As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fighting Games ... Combo Breaker May 27-29th!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    that is some pro level guile hair

he was at the top of his game

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    In SVC anyway, the lifebar was that way for mechanics -- you could only perform Exceed supers you have half life (i.e. only a red life bar).

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    M-Tee wrote: »
    That'd make sense. Looking at the comment, the health bar feature was added in the hack, and I didn't know about the hack until I just googled "double health bar". haha

Anyway, found the one that I was probably remembering. Used to put a lot of time into SVC Chaos when it came out, (road trips for machines until one was finally put in my town, and then eventually on XBOX Live). I assumed it was pretty normal fare (I barely touched anything more mainstream than that), so just assumption alone. Now, as for the first? I don't know. But. the amount of time I put into Chaos probably means it's what I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQnd4Cw4oMU

The later Samurai Shodown games as well as The Last Blade games had that curious double life bar, and both significantly predate SvC.

But there may be a yet earlier example I have forgotten...

... now that I think about it, Real Bout Fatal Fury (1995) had the doubled life bars, and it predates SamSho' first use of it and the first Last Blade game. Is there one even earlier than that?

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    That'd probably explain why I thought it was common, as I played almost exclusively SNK titles.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Locals have basically been only sfv and gg, but it turns out theres a bunch of guys around here that love skullgirls

The last time I played it, they were getting ready to release the first dlc char, however long ago that was

So we ran a tournament last night and I entered basically to eat up a bye and wound up getting 2nd

• Options
    The moral of the story is most die-hard skullgirls fans are really really bad at it

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    The moral of the story is most die-hard skullgirls fans are really really bad at it

Pretty sure the moral of that story is how YUGE your dick is, Captain Humblebrag :-p .

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Wasn't nothing humble about that brag, I did crazy well at a game that I haven't played in a zillion years using a character I've never seen before

That is a not humble brag, I am flat boasting because it felt real good

• Options

The Mystery Game Tournament has started.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Gargos is out today in KI. I do not look forward to playing good Gargos players.

@templewulf I'll have him for White Belts this weekend, assuming I can make it. (I should be able to)

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Gargos is out today in KI. I do not look forward to playing good Gargos players.

@templewulf I'll have him for White Belts this weekend, assuming I can make it. (I should be able to)
    Thank you!

I didn't expect to like him, but the videos are pretty convincing. I hope he's easier to come to grips with than zato-1.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    they are auctioning characters to play in a sf5 tournament?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »
    they are auctioning characters to play in a sf5 tournament?

they have an auction side tournament, 16 man single elimination

• Options
    y watching it now

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    man the "arturo has no sponsor" jokes are not going away anytime soon huh

edit: ok fuck that you deserve all the jokes Art. You better be on the can with the shits or something, because you are about to lose 300/700 dollar

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Out of SFV pools - too many stupid mistakes, I'm actually kind of mad at myself right now

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Gargos appears to be 100% distilled bullshit.

• Options
    Gargos appears to be 100% distilled bullshit.

I did like the guy that spent $220 on Gargos in the auction tournament and lost first round though

• Options
    You should have stayed longer. I am now drinking alone at the bar. Shenanigans may ensue.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So during Skull Girls one of the guys said "SF5 setups", and someone ran up mid commentary and told him not to mention SF5...was that a Capcom guy or someone else? Because that's just stupid. Especially mid stream, when everyone can hear you saying it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I wonder what this special announcement will be

• Options
    jesus they're not broadcasting any more SF5?

just straight into top 8 on sunday

what the actual fuck

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    jesus they're not broadcasting any more SF5?

just straight into top 8 on sunday

what the actual fuck

Meanwhile, MKX character auction and Skullgirls top 16 on the main stream.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    yes...

i'm so confused.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    There's a pretty sizable mortal kombat and skullgirls community around combo breaker iirc.

• Options
    they have 5 streams

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Made it to losers semis in my mystery game pool.

We wont talk about the other ones.

• Options
    Has Capcom started charging for streaming sf5 or something...

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Capcom are professional blunderers, at any rate

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I caught part of the Killer Instict stream earlier and noticed that they were using the latest patch (because Gargos was on the character select screen).

But that patch just got released yesterday afternoon. Don't tournaments usually avoid having the gameplay tweaked that close to a tournament? Or is KI turn-out so low they figured nobody would care?

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I caught part of the Killer Instict stream earlier and noticed that they were using the latest patch (because Gargos was on the character select screen).

But that patch just got released yesterday afternoon. Don't tournaments usually avoid having the gameplay tweaked that close to a tournament? Or is KI turn-out so low they figured nobody would care?

They originally announced the pre gargos patch but auto internet updates forced upgrafe on their systems. I think they just said fuck it and only banned gargos.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    Big part of the stream schedule is that the main stream station lost power for about an hour - 90 minutes, when they were supposed to be streaming SF5, so not as much time got devoted to that compared to skullgirls

But I don't know anything about going straight to top 8

Also dang those skullgirls people get rowdy

• Options
    Made it to losers semis in my mystery game pool.

We wont talk about the other ones.

Hey man you did a lot better than me

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Thought I wasn't going cause someone cancelled last minute but ended up going anyway.

Got to mess around with T7 a bit but the casual stations are packed for the most part.

Nice pool though. Might try to get in it.

• Options
    Farangu wrote: »
    Big part of the stream schedule is that the main stream station lost power for about an hour - 90 minutes, when they were supposed to be streaming SF5, so not as much time got devoted to that compared to skullgirls

But I don't know anything about going straight to top 8

Also dang those skullgirls people get rowdy

well i've kept checking all the streams but after SK top 16 started it was only that, KI and tekken left on 3 streams. The rest went offline.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    https://combobreaker.org/schedule
    bgcallisto has top 64 to top 8.

Also, it kind of sucks not having SFV in the main stream, but yeah, Combo Breaker had a shitload of entrants in a bunch of games, way above the norm, and I love that they're willing to shed on light on atypical games. Vampire Savior+Skullgirls top 8 having a slot in the Sunday main stream is fucking great.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    https://t.co/lqWChz0Ryp

BEACH BALL TOURNEY

This discussion has been closed.