As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Winter Rift is Coming

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I remember that once was something like "Loss avoided" in ranked game. Apperantly it no longer works, because i didn't see that one fir i think last 1.5 years.

I just had game with support Zyra... who picked TP... and Fervor of Battle... and was afk for first 8 minutes... and died 10 times in next 15 minutes... and never communicated with team. You would think that something like that would be a reason enough to get "Loss avoided".

You would be wrong.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    no loss prevention is only turned on when there are server and technical issues

liEt3nH.png
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I like Swan's new Q. And I like how his ult feels like you're at the center of a chaotic ravenous crow hurricane.

I don't like the momentary root on his ult

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    New Veigar seems like he can stack AP much better. A rage cage + W on the entire team is ten AP added.

I don't like his new ult. I think it being an execute is kind of dumb. It still scales ridiculously with AP but I miss the scaling on targets AP. :/

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    So I don't play Ahri, what are the attributes in her that you like in midlane, that you hope to also see in a jungler?
    The ability to both pick and peel is the biggest, together with good AoE damage from her Q in teamfights. Also, her ult's 3 charges are dynamite to save me from my "oh wait I'm overextended" moments.

• Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    So I don't play Ahri, what are the attributes in her that you like in midlane, that you hope to also see in a jungler?
    The ability to both pick and peel is the biggest, together with good AoE damage from her Q in teamfights. Also, her ult's 3 charges are dynamite to save me from my "oh wait I'm overextended" moments.

Ok, so this is probably going to expose my low elo thinking, but here goes.

To me, pick and peel are the same thing/very similar. In the sense that say a Voli Q is a pick on a mispositioned enemy, or can be used to peel that ulting Warwick off your carry. In this sense, point and click hard CC/displacement can be considered ideal, and there are a lot of champs that fit the bill: Amumu, Cho, Ekko, Fiddle, Xin etc. But you could expand this to others with Skillshots like Hecarim, Jarvan, Sejuani etc.

But then you also want the aoe damage and an escape, which to me does narrow the field quite a bit. Sion might work, using his ult to get away from fights and he does have a ton of aoe and CC. Ekko is also probably a great choice with the caveat being that his CC and escape with R are harder to land and therefore more situational but he fits the rest of your requirements easily. Other champs fill parts of your requirements, like Rek'sai or Panth, but not all the reqs. Ekko might be the optimal choice here.

Or maybe even Taliyah when she is released.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Remember when there wasn't a Lucian in every match? That was a good time.

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Ok, I went against my better judgment and played some ranked yesterday. Reports from 4 games of high silver (in which we went 2-2):

People are definitely having fun trying out mages that they might or might not actually be able to play. Introduces a lot of variance as people rediscover their synergy or completely lack thereof with a certain champion, or pick in such a way as to create a bad teamcomp. Also variance as people may or may not understand how champions have been reworked.

Zyra seems quite strong as support. She was before, of course, but now that there's a definite emphasis on plants over burst from Q, she's somewhat oppressive to play against and feels great to play as. Not necessarily pick+ban (...well, maybe...) but definitely understand that she does AP carry lvls of damage and to really try not to all-in next to plants, even early.

In every game I played, including the losses, we had good dragon control. The dragons are quite fun at the moment so people are valuing them highly regardless of their actual overall beneficial nature.

Trying to play around new mages is definitely a big part of these games, but you've always had to play around your and opponent's choice of midlaners, so it's not the weirdest. Remains to be seen whether I feel useless as adc or not. Certainly I'm motivated to play some support Zyra if my duo bro isn't around...

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If the cooldown wasn't so long it would be amusing to

Ok, so this is probably going to expose my low elo thinking, but here goes.

To me, pick and peel are the same thing/very similar. In the sense that say a Voli Q is a pick on a mispositioned enemy, or can be used to peel that ulting Warwick off your carry. In this sense, point and click hard CC/displacement can be considered ideal, and there are a lot of champs that fit the bill: Amumu, Cho, Ekko, Fiddle, Xin etc. But you could expand this to others with Skillshots like Hecarim, Jarvan, Sejuani etc.

But then you also want the aoe damage and an escape, which to me does narrow the field quite a bit. Sion might work, using his ult to get away from fights and he does have a ton of aoe and CC. Ekko is also probably a great choice with the caveat being that his CC and escape with R are harder to land and therefore more situational but he fits the rest of your requirements easily. Other champs fill parts of your requirements, like Rek'sai or Panth, but not all the reqs. Ekko might be the optimal choice here.

Or maybe even Taliyah when she is released.

They're similar. Pick sets up kills, peel gets your guys away from them. Stuns and roots work for both. Slows are mainly a peel effect, or1v1 stickiness.

Pick also tends to refer to engage CC - either things like Malphite/Vi who stun you and close to your face, or Blitz yoinking you into his team. These are all strong but less useful as peel (well, they can be... but they're mainly for getting a fight started on your terms).

Vi's Q is decent as peel though, since it's a brief CC and suddenly a major threat on you. Malphite's Q too. Both are overshadowed for pick by their ults of course.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

What about Jarvan? Mobile, Aoe dmg, can peel or engage.

Also was just thinking about Aatrox. Again mobile, can peel or engage, blood pool activates upon mistaken engage giving you a second chance.

Not like Ahri, exactly, but both have the traits you want.
    Aatrox also gets pretty unstoppable lategame.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular

Clearly you need to play Ahri jungle. Or maybe Bard.

(I don't know who the closest "real" jungler would be for what you want. Nidalee picks people by just blowing them up and has good mobility. Gragas has good peel and mobility as well. Amumu or Sejuani brings CC and AoE damage.)
    credeiki wrote: »
    Also was just thinking about Aatrox. Again mobile, can peel or engage, blood pool activates upon mistaken engage giving you a second chance.

Not like Ahri, exactly, but both have the traits you want.
    Aatrox also gets pretty unstoppable lategame.

I hope the new item changes help Aatrox (seems like they might) because he's been pretty bad for a while. I might be running him a bit wrong, too.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    Aatrox is bad pretty much since his birth. I remember maybe one month when he was played at LCS and making plays, but then nerfs happened and everyone forgot he was ever good. Right now, he is honestly one of them ost forgettable champions in a game.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    tempted to try veig support and see if he can scale enough just from champ poke

Asthariel wrote: »
    Aatrox is bad pretty much since his birth. I remember maybe one month when he was played at LCS and making plays, but then nerfs happened and everyone forgot he was ever good. Right now, he is honestly one of them ost forgettable champions in a game.

I just got wrecked by a team containing Aatrox with the new item yesterday (and I personally was getting dived by said Aatrox attacking really quickly and for a lot of dmg and healing insanely quickly), and also 2 days ago my Tuesday night league game got wrecked by a stacked devourer Aatrox, so he's on my radar.

I agree that in general he is forgettable, but, with a 49% winrate last patch, not the worst jungler in the universe, and he does have some of the specific qualities that Raevyn wanted.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I don't play aatrox but I carried a couple of normals with him building devourer and then straight tank

kinda fun to just sit there and plink away, invincibly

Definitely not Dominion coming to the Rotating Game Mode, it's Dom with some tweaks.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    oh now they put work into dominion

these gormless sons of fucks

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    It'd be hilarious if, of all the game modes, it's the most popular one.

butts
    If anyone doubted that Taliyah was heavily inspired by an Avatar, splash art of her skin should convince even those ones. She looks more waterbendery that original waterbenders.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So the changes for Definitely Not Dom involve that the bottom two points are disabled and that wedge of the map is sealed off, and if you go in there a laser blasts you in the face ala the spawn points.

m4lES79.png

Storm Runes in the center are gone, replaced with a Storm Altar.
    The center Storm Runes have been replaced with an altar that you can capture for a temporary combat buff. The Nimbus Storm buff gives you 3 charges that do 4/5/6% max HP true damage on any spell or attack. While controlling the altar, all allied team members also generate a free charge of the Storm Nimbus every 4 sec while in combat. Great for siege breaking and uprooting enemy teams that are dug-in on a point.

Down by those points each team has a Ultra Minion relic. Capturing the opposing team's relic causes Ultra Minions to spawn on the next wave, which capture points a lot faster and deal more damage. The relic respawns after a delay, so you don't have to go down there to recapture anything.

Trinket's been replaced with a Seer Stone trinket, to help face-check brush for you.

Minions spawn at the bottom points (the disabled ones), walk clock-wise or anti-turnways depending on what side of the map you're on, and keep going if they capture a point. They don't de-spawn.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    What're they calling Definitely Not Dom?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    @Talith and the Monkey's Paw.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I spent first 3 months of season stuck in Silver IV, but finally i started to climb - it took me 3 weeks to get to Silver III, and now 1 week to Silver II. Trundle is my main top laner so far, with Poppy as a second choice. Last game of my promo was a total ownage thanks to mid lane Katarina on my team, who got her first kill on enemy top lane Teemo which helped my greatly, and then the rest was predictable.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    They put Cdr on hour glass. Thank god. This is A straight buff for me

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    What're they calling Definitely Not Dom?

Whatever it ends up being, I hope it's wearing a set of glasses with a fake mustache and weird nose.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Interesting.

N8QvjHS.png

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    So how can I fight Singed as Olaf? I feel like his strat is to force me to take a ton of minion damage by thinning out my wave and building his wave up, then throwing me into the wave and slowing me whilst sustaining himself with his ult. Is this correct?

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, lots of good ideas. I wish getting IP wasnt such a pain in the patookus so I could try champs out on demand (or there was a $20-40 buy all champions option), but I guess this keeps me locked into the game longer. I'll report on feed/success once I finally just spend the IP and get some games in :p

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    i submit two replay.gg games for your perusal

nautilus nonsense
    malphite madness

both are wins, i think, purely by accident 'cuz i chose these at random out of my last ten games

i just wanted to get a bit of input so i can feed from a spectrum of advice and information that i wouldn't have otherwise in order to improve my play

simply leaving this here in case anyone bothers

Hm, almost pro csing here. Had 230 cs at 24 minutes. Fell off towards the end as we grouped more, but I'm pretty pleased.

i submit two replay.gg games for your perusal

nautilus nonsense
    malphite madness

both are wins, i think, purely by accident 'cuz i chose these at random out of my last ten games

i just wanted to get a bit of input so i can feed from a spectrum of advice and information that i wouldn't have otherwise in order to improve my play

simply leaving this here in case anyone bothers

Without watching these, I can tell you: focus on cs. Often, prioritize getting cs over damaging a champion. You can use the money to buy items to damage the champion more later. On nautilus, sometimes this means using your E to cs, even though it uses mana. A good initial goal for you would be: 100 cs in 20 minutes. Try to reach that, even if your lane opponent isn't csing very much either.

edited May 2016
    When is it safe to run scaling armor yellows into a toplane matchup as opposed to flats? I'm temped to run scaling on Olaf to help with tankiness later in the game, and he gets free 20/30/40 ARM/MR from his ult passive anyway so my main issue is just not dying until 6, then I'm clear ahead on resistances afterwards.

Edit: Tested in a custom and full scaling Armor yellows equalize with flat yellows at level 6. I think I'm going to try this on Olaf.

Hiryu02 on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    Without watching these, I can tell you: focus on cs. Often, prioritize getting cs over damaging a champion. You can use the money to buy items to damage the champion more later. On nautilus, sometimes this means using your E to cs, even though it uses mana. A good initial goal for you would be: 100 cs in 20 minutes. Try to reach that, even if your lane opponent isn't csing very much either.

done deal. i often find myself thinking, "quick dicking around with this fool ass and just start whacking minions; i need some damned items right about now". i mean, i understand the mechanics behind a last hit. you have some animation time and then there's some damage and you kind of get a feel for how low the creep needs to be before you can kill it. that's one thing, but laying that down consistently on a pure instinct basis while also trying to ration out enough harass to keep your opponent from being comfortable in lane is a whole other ball game and that's not even taking into consideration every other aspect of the situation you're in while you're out there.

dota-style stuff is a lot to take in. i only started playing seriously about a year ago or so. as a result, it's going to take some getting used to. advice like yours will, hopefully, get me grooving along the right track.

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    When is it safe to run scaling armor yellows into a toplane matchup as opposed to flats? I'm temped to run scaling on Olaf to help with tankiness later in the game, and he gets free 20/30/40 ARM/MR from his ult passive anyway so my main issue is just not dying until 6, then I'm clear ahead on resistances afterwards.

Generally, when you get free stats, you want the compliment. Cho gets Free Health, you build resistances. Shyvanna gets free Armor and MR, you build health.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    I just got wrecked by a team containing Aatrox with the new item yesterday (and I personally was getting dived by said Aatrox attacking really quickly and for a lot of dmg and healing insanely quickly), and also 2 days ago my Tuesday night league game got wrecked by a stacked devourer Aatrox, so he's on my radar.

I agree that in general he is forgettable, but, with a 49% winrate last patch, not the worst jungler in the universe, and he does have some of the specific qualities that Raevyn wanted.

I have probably been playing him incorrectly, but I've felt very ineffective in jungle games with him unless I get a successful gank early and snowball. He doesn't feel good or effective playing from behind, I guess.

I've actually felt he's better in lane than jungling lately, but I don't know.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    edited May 2016
    why don't i play zac more often

seriously the games where i run him and just max his e and do whatever the hell

i just

i've never had more fun playing this stupid online video game

god bless the lord of rubber blubber FLABBER
    Flabber.jpg

Liquid Ghost on
    Finally a game in which I get camped, Shaco is on the other team, I lose lane but who cares I'm a frothing berserker and it takes at least two of you every time to kill me and somehow we still win.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Remember when there wasn't a Lucian in every match? That was a good time.

before he was released?

steam_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

i just

Flabber.jpg

you just opened a crypt in my mind buried under decades of forgotten things.

steam_sig.png
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

i just

Flabber.jpg
    EucIfYY.gif

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357