As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOVIE] Who Ya Got?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Jimmy Olsen
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I watched Hail Caesar! and it was alright but man it ain't no Barton Fink

I was definitely disappointed when I realized it would not be some sort of comedic period piece I tell you what

Well you know like a comedic Roman period piece

You'll always have History of the World Pt 1

And a Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum

My mom keeps telling me to watch that one.

you really should.

I will rent it at some point!

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Manbat
    So our experience seeing Green Room the other night was pretty intense. The movie itself is tense as hell, but the atmosphere in the theater was made more so by the presence of some drunk guy in the back row. He's back there talking over the first few minutes, then after he drops his beer bottle the ushers come in and get him out of there (which takes a while). After about 15 minutes, drunk guy walks back in and returns to his seat. 10 minutes later, he leaves again. This continues a few more times until he finally leaves for good 2/3 through the movie.

I wasn't sure if the whole thing was some weird companion performance piece meant to accompany the film, but it sure added to the tension of the flick.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hahahaha that movie was fucking rad
    I was a little bummed because the clip where Lance Reddick shows up while yheyre hanging laundry was on the trailer reel at Family Video while I worked there so I knew there was something up there

But the entire final bits with the Halloween Dance were absolutely amazing and made up for it and the final scene made me lose my shit laughing
    The Guest is basically a movie about "what if they gave the Captain America serum to a total creep"

6F32U1X.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I was pretty disappointed in The Guest. Especially given that You're Next was so good.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Dan Stevens should be in the new runnings for the new Bond.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mansuper
    I really love both the guest and you're next

Can't wait for that guys next movie

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Batman
    It Follows is on Showtime now. I'll have to watch it this week.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Manbat
    Between The Guest and Turbo Kid I have been in 80s synth movie soundtrack heaven

CYpGAPn.png
    Turbo Kid was so fucking good.

aGPmIBD.jpg

His next movie is a Death Note adaptation starring one of the 80 bland-looking white guys who didn't get Spider-Man

6F32U1X.png
    Manbat
    Apple is maybe the most adorable person

CYpGAPn.png
    Manbat
    Mr. G wrote: »

His next movie is a Death Note adaptation starring one of the 80 bland-looking white guys who didn't get Spider-Man
    Will probably still be a good movie

CYpGAPn.png
    Mansuper

Cool!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Yeah. Apple was great. And man I went into Turbo Kid somewhat expecting an overlong internet gag. Like a sort of feature film length Kung Fury. I was so happy to be disappointed. As tongue in cheek as it was it had so much dang heart to it.

aGPmIBD.jpg

Cool!

I think his horror movie, The Woods, is coming first. Death Note will be after that.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    I'm a little surprised Adam Wingard isn't someone Marvel has tried to scoop up, he seems in their wheelhouse

They picked up James Gunn, for god's sake

6F32U1X.png
    I kinda hope they don't in all honesty. But that's definitely one of my little me opinions.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Mansuper
    Gustav wrote: »

Cool!

I think his horror movie, The Woods, is coming first. Death Note will be after that.

Wait what is death note is it not a horror movie

Wait is that that boring show about the book

Death Note is the anime about the book that kills people

6F32U1X.png
    Mansuper
    Ah man

Well I really like wingers maybe he can make that interesting

Death Note is fantastic.

Death Note is an anime or manga or both? So it's an adaptation, but that's where my knowledge ends on it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Superlarlarbatman
    I never saw the anime, so I have no opinion on it, but I liked it when I read the manga.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Superbat

Cool!

Wait what is death note is it not a horror movie

Wait is that that boring show about the book

The story of one foolhardy trumpeter's attempt to hit a High B, a note so difficult, it's caused aneurysms in everyone who has accomplished it.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Superlarlarbatman
    Death Note is an anime or manga or both? So it's an adaptation, but that's where my knowledge ends on it.

It was originally a manga with an anime adaptation, but like most anime adaptations it had a different ending (I think?). It also had two live action movies made in Japan years ago that I remember watching which had a different ending again. Here's hoping this one has yet another different ending!

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    James Gunn has probably been outdone as Marvel's weirdest director choice, come to think of it

That honor probably now goes to them picking Taika Waititi for Thor 3 off of What We Do In The Shadows

6F32U1X.png
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    It Follows is on Showtime now. I'll have to watch it this week.
    I just watched It Follows this weekend! That is a good motion picture. The soundtrack is great and I really love the directing and how often the camera is panning or zooming or otherwise moving in slow but steady fashion.

spoilery stuff, no Raijins allowed
    I love how quickly everyone banded together. I love that it didn't take Jay half the movie to even understand what was going on and they pretty much lay it all out there for her and the audience early on. I love that her friends didn't spend most of the movie thinking she's crazy and distancing themselves. Even when they didn't really know what was happening they were like "well clearly something is happening" and stuck together.

I was not expecting the movie to end when it did. As in, the movie went by really quickly and I honestly would have guessed it had another half hour left when the credits rolled. I also pretty much expected her to get killed at the end, so in that respect I think I'm fine with the lack of closure? Like, it probably would have felt out of place if they suddenly found a way out of nowhere to get rid of it. But I also didn't really want it to end with her and likely Paul being killed. So now it just sort of hangs there, and you might assume that it'll eventually get them at some point, but for now we can at least hope that it'll be a while.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Superbat
    Lorahalo wrote: »

It was originally a manga with an anime adaptation, but like most anime adaptations it had a different ending (I think?). It also had two live action movies made in Japan years ago that I remember watching which had a different ending again. Here's hoping this one has yet another different ending!
    The anime and the manga ultimately had the same ending, but they took slightly different paths to get there in the final stuff, from what I remember.

Also, Top Gun is on Hulu and I suddenly have a need. A need for expeditious velocity.

sig.gif
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Batman
    I'd like to see a live action Record of Lodoss War or Last Exile.

And that's the last anime I will mention.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Between The Guest and Turbo Kid I have been in 80s synth movie soundtrack heaven

The soundtracks to both those movies were fantastic. I haven't seen It Follows yet, but I've heard that its score is just as good. Plus it was done by Disasterpeace (Fez, Hyper Light Drifter), so it's already winning.

Fawst on
    Batman
    I just want more steam punk movies.

It Follows had a slight, unavoidable weakness:
    the fact that the moop only goes for her means it's a generally bloodless movie. I didn't think the film was going to kill her early on which killed some of the tension. Maybe she should have put out more.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    James Gunn has probably been outdone as Marvel's weirdest director choice, come to think of it

That honor probably now goes to them picking Taika Waititi for Thor 3 off of What We Do In The Shadows

I'm both happy that Marvel keeps getting very distinct directors to direct their movies. It's giving people who generally don't get a chance to make a giant blockbuster movie one of the safer atmospheres in which to do so.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Superlarlarbatman
    Tube wrote: »
    Death Note is fantastic.

It's hard not to love how hilariously over-the-top it treats mundane events.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It Follows had a slight, unavoidable weakness:
    the fact that the moop only goes for her means it's a generally bloodless movie. I didn't think the film was going to kill her early on which killed some of the tension. Maybe she should have put out more.

I thought about that aspect when I was writing my post. I suspect that's probably one reason why
    they mostly keep the kids together. In many horror movies you can have the other characters go off on their own because the monster can and probably will still go after them. Since here it's only coming after her (most of the time), there wouldn't be a lot of tension in any scenes that she isn't in.

I was also okay with the relative lack of carnage. I thought it was actually pretty interesting and a nice change of pace that none of her friends were in obvious danger. It helps to sell how single-minded and relentless the thing is. And it makes the friends look even better because they could legitimately get the fuck out of there and not have anything to worry about, but they stick around to help her. For me the creepiness of the premise and the general tone of the movie were more effective than having it kill a bunch of people. Though again, I was expecting her to die for most of the movie. If you weren't that probably does drain some of that tension.

Also, I'm assuming she slept with at least one of those dudes on the boat. Otherwise that scene doesn't seem to have a point. Clearly it didn't buy her much time, though, probably because she didn't tell those dudes that an unstoppable sex-monster was coming for them. So to speak.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Jimmy Olsen
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Oh God, I'm having flashbacks to American Ninja 2.

Oh heavens, that series.

Pretty sure all of it was shown on my local channel 11 before it became a part of UPN or CBS or some shit.

Which movie was it when....
    the white supremacists massacre the entire black family? Has a scene where the hero falls off the roof with the boy in a scene so stupid, my brother and I laughed at it.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

I assume you're talking about his adaptation of Death Note

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    why did no one tell me that Shane Black was making a Predator movie?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I've been willingly ignoring that because I've just been taught to assume Predator sequels are bad

Wasn't Predators generally well-liked

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.