Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    re: lactose intolerance.
    a good point. about a year ago, the beau switched off of cereal to Greek yogurt & granola for that reason.

Uriel, i usually season at the beginning and end of cooking chili. if you season early, it gets to meld and develop flavors over that time, and just needs some touch-ups when you see how it shakes out. it's not gonna hurt anything if you season later.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Of course, if Professor's scarfing down pizzas and quesadillas and not experiencing any problems, then that gets ruled out.

There's also the possibility of developing celiacs, but the symptoms don't match up. Celiac symptoms are usually worse than simple indigestion. But it could be attributed to the cereal you're eating if they claim to be made with whole wheat/grain, due to the gluten.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    re: lactose intolerance.
    a good point. about a year ago, the beau switched off of cereal to Greek yogurt & granola for that reason.

Uriel, i usually season at the beginning and end of cooking chili. if you season early, it gets to meld and develop flavors over that time, and just needs some touch-ups when you see how it shakes out. it's not gonna hurt anything if you season later.

Cool I'll let it cook since it had some, even if it's only on the beef.

Then I'll touch it up after a few hours of cookin' since I can taste test it.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I tried skipping dairy for a couple of weeks to see if I might be lactose intolerance.

No changes occurred, so I ruled that out.

• Options
    Yay!

Lactose intolerance sucks.

I've never actually been diagnosed, though, I just KNOW.

Because whenever I drink milk or eat too much cheese, hoo boy.

• Options
    that's why i suggested intolerance rather than Celiac's. at the restaurant, i had a lot of customers looking for 'clean' food (on testing diets/fasts from the doc, a lot of times) who weren't allergic, but would get digestive issues if they ate non-GF. i also know a few people with IBS, so those dietary considerations usually pop to mind.

but lactose intolerance also irritates them bowels like whoa.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Hmm, yeah. Lactose intolerance would've been the easy culprit to finger in your case. Between that and the unlikely possibility of being celiac, I'm out of ideas.

When I wanted a quick breakfast, milk and cookies were my go-to, when I didn't want cereal. A blueberry/cinnamon raisin bagel is always a back-up option, with some peanut butter.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Noisymunk how do you prepare your steel cut oats?

i'm looking for easy-ish brekkies that i can do with one hand/baby around and something warm as well.

• Options
    I think it needs a better beef to bean ratio.

• Options
    Noisymunk how do you prepare your steel cut oats?

i'm looking for easy-ish brekkies that i can do with one hand/baby around and something warm as well.
    i know my sister and parents usually make it in a rice cooker, or a slow cooker overnight. you can even cook it the night before and leave it on the stove. just pan-fry with a bit of butter til it's toasty, then add water and bring to a boil. cut off the heat, cover it, and leave til morning. good for about a week if you make enough, as Noisymunk mentioned.

i tend to keep it simple with some butter, milk, sugar and cinnamon, but dried cranberries or fresh blueberries/strawberries are delightful.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    @Noisymunk how do you prepare your steel cut oats?

I've been simmering a cup of oats in 3 cups of low fat soy milk or water for 20 minutes. I let it cool a bit and then put it in a plastic container in the fridge and it sets up solid. Once it's solid I cut it into portions, for us it's 8 portions. I like to add some chopped dried apricots to it, or dried apples, cinnamon and brown sugar.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Gonna do some shopping for a big wooden board and then take a stab at some bread making this weekend. FoodWishes ability to show me what the dough should look like has taken a bit of the fear out of the process.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The best way to learn to make bread is to Make lots of Bread.

You get a feel for the dough more than you get a sense of the look of it most of the time.

The most important bit it to not be afraid if it's sticky and add too much extra flour, it'll unstick as you go almost always.

Helps to have a bench scraper handy or failing that just a really stiff spatula.

Uriel on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Cannot agree with this too much. The first few attempts will fail in one way or another, after that you'll bake bread like it aint no thing.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    hey guys

do any of you live in a capitalist utopia where I can make a living selling these totally awesome pancakes I made

they have a special secret recipe

• Options

You get a feel for the dough more than you get a sense of the look of it most of the time.

The most important bit it to not be afraid if it's sticky and add too much extra flour, it'll unstick as you go almost always.

Helps to have a bench scraper handy or failing that just a really stiff spatula.

Thank for the tips, have to grab one of those too.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »

Cannot agree with this too much. The first few attempts will fail in one way or another, after that you'll bake bread like it aint no thing.

I mean for me, fucking up my first few (...dozen) doughs was part of the learning process.

Just buy cheap all purpose flour until you get the hang of it.

• Options
    What kind of bread are you looking to make? Honestly, start simple. Pizza dough is so easy and basic.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I made burnt butter Nutella and choc chip cookies for going away present from prac.

They went down a treat.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Today I found out that a simple salad of cucumber, white onion, tomato, and cilantro mixed with sambal oelek, lime juice, salt, and black pepper is one of my favorite foods.

• Options
    What kind of bread are you looking to make? Honestly, start simple. Pizza dough is so easy and basic.

I took a stab at a no knead to start, but pizza dough will probably be next.

Making this guy here:
    http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/12/no-knead-beer-bread-my-second-favorite.html

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    good food thread I want to make chicken carbonara on thursday

anybody have any solid recipes they like or helpful tips that would be good to know going in

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2016
    This one is completely authentic, but I'm not sure how user-friendly it is: http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/todays-recipe-bucatini-alla-carbonara/

the main thing is to keep the eggs from scrambling. Or you can cheat and use a little cream.

edit: forgot why I came in! I'm gonna try to make bush pizza some time this week.

tynic on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I LOVE home made pizza dough.

Take a regular flishmans (sp?) recipe and add a ton of fresh herbs, garlic, and some spices and you're set

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    well i mean
    I make pizza at home all the time, so I'll probably just go with my usual recipe.

the difference now is we will be cooking it over an open flame on a grill. So timing is going to be fun I expect

let's find out!

• Options
    It's cheating since there's no yeast, but I made this "bread" a while back, and other than a bit of an eggy taste, it's actually really good, and incredibly simple and not at all time-consuming to make. The loaf ends up being a bit on the small (height) side, but I find it's perfect for a few slices of garlic toast once in a while, or to cut it into quarters (one lengthwise, one down the middle) and make some pretty good french toast with it.

Keto bread recipe

Keep in mind that the recipe uses weight for scaling, apart from teaspoon measurements, and the oven temp is in Celsius. I made this mistake and tried to bake at 200F for 20 minutes and wondered why it was still gooey and not at all working. 200 Celsius is about 400 Fahrenheit. It comes out perfectly.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    https://www.kcet.org/food/weekend-recipe-spaghetti-carbonara

America's Test Kitchen's recipe - this repost doesn't emphasize why it works - basically you boil the pasta in as little water as possible (2 quarts is intentional here) so you get a supercharged extremely starchy water to add to the raw eggs which helps prevent scrambling and coagulation/clumpiness

I'm linking to a third party site since they charge to be a member

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Are there any propane grilling experts in here?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

step one: get some charcoal

but seriously

I just heard of a thing called Biryani!

So I'm going to try making it

First, the garam masala

2 rosebuds
    10 green cardamom pods
    1 tbsp cumin seeds
    2" cinnamon stick
    1 tsp cloves
    1/2 tsp black pepper corns
    sliver of nutmeg

Dry roast for 5 minutes and grind!

4c8tlq1r7a74.jpg

raknzl6watei.jpg

tbjhngtxs7w5.jpg

Friday night, I'm marinading the chicken and saturday after a concert, I'll cook it up!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    zomg biryani.

I may have just started drooling.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This is the good food thread?.. So this is where I post this, right?

20160625_135520_zpsr2gqbumh.jpg

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    we need some hotdish topped with mac'n'cheetos up in here

brDe918.jpg
  • Options

Sooooooo

What is it?

Cheeto flavored Mac and cheese?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Sooooooo

What is it?

Cheeto flavored Mac and cheese?

mozzarella sticks but instead of mozzarella it has mac n cheese inside and the breading is cheeto flavored

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    BotG9jv.jpg?1

I'm going to be eating eggs for the next three days because I am an idiot at portions, but I don't know if I care cause this shit is delicious.

Diced up a tomato + white onion + a couple of Serrano peppers, browned it with a quarter stick of butter then scrambled in a few too many eggs. Slap it on a tortilla with some of this awesome salsa that I bought from a man in a parking lot and wow this tastes way too good for how little effort it took.

Edit: God damn I should really clean my stove top. Eh, I'll get to that later tonight.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I use a propane grill. It's nice. We've all seen Hank Hill endorse propane grilling.

What questions do you have?

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Souse Vide pork loin finished on the grill with grilled peaches and BBQ sauce. This ended up pretty tasty.

KIMG0025.jpg

Cabezone on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That looks amazing!

Does anyone have a good, unique chicken salad recipe?

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I dunno about unique but I like mine with some dark roasted almonds and dried cranberries.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I want some soft shell crab.

I miss living by the water ;-;

This discussion has been closed.