As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Thread: My Nintendo Is Up. You May Now Panic

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I see the NES and SNES as equals comfort wise

They're both stiff, flat plastic, and too small

The DualShock was the first controller I'd call comfortable but, aside from the Dreamcast, everyone's pretty much gotten it right since then on the comfort front

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I hate the WiiU gamepad most

heavy, massive, terrible battery, terrible range, and if you break it, have fun rebuying it!

It's not heavy.

I get your other criticisms but the Wii U pad is about the same weight as an XB1 controller with batteries. (the DS4 is significantly lighter than either)

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

The DualShock was the first controller I'd call comfortable but, aside from the Dreamcast, everyone's pretty much gotten it right since then on the comfort front

One of them has sharp corners!

They are not at all physically equal!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I would actually say the Wii Remote is the worst Nintendo controller

Wii Remote + Nunchuk to play more traditional games like Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess straight-up sucked

In terms of like

Ability to do what I want in a game with the controls

The only thing worse has been connect

But I'd still put it higher than ten nes pad because it doesn't stab me

Only because they never got to Kinect's Phase Three.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Sharp corners? Are your hands made out of tissue paper?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Sharp corners? Are your hands made out of tissue paper?

The NES pad has corners that come to points, as a rectangle

That is bad ergonomic design

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

One of them has sharp corners!

They are not at all physically equal!

The corners have never been an issue for me

• Options
    I really love the NES controller and am 100% willing to admit it's entirely out of nostalgia.

The SNES controller is the best 2D controller ever made.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It was made in 1983. I'm willing to give it some slack in not making a controller more like a xbox.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I love the Wii Remote + Nunchuck for letting me spread my arms

It is the most comfortable controller

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    It was made in 1983. I'm willing to give it some slack in not making a controller more like a xbox.

I mean I'm not saying they knew better but that doesn't make it not bad

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I seriously never noticed the corners being a problem and it was my first console. I played that thing a ton.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The gamecube was a fantastic controller because you could tell which button to press from onscreen prompts just by feel, you didn't need to memorize the button labels.

The wii remote and nunchuck was also really good because it's way more comfortable to not have to keep your hands together all the time.

And the Wii U Pro is my favorite traditional controller.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I hate the WiiU gamepad most

heavy, massive, terrible battery, terrible range, and if you break it, have fun rebuying it!

It's not heavy.

I get your other criticisms but the Wii U pad is about the same weight as an XB1 controller with batteries. (the DS4 is significantly lighter than either)

If anything it's unsettlingly light given its size.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    the nes controller may actually be the worst controller ever made

I can't use it

Like call it Hand size I guess but it has actually given me bruises

It is a bad controller

I mean I was six when it came out so hand size wasn't a big deal.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    the gamecube controller is the best controller of all time

PS4 controller is a close runner up but i had some trouble with the sticks after playing Doom for an hour (sweaty hands, ya know)

• Options
    GUYS WHAT IF IT COMES WITH THE STARTROPICS CODE SHEET

sig.gif
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Gamexplain mused that this should have included Earthbound Beginnings and yeah that would have been really cool of them

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    GUYS WHAT IF IT COMES WITH THE STARTROPICS CODE SHEET

They "emulated" that experience on Wii VC

Wouldn't be surprised to see them do the same here

But yeah an actual paper would be neat

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Gamexplain mused that this should have included Earthbound Beginnings and yeah that would have been really cool of them

did they dedicate a 15-minute video to it? huehuehueh

• Options
    I love how stupidly exhaustive GameXplain is in all of their Nintendo coverage

They are anal to the extreme, I feel like they're aiming their stuff directly at me

• Options

They are anal to the extreme, I feel like they're aiming their stuff directly at me

Takes notes: "Vow loves anal to the extreme."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
  • Options

Don't kinkshame joel

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I never even held a NES controller until after the Wii came out. I had used every other Nintendo controller up to that point. My only reaction to the NES controller was "What the fuck is this shit?"

The SNES controller was way better. I should find a good USB one to use for Steam games that don't require joysticks.

• Options

Don't kinkshame joel

Shame?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I seriously never noticed the corners being a problem and it was my first console. I played that thing a ton.

Have you used it as an adult?

I didn't have problems with it when I was a kid but it was the only console I'd ever used

Since then it's become really clear it's one of the worse controllers around

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    the nes controller may actually be the worst controller ever made

uh

jaguar

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The N64 controller is the worst mainline controller made by a major hardware manufacturer and it's not even close

There's no aspect of it that isn't shit

Its unwieldy shape that forces you to hold it in a non-symmetrical fashion

Its weak-ass analog stick, good luck finding one that wasn't loose and limp five years from release, let alone now

The face button layout

The useless D-pad that is, realistically, where the analog stick should be but it's like they were too scared to get rid of the D-pad or something even though basically no games used it

God fuck that stupid monstrosity

that is literally why it's there

they were afraid 3D games were going to be a flop and people wouldn't want to use the joystick so they built the controller with the idea in mind that they could say "haha yeah just kiddin' ignore that stupid middle prong and just pretend this thing is a SNES controller with 6 face buttons"

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

that seems

weird

you'd think it'd be able to hop onto a version of the wii shop that only surfaces the nes games

ah well

• Options
    the NES controller is not comfy to hold but i fuckin love how it looks

• Options

that seems

weird

you'd think it'd be able to hop onto a version of the wii shop that only surfaces the nes games

ah well

Neat idea that is one or two baffling design decisions away from perfect seems to be Nintendo's MO of late. Hard to think of something they've put out recently that isn't "pretty great, but"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Pretty great butt

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Pretty great butt

You rang?

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Pretty, Great Butt

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

that seems

weird

ah well

I dont think they want to complicate things. This is plug and play with a bunch of good games and Simons quest bam done.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Pretty great butt

You rang?

I don't think so. Might want to see an ENT, could be tinnitus.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

that seems

weird

ah well

Not if it's gonna cost 60 bucks.

sig.gif
  • Options

that seems

weird

ah well

They are probably making on the cheap like those Sega Genesis consoles. Which also had really messed up sound. So I'd probably wait and see what the emulation quality is like before making a purchase.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    $60 seems like a lot but that's $2 a game which is a lot more than 30 VC games so I guess it's a good deal

This discussion has been closed.