Options

[MOVIE] Who Ya Got?

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    From what I remember:

Tales from Earthsea isn't very good (though better than the live action adaption).

The Cat Returns is a pseudo-sequel to Whisper of the Heart I think (or was it The Wind Rises? I can never remember what title goes with which). However, I think the Cat was just in a short scene and was a dream or something in the first one.

Pom Poko is all about raccoon scrotums.

Ponyo is roughly to The Little Mermaid as Spirited Away was to Alice in Wonderland.

I've wanted to see Porco Rosso for a long time but haven't gotten a chance. It's dub has Michael Keaton as a fighter pilot pigman, and Cary Elwes is there too.

Totoro is probably the image most associated with Ghibli.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Superman
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So for my blog I sat down and wrote up some preferences for the Hogwarts houses.

I have some empty spots and want you folks' opinions/thoughts.
    Gryffindor
    Dramatic Film: Miracle
    Action/Comedic Film: Mortal Kombat
    Animated Film: ???
    Film Franchise: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man
    Television Series: Avatar the Last Airbender
    Video Game: Halo
    Board Game: Dungeons & Dragons
    Meal: Porkchops with steamed vegetables & mash-potatoes
    Beverage: Hard cider with Fireball
    Ravenclaw
    Dramatic Film: The Imitiation Game (or October Sky)
    Action/Comedic Film: Sherlock Holmes 2: A Game of Shadows
    Animated Film: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
    Film Franchise: Ghostbusters
    Television Series: Mythbusters
    Video Game: Myst
    Board Game: Chess
    Meal: Chicken Stir-Fry
    Beverage: Mimosa
    Hufflepuff
    Dramatic Film: The Last Samurai
    Action/Comedic Film: ???
    Animated Film: The Incredibles
    Film Franchise: The Fast & Furious
    Television Series: Parks & Recreation
    Video Game: Castle Crashers
    Board Game: The Lord of the Rings
    Meal: Hamburger Helper
    Beverage: Beer
    Slytherin
    Dramatic Film: Steve Jobs
    Action/Comedic Film: The Wolf of Wall Street
    Animated Film: The Emperor's New Groove
    Film Franchise: Iron Man
    Television Series: House of Cards
    Video Game: Civilization
    Board Game: Monopoly
    Meal: Shrimp Pasta
    Beverage: Martini

Thoughts? Ideas?

how did you see gryiffindor and animated film and not fill that blank with the lion king

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Jimmy Olsen
    I'm a dummy.

A big, ol' dumb dummy

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Superlarlarbatman
    Whisper of the Heart is the most underrated Ghibli movie imo.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Superlarlarbatman
    Look, Totoro is in the Ghibli logo for a reason. That film is incredible and even a monster like you won't be able to resist it.

For the other choice I don't think there's any way to really go wrong although I understand that Tales from Earthsea is regarded as rather weak.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Manbat
    You didn't like Spirited Away, so I feel that any advice I would have would be moot.

Also certain parties encouraged me to watch Blind Fury tonight

No regrets, gotta admit

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Superman
    I went with Whisper of the Heart and My Neighbor Totoro

Totoro because it's their logo, figure it's probably most representative of their work (and because I like the more lighthearted fare, Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite one so far)

Whisper of the Heart because honestly it just sounded the most interesting out of all of them

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Superman
    Okay

I can afford to get two of the following Studio Ghibli movies with a Disney Movie Club offer I have right now, which should I get:

Castle in the Sky
    The Cat Returns
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Pom Poko
    Ponyo
    Porco Rosso
    Spirited Away
    Tales from Earthsea
    Whisper of the Heart
    The Wind Rises

The only one I've seen of these is Spirited Away, and I wasn't fond of it, but that was also like well over a decade ago and I've taken a liking to Miyazaki films in the meantime

My Neighbor Totoro and Castle in the Sky would be my two picks there

But it's a shame Princess Mononoke isn't on that list because that's the best Ghibli flick

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Superman
    It is, I just already have it

I currently have Kiki, Mononoke, Howl's and Nausicaa and just added Totoro and Whisper

• Options
    Superman
    It is, I just already have it

I currently have Kiki, Mononoke, Howl's and Nausicaa and just added Totoro and Whisper

Oooh, okay, I totally misread your post

Totoro and Whisper are good choices!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Superlarlarbatman
    I really need to see The Wind Rises

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    When Marnie Was There is really good

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Superlarlarbatman
    Okay

I can afford to get two of the following Studio Ghibli movies with a Disney Movie Club offer I have right now, which should I get:

Castle in the Sky
    The Cat Returns
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Pom Poko
    Ponyo
    Porco Rosso
    Spirited Away
    Tales from Earthsea
    Whisper of the Heart
    The Wind Rises

The only one I've seen of these is Spirited Away, and I wasn't fond of it, but that was also like well over a decade ago and I've taken a liking to Miyazaki films in the meantime

Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away are my favorites from that list, followed closely by Porco Rosso, Totoro, and Ponyo. I haven't seen the others.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Jimmy Olsen
    I just thought of the best/worst trailer mismatch, if we're still playing that.

Seven Psychopaths.

Seriously. Anyone who's seen it knows I'm right here.

• Options
    Superman
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I just thought of the best/worst trailer mismatch, if we're still playing that.

Seven Psychopaths.

Seriously. Anyone who's seen it knows I'm right here.

Is that a greater mismatch than In Bruges though

I don't think so

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Manbat
    Man, Sicario is just such great filmmaking. I just bought a copy of it after seeing it again. I havnt done that in a long while.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Greatest trailer mismatch goes to Metal Gear Solid 2, obvs.

My most cited example of a film trailer that was nothing like the film for me is The Fifth Element. The original trailer that I saw looked like an amazing sci-fi action film that was all super serious over the crazy designs. What I got was "Euro-fashion comedy/sci-fi disappointment."

I love it for what it is now, but it took many years post-opening night viewing to get over my disappointment.

That's probably not even close to what was being asked, though.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The official website for Godzilla Resurgence has been updated.

now, granted, this could just be a fun nod to the fact that the director of Evangelion is co-directed this project

but also, EVA 01 is showing up in an upcoming game in which you try to survive in the middle of a giant monster attack, along with Godzilla

and also japanese media is way less shy about giving away a big twist ahead of time

so

hmm

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

now, granted, this could just be a fun nod to the fact that the director of Evangelion is co-directed this project

but also, EVA 01 is showing up in an upcoming game in which you try to survive in the middle of a giant monster attack, along with Godzilla

and also japanese media is way less shy about giving away a big twist ahead of time

so

hmm

...They wouldn't, right? There's no way they would ... hmm.

Wait. What time is it in Japan right now? And when exactly was the website updated?

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    japan does not usually celebrate april fool's day the way we do but i suppose it is entirely possible

like, the new jojo's debuts today, so does a new kamen rider miniseries

this is just Another Day

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Mansuper
    Yeah, Japan doesn't do April Fools. I dunno what the hell it is, tie-in or reference or what, but whatever it is...they mean it.

• Options
    Superlarlarbatman
    Houk wrote: »
    Yeah, Japan doesn't do April Fools. I dunno what the hell it is, tie-in or reference or what, but whatever it is...they mean it.

It's not really considered a holiday over there, but companies have definitely done April Fools jokes before. Hell, Anime News Network compiles a list every year of all the joke announcements made.

• Options
    Gotcha, I may be a bit... excessively paranoid about that this time of year.

Still, gonna assume this is just a cheeky reference for now.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    As someone who's watched a ton of My Neighbor Totoro in the past few months (thanks Anya)

it is still super sweet and adorable

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Mansuper
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »

It's not really considered a holiday over there, but companies have definitely done April Fools jokes before. Hell, Anime News Network compiles a list every year of all the joke announcements made.

I'd be curious to know how many of those announcements are from the Japanese company and how many are from their U.S./western counterpart.

Not that I doubt it, but it'd be interesting to see how many actual Japanese companies take part in that kind of thing.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Manbat
    Robin Wright is in final talks to join the cast of Blade Runner 2, as one of 3 major female roles in the film.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Superbat
    3! So they're making a trilogy?

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Superlarlarbatman

so

hmm

Godzilla's tail is long as shit in that picture.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Superlarlarbatman
    yeah it's awesome!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Superman
    Don't taint my Godzilla film with your Evangelion bullshit please

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Manbat
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Don't taint my Godzilla film with your Evangelion bullshit please
    It's okay we have American Godzilla for us now

Japan can get all weird

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Will I have to watch anime in preparation for this? I love you Godzilla. And I even love you enough to go this far.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Will I have to watch anime in preparation for this? I love you Godzilla. And I even love you enough to go this far.

Spoken as someone who hasn't watched any of Evangelion yet.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is evangelion the one where at the end the protagonist has to crank it onto sleeping women in order to triumph

• Options
    First of all it's totes an April Fools thing, secondly it seems to imply a separate film from Resurgence by what looks like "Godzilla vs Evangelion" at the bottom there

• Options
    Superlarlarbatman
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Is evangelion the one where at the end the protagonist has to crank it onto sleeping women in order to triumph

he just does that because he's a horrible person, not for any reason related to the plot :rotate:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    It's just a promotional thing. They're selling t-shirts and patches

2140bbc4d5bf9b5b211ae932c7c2be4c1459457469_full.jpg

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Jimmy Olsen
    What as that video in the last thread that showed phantom menace with scenes from other films that looked like it? The trade federation landing scene was repeated in clone wars episodes and its been driving me nuts.

I've also got a theory for the Suicide Squad movie that might fit the mission antagonist or someone like it.
    I'm serious
    Remember Dark Heart from JLU? I'm thinking its either that construct or something like it in the comics that I'm not familiar with and was created on earth.

It could be alien tech, or it could not be.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Jimmy Olsen
    So I was thinking today on my drive home, where is our sequel to the A-Team film a few years back?

That movie was fun, and I want another!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So I was thinking today on my drive home, where is our sequel to the A-Team film a few years back?

That movie was fun, and I want another!

It made like, no money
    Bradley Cooper said it's pretty much dead

This discussion has been closed.