As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Nintendo is your Nintendo

1789101113»

• Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Starting in early March, Gold Points can be used for digital purchases on Nintendo Switch!

Whenever you get a new game, you earn Gold Points worth up to 5% of what you paid. Spend those points on your next digital purchase of any Nintendo Switch game to get it for less...or even for free!

How do I use Gold Points?

You can spend your Gold Points on Nintendo eShop or the Nintendo website when you purchase games or other contents for Nintendo Switch.

1 Gold Point = 1 cent (EUR)

How do I earn Gold Points?

Gold Points are earned with every new game you purchase. How many you get depends on whether you purchased a game digitally, or have it on a game card.

You can earn Gold Points worth the following percentage of the price on Nintendo eShop:

Downloads: 5%
    • Nintendo Switch games and DLC on Nintendo eShop: 5% of the total paid amount
    • Nintendo 3DS games and Wii U games on Nintendo eShop: 5% of the total paid amount
    • Download codes: 5% of the undiscounted Nintendo eShop price of the same content

Game Cards: 1%
    • Nintendo Switch game: 1% of the undiscounted Nintendo eShop price of that game
    For example...

If you pay €50 for a game on Nintendo eShop, you’ll receive 250 Gold Points.
    Next time, you’ll be able to use those points and save €2.50.

Gold Points are valid for 12 months from when they are earned, and always expire at the end of a month.

Considering you used to get roughly 1 coin for each Euro spent (rounded to 10s, usually up) ...
    That's some hyperinflation.

Ark Evensong on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Just a thought, but what if you got bonus gold coins from having a Online sub?

One would hope the conversion rate was better somehow, because isn't Nintendo Online supposed to be fairly cheap?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    You know what'd be cool, if we could put gold coins towards paying for our monthly Nintendo Online subscription.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Starting in early March, Gold Points can be used for digital purchases on Nintendo Switch!

Whenever you get a new game, you earn Gold Points worth up to 5% of what you paid. Spend those points on your next digital purchase of any Nintendo Switch game to get it for less...or even for free!

How do I use Gold Points?

You can spend your Gold Points on Nintendo eShop or the Nintendo website when you purchase games or other contents for Nintendo Switch.

1 Gold Point = 1 cent (EUR)

How do I earn Gold Points?

Gold Points are earned with every new game you purchase. How many you get depends on whether you purchased a game digitally, or have it on a game card.

You can earn Gold Points worth the following percentage of the price on Nintendo eShop:

Downloads: 5%
    • Nintendo Switch games and DLC on Nintendo eShop: 5% of the total paid amount
    • Nintendo 3DS games and Wii U games on Nintendo eShop: 5% of the total paid amount
    • Download codes: 5% of the undiscounted Nintendo eShop price of the same content

Game Cards: 1%
    • Nintendo Switch game: 1% of the undiscounted Nintendo eShop price of that game
    For example...

If you pay €50 for a game on Nintendo eShop, you’ll receive 250 Gold Points.
    Next time, you’ll be able to use those points and save €2.50.

Gold Points are valid for 12 months from when they are earned, and always expire at the end of a month.

Considering you used to get roughly 1 coin for each Euro spent (rounded to 10s, usually up) ...
    That's some hyperinflation.

It puts it in the same position as the Digital Deluxe Promotion from the Wii U launch.

Get a certain percentage back on any digital purchase.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Nintendo converts all gold coins into nintencoin cryptocurrency :rotate:
    Your switches have been miners this whole time.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Nintendo converts all gold coins into nintencoin cryptocurrency :rotate:
    Your switches have been miners this whole time.

Hah! Nintendough I think is a better coin name. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So if I'm understanding this correctly:
    • Buying a game digitally earns you 5% in coins
    • Buying a game physically earns you 1% in coins
    • Coins are worth one cent each

Following that logic, if I bought Mario Oddysey for $60:
    • Digital purchase: 300 gold coins (5% of 6000 pennies) = $3.00 discount
    • Physical purchase: 60 gold coins (1% of 6000 pennies) = $.60 discount

That's correct, right?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited February 2018
    That's how I'm reading it, yes.

Note that for current My Nintendo Rewards for 3DS/WiiU software the conversion rate is roughly 10 cents per Gold Coin. Much more limited selection, though. Gold coin 'income' will soon be about 5 times what it was, so not sure what'll happen to those reward prices, or if they even continue to exist at all.

Ark Evensong on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well hopefully we get to keep our gold coins now as it's annoying to lose them as I paid for them

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well hopefully we get to keep our gold coins now as it's annoying to lose them as I paid for them

Coin expiration dates don't seem to have changed. Which reminds me, I got 30 expiring this month. :(

Next month, I'll pump my remaining coins into the eShop. At least they're finally worth something.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    If nothing else this will be a great way to pick up extra Zen Pinball table packs.

Too bad the Switch version of ZP3 doesn't let you carry over your previous purchases like I'm told other systems' do.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I mean, if you're going to buy eShop games anyway, being able to get a small discount every now and then is pretty nice.

Edit: I've seen people on Reddit and elsewhere absolutely livid that this is all they get. I don't understand their anger, since Mr Nintendo is basically just a rewards program, anyway. It doesn't seem that different from any other rewards program. Sure, I miss the physical rewards--those were the best--but I'll take discounts over nothing.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I'll have to redeem the coins for all my physical cart purchases once this goes live. Cool.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    MNC Dover wrote: »

That's correct, right?

You only get 50 gold coins for a $50 digital purchase... so 1% for digital...

Not sure what it is for physical as I've not redeemed any of those yet.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2018
    Incindium wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

That's correct, right?
    You only get 50 gold coins for a $50 digital purchase... so 1% for digital...

Not sure what it is for physical as I've not redeemed any of those yet.

That's the current/old system, which (in my part of Europe, at least) is changing in early March.

https://my.nintendo.com/news/699e4d32060f96b4

Ark Evensong on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I haven't even claimed my physical games' gold coins, because the moment I do, I'll have to spend them or they'll be wasted.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    How do physical games get registered? I didn't see any codes in my cases.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    How do physical games get registered? I didn't see any codes in my cases.

Press + or - over the games icon to access the software options menu. Select the "My Nintendo rewards" panel. Click the button that says "earn points".

It only works for physical games. Digital games are automatically registered.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    I had no idea that was there. Interesting.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited February 2018
    I had no idea that was there. Interesting.

It does some other stuff too. I think it lets you update the game, delete data, and view the games manual maybe? It's been a while since I've used it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited March 2018
    As of today you can redeem gold coins for a discount on "select" (not sure what that means) Nintendo Switch games via the eshop in the US. 1 gold coin = 1 cent. 5% of the amount you pay for digital purchases will be rewarded in gold coins, 1% of physical purchases. Gold Points can be used toward eligible digital game and DLC purchases for the Nintendo Switch system, excluding passes, automatic renewals, in-game items, and virtual currency. Physical games must be registered within 1 year of their release date to recieve points in America, 2 years in Europe.

https://my.nintendo.com/about_gold_point

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    As of today you can redeem gold coins for a discount on "select" (not sure what that means) Nintendo Switch games via the eshop in the US. 1 gold coin = 1 cent. 5% of the amount you pay for digital purchases will be rewarded in gold coins, 1% of physical purchases.

That's what I was hoping someone knew. What "select" means. Because every time they've said that in the past, it translated to "garbage" or "old." I'm crossing my fingers that this just means something like "only first party" or "only participating (which includes all first party)" to cover their bases if some 3rd party gets pissy about them giving discounts on their games or something.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited March 2018
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    As of today you can redeem gold coins for a discount on "select" (not sure what that means) Nintendo Switch games via the eshop in the US. 1 gold coin = 1 cent. 5% of the amount you pay for digital purchases will be rewarded in gold coins, 1% of physical purchases.

That's what I was hoping someone knew. What "select" means. Because every time they've said that in the past, it translated to "garbage" or "old." I'm crossing my fingers that this just means something like "only first party" or "only participating (which includes all first party)" to cover their bases if some 3rd party gets pissy about them giving discounts on their games or something.

So I'm looking on the Switch eshop right now, it appears that pretty much every game there has an option to redeem gold coins during checkout. It will also tell you how many gold coins you will earn for purchasing a game on it's product page and there's a page in account settings that keeps track of your unspent gold coins, not sure if that was there before.

Seems pretty cool actually. For example I could "buy" Subsurface Circular right now using nothing but gold coins and still have half of them left over.

edit: and by "every game there" I mean every game there, even old ass 3rd party shovelware games that cost 3 dollars. Can confirm that it also works for DLC

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    edited March 2018
    By starting today did they just lock everyone out from registering release day titles for gold?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2018
    By starting today did they just lock everyone out from registering release day titles for gold?

Yup, Zelda has expired. I'm sure the rest of the launch games have as well.

So that's dumb, and I'm still pissed that the JP My Nintendo gets physical rewards and we dont, but this IS a step in the right direction. They just need to keep walking.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I was able to get Subsurface Circular today for free thanks to this, so I consider this a wild success.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited March 2018
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    I was able to get Subsurface Circular today for free thanks to this, so I consider this a wild success.

I really can't decide if I want to get this or RE Revelations 2 with my points. I don't know anything about Subsurface Circular other than that people say it's good, however I'm pretty sure I'll like Revelations 2 seeing as I played the first on the 3DS and loved it. Hmmmm, maybe I should ask the Switch thread.

edit: the third option would be putting them towards Xenoblade 2, which I've been holding off on until I can complete my extensive backlog.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Oh shit one year from physical release? I swear it was originally supposed to be longer. I need to go redeem all the gold coins for my switch carts. I've not redeemed any of them.

steam_sig.png
  • SpotlightKeilSpotlightKeil Registered User regular
    This Ecco the Dolphin sure has got himself in a pickle.

I'm not emotionally intelligent enough to try and figure out what this game wants me to do.