always sounds like instant regret and heartburn to me. Tomatoes and bell peppers and I don't get along very well anymore.

Today's plan: Start with a big egg and canadian bacon sandwich on one of those sandwich size english muffins. Open the bottle of Stone Enjoy By 4/20 IPA and learn how to make Spanakopita.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-classic-spanakopita-230290
    I think I'm going to divide the recipe in half and put it in two 8" square cake pans and try freezing one of them to bake up later on in the week.
    And while I've got filo out I might as well make some quick curry vegetable pot pies and freeze them, too. I like using filo for the crust instead of puff pastry.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Snowbear wrote: »
    I made Shakshuka for the first time the other day. Goddamn that was delicious.
    cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014721-shakshuka-with-feta
    IMG_6129.jpg

Changed out the Feta for Goat Cheese though. And some fresh warm bread to sop it all up

Since discovering shakshuka a couple of years ago thats one of my goto easy meals. I like to add spinach to mine.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Yeah and if people just *have* to have meat in a meal I cut some sausage up and fry it up. Leave it on the side and people can spoon in as much as they want.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Noisymunk wrote: »

The third step of the recipe is to sweat some onions and peppers, so sauteed onions are already in there. Put a little bowl of feta on the side for people spoon extra onto their portion if they want.

It always sounds like instant regret and heartburn to me. Tomatoes and bell peppers and I don't get along very well anymore.

Today's plan: Start with a big egg and canadian bacon sandwich on one of those sandwich size english muffins. Open the bottle of Stone Enjoy By 4/20 IPA and learn how to make Spanakopita.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-classic-spanakopita-230290
    I think I'm going to divide the recipe in half and put it in two 8" square cake pans and try freezing one of them to bake up later on in the week.
    And while I've got filo out I might as well make some quick curry vegetable pot pies and freeze them, too. I like using filo for the crust instead of puff pastry.

Is it me or does this recipe not include a temperature for baking? I'm going with 350.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow is my girlfriend and I s three year anniversary, so I swung by the meat market today and bought $25 worth of filet mignon I'm using to make a for two beef Wellington

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    What greens, and much more importantly, what wine are you going with for that?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Sheep head mushrooms, thyme, garlic, and red wine. That part and the pastry turned out amazing. The beef...was far far too rare, so we had to....nuke the filet...Ugh. Worked out pretty good overall

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Tuesday I will be making eggs Benedict with asparagus

I can't wait

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2016
    I am attempting a meal I just kinda improvised as I was shopping and picking out dinner for tonight.

Gonna have grilled salmon with a mango/yellow bell pepper/shallot sauce and garlic/rosemary roasted red potatoes.

Here's hoping it turns out like it sounded in my brain.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    So, sausage meat goes really really well in omelettes. Just cut one open, and tear it into little pieces, and add it to some onions, garlic and chili, with a little thyme and fennel seeds.

One of the best omelettes I've ever made.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tuesday I will be making eggs Benedict with asparagus

I can't wait

13012616_10154077995958279_7473849480872115577_n.jpg?oh=717eb7fd4772a591146f9c343c0e8dcb&oe=57AA0E2D

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know of any 'Good Eats'-esque blogs/twitters/etc. I could follow?

I'm basically looking for science-ey food information and interesting tid-bits.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    My step dad made crock pot bone in ribs tonight. They were succulent and delicious.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any 'Good Eats'-esque blogs/twitters/etc. I could follow?

I'm basically looking for science-ey food information and interesting tid-bits.

Kenji Lopez-Alt (@TheFoodLab, also on Serious Eats) is teriffic for this sort of thing.

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    I've recently fallen in love with chicken salads. Right now my basic recipe is just: Chicken, Mayo, Mustard, Buffalo Sauce, assorted veggies from a frozen veggie bag.
    I'm making big bowls of it and portioning it out for work lunches. Anyone have some other twists on chicken salad I can use to keep it interesting for a longer time?

• Options
    I add cumin to mine and a bit of lime

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    curry powder, lime, golden raisins/grapes, cilantro was always a favorite.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I like tarragon in my chicken and tuna salads.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm trying to remember what was in an amazing chicken salad a friend made for me a few years back, but... Oh wait, that's right. Chicken-caesar-potato salad. Fucking extraordinary.

... and meanwhile, spicy mahi-mahi lemongrass salad

0crtazzpbfd4.jpg

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I am totally gonna try this.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I made this tonight.

It is pretty good!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    caramel banana bread, woof.

lunch: cacio e pepe (sorta) -- spaghetti with olive oil, pepper, basil, garlic powder, lemon juice, some parmesan and capers
    these days, i seem to like olive oil as a sauce more than your alfredos or marinaras
    a much lighter meal, plus tomatoes and/or onions seemed to trigger heartburn :(

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    This is probably the best place to ask: next week I start a job with a standard job schedule (8-5), so that means having breakfast and coffee before I head out each day.

I want that breakfast to be cereal: quick, easy, not too heavy.

Thing is, recent cereal consumption have resulted in some digestive problems lasting a good few hours afterward. I would prefer not having to be plagued by that while working, so I was wondering if I could get suggestions on the best kind of cereal to have to avoid that.

My previous cereal rotation included Golden Grahams, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Captain Crunch and Frosted Flakes. Obviously, the problem seems to be the sugar-heavy shit, as pointed out by my mom. She swears by Honey Nut Cheerios, but I don't think that's significantly better.

So yeah, just want some tried-and-true cereal recommendations. Preferably cereal with at least some flavor.

• Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    This is probably the best place to ask: next week I start a job with a standard job schedule (8-5), so that means having breakfast and coffee before I head out each day.

Thing is, recent cereal consumption have resulted in some digestive problems lasting a good few hours afterward. I would prefer not having to be plagued by that while working, so I was wondering if I could get suggestions on the best kind of cereal to have to avoid that.

My previous cereal rotation included Golden Grahams, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Captain Crunch and Frosted Flakes. Obviously, the problem seems to be the sugar-heavy shit, as pointed out by my mom. She swears by Honey Nut Cheerios, but I don't think that's significantly better.

So yeah, just want some tried-and-true cereal recommendations. Preferably cereal with at least some flavor.

Honey Bunches of Oats is a pretty decent mix of tasty and healthy for cereal. We get the big ol' bags of generic "Oat Blenders with Honey and Almond" and it's tasty enough that it's a pretty frequent snack for my fiance. I'm not a huge fan of cereal myself, I generally start my day with a banana or yogurt, but this stuff is really good whenever I do have it and it's not super sugartastic.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Honey Bunches of Oats was...okay. Not the biggest fan.

I was a much bigger fan of Honey Nut Clusters, but I don't know if they make that anymore. Haven't seen it in my grocery in forever.

Also like Honey Nut Chex, but that probably falls under the "bad cereal" category I'm trying to avoid.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Ohs (sp?) are pretty good

Cinnamon Life is pretty good too

• Options
    worksintheoryworksintheory Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Kashi

I like Go Lean because of the protein and my wife likes the stuff that is basically granola.

worksintheory on
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    it's a really relative thing, healthy vs unhealthy. most cereals have a ton of sugar to substitute for flavor, but even the 'healthy' ones are inherently carbs, ie, sugar, starch, fiber; bodies change, so you might have developed an intolerance for cereals in general. i only mention it because up until my late 20s, i could eat anything and be great, which is no longer the case. but it's worth seeing how your nutrition affects your well-being.

that said, for less sugar but not strictly healthy, i like Kix, Multigrain Cheerios, Cracklin Oat Bran, Special K, Multi-bran/Wheat/Rice Chex, Crispix, Cinnamon/ Life, Rice Crispies. if you need a transitory cereal if those aren't flavorful enough, try Oh!s (i consider this personally very sweet) or Honey Nut Cheerios as an occasional bowl. it can take time for a body and palate to adjust.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options

Every week I do up some steel cut oats, let it set up in the fridge overnight and then cut it into portions. Every morning I splash on some almond milk, break up a portion with a spoon, toss in some chopped dried fruit and microwave for a minute or so. Add a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon or whatever and away you go. Sticks with us for the whole morning, too. If you don't want a hot breakfast it's just fine cold.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I'm sure you've already maybe considered the possibility, but could the digestive issues maybe be an intolerance to lactose? It's something that that certainly develop as you age, it might not be specifically cereal related, other than just your own body telling you that you're sick of the same rotation of cereal, maybe.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I am making chili in my slow cooker.

Hope it turns out good.

oh shit I forgot to add more seasoning/spices besides just to the beef when I browned it.

I probably still can add some more, probably needs some red pepper flakes

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm sure you've already maybe considered the possibility, but could the digestive issues maybe be an intolerance to lactose? It's something that that certainly develop as you age, it might not be specifically cereal related, other than just your own body telling you that you're sick of the same rotation of cereal, maybe.

Yeah that's a very good point, maybe try cutting out the dairy for a bit and see how you feel.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is it possibly lactose intolerance causing you issues?
    I mean, sugary cereals can jack you up in some ways and the sugar crash is worse, but (in my experience at least) don't tend to leave digestive unpleasantness.
    Maybe try some toast or a bagel as a quick breakfast and see if that helps at all.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I am making chili in my slow cooker.

Hope it turns out good.

oh shit I forgot to add more seasoning/spices besides just to the beef when I browned it.

I probably still can add some more, probably needs some red pepper flakes

You don't need to season the beef when you brown it, just add it now.

brDe918.jpg
This discussion has been closed.