As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    don't store water in plastic in your car. heat will leach plastic particles right into whatever you're drinking

Aren't all the bottles transferred to store in hot trucks anyways?

yeeeeep

• Options
    I'm gonna be making baked oatmeal and baked Camembert for dinner tonight. I was thinking a light sprinkle of oil and maybe some chili powder on the cheese, with some toasty bread to put it on and dried cranberries and nuts to sprinkle on top. Yay/nay? Don't wanna fuck up my fancy cheese

yes
    Atheraal wrote: »
    I'd recommend simmering your dried cranberries in some wine and/or lemon juice

and yes

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm trying to stock my car with emergency food should I get stuck in a blizzard or something akin to that.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Surprised nobody has mentioned jerky yet! I would definitely throw some jerky in there. I'd want high protein and high calorie snacks, along with water obviously. Not sure how shelf-safe these are in hot cars, but protein & fiber bars might be good too, to help you feel full. Nuts as well.

Not food related, but some HotHands or similar would be really really good to have in an emergency winter situation.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    so I'm not supposed to eat hothands then

well shit

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    You can't warm up your hands if the warmth is inside!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    and 4 quarts of mushroom broth that I don't know what to do with

(1) Reduce that way down to like 0.4 quarts
    (2) Add a good sprinkle of gelatine
    (3) Carefully pour into icecube trays and freeze
    (4) Add your icy-cold FlavaKubes™ to all the things when cooking them in a non-dairy sauce

Edit I would probably sling a bit of white wine or better yet, Madeira to that broth if you haven't already.

V1m on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Mushrooms are so good

• Options

You aren't the boss of me!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

You aren't the boss of me!

Not yet! But you just wait until that promotion goes through!

Just. You. Wait.

• Options
    Camembert is tasty!
    Y5qrgOvl.jpg

• Options
    Aaand the baked oatmeal. I am stuffed. bXfL2Bwl.jpg

• Options
    Shark skewers marinated in orange juice, garlic, paprika, lemon juice, and soy sauce with spiced rice (day old rice sauteed in butter, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, black pepper corns, and cloves)

lmfnhicekvou.jpg

Not too bad

Shark has an odd texture but it tastes pretty good

Next time, I'd brush it while it's grilling with lemon juice and evoo I think

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My phone sometimes doesn't store the photos it takes, which is a pity because I had a good one of the halved garlic heads under this pork loin roast.

0jacys3l0nek.jpg

v9vh4cwqbmb8.jpg

• Options
    Mushroom Jerky is SO GOOD.

It's like beef jerky only it doesn't get stuck in your teeth!

no0lyyr6ng7j.jpg

ct8ug28zjsw0.jpg

• Options
    Color me very interested

• Options
    I recommend it

I marinated maitake fronds for 24 hours in

Soy sauce
    Worcestershire sauce
    Brown sugar
    Hot sauce
    Onion powder
    Garlic powder
    Liquid smoke

Dehydrate at 115 for 6 hours

Next time I'm adding honey and cutting back on the liquid smoke

• Options
    Interesting.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to make that with something other than mushrooms though? I'm interested in the concept of jerky, but what else would work besides mushrooms?

And meat, obviously.

• Options
    fruit and meat are the common ones

that's how you get banana chips

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Dehydrated watermelon is supposed to be like eating candy. I've never personally tried it though.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    what would even be left after you dehydrate a watermelon

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    just melon

• Options
    I often used to just dry mushrooms, which is the same procedure as jerky without the marinade

if you put them in something tight they keep almost forever. Then you can rehydrate them for stocks or sauces or pasta or stirfries or whatever, or just use them as-is in salads

i should start doing that again. I should do a lot of stuff...

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Hey guys.

Imma toss together some pizza dough for when the sun goes down (it is too hot today to bake while the sun is still up)

I've never really gotten good at using my pizza stone/peel.

Can I just heat the pizza stone up in the oven then take it out to build the pizza on top of it on the counter and put it back in?

Wait! Parchment paper?!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm trying to stock my car with emergency food should I get stuck in a blizzard or something akin to that.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Cmon people, you're being rookie.

@zonugal get some MREs. You dont have to worry too much about rotating them out like other snacky bagged food and it provides real nutrition. Also, the chemical heater just requires water and bam, hot food, which is a very real pick me up in a bad situation.

You dont have to get military MREs, though honestly, they are pretty good when not every fucking meal of every fucking day. You can get civvie style ones at outdoor/sports stores too, though expect a price hike.

As far as water... plastic is fine. Just cycle it out every spring and fall. The choice is really no water and dead in 3 to 6 days, or water with something that wont kill you unless you drink gallons of it for years and years.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Imma toss together some pizza dough for when the sun goes down (it is too hot today to bake while the sun is still up)

Can I just heat the pizza stone up in the oven then take it out to build the pizza on top of it on the counter and put it back in?

Wait! Parchment paper?!

It's probably a better move to figure out some way of transferring your pizza to the stone/oven, just to keep the stone as hot as possible, but give it a try, and see how it works for you - and adapt from there. It won't result in a bad/inedible pizza, so it's worth a shot.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Grislo wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Wait! Parchment paper?!

It's probably a better move to figure out some way of transferring your pizza to the stone/oven, just to keep the stone as hot as possible, but give it a try, and see how it works for you - and adapt from there. It won't result in a bad/inedible pizza, so it's worth a shot.

my problem is always getting it from the peel to the stone,

Would parchment paper hold up on the stone? That way I can just do the pizza on parchment paper, move it to the peel and then the stone.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    the parchment will probably burn, it's only rated to like 450°. are you using cornmeal to help the pizzas slide off your peel?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    cabsy wrote: »
    the parchment will probably burn, it's only rated to like 450°. are you using cornmeal to help the pizzas slide off your peel?

No I don't have cornmeal. I do have semolina will that work? part of the problem is it is a cheap wood peel so it has too many nooks and crannies for the dough to stick.

I usually only bake it at about 450 preheating the stone for about 20-30 minutes? Should I take it higher?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    semolina will work.

• Options
    How much should a spread on there, a hand full? And I imagine I should give the round longer to sit before transferring it to the peel and saucing it up. I think I usually speed that process up too much. I have a new cat that likes to climb things now too so that might be a bit of a trick tonight.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »

No I don't have cornmeal. I do have semolina will that work? part of the problem is it is a cheap wood peel so it has too many nooks and crannies for the dough to stick.

I usually only bake it at about 450 preheating the stone for about 20-30 minutes? Should I take it higher?

apparently yes, you want to use plenty of flour on your peel to make sure it slides off easily

if you're using homemade dough, like a whole pizza from scratch, you can usually bake pizza in a really hot oven, like 500 with a long preheat, but I'm not good at yeast dough so I don't have a ton of hands on experience there

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I've done 500 before, with shorter preheat but yeah it cooks through really fast though so I usually do 450 for a bit more margin for error in bake time.

I'm probably going to get like 3 rounds out of this dough this time. I used like 24oz of flour so... Actually hopefully the bowl in the fridge is big enough!

I'd like to get better at getting my rounds thinner too, I like a thinner crust myself but I'm really bad at that part still.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I've done 500 before, with shorter preheat but yeah it cooks through really fast though so I usually do 450 for a bit more margin for error in bake time.

I'm probably going to get like 3 rounds out of this dough this time. I used like 24oz of flour so... Actually hopefully the bowl in the fridge is big enough!

I'd like to get better at getting my rounds thinner too, I like a thinner crust myself but I'm really bad at that part still.

I'll probably get some hate for this but... I too like a thin pizza, so I just roll the bread dough out with a rolling pin as if it were pastry. Works a treat.

Also if you have a peel, you should definitely use it. Lightly dust with a very little flour, then sprinkle with semolina, then put your base onto the peel, quickly construct your pizza, open oven, shoof the pizza onto the stone, close oven and wait 7 minutes for the happy happytimes.

• Options
    The hotter the better, makes it easier to get the crust off the pan in general.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Pizza tips:
    Like bowen mentioned, the hotter the better. My oven goes up to 550F so I usually preheat at that temp and drop it to 500 once the pizza goes in the oven (throwing it in usually drops the temperature a bit anyway. Hot and fast (5-10 minute bake) is the way to go with a traditional pizza, you get that great balance of crispy outside and soft chewy inside.

I try to think ahead and make my dough the day before and give most of a day to rise in the fridge. This helps with flavor and gluten formation and allows you to make a slightly more slack dough at the start which means your final dough is a bit more pliable. There are several no-knead recipes out there that work fairly well but I've since moved away from them because I like kneading dough by hand.

I've used parchment paper before and generally have not had any issues. The edges may brown and crinkle but the pizza dough is cool enough to keep the parchment under it from scorching.

My peel is made of aluminum and it actually has more sticking issues than a wooden peel. I use plenty of cornmeal or flour (maybe up to 1/4 cup? enough to spread out an even, thin layer) when dressing my pizza and I give the peel a shake or two between each step (sauce, cheese, each topping) to keep it from sticking. Sometimes it still sticks anyway and a sharp jerk is needed to free it from the peel and onto the stone. This can take a bit of practice but don't worry, malformed pizza tastes just as good :biggrin:

Also if you don't want to deal with a baking stone or just want a change of pace, there is always pan pizza that you can make in a cast iron skillet!

Ed.: spelling

m!ttens on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I look forward to the day I can build a wood fired pizza oven in a backyard and make pizzas in 3 minutes.

bowen on
  • Options
    Ok.

I rolled out the first two rounds the turned out ok but I should have waited longer so I didn't have to rush the preheat since it was so hot. I can probably get two more of the same size for tomorrow and they should taste better just being in the fridge 24 hours.

But my rolling pin broke? The handles came off.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Good news! You've got a brand new giant dowel.

If you need a new one, more good news. Handles are apparently less good than tapered pins?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    If I had a lathe I'd turn this one into a tapered one, haha.

This thing is probably as old as I am. It was my mom's.

This discussion has been closed.