As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooking: Welcome Back to the Good Food Thread.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Roast your bones in the oven before adding them to the stock for a little more potent of a flavour. Continue simmering the strained stock for a few hours for even more. (But less stock)

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Stock pot makes stock.

Onion
    Onion skins
    Carrot
    Celery
    Garlic
    Chicken carcass
    Salt
    Peppercorns
    Water
    Bay leaf
    Rosemary

Give the veg a rough chop, put in pot.
    Smash cloves of garlic, however many you want
    Put in chicken carcass. Pre-owned or raw is fine. I've even used the food store rotisserie ones before.
    Add in the aromatics
    Cover everything with water
    Bring to a boil
    Turn temp down and simmer until it tastes like you want to it to. For me this is usually about 3-4 hours. Stirring occasionally, whenever you go near the kitchen, basically.
    Strain liquid into another pot and let cool. This helps skim the fat off.
    Cool the chicken and veg. You can choose to pick the carcass of any remaining meat if you wish.

If you're using the stock right away, then have fun. If not, cool completely before storing in fridge, or or into ice cube trays to freeze for magic chicken stock cubes for future cooking.

*Chicken flavours can of course be replaced by other protein, or even just veggies as you wish. Adjust your seasoning accordingly

** Onion skin is an old Jewish trick on how to get the more yellow colour to your stock that a lot of people equate with chicken soup

I always thought you were creative, but that's a pretty stock stock pot answer.
    :heartbeat:

Look.

Somebody had to give the obvious answer!

Might as well be me.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Where... Where do I get a chicken carcass?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Uriel wrote: »
    Where... Where do I get a chicken carcass?

Your food store might have them in the butcher section, you might need to ask.

Or, you make a roast chicken for dinner and save the bones.

Or, you buy one of those hot chicken from the food store, pick the chicken off, and use that.

You can also just use a whole chicken instead of the carcass, but that will generate a lot more fat on top, and make picking the chicken off the carcass more important. Plus you lose the flavour of already roasted bones

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Buy a chicken
    Eat the meat
    Bam, carcass

• Options
    Chickens can be purchased whole?!

• Options
    What's your closest food store, @Uriel

• Options
    ... yes?
    Pretty much everywhere?

• Options
    Haha. Kroger is my usual shopping place.

I know I can probably get a while chicken there I just somehow wasn't putting it together that you could even use the left over bits.

• Options
    Well now I'm going to have to try roasting a chicken huh.

• Options
    Roast chicken is so good. Food for days!

I like to put a lemon in the cavity, and then lots of butter under the skin over the breasts.

There are heaps of videos on roasting chicken online. Can't go wrong with Chef John.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    lots of places also sell them pre-roasted. Nice for a quick tasty dinner.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Tonight I am making brisket in the pressure cooker, plus mashed potatoes and ranch style beans. I don't know if that brand of canned beans exists outside of Texas, but I will not have my barbeque with any other sort of bean.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you can get a whole chicken in a can, that's a thing you can do

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    you can get a whole chicken in a can, that's a thing you can do

Do not listen to this person.

They are sending you down a path of horror.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    lots of places also sell them pre-roasted. Nice for a quick tasty dinner.

Yeah both our major supermarket chains sell whole roasted chickens in a bag for not much money (somewhere around $8 I think). If you show up just before closing they're marked down to half price, so it can be a super cheap way to get a couple of meals.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I still have a term I call people shopping the cheap meat
    Vultures
    As they linger and pick at it until they are uninterested

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That, uh

that seems unnecessarily hostile.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I had a big-ass eye of round roast to work with, and I've never had one in my whole life that was anything less than tough and dry (damn you total lack of intramuscular fat!) so I decided to have a go at using our sous vide cooker to do the whole thing.

Salted it, peppered it, then ended up going 135F for 48 hours. The results were.... interesting, but not quite where I wanted them. It lost more moisture than I was anticipating, so even though it wasn't dry it didn't feel juicy to me. More, the texture of the meat was very soft, bordering on spongey, without much of that teeth-feel that characterizes beef for me. It's very edible, and my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are actually very impressed with it, but I feel like there's gotta be something else I can do to improve that.

Knocking off another 5F on the temperature might help. So could cutting back the cook time from 48 hours to... I dunno, 36? 40? Hm. It requires experimenting, I think, but boy that's a lot of meat to use in experimenting

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    48 seems like a lot.
    That's not a cut I use idea, or ever really*, but it's supposed to be more of a braising roast. If you're committed to using the sous vide, maybe include a pre- cook marinade? Otherwise I'd probably slow roast it with a wet rub and repeated basting.

*Back home they rarely even sell it as a cut, it's used almost exclusively for corned beef.

tynic on
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I know a lot of sous vide recipes call for the finishing step to be a second sear to the already cooked meat, to give it back some texture and to get a bit of browning. And 48 hours seems a bit excessive.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Decided to make chilaquiles this morning and was pretty impressed with the results.

szaMhAu.jpg

Ingredients:
    Leftover jarred salsa (2 varieties, we were just about out of the medium my wife likes and I threw in some of my spicy hot salsa too)
    1/2 cup of chicken broth
    big handful of tortilla chips
    small bit of chopped onion
    fried eggs
    bacon
    not pictured (lime wedge squeezed over top)

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wow, that looks great

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    For the curious, that is a pork shoulder overnighting in a spice rub/marinade of garlic, smoked paprika, brown sugar, salt, pepper, thyme, and olive oil

I could do with a recipe for that rub. I do like me an hours-long roasted pork shoulder, and flavor suggestions would be nice.

This afternoon, I finally went and made a brunch of pancakes topped with a melted peanut-butter sauce, with chocolate melted into it as well. Topped the whole thing with sliced strawberry and banana. Delicious. And stupidly easy to make.

Enlong on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I made Okonomiyaki. It tastes good, but man, flipping this dumb thing is hard. It broke up into a few pieces.
    22459203_866201524710_6416634098682486467_o.jpg?oh=e56c3241ef767717c92c909fb9483525&oe=5A40C673

• Options
    Reginald wrote: »
    I know a lot of sous vide recipes call for the finishing step to be a second sear to the already cooked meat, to give it back some texture and to get a bit of browning. And 48 hours seems a bit excessive.

I did sear the living piss out of it, believe you me, so the edges have a nicer texture to them.

I'm not just married to the sous vide idea; it was mostly just an experiment, since I've never had an eye of round that came out quite right, not even as a kid. This isn't going to come up very often, but I'll definitely try either different cook times or different cooking methods altogether in the future

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Just picked up two 7lb briskets for smoking tomorrow. I'm very excited.

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    while other people are out, partying, i made croutons for tomorrow's soup in advance while watching sillicon valley at 1 am.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    Gonna do a skirt steak with orzo pasta tonight.

Skirt steak has become one of our fave beef dinners.

Gonna play with the marinade a bit, since I don't have rice vinegar. Should be tasty!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I went to a fancy spice shop for the first time to buy a bottle of madras curry powder. Tonight, we dine on chili cheese fries. Tomorrow, crockpot beef madras.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    After having the leftovers I've decided I was too harsh on that eye of round. Most of my problems with it are probably due to the lack of fat, and the softness of the meat isn't really unpleasant. It's still the best eye of round I've ever been in range of, so I'ma call it a success!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Uriel wrote: »
    Well now I'm going to have to try roasting a chicken huh.

whatever gelatinous blobbage that's in the pan after roasting that you don't use for gravy/sauce, add it to your stock

other stock options are chicken wings, esp chicken wing tips, I buy whole wings and cut off the tips for stock and then have chicken wings for dinner. the little circled bit is surprisingly flavory collageny goodness

hfg7a5h1taj8.jpg

cabsy on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Ghost salt fried chicken and mashed potatoes were very successful, albeit not as spicy as i would have liked. Didn't want to oversalt. Still good!

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    *likes every post in the good fud thread*
    gimme

grrmusha on
  • Options
    And the dough for peanut butter cookies is firming up in the fridge.

This time I'm not going halfway. I'm going to put a piece of chocolate into every single cookie center.

But.

do I do dark chocolate.

Or do I do the peanut butter filled milk chocolate.

Or do I be crazy and do a combination.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If you look into your heart, deep inside, you will see that dark chocolate is always the answer.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just took my first stew off the heat and haven't tried a bowl full yet but tried the individual parts for texture's sake. I'm nervous.

First thing is that it isn't really a stew quality. I was talked into putting more liquid into the pot 2/3 of the way through cooking, which maybe helped, maybe didn't, but even without that I didn't want to overdo flour addition.

The meat came out right at least, even though it's not actual stew meat. The store was out and the guy at the meat department suggested London Broil, even took it to the back to cut it up for me. I'm impressed. Came out tender, cooked through, still juicy.

Aside from that it's potatoes, baby carrots, spinach (I should've gone with kale, my gut instinct, to make it more like things my grandma would cook), and a couple quartered onions for flavor's sake. More of a soup I guess, I dunno.

• Options
    yea if you are using a sweeter peanut butter I would totally go with a dark chocolate to offset it.

• Options
    Yeah.

I tested it with just the milk and peanut butter centers. Not as amazing still warm. I'm hoping they'll be better once they cool and the chocolate hardens back up.

But will definitely do the dark chocolate centers from now on.

This discussion has been closed.