As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] GO TO NEW THREAD HOMIES

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    I recall seeing that, yeah.

I'm not much into fighting games, but Smash looks cool, and I'm just fine with there being a Smash on all platforms, because who hasn't wanted to make everyone fight?

I don't think it's a problem since, after all, Killer Instinct is still a pretty humble project. "Hey, here's a sequel to that old fighting game you played as a kid! It was pretty goofy back then to, so we figured, hey, why not throw in a bunch of completely optional cameos from our other games? If you didn't like the original game, you probably aren't gonna' give a shit about this one."

Which is a good way of doing it. I hope Double Helix and MS stay with that approach. Obviously, Smash is Smash--they did it first, and that does matter, and they still do it well. Saying KI can compete with that is like saying Splatoon can compete with Halo (much less Call of Duty). It doesn't make Splatoon any less of a great game, but it doesn't change that it is Splatoon. When you put a decade+ of work into it, through the good and bad, maybe it'll be different. But not before.

On the other hand, I got the impression Playstation All-Stars tried, immediately, to be Smash. That might not be reasonable, but that's certainly the appearance of it (and it's not as though KI isn't being judged by appearances either). So no matter how good a game it was, or how good the character licensing was, it wasn't going to be Smash. And now, as a game, it's kind of stuck where it is.

Really, KI isn't even quite what Playstation All-Stars was, at least to me--and I'm fine with that. That's my perspective as a fan of 2D and 3D fighters.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Actually, I was thinking about how Banjo Kazooie would work in Killer Instinct. Now stop, give me a second and hear me out:

Instead of a cartoony bird & bear, just have Banjo be an actual grizzly bear wearing shorts and a backpack, and have Kazooie be some kind of red mutant seagull. This would fit KI's aesthetic well and be a funny spin.

Of course, this would probably piss off the people that are still mad about Nuts & Bolts.

Edit: Something like this.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Actually, I was thinking about how Banjo Kazooie would work in Killer Instinct. Now stop, give me a second and hear me out:

Instead of a cartoony bird & bear, just have Banjo be an actual grizzly bear wearing shorts and a backpack, and have Kazooie be some kind of red mutant seagull. This would fit KI's aesthetic well and be a funny spin.

Of course, this would probably piss off the people that are still mad about Nuts & Bolts.

I think it's doable!

Let's face it, some of the KI cast members--and here I'm thinking Spider Lady--are already pretty darn goofy in an unintentional kind of way.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Cokomon wrote: »

I think it's doable!

Let's face it, some of the KI cast members--and here I'm thinking Spider Lady--are already pretty darn goofy in an unintentional kind of way.

There's a skeleton and a bionic velociraptor. I mean... I think we're okay with some goofy here.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    I recall seeing that, yeah.

I'm not much into fighting games, but Smash looks cool, and I'm just fine with there being a Smash on all platforms, because who hasn't wanted to make everyone fight?

I don't think it's a problem since, after all, Killer Instinct is still a pretty humble project. "Hey, here's a sequel to that old fighting game you played as a kid! It was pretty goofy back then to, so we figured, hey, why not throw in a bunch of completely optional cameos from our other games? If you didn't like the original game, you probably aren't gonna' give a shit about this one."

Which is a good way of doing it. I hope Double Helix and MS stay with that approach. Obviously, Smash is Smash--they did it first, and that does matter, and they still do it well. Saying KI can compete with that is like saying Splatoon can compete with Halo (much less Call of Duty). It doesn't make Splatoon any less of a great game, but it doesn't change that it is Splatoon. When you put a decade+ of work into it, through the good and bad, maybe it'll be different. But not before.

On the other hand, I got the impression Playstation All-Stars tried, immediately, to be Smash. That might not be reasonable, but that's certainly the appearance of it (and it's not as though KI isn't being judged by appearances either). So no matter how good a game it was, or how good the character licensing was, it wasn't going to be Smash. And now, as a game, it's kind of stuck where it is.

Really, KI isn't even quite what Playstation All-Stars was, at least to me--and I'm fine with that. That's my perspective as a fan of 2D and 3D fighters.

its not Double Helix any more its Iron Galaxy. Amazon bought Double Helix after they finished up KI season 1.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    KI is more a 'real' fighting game than Smash. It's more directly comparable to Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. The combo breaker system is really cool, and the meter is usually used in a passive way instead of a super duper move. The bread and butter of KI is the combo system. Knowing when to press forward a combo and when to guard is important. It's a high-octane game of Rock Paper Scissors and I love it.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    KI is more a 'real' fighting game than Smash.

Please don't let Smash fans hear you say this

Also the idea of realistic Banjo/Kazooie sounds basically just like Kuma from Tekken, but with a bird on its back

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'd go with "traditional" over "real".

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm looking for an RPG, is this Stranger of Sword City worthwhile?

I haven't played a japanese RPG in forever (used to love the old Working Designs games and Squaresoft stuff), and the trailer looks decent. Sort of simple in having no major animations but seems to have a story and is in japanese which I'm cool with.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    KI is more a 'real' fighting game than Smash. It's more directly comparable to Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. The combo breaker system is really cool, and the meter is usually used in a passive way instead of a super duper move. The bread and butter of KI is the combo system. Knowing when to press forward a combo and when to guard is important. It's a high-octane game of Rock Paper Scissors and I love it.

Not to mention one of the few games you can have a Grudge Ghost fight a Cybernetic Raptor in a cheerleader outfit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnUYyHfzgE

For me playing Pretty Pretty Punch Mans with my guys in KI is half the fun. Nothing says FEAR ME Like a neon Pink dinosaur in a cheerleader outfit :D

• Options
    So all of this KI talk got me to hop back into it last night. I have S1 through GwG, and I bought S2 on discount. I like game, but I wasn't having too much fun playing against the computer because they were constantly pounding me into the pavement. For some reason, I couldn't find where in the settings to change the difficulty. I finally figured it out yesterday. It turned out that the difficulty was set to "Killer", one of the highest settings.

Now I'm having a lot more fun with the game.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Be happy the difficulty wasn't on KYLE. The button reading cheating FUCK!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvcWIkmDlHA

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    March Update is live.

Ability to see achievement score in current game using the sidedash made easier. (Much appreciated, old way was slow as fuck and clunky)

Ability to choose how long gameclips are. (Been wanting 1minute clips over 30seconds for a long time)

Friendslist overview looks a bit better now.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Halo Wars, Soul Calibur 2 HD, and KoF '98 are now officially on BC for everyone. Get to it!

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    March Update is live.

Ability to see achievement score in current game using the sidedash made easier. (Much appreciated, old way was slow as fuck and clunky)

Ability to choose how long gameclips are. (Been wanting 1minute clips over 30seconds for a long time)

Hasn't it been live a few days now? I know I looked at the sidedash achievement thing yesterday or so.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    March Update is live.

Hasn't it been live a few days now? I know I looked at the sidedash achievement thing yesterday or so.

... Maybe? It suddenly wanted to install the update when I was looking at an achievement earlier today, didnt really play the last few days due to easter stuff.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    March Update is live.

i think they do staggered roll outs, so some will get it sooner than others once its live. the announcements usually come at the point when everyone should have it.

• Options
    I guess. I know the One is getting updates when it decides to make noises in the middle of the night.

*obligatory joke here*

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I guess. I know the One is getting updates when it decides to make noises in the middle of the night.

*obligatory joke here*

This is actually true for me to, due to my (slightly) noisy 7200 RPM USB drive.

"Wuh-WIRL-Wuh-Wuh-Wuh-Click.....*silence*.."

"Huh, must be another update for Halo 5 or Funimation or something."

Synthesis on
  • Options
    At least it doesn't sound like the Dreamcast loading a disc. It was like it was trying to go back in time but on dial-up...

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think the xbox one overall is the quietest console Ive ever had, even with those noises

• Options
    Yeah, I unhook my USB drive from the xbox one because it would spin up randomly at night.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHEegUegYB4

Mmmm some of those costumes. Looks like this is going to be a busy season. Wonder what Shadow Lords is gonna entail in total.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Aw, I was hoping for some footage of the two unannounced characters.

• Options
    I'm sure they'll pop up in in Gargos' full trailer.

And we know on of them is...
    General RAAM

post.png
  • Options
    I like Vampire lady's Masked costume. I can see rocking that costume as my main for her.

• Options
    Left 4 Dead 2 is up on back compat now too.

• Options
    Left 4 Dead 2 is up on back compat now too.

Love this game, this is great news

• Options
    Tried out the Killer Instinct season 3 update. I didn't actually buy it yet, but I wanted to see the improvements to the graphics and everything. The new character is nice, it's not longer really janky trying to select your character. I played some rounds against computer Rash, Kim Wu, Tusk and Arbiter. They all seem cool, and I look forward to grabbing one of the editions soon.

Also, I didn't realize you could customize your character's outfit in this game. I know this was prior to season 3, I just didn't realize you could do it.

post.png
  • Options
    Dead Space has been added to BC for those that have it. for those that don't it will be available as through GwG next month.

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Dead Space has been added to BC for those that have it. for those that don't it will be available as through GwG next month.

Super looking forward to this. These BC updates have been fast and furious this past week.

• Options
    well this is a shocker, MS has deliver on one of their most ambitious promises for the Xbox One, allowing you to turn a retail unit into a dev kit at absolutely no charge. available to everyone with an Xbox One, the feature is still a preview build and will get a full release in the summer.

Starting today, anyone can turn their Xbox One into a dev kit for free
    Dev Mode Demo

In a short demonstration over Skype earlier this week, Charla showed how easy it is to switch a retail Xbox One into one that can be used for testing UWP apps and games.

First, a user has to download the Dev Mode activation app from the Xbox Games Store. Launching the app kicks off a welcome screen and a link to documentation that details what to expect when you switch over from retail to a dev kit, as well as the requirements.

The requirements include that you:

Join the Windows Insider Program
    Are running Windows 10 on your PC
    Have a wired connection to your PC from your Xbox One
    Install the latest Visual Studio 2015 and Windows builds
    Have at least 30 GB of storage free on your console

The introduction also warns that once you've converted your console over, you may occasionally run into issues running retail games. In addition, the introduction says, leaving Dev Mode will require resetting your console to its factory settings and uninstalling all of your games, apps and content.

Upon agreeing, you're given a code that can be entered on your computer once you sign into your Dev Center account. The activation can take awhile and usually requires updating your console. Once it's complete, the console restarts and returns you to your standard startup screen.

"It doesn't take a lot of time to switch to Dev Mode," Charla said as he took me through the process on Microsoft's remote console.

After setting up Dev Mode, a user simply pairs their Xbox One with Visual Studio, which sees the console as a Windows 10 machine to which it can deploy content directly through a wired connection.

"When a UWP app is running, it doesn't know it's running on an Xbox," Charla said. "It just knows it's a Windows 10 device."

Charla demonstrated this by launching a little flight game created using Unity.

"You don't have to do a lot of extra stuff to get a game to run on Xbox One," he said. "There is no specific Xbox API for Unity. You can do some things with screen resolution, but really you don't have to do much."

The space shooter game, Charla said, was created with Visual Studio Community — free software from Microsoft — and developed on a personal copy of Unity, which you can download for free and which doesn't have any Xbox-specific code.

"To us it's very important to be able to do that," Charla said. "We really see this as an amazing solution, especially for hobbyists, students, anyone who wants to get started with games."

obviously there are some issues with the preview build, but hopefully they'll be sorted by the time its full build is ready to go live. still, even with those issues its a pretty big thing for MS to have finally delivered on this promise. am sure that there are more than a few that thought they've never follow through or that it would come too late to matter.

so yeah, retail Xbones as dev kits are now a thing.

• Options
    Wow, I figured that was something they were quietly going to pretend they never said. Kudos, I guess.

• Options
    you and a lot of others i expect. gonna be interesting to see how people respond to this and how it evolves.

• Options
    Seems like a variant of the Creator's Club. Kinda bummed I let my subscription lapse before they ended it since they gave CC members a lifetime sub to Windows Developer. :\

To think, I'm that much closer to having the means to maek games and willfully not maek games again. <3

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    well this is a shocker, MS has deliver on one of their most ambitious promises for the Xbox One, allowing you to turn a retail unit into a dev kit at absolutely no charge. available to everyone with an Xbox One, the feature is still a preview build and will get a full release in the summer.

Starting today, anyone can turn their Xbox One into a dev kit for free
    Dev Mode Demo

In a short demonstration over Skype earlier this week, Charla showed how easy it is to switch a retail Xbox One into one that can be used for testing UWP apps and games.

First, a user has to download the Dev Mode activation app from the Xbox Games Store. Launching the app kicks off a welcome screen and a link to documentation that details what to expect when you switch over from retail to a dev kit, as well as the requirements.

The requirements include that you:

Join the Windows Insider Program
    Are running Windows 10 on your PC
    Have a wired connection to your PC from your Xbox One
    Install the latest Visual Studio 2015 and Windows builds
    Have at least 30 GB of storage free on your console

The introduction also warns that once you've converted your console over, you may occasionally run into issues running retail games. In addition, the introduction says, leaving Dev Mode will require resetting your console to its factory settings and uninstalling all of your games, apps and content.

Upon agreeing, you're given a code that can be entered on your computer once you sign into your Dev Center account. The activation can take awhile and usually requires updating your console. Once it's complete, the console restarts and returns you to your standard startup screen.

"It doesn't take a lot of time to switch to Dev Mode," Charla said as he took me through the process on Microsoft's remote console.

After setting up Dev Mode, a user simply pairs their Xbox One with Visual Studio, which sees the console as a Windows 10 machine to which it can deploy content directly through a wired connection.

"When a UWP app is running, it doesn't know it's running on an Xbox," Charla said. "It just knows it's a Windows 10 device."

Charla demonstrated this by launching a little flight game created using Unity.

"You don't have to do a lot of extra stuff to get a game to run on Xbox One," he said. "There is no specific Xbox API for Unity. You can do some things with screen resolution, but really you don't have to do much."

The space shooter game, Charla said, was created with Visual Studio Community — free software from Microsoft — and developed on a personal copy of Unity, which you can download for free and which doesn't have any Xbox-specific code.

"To us it's very important to be able to do that," Charla said. "We really see this as an amazing solution, especially for hobbyists, students, anyone who wants to get started with games."

obviously there are some issues with the preview build, but hopefully they'll be sorted by the time its full build is ready to go live. still, even with those issues its a pretty big thing for MS to have finally delivered on this promise. am sure that there are more than a few that thought they've never follow through or that it would come too late to matter.

so yeah, retail Xbones as dev kits are now a thing.

They took their sweet time, didn't they?

This absolutely seemed like a vapor'd program--it had all the characteristics of it--but with one crucial difference: it was one thing that directly benefited Microsoft's Xbox program, as oppose to just being a bonus solely for customers (at least if implemented correctly). So I'm not surprised it eventually happened, so much as how long it took them.

• Options
    honestly, i'd say their initial plan of year one was overly ambitious, especially with all the changes that have happened at MS over the last couple of years. saying that i don't think 3 years is that long, especially for a console with a proposed 10 year life span.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I think they would have done this a long time ago if both the games division and the rest of the company didn't go through a major change in management after they initially announced that. At some point after the blowout of the initial announcement of the console and the release they decided to switch the OS over to the Windows 10 base it's built on now, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just put it on hold so they wouldn't have to build dev kit functionality twice for consumers. This way they can just revise it as Windows 10 changes, and not have to start from scratch at any point.

As someone who got the Xbox One over the PS4 primarily because I liked the idea of being able to use it as a Dev Kit if I ever needed one, this news is awesome, but also I bought the box a loooong time ago, I'm not terribly happy it didn't happen sooner than this.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Considering how easy it is to straight up brick your console with a dev kit mode, I am sure they wanted to make it bulletproof so as to not immediately fuck up thousands of Xbones

• Options