Options

[Orcs must die Unchained!] Free to play open beta has begun! Murder all the orcs!

TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
edited March 2016 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFYfsYzCfdg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/427270/

So this game finally came out to open beta today! Some of you may have tried in back in the closed beta but they have changed a bunch of stuff.

They added a 5 player PvE orc slaughtering survival mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0MrXdzJGVo

There is still the old 5v5 hybrid tower defense minion push mode that has been changed up a bunch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsxlwNCTCI

There are a bunch of heroes besides the warmage and sorceress, with a focus on offense and defense for each. Its free to play! Play now and get a free skin for smolder!

I'll add stuff about each hero and more when I get home, but for now get killing orcs.

TheGerbil on

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I've been in the closed beta. It is fun. Survival mode is classic OMD killing action.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This game seems to have absolutely no following and I'm kinda shocked it's made it this far.

Who is playing this? The game isn't bad, but you go to OMD's YouTube channel and their videos have almost no views. The whole thing has grim shades of what happened to SMNC, including adding a co-op PvE mode.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    My understanding is they haven't been trying to advertise the game at all and were actually trying to work on things within the closed beta. Now that they have moved to open beta I am thinking it will start to build up hype

• Options
    When people asked them about it, it was pretty much this. They realized they needed some hard work on the game so they kept quiet for a few years, then said when open beta began that's when they were gonna push hard for gaining a community. So I guess we'll see.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I'm a huge fan of OMD 1 and 2 and just heard about this game today. I'm not sure about the direction they're taking with this one.

• Options
    @TheGerbil and I played 7 or 8 matches yesterday in survival mode, it starts out pretty slow with only 5 waves, but we did play 2 maps where the waves went to 10 and it felt like good old OMD. I was also able to make a ballista trap card and an arcane trap card. I could have made a few others but I decided to save my skulls up for a bigger more badass trap now.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I played a bit of the game at PAX a few years ago and had fun with it, but it was a huge departure from what I enjoyed from the previous. I hadn't heard about the Survival mode so maybe i'll give it a shot.

I have been in closed beta since then too, but opted to wait a bit before playing it.

• Options
    The siege mode is a big departure from the previous series, whereas survival mode is very familiar to people who have played the previous orcs must die games.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I didn't even know that ORCS MUST DIE 3 was a thing. Best news I've heard all day.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I know there's a bunch of heroes that were in earlier builds but aren't back yet. I think they were getting reworked?

The minotaur dude (Maze?) was pretty sweet.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Looks like you are limited to one specific hero per group? Kind of lame considering how few total are going to be available.

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I know there's a bunch of heroes that were in earlier builds but aren't back yet. I think they were getting reworked?

The minotaur dude (Maze?) was pretty sweet.

Yeah, they completely reworked the way the heroes worked and are still going through them. I think the ones not yet released inclue Temper (the minotaur), Bloodspike (the male orc), Ball and Chain (large female orc), Kobold King, Winston (dark paladin dude), annnnd the bear whose name I cannot remember.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Oh man I loved Orcs Must Die. Never played the sequel, but I'll deffo check this out.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I played this some back in closed alpha

is the free to play grind still gross?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I just got an email from the devs saying that they admit that the versus game mode is pretty much a failure and they're removing it since, you know, the user base has just been asking for single player since well before the game launched.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I just got an email from the devs saying that they admit that the versus game mode is pretty much a failure and they're removing it since, you know, the user base has just been asking for single player since well before the game launched.

Reminds me so much of Dungeon Defenders 2, another third person character based tower defense game that tried to chase the MOBA, dismally failed, and dropped it to focus on its core strength.

DD2 realized it a lot faster , tho. Glad to hear OMD is coming to its senses; I hope they can salvage it. OMD is fun.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got that email too. I never had tried, and have no desire to play the versus mode, so I'm glad that they're going back to focusing on the pve part.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I played a little of the VS mode several months ago and I thought it was alright gameplay-wise

the card system meaning your opponent could straight-up be better equipped than if they'd played longer was what killed my interest at the time

glad to hear they're focusing on tower defense, but I'm worried it might be too late?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Wise from your gwabe.

Decided to check in on OMDU a week ago, and found to my delight that the moba aspect has been scrapped in its entirety. There are a few modes of play: survival (the standard OMD experience), endless (what you'd expect), and Sabotage.

Sabotage is the new PVP mode, where you and a team of players engage in indirect conflict with another team running the same map, using special consumables and abilities to spawn nasty things for them to have to deal with. Seems neat in concept, but I haven't played it yet.

There are also a Chaos mode (which requires expendable keys to play in) and a weekly challenge run where your loadout is predetermined and you have to make do.

The expanded roster from the moba remains, though with adjusted abilities for a co-op experience. My personal favorite is a miner that focuses on increasing gold drops, though the warmage is a great standby. Also left over from the moba days is the concept of leveling up within a map - every few levels you'll get a talent pick, similar to Heroes of the Storm. These are pretty significant upgrades - the miner I mentioned can be specced into team support or an anti-large character.

Cool traps are back. It remains a lot of fun to hear orcs scream and whine as they're tossed every which way (and off a cliff). There are several slots per trap that can have part modifiers placed in them.

Complaints: this game is free to play, and thus there is grind. Your traps are upgraded via loot boxes, which come at a decent clip early on (you get one for clearing a map with a new character, one for 3 starring it, and another for 5 starring), but slows down quick. (There are also daily quests you can complete a la HotS that give you chests, as well as daily 'deals' where you can spend skulls you earn on a selection of traps to help level them up.)

Progression is also determined via account level, which is something I didn't realize until later. Your hero's (and I think also trap's) damage is boosted the higher your account level. I ran into a wall midway through the second tier, as the red orcs became just too hard to deal with in early waves, overrunning all my defenses. I've been running older maps with new chars and trying to 5-star stuff while grinding, and while it's fun and relatively quick (at least in tier 2), it was still a disappointing and confusing problem to run into.

So basically, if you want more classic Orcs Must Die gameplay, OMDU will scratch that itch. Just be aware there will be a grind thanks to it being F2P.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow