As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    most of america is just way behind the brunch curve

avocado toast has been a thing for me for decades so vOv

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    You guys. What is a good breakfast protein I can have regularly (so not bacon) if I hate eggs?

no law says you have to limit yourself to 'breakfast' food either, feel free to eat cheese and fruit or what have you

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I got two avocado toast problems

1. How is this a novelty people have been putting avocado on toast for years and years
    2. Why did it become a Thing, I don't understand how restaurants can charge a human ten dollars for avocado on fucking toast*

*unless you're in Singapore, where avocados do occasionally cost like four dollars per.

Hipsters

I dunno if it's hipsters. Or if it hipsters, we're all hipsters. There's been a surge of restaurants "classing up" classic American foods for years now. Burgers. Mac and cheese. Pizza. Poutine (in Canada). It's not hipsters ordering those crazy gold flake, black truffle, wagyu burgers.

The difference is that avocado toast is more regional, so it could be used as a proxy to air out class culture grievances in a way fancy expensive burgers or pizza cannot.

I'd say that hipsters answer both questions up there. the Instagram hipster food culture movement is was made it a novelty, and that novelty is what drove the price sky high.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    You guys. What is a good breakfast protein I can have regularly (so not bacon) if I hate eggs?

no law says you have to limit yourself to 'breakfast' food either, feel free to eat cheese and fruit or what have you

This was revelatory for my mom - she hates most 'healthy' breakfast food but wanted to eat better. Finally it was like, "Wait, I'm making breakfast for myself, why do I have to eat 'breakfast' dishes just because it's morning?"

She does a lot of chicken wraps or salad or veggie stir-fries now.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    my breakfast today was bittersweet chocolate chip cookies so not exactly health food but yeah, I tend more towards leftovers for breakfast a lot of the time

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It took me way too long to realize bottomless champagne brunch refers to unlimited drinks

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    It's actually an artesian spring tapped from the legendary Billecart-Salmon aquifer.

E: just shove your face under and guzzle
    don't do that with champagne,
    what's wrong with you

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I feel like if you did that it would go from champagne to real pain

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That may be true. Bottomless champagne brunch has ruined me for all others.

In its defense, brunch in the U.S. doesn't always cost twenty dollars a plate looking at you Sydney

It is not just Sydney.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My coworker at work who's like 27 or something but technically my superior since he's been made 2IC has been eating avocado toast the last two days for breakfast.

It's hard to not giggle at him.

Protein for breakfast that's not bacon! I mean, you can do pretty much anything you like, nobody says breakfast has to be just breakfast food. If you want fried chicken or chunks of steak, then you can do that. But if you want actual breakfast food, I'd say the greek yogurt is a good way to go. Hell, I'd even say see if you can find some of that Carnation instant breakfast stuff. Although aren't you slightly lactose intolerant as well? or is that bowen I'm thinking of?

Beans! Bakes beans are a part of a traditional english breakfast and are a common staple breakfast down under as well. Heck, make yourself a big batch of rice n beans and make some breakfast wraps or something. Ham can replace bacon, if you are missing the salt hit.

Johnny Cash warned America off beans for breakfast in no uncertain terms. Because if there's one thing we trust, it's Johnny Cash's expertise on signs of depression, corvid-based paranoia, and pill-fueled arson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5utW2K0RFE

I think the last couple of generations have decided it's best not to risk it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular

avocado toast has been a thing for me for decades so vOv

So, you liked The Avocadoes before they were cool?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

whoa whoa whoa

let's not say things that are wrong

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm ... Not? I mean I didn't say all.

Some places here only do brunch on weekends, for example.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Lunner is for cool kids, brunch is for squares.

No but for real if it weren't for brunch buffets, I never would have discovered the belgian waffle ham sandwich that I used to make when I was a kid at the Benjamin's in Seattle when my mom would drag me to brunch. Everyone thought I was a disgusting little goblin, but I showed them!

For I have evolved into a disgusting ogre.

• Options

I know, just joshing.

Restaurant wise I've always been disappointed with brunch stuff.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    That may be true. Bottomless champagne brunch has ruined me for all others.

In its defense, brunch in the U.S. doesn't always cost twenty dollars a plate looking at you Sydney

It is not just Sydney.

Yeah these overpriced places are fucking everywhere now.

It's annoying when friends want to meet up somewhere to eat and they pick a place that's $$$$ when I have a $$ budget. Especially so when the $$$$ place is serving basically the exact same food as the $$ place, but they have upcycled vintage light fittings and tables with a distressed finish so they double their prices.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

I know, just joshing.

I would be too, if I lived in America.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

I know, just joshing.

america is at the forefront of incredible cuisine. I submit that here in america (the land of the free), you can get your hashbrowns both smothered AND covered if you wish. The choice is yours

6ylqse6x9d2e.png

• Options

I know, just joshing.

how could you do this to me tynic

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I can walk to a place with bottomless champagne and/or blood mary brunch, and the food is decent. Land of the Free home of the sloshed.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I got two avocado toast problems

1. How is this a novelty people have been putting avocado on toast for years and years
    2. Why did it become a Thing, I don't understand how restaurants can charge a human ten dollars for avocado on fucking toast*

*unless you're in Singapore, where avocados do occasionally cost like four dollars per.

Same way that cupcakes became A THING for awhile. Food tends to trend up and down. This too shall pass.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I made such a good chicken tonight.

Cut up three carrots, three ribs of celery, one onion and pace them in bottom of roasting dish. Mix with oil and top with salt, pepper and herbs. Tonight we had fresh thyme, rosemary, and sage.

Take chicken and dry the skin of juices. Into chicken cavity, place 1 lemon, cut into wedges, 2 cloves of garlic, and more fresh herbs, same as before but also including mint!

Rub chicken with light oil, season with salt, pepper, and chicken seasoning blend.

Place chicken on aromatic veggies.

Chop up some floury potatoes like Russets or Agria. Chop up some mushrooms. Coat lightly in oil and some roast veggie seasoning. Surround chicken with potatoes and mushrooms.

Roast at 350/180 for 30 minutes/500g.

Remove chicken from oven and set aside to rest. Put veggies back in while Chicken is resting to get a bit more crispy on potatoes.

Feast!

• Options
    My wife is making up stuffed Zucchini boats tonight with Zucchini that is from our garden that I'm going to throw on the smoker. I'm really excited.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Made chicken broth today.

Now I've got that and the leftover chicken simmering on the stove, ready for me to Bill up some udon.

We've got severe thunderstorms coming through, so this is gonna be good.

Also made some baked oatmeal this arvo, in hopes of making breakfast a little faster for us all.

It tastes pretty good, with just the cinnamon, but I can't wait to try and play with the flavour combinations as we go.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I know, just joshing.

america is at the forefront of incredible cuisine. I submit that here in america (the land of the free), you can get your hashbrowns both smothered AND covered if you wish. The choice is yours

there's a place in my town where you can get your hashbrowns stuffed with sour cream and cheddar and smothered in gravy

• Options
    Amish Baked Oatmeal

2 eggs
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1.5 TSP baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1.5 TSP vanilla
    1/4 TSP salt
    1.25 cups milk
    1/4 cup melted butter
    3 cup oats

Oven 350
    8*8 pan, buttered
    Whisk eggs, add sugar, BP, cinnamon, vanilla, salt. No lumps
    Stir in milk and butter, mix in oats.
    Pour into tray, bake 30-40 minutes

I added in diced prunes, apricot, and cranberries.

Need some flavour tinkering, but I can see this being a good breakfast.

Now to just get the rest of the family eating it.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    this just went into my oven, minus the banana leaves of course because where the heck am I going to get those in Atlantic Canada

https://youtu.be/5_sdhAFGmbw

Will report back in four hours

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    It doesn't look like much, but this turned out to be a killer leftovers salad

fn1xm0eas6tg.jpg

• Options
    Oh my gerd. Just finished up smoking up a couple racks of baby back ribs, roasted some multicolored baby carrots along with some baked beans and biscuits. I hurt, and am currently sipping on a glass of milk.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I just had a Dreamworks breakfast.

oXIfX48.jpg?2

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Verdict on the pork: marinade/sauce was very tasty, meat is a little dry. That's probably on me though, the grocery store didn't have pork butt, but it had loin roasts on sale so I went with that.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Verdict on the pork: marinade/sauce was very tasty, meat is a little dry. That's probably on me though, the grocery store didn't have pork butt, but it had loin roasts on sale so I went with that.

Glad it was good! But yeah, loin is very lean compared to shoulder/Boston butt. I've never understood why more people don't cook shoulder, you can season it with nearly anything, wack it in a Dutch oven with some kinda liquid and braise for 3-6hrs and it's always good. BBQ rubs work, roasting veg and tomatoes/wine/stock work, Asian braises work, a curry would feel wrong but would probably work.

Other pro tip is to let it rest in whatever you cooked it in. The meat is a little dead and dry when it comes out, it needs to relax and sponge up some sauce.

I'm from NC, we have feelings about pork shoulder.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Tonight I made socca, sweet chili salmon, spicy cauliflower rice, and (a packet of) red miso soup.

Pretty happy with the results!
    dY7fsiml.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Red miso, best miso.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    If you're into microhistories, I can highly recommend Paper: Paging Through History by Mark Kurlansky. It turns out paper is one of those materials whose manufacture and use generates some really interesting stories over the last seventeen hundred years or so. You get ancient China, Japanese houses, the printing revolution, early breech-loading firearms, Renaissance Italy shenanigans, industrial espionage, and the death of newsprint. Get the hardback version if you can, because it is appropriately printed on some of the highest-quality archival paper I've seen in a mass-market publication, and it's a pleasure to leaf through.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I made coq au vin for dinner! Pretty good. The leftover juice broth stuff will make a rad base for a French onion soup I think.

HRmA42wl.jpg
    gHPjeNJl.jpg

• Options
    I found mushrooms!

Got about a pound of chicken of the woods

3nazgv5flbqg.jpg

about a half ounce of black trumpets

3w6hfe617rzh.jpg

the chickens I chopped into thin strips and sauteed in salted butter, garlic, and black pepper and I'll put them in soup, omelettes, or just grab a few like chips

tojgbnueskkw.jpg

the black trumpets I'll be adding into a simple cream sauce tonight to toss with fettuccine

I love finding wild mushrooms

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Whoops, meant for the bad food thread.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Found a bunch more trumpets =)

w1g3eg68hdz3.jpg

1.2oz I left about 3oz in the woods so I can come back later in the year or next year.

srd6aw3mstrh.jpg

cream, milk, butter, a shallot, a glug of white wine, and the mushrooms. the sauce was too heavy, but I thinned it out after I took this picture.

fxzrkjzdteg0.jpg

I am fat and happy

• Options
    Man I wish I could find floor food

This discussion has been closed.