As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Webcomics] Thread: Welcome back Gundi

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Also, whats more selfish, putting your own idealistic morals ahead of the education your family is paying for and your future or playing it safe.

The point is that there isn't a correct answer, because your answer will be based upon your own personal ethos (typing back in to the beginning of the lecture). How you view the world and what you believe in will shape what the answer to the stones question should be under your specific circumstances. Not being able to articulate what you believe in, and how you act upon that, is a potential problem if you are reacting constantly to decisions and not consciously being aware of why you are choosing to do that.

In the case of Allison, she believes in doing right (what SHE feels is right) and also believes that her worldview should be both obvious and replicated by everyone else in the class. Defend the weak, help everyone you can, and deal with the consequences as they come. Being a super-human tank of a person who can fly and is nearly impervious, this gives her plenty of latitude to come from such a background.

The other student, on scholarship and with the burden's of her family's trust upon her, doesn't see the world with that same luxury. Extrapolating from context, she likely has to wrestle with the struggles of balancing academics, expectations, and work as her primary issues and is as mortal, frail, and stretched thin as any student on scholarship. Working with those students on a daily basis, I would say almost all of the students I work with in financial aid areas would make the same choice because they know if they lose the financial aid they lose not only their education, but likely their future and the love and respect of the families which sacrifice everything to get them the opportunity.

Neither answer is incorrect, and that's the lesson here. Motivation is not black and white, good choice or evil choice, selfish or selfless. The world is complicated and until you can define how you make your choices and what you believe in it can be very difficult to understand how other people think in a similar context.

durandal4532CambiataArdolcB557DarkPrimusTrippyJingpookaOrphanePanda4YouMadican
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Also, maybe to get better at reading the likely outcome of events instead of being all-in instantly and getting super worked up.

Like she can punch people into space, she's gotta be able to pump the fucking brakes a bit more effectively.

If she keeps going like this she's going to fly across the room and deck him once he gets to a hypothetical involving physical danger. "Where are you holding that woman and the violinist you monster?"

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    CambiataEnccB557Panda4You
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Actually I'm super in favour of Alison getting dunked on, I hope this teacher wins.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    Tommy2HandsEnccB557TrippyJingPanda4YouStiltsCaptain MarcusSpeed RacerKwoaru
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    At some point in the story Allison needs to be in a lecture where she actually has her notions, knowledge, and worldview challenged whether that's going to happen in this arc through this antagonizing prof or in a less directly adversarial one. Just from the general themes of the story, it'd be super disappointing if she managed to go through university without having any class experience having a significant impact on her aside from personal tragedies related to the class.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I was willing to put up with SFP when it wasn't just openly delivering its preachy message via expository dialogue

especially dialogue this bad

this is just like... who am I supposed to be sympathizing with here?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    PreachercB557KanaDarkPrimusLord_AsmodeusStilts
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    You know what the worst part of this is? I knew professors who talked like this, so the prof's dialogue is actually spot on. This is kinda what acedemic males do when they want a power trip.

Alison's dialogue isn't good but she's always served as kinda a 'this is what we THINK this sort of character would ideally say to convey X point' voice. So at this point it'd be out of character if she didn't do that.

Cambiata
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Did I someone miss the magical nipples on one of the archime sites? Because I have no idea what comic your discussing and ...rock cocks is not the same as rock rocks, I don't know why I searched for that.

• The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    The professor has done nothing to prove his original argument that "We're all in it together is the axiom of a tyrant." All he's proven is that sometimes people need to be forced to act in their own best interests; but forcing people to act in their own best interests isn't tyrannical. Even if Allison had followed behind the professor and taken everyone's white stones by force, it would not have been a tyrannical act. Tyranny involves some element of wanton cruelty.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think this is one of those "wait until the conversation is over" dealies like the mind=controlling supervillian/Alison conversation. It clearly is building up to something and we don't have the whole picture yet.

statlerShadowen
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    A "Tyrant" in the original Greek is just an authoritarian sovereign, a distinction I guarantee you a philosophy professor knows

MaydayBethrynCreaganDuke 2.0ShadowenCaptainNemoSkeithKwoaru
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I love how about half the posts about SFP are about how badly written this philosophy professor is, and then the other half are people saying 'no no, this is what my philosophy professor sounded like'.

sig.gif
    JayKaosMaydayTommy2HandscB557CambiataKharnorCreaganIndie WinterShadowenSkeith
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Yo that's NSFW, there's nips there.
    It's the exact same outfit as Dangerously Chloe except the nipples aren't magically invisible. Do the faint outlines of nipppes really make it categorically different?
    Badly drawn titties are very important to me.

Why yes, nipples do make it categorically different, especially to people browsing at work, hence the Not Safe For Work category.

cB557Kwoaru
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I love how about half the posts about SFP are about how badly written this philosophy professor is, and then the other half are people saying 'no no, this is what my philosophy professor sounded like'.

this is because philosophers themselves are bad writers

GvzbgulmasterofmetroidPreacherCreaganDuke 2.0Crimson KingCaptainNemoKwoaru
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    f435c0e3ef7jk.png
    It's better not to picture how close she must be to him in that first panel.
    mokepon.smackjeeves.com

AnialosTommy2HandsPanda4YouCantide
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    The professor has done nothing to prove his original argument that "We're all in it together is the axiom of a tyrant." All he's proven is that sometimes people need to be forced to act in their own best interests; but forcing people to act in their own best interests isn't tyrannical. Even if Allison had followed behind the professor and taken everyone's white stones by force, it would not have been a tyrannical act. Tyranny involves some element of wanton cruelty.

One person's "wanton" cruelty is another's "necessary" evil. For example, see what the white and black stones represent. White=easy success, maybe an inheritance, or born into wealth, or so on. Taking away their white stones is taking away their advantage, which is, at least a priori, cruel.

And secondly, how do you know what someone's best interests are? Adults are expected to know their own interests, but that of other people? Forcing someone to do something may be for the best, but it might not be. The only way to be sure is to figure it out, through discussion, that is: telling each other what our interests are, how we think the world works, and our ideas for how to further those interests. Only when two people are agreed on something can there be said to be no tyranny.

Children's rights are human rights.
    cB557
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

this is because philosophers themselves are bad writers

No, it's the children who are wrong.

ronya
    tumblr_o61yk5Hm8s1tl5t55o1_1280.jpg
    I guess it hated the moon :(

That does it for chapter 4! Alice Grove will be on break for one, possibly two weeks. Thanks for reading so far.
    Alice Grove has finished the latest chapter. It has tits in it. The moon also looks like a boob if you squint.

klemmingRoyceSraphimPanda4YouStiltsCreaganDuke 2.0Shadowen
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    kboxjo4l936e.jpg

ap.jpg 170.7K
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    RoyceSraphimOghulkcB557Panda4YouLord_AsmodeusPikaPuffTrippyJingAndy JoeAnialosDuke 2.0Metzger MeisterShadowenhtmBucketmanKwoaru
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the problem with SFP is that it's just taking forever to get to its point which when you have a webcomic is a real bummer, because you can't just turn the page and move past the boring script

PreacherGvzbgulRoyceSraphimcB557KanaStiltsOrphaneShadowenSkeithNaphtaliKwoaru
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Look post all the softcore internetty jerkoff pics you want

BUT ONLY IF

Rolo gets let off the leash
    The Day by Day and doujinshi thread.

Would read.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    even if the professor is realistic, he's being a dickbag and his exercise wasn't even a particularly good or useful one (as discussed previously)

but then allison's response is actually worse

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    GvzbgulLord_AsmodeusCorp.ShephardKanaCreagan
    Panda4You wrote: »

BUT ONLY IF

Would read.

Day by Day is conservative doujinshi!?

Panda4You

BUT ONLY IF

Would read.
    What if, we make our own Day by Day doujinshi?

Panda4You
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

BUT ONLY IF

Would read.
    What if, we make our own Day by Day doujinshi?
    Double (quadruple?) the titties!

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Just ask yourself, are you a Batman or a Superman?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Just ask yourself, are you a Batman or a Superman?

I'm going with Revenant.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    A bunch of Alisons in here.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    At this point, my biggest problem with this scene in SFP is that it's been going on for four goddamn weeks

RoyceSraphimNartwakShadowen
  • statlerstatler Registered User regular
    mugged.png

qy85xdkddou7.png
    KarozAndy JoeLord_AsmodeusCambiataEvilCakeStiltsTransporterAnialosmasterofmetroidXaquinEtiowsaGoldenSeducerCantideArdolMetzger MeisterShadowenBucketmanintropKwoaru
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    2843.png
    Ancient of Lore was a staple of Druid decks everywhere but I never though the card was THAT strong. For 7 mana a 5/5 body isn't too powerful so you clearly picked it for the card draw.

But card draw is important mostly on combo decks where you are trying to gather all your combo pieces to one-shot your enemyn, but now they killed combo druid with the change to Force of Nature I very much doubt people would still auto-included it on all Druid decks.

People also sometimes put lots of resources in killing Ancient of Lore because of the fear they joining the Savage + Force rape train. With no combo people can safely ignore it and go face or develop their own board.

I'd rather have a strong 7 mana drop instead of paying 7 mana for the change to draw one. For a comparision, you could drop an Ancient of War (5/10 taunt) for the same price.

p.s. Arcane Golem would fit this comic better, but Ancient of Lore is more recognizable and fun to draw. Arcane Golem thou is truly Dumpster Tier right now.

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Tommy2HandsPanda4You
    Soon, jo will create comics based on the elder scrolls card game and we will see crossovers, the maw of the six beasts shall open and sign the song that ends the world.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    the problem with SFP is that it's just taking forever to get to its point which when you have a webcomic is a real bummer, because you can't just turn the page and move past the boring script
    Yeah I have kind of noticed this with a lot of webcomics

This isn't to say that physical comics are inherently better or something because they aren't, there's a lot of shit a webcomic can do that a physical comic cannot

But physical comics have a hard and strict page count, usually 22 pages an issue or 120-150 pages for an OGN, which you have to work around and plan for. Series like SFP could probably benefit from some sort of structure like this because without any sort of narrative constraints it begins to meander and become a slog.

Like, the classroom scene is currently at 9 pages, and will probably go for a few more.

That would mean over half of that issue is nothing but drawn out college philosophy discussion and that is a super poorly paced issue.

CYpGAPn.png
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think it would be better to compare webcomics to indie comics and comics magazines than to mainstream Diamond released stuff honestly. The hard page limit really only exists on monthlies or big two ogns.

But yeah. Plotting a webcomic is a nightmare when it comes to pacing. Especially with scenes like that. More week to week story stuff is between a rock and a hard place really. Definitely requires a leap of faith as a creator that the audience will give you the benefit of the doubt. And a leap of faith from the audience that you won't fall flat on your face. Though ultimately far down the line I think more people will have read it as a whole then will follow it week to week during its progression.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    CorporateLogoEvilCakecB557tynicCreaganRoyceSraphimPanda4You
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Battlepug contains cleavage and ass shots, a foul mouthed little girl and the horror of a giant pug
    bp04222016.jpg?format=1000w

RoyceSraphim
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I actually have the first SFP book, and I gotta say, even though the writing's gotten a lot better since the first few story lines, the book reads better than the bi-weekly updates do simply because of the format. The early artwork also looks WAY better & the whole comic is more readable.

Honestly, it feels like the whole comic is just going through a really awkward transition from print-designed media (art & writing) to digital and because of the update schedule, it's happening super slowly.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    WON77r.jpg

KILL

SIX

BILLION

DEMONS

“Old trees bend hard

For old trees most scarred.”

-Saying of the Forked Monks, 448th iteration of the Splinter Root Anhang

StiltsMoth 13Tommy2HandsIndie WinterDarmakDarkPrimusdarunia106worksintheoryEtiowsaTransporterKanaGoldenSeducerSeriouslyCentipede DamascusHeadCreepsSCREECH OF THE FARGCantideCambiataDuke 2.0KarozGvzbgulLord_AsmodeusArdoldjmitchellaAnialospookaRoyceSraphimMirroDer Waffle MousQuantum TigerBahamutZEROMetzger MeisterShadowenNeveronAbdhyiusErlecmasterofmetroidBroloCaptainNemoSkeithmageormikeHawaleeFleur de AlysSir Fabulous
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    4HHuqbl.png

cB557StiltsKanaGoldenSeducertynicSeriouslyCreaganCambiataSCREECH OF THE FARGDuke 2.0RainfallLord_AsmodeusArdoldurandal4532AnialosRMS OceanicRoyceSraphimTommy2HandsQuantum TigerklemmingBahamutZEROMetzger MeisterPanda4YouShadowenNeveronAndy JoemasterofmetroidTrippyJingCaptainNemoAbsurdPropositionChallmageormikeBucketmanintrop
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    never thought I could feel sorry for mottom

wY6K6Jb.gif
    RoyceSraphimTommy2HandsSkeith
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    never thought I could feel sorry for mottom

She's like a kindly grandmother that also happens to be an insane god ruling over 1/7th of all creation.

JtgVX0H.png
    GoldenSeducerDuke 2.0AnialosBahamutZEROGoatmonSkeith
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    NMCGwV3.jpg
    poppy-opossum.com

Sooo, who here had a problem with Poppy opening her mouth wide? Cause I think Kit's dad here might beat her in the nightmare-inducing department.

Owenashi on
    CorporateLogocB557KarozLord_AsmodeusArdoldurandal4532AnialospookaRoyceSraphimMirroMetzger MeisterPanda4YoumasterofmetroidGoldenSeducerBucketman
This discussion has been closed.