As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Agents of [The Division] - Directive 51 remains in effect

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I guess Global Events are aimed at top-level players, right?

Anyway, I'm almost at 15 now. Starting to run into Rikers, who just seem to melt me down. Yikes.

That Times Square mission was brutal - thank goodness I had a rando who managed to some clutch play when the rest of the team went down. He got me up, then got KO'd, but I was able to get enough breathing room to revive him and we recovered.

Then the very last enemy in the mission got staggered by gunfire through a locked door and became trapped. It looked like we were gonna have to start all over.

But it turns out that the AOE of an incendiary grenade can go through a door. Thank God.

Global event currency is used to buy boxes of high level gear. I have no idea if you participate in the Michael Bay mode this week below max level.

Rikers are a substantial step up from cleaners and rioters. Unlike rioters, their base level grunt has an automatic weapon. Unlike Cleaners, their heavy is a machine gunner. They don't have techs like the Cleaners, but their shock troop type uses a shotgun instead of just melee weapons and can wreck people. A force of Riker sharpshooters, grenadiers, and shotgunners can be a rough combo.
    Mortious wrote: »
    nice, two exotics in one event cache.

Straight to the stash with you.

edit: 3 exotics over 2 caches.

I've gotten two classified pieces and another MC Skull gloves from the 5 or so caches I opened last night. Given how low the odds are of getting all 6 pieces of a classified set plus leaning more towards Strikers since I'm using an assault rifle and shotgun, I'm not terribly gungho about them but the ability to reroll two stats could be nice. Course the one for the set I'm using is a holster so not much to reroll.

I did end up with one of the masks last night when I managed to not get hit with explosions in one Lexington run though.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I grinded a ton of Lexington last night and opened 10 caches and have gotten 7 pieces of classified gear. Three of those were Predator's masks... This is starting to feel like Destiny 2 token RNG grind all over. Sigh.

Oh and the kicker was that all three rolled Electronics..

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    I grinded a ton of Lexington last night and opened 10 caches and have gotten 7 pieces of classified gear. Three of those were Predator's masks... This is starting to feel like Destiny 2 token RNG grind all over. Sigh.

I think I'm more interested in the possibility of getting a Ninjabike backpack and being able to combine two non-classified sets instead of trying to hope I get all 6 pieces of a classified set. That said, people have reported getting classified stuff outside of the global event doing WSP stuff so it may not be quite as constrained as a D2 faction rally.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Is there a way to bring the gear score up on a weapon/piece of armor?

Also, what do people do with all the mods they accumulate?

It's probably the part of the game that is frustrating me the most, it is so difficult to at a glance tell whether I should just dismantle a mod. I eventually just moved them all to my stash since the only I am storing is the few exotics and a couple extra sets.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    El Mucho wrote: »

The optimization station does this. It's not cheap, but it will eventually let you max out the stats on a piece of gear.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Also, what do people do with all the mods they accumulate?

It's probably the part of the game that is frustrating me the most, it is so difficult to at a glance tell whether I should just dismantle a mod. I eventually just moved them all to my stash since the only I am storing is the few exotics and a couple extra sets.

You can use the new optimization station to do this. It will slowly, but surely, max out an item. However, it costs 50 Division Tech per attempt, which can get really really costly if you need to optimize two weapons and 6 pieces of armor. On the subreddit, people were saying it will take about 2-4k DTech for a set.

I think I'm more interested in the possibility of getting a Ninjabike backpack and being able to combine two non-classified sets instead of trying to hope I get all 6 pieces of a classified set. That said, people have reported getting classified stuff outside of the global event doing WSP stuff so it may not be quite as constrained as a D2 faction rally.

Yeah, it's available, but the drop rate is really low. I just mean more about RNG screwing me, specifically, over. It's kind of a thing in most RNG games I've played.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Yikes, that's a lot of division tech.

How does gear score affect things in the game? Maybe I've just missed it, but I don't see gear score recommendations on activities in the vein of Destiny.

EDIT: I guess that's one thing I could be doing with the 100 mods I have; break them down in hopes of getting division tech.

El Mucho on
  • Options

Yeah, it's available, but the drop rate is really low. I just mean more about RNG screwing me, specifically, over. It's kind of a thing in most RNG games I've played. [/quote]

RNG screws over many. Being limited in how many stats you can reroll on an item is one of my least favorite parts about the game really given the odds being so against you. Most armor pieces at least have a limited number of things that you really want to roll though that's partially due to crit damage being in a pretty bad state for PvE right now.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Gear score affects how high a world tier you can play in, I can't remember where the bands are, but I think tier 5 starts at around 235+. Higher tier means more xp, better drops etc. Similar effects for DZ, you'll be instanced with players in the same tier of gear. As of 1.8 though, world tier 5 has a huuge range, it used to cap out at 256, but now it's in the 280s.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Gear score affects how high a world tier you can play in, I can't remember where the bands are, but I think tier 5 starts at around 235+. Higher tier means more xp, better drops etc. Similar effects for DZ, you'll be instanced with players in the same tier of gear. As of 1.8 though, world tier 5 has a huuge range, it used to cap out at 256, but now it's in the 280s.

Right, I did know about that. But it doesn't affect my damage output or damage I take in a challenging or legendary mission?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Right, I did know about that. But it doesn't affect my damage output or damage I take in a challenging or legendary mission?

Oh, the enemy HP and Damage scale up as well yeah. Aside from grenades, your damage won't scale beyond what your gear is giving you natively. (Grenades got buffed to do bonus damage in higher tiers because otherwise they were hilariously worthless against the HP and armour pools of higher tier mobs)

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Yikes, that's a lot of division tech.

How does gear score affect things in the game? Maybe I've just missed it, but I don't see gear score recommendations on activities in the vein of Destiny.

EDIT: I guess that's one thing I could be doing with the 100 mods I have; break them down in hopes of getting division tech.

Generally, you should break down everything you don't want now with 1.8, rather than selling. Everything you break down has a DivTech chance. I've gotten almost 100 DivTech just from desconstructing junk in the past few days.
    RNG screws over many. Being limited in how many stats you can reroll on an item is one of my least favorite parts about the game really given the odds being so against you. Most armor pieces at least have a limited number of things that you really want to roll though that's partially due to crit damage being in a pretty bad state for PvE right now.

I'm really glad they made the Armor roll less vital though now. It takes a lot of the RNG out of rolling armor pieces. Now you really just need your main stat and major attribute, and a nice-to-have minor, so it's not as awful now as having 4 layers of RNG. And with 2 rerolls per classified item, any piece should be at the very least made decent regardless of initial roll. That being said, I'm not fond of the abysmal drop rate outside of this GE though. If all the drop numbers in here are correct (I guess from data mined info), the only real effective way to get classy gear is farming the DZ with a group to quickly pound through named bosses in a circuit.

Also: it looks like they are nerfing the WT1 Resistance caches, so that option is out now too.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    I'm really glad they made the Armor roll less vital though now. It takes a lot of the RNG out of rolling armor pieces. Now you really just need your main stat and major attribute, and a nice-to-have minor, so it's not as awful now as having 4 layers of RNG. And with 2 rerolls per classified item, any piece should be at the very least made decent regardless of initial roll. That being said, I'm not fond of the abysmal drop rate outside of this GE though. If all the drop numbers in here are correct (I guess from data mined info), the only real effective way to get classy gear is farming the DZ with a group to quickly pound through named bosses in a circuit.

Also: it looks like they are nerfing the WT1 Resistance caches, so that option is out now too.

In that list of drops is resistance the new wave based encounters?

• Options

Ah that was never going to last tbh. I was astonished that it wasnt't fixed already.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    edited December 2017

That depends how effective you consider dealing with DZ crap. Even if you don't have to deal with rogues, you still have to deal with other players going for the same bosses.

A lot of the non-DZ activities in that list can be knocked out pretty quickly. Taking out the open world static bosses can be done pretty quickly solo. Knocking out WSP side missions is also really quickly for some mission types and one of those happens to also be to kill 3 named bosses it generates which do drop good loot. One or two of those missions are where I got my exotic chest armor and gloves. I got the impression that those missions would be very rewarding and that doc confirms it.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I guess Global Events are aimed at top-level players, right?

Anyway, I'm almost at 15 now. Starting to run into Rikers, who just seem to melt me down. Yikes.

That Times Square mission was brutal - thank goodness I had a rando who managed to some clutch play when the rest of the team went down. He got me up, then got KO'd, but I was able to get enough breathing room to revive him and we recovered.

Then the very last enemy in the mission got staggered by gunfire through a locked door and became trapped. It looked like we were gonna have to start all over.

But it turns out that the AOE of an incendiary grenade can go through a door. Thank God.

Global event currency is used to buy boxes of high level gear. I have no idea if you participate in the Michael Bay mode this week below max level.

Rikers are a substantial step up from cleaners and rioters. Unlike rioters, their base level grunt has an automatic weapon. Unlike Cleaners, their heavy is a machine gunner. They don't have techs like the Cleaners, but their shock troop type uses a shotgun instead of just melee weapons and can wreck people. A force of Riker sharpshooters, grenadiers, and shotgunners can be a rough combo.
    Mortious wrote: »
    nice, two exotics in one event cache.

Straight to the stash with you.

edit: 3 exotics over 2 caches.

I've gotten two classified pieces and another MC Skull gloves from the 5 or so caches I opened last night. Given how low the odds are of getting all 6 pieces of a classified set plus leaning more towards Strikers since I'm using an assault rifle and shotgun, I'm not terribly gungho about them but the ability to reroll two stats could be nice. Course the one for the set I'm using is a holster so not much to reroll.

I did end up with one of the masks last night when I managed to not get hit with explosions in one Lexington run though.

I destryed several classified gear pieces before I realised what the little folder icon meant.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I have 6 pieces of Nomad gear with 3 of them being classified. However, the 5th and 6th talents aren't activated. I'm not sure I'm fully understanding the mixing classified and unclassified sets.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have 6 pieces of Nomad gear with 3 of them being classified. However, the 5th and 6th talents aren't activated. I'm not sure I'm fully understanding the mixing classified and unclassified sets.

To get the 5th and 6th set bonuses, you need to have items 5 and 6 also be classified. No mixing and matching classified and non-classified to get the classified set bonuses.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Erlkönig wrote: »

To get the 5th and 6th set bonuses, you need to have items 5 and 6 also be classified. No mixing and matching classified and non-classified to get the classified set bonuses.

Oh okay, I was told earlier in the thread that you could mix and match so I was confused when I had the 6 pieces, with 3 being classified, and it wasn't working. I must have just misunderstood.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Oh okay, I was told earlier in the thread that you could mix and match so I was confused when I had the 6 pieces, with 3 being classified, and it wasn't working. I must have just misunderstood.

You can mix and match in the sense that if you have less than 4 classified pieces of a set, a non-classified piece can activate the 4th bonus or you can do a 2/2 split or a 1/3 going the other way. A full 6 piece classified set is going to be a bit of a long term goal given RNG but being able to reroll two attributes is still a nice bonus.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Okay, yeah I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    The exotic assault rifle Urban MDR is a murder machine with some accuracy and stability mods. I re-rolled the sustained perk to destructive. So it's brutal, destructive and then another perk that isn't memorable. I've got stability and accuracy fairly buffed and as much additional head shot damage as I can manage with the mods I have.

Despite the semi automatic fire it downs guys very quickly currently pairing it with the Hungry Hog LMG that has a bunch of healing perks on it. Good times.

• Options
    The exotic assault rifle Urban MDR is a murder machine with some accuracy and stability mods. I re-rolled the sustained perk to destructive. So it's brutal, destructive and then another perk that isn't memorable. I've got stability and accuracy fairly buffed and as much additional head shot damage as I can manage with the mods I have.

Despite the semi automatic fire it downs guys very quickly currently pairing it with the Hungry Hog LMG that has a bunch of healing perks on it. Good times.

I've been chasing that MDR since it got patched into the game. In the process, I've gotten something like 3 Tenebraes, 4 Caduceus, and about 2 or 3 complete sets of Hildr/Eir.

Oh, and with this 1.8 patch, I'm thinking I'm also wanting a Medved...which I'm really hoping can be gotten through the event crates...cuz I really don't think I'm going to be running through any incursions to completion anytime soon.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I think I've been pretty lucky with exotic drops since I started playing again (3 days ago). I've found Hungry Hog, Urban MDR, exotic tommy gun, some gloves and 2 of Larae Barrett's chest piece.

It's sort of a bummer that the exotic armor pieces only seem to have a single perk. Currently the pieces I've found don't synergize very well with my gear set up I have at the moment.

My event crates last night yielded my 4th classified nomad piece and 4th DNC. I feel so close to a full set but I'm probably not.

Speaking of incursions, is it worth while to drop down to WT1 and play incursions there to learn the mechanics? I'd like to at least experience them even if a completion is off the table.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    Unfortunately almost all of my classy pieces have been Banshee, which I will probably never use, as I don't go into the DZ, nor would it do anything for the PvE I would be doing there.

I did just get a Big Alejandro, and even without a classy set, I think I'm going to try out a Lone Star layout. That gun just looks brutal with the 1k RPM.

Plus DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! WAGGGH!

• Options
    Unfortunately almost all of my classy pieces have been Banshee, which I will probably never use, as I don't go into the DZ, nor would it do anything for the PvE I would be doing there.

I did just get a Big Alejandro, and even without a classy set, I think I'm going to try out a Lone Star layout. That gun just looks brutal with the 1k RPM.

Oh man...old Banshee's set was the only way I would go into the DZ (you don't drop DZ credits or lose DZ XP when you get killed by a rogue player). This new Banshee set, though? Yeah...eff that, it's just more deconstructed fabric and DivTech.

• Options
    I'm currently running a 4 piece lone star. The instant reload is pretty great.

• Options

I think my favorite part of Big Alejandro being added is that suddenly all those repeated combat barks of "They got Alex!" take on a new meaning.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I'm currently running a 4 piece lone star. The instant reload is pretty great.

For soloing all non-Resistance stuff: 2xLone Star, 2xSentry, 2xReclaimer (this is the "I burn through a lot of ammo" build)
    Resistance and while grouping: 4xNomad, 2xAlphaBridge (EDIT-whoops, forgot the other set I had on)

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    I'm still sort of in the figuring everything out stage so I haven't really set up load outs for specific content. But that's probably something I need to start thinking about.

I think I may just throw on the 4 piece Nomad set I have and see how it plays. I've also been considering the DNC set and playing around with the ballistic shield and the exotic tommy gun I found.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Quickly climbed through World Tier 3 and into 4 last night. Progress feels pretty good.

I feel like I am being rewarded with field proficiency crates at a steady clip as I head towards WT5.

I still haven't actually done Survival yet or these global event strike things.

Edit: baddies exploding on death makes no logical sense but it's hilarious btw.

desc on
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    Quickly climbed through World Tier 3 and into 4 last night. Progress feels pretty good.

I feel like I am being rewarded with field proficiency crates at a steady clip as I head towards WT5.

I still haven't actually done Survival yet or these global event strike things.

Edit: baddies exploding on death makes no logical sense but it's hilarious btw.

Any time you kill a world boss or mission boss (may require hard or challenging), you'll get to pick up some credits for global event awards.

Survival is fun but may be a little inactive while the event is going on.
    I'm still sort of in the figuring everything out stage so I haven't really set up load outs for specific content. But that's probably something I need to start thinking about.

I think I may just throw on the 4 piece Nomad set I have and see how it plays. I've also been considering the DNC set and playing around with the ballistic shield and the exotic tommy gun I found.

Some of it is going to depend on what weapons you like. If you're not into marksman rifles, the sets which utilize them aren't going to be of great use. Nomad is a solid set for soloing and tanking damage given that it's weapon and skill agnostic.

I've seen people use the D3fense set to good effect in missions with the understanding that you're not exactly tanking for the group so much as able to get in really close to a priority target and score precision hits.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I think I may have to give the nomad a whirl tonight. It's probably going to require some different weapons I've been using slower reload weapons with the lone star auto reload.

Is there a resource for what are considered good guns and mods to use?

• Options
    I think I may have to give the nomad a whirl tonight. It's probably going to require some different weapons I've been using slower reload weapons with the lone star auto reload.

Someone put together this guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrdldw_X6qOtYIEGHvaWVHp6RUpX9WLInPqdPthJG74/preview

Bear in mind that talents on a gun can drastically affect how it performs. A Destructive, Ferocious, Responsive AK is probably going to perform better in PvE than a Focused, Swift, Accurate M4.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I finished a Classified set!

It's Banshee BOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I need a gloves+holster to finish D3 though, got both of those out of my last cache set, but alas, regular set pieces :( On the plus side though I've got a really good run down on Challenge Lexington solo, very safe and just shy of 10minutes per. It's not as fast as a group probably, but I can do it on my own time and just chew through a podcast. Hope I can finish D3 by the end of the event as it's my main set, but I'd settle for Nomad, which looks really good as a full set.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options

Someone put together this guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrdldw_X6qOtYIEGHvaWVHp6RUpX9WLInPqdPthJG74/preview

Bear in mind that talents on a gun can drastically affect how it performs. A Destructive, Ferocious, Responsive AK is probably going to perform better in PvE than a Focused, Swift, Accurate M4.

Also, while the LVOA is technically an M4, its recoil pattern is wholly different. While the M4 has horizontal and vertical, the LVOA has vertical only, but a lot more. Some people love it, some hate it. I personally love it, because if you're good at controlling vertical kick, it's basically a laser-beam of death.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I'm at max lvl and willing to run people through content. I noticed I wasn't doing as much dps as others but I should be able to help anyone below challenging content

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    So I picked this up over the weekend and am thoroughly enjoying the manshootin'

Just finished the story and hit 30. What's a WT1 noob need to do to get ahold of these sweet masks before the event ends?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular

That "perk that isn't memorable" is one of the best talents in the game! straight +18% damage against targets under status effects.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

That "perk that isn't memorable" is one of the best talents in the game! straight +18% damage against targets under status effects.

Hmm...that perk would be a near flat 18% damage boost against everything that I shoot with an AR (since I tend to light people on fire before I shoot them).