As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Souls 3 has some deep lore

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    In the jungle you must wait till the dice read 5 or 8.

Fuck this shit, going to use my cracked red orb to invade Chuck's world.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    A lot of the dual weapon sets look really fun. Makes it really hard to choose what to go with.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    God damn Van Pelt, always invading with his FotM rifle when I'm about to make progress.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Alright, the goal is to beat DaS3 on the Xboner this weekend so I can start fresh on PC Monday night. Time to get on that grind.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Naphtali wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Yeah but if I can lose 15% of damage on my pyromancies in exchange for being able to carry around a Demon Greataxe one-handed at the same soul level....

General consensus seems to be that if you want your spells to do more than tickle enemies, you need to actually invest in caster stats. Pyromancy has an advantage in that since both faith and int count for scaling, you have no wasted points in them like how a sorcerer has no use for faith but still has points in it and you're starting off closer to to the break point at which scaling really kicks in.

So you probably won't be toting around a greataxe one handed as a caster. Well, as an effective caster.

Maybe not the 30 or 50 strength ones, but there are definitely some "great" weapons you can one hand and not gimp your pyro casting (esthetically combined with the rings that effectively increase power by like 50%).

I also can't believe people are still going on about spells being weak early game/mid game.

We're not even at release yet. Expect a lot more griping about spell casting and the investment needed when players that aren't following what's been revealed so far jump in.

I've been purposefully not following stuff because I want to be mostly surprised by the game. Any major mechanical changes/things I should know mechanically about spells/miracles/pyromancy before going in?

Scaling doesn't really kick in until your int, faith, or combined int and faith are around 50 as appropriate for the magic discipline. This is in contrast to previous games where scaling slowed down before you hit those stat values (and physical stats still do. Few builds put more than 40 in strength or dexterity because of diminishing returns).

So DS3 magic is like how Arcane worked in Bloodborne, where arcane 50 was just the baseline for spells and arcane weapons and spells actually started to cap around 70 to 90-99 depending on the spell.

Sounds kind of awful. Guess i won't make a moonlight sword build to begin with.

Edit- though to be fair I find magic in these games to be boring. And I usually love be mages .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Meh, sounds like I might not be going pyro then. If I wanted to spend 40 levels swinging a sword around, before I could cast spells, I would just be a warrior.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    People blow things way out of proportion, honestly.

Only in DS2 could you manage to just spew magic at everything from the very start. In DS1 you also needed to fight in melee. As for Pyromancy... it's in the best place out of any of the three magic types, period. Your Int and Faith are combined together to determine the power of your Pyromancies.

Let's look at some of our starting classes for instance.

Knight: Effective Pyro power is 18
    Merc: Also 18
    Warrior: 17
    Herald: 21
    Thief: 18
    Assassin: 20
    Sorc: 23
    Pyromancer: 28
    Cleric: 23
    Deprived: 20

Pyromancer has the best head start for pure flamey goodness power cause they get 14/14 for Int and Faith.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Oh it's not Arcane Bloodborne bad.

Arcane was badish in BB because tools weren't really all that great until they got buffed. And even then there was only like, one tool that would be equivilent to soul arrow.

And besides Farron flashblade is in so you can turn your staff into a SWORD technically how cool is THAT, I am 100% rolling up a magic knight.

• Options
    Wait, what. How is the Farron Greatsword a staff, what.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Yeah but if I can lose 15% of damage on my pyromancies in exchange for being able to carry around a Demon Greataxe one-handed at the same soul level....

General consensus seems to be that if you want your spells to do more than tickle enemies, you need to actually invest in caster stats. Pyromancy has an advantage in that since both faith and int count for scaling, you have no wasted points in them like how a sorcerer has no use for faith but still has points in it and you're starting off closer to to the break point at which scaling really kicks in.

So you probably won't be toting around a greataxe one handed as a caster. Well, as an effective caster.

Maybe not the 30 or 50 strength ones, but there are definitely some "great" weapons you can one hand and not gimp your pyro casting (esthetically combined with the rings that effectively increase power by like 50%).

I also can't believe people are still going on about spells being weak early game/mid game.

We're not even at release yet. Expect a lot more griping about spell casting and the investment needed when players that aren't following what's been revealed so far jump in.

I've been purposefully not following stuff because I want to be mostly surprised by the game. Any major mechanical changes/things I should know mechanically about spells/miracles/pyromancy before going in?

Scaling doesn't really kick in until your int, faith, or combined int and faith are around 50 as appropriate for the magic discipline. This is in contrast to previous games where scaling slowed down before you hit those stat values (and physical stats still do. Few builds put more than 40 in strength or dexterity because of diminishing returns).

So DS3 magic is like how Arcane worked in Bloodborne, where arcane 50 was just the baseline for spells and arcane weapons and spells actually started to cap around 70 to 90-99 depending on the spell.

Sounds kind of awful. Guess i won't make a moonlight sword build to begin with.

Edit- though to be fair I find magic in these games to be boring. And I usually love be mages .

Dark Soul sorcerers tend to suffer from the early spells not being very interesting. A single arrow that homes in and does light damage is not the most engaging spell. Later spells tend to be more interesting and pyromancy tends to have more interesting spells at all levels. Add on that most spells are pretty easy to dodge so you're often at a disadvantage if you get invaded and it's not always the most engaging playstyle even if it's traditionally been really effective in PvE.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Wait, what. How is the Farron Greatsword a staff, what.

It is a low cost, low stamina spell that you combo. The blade extends off your catalyst, so the starting one is basically a long sword, and another staff you pick up fairly soon has like double the reach. Only "downside" is it hits for less, but it's clearly there to give sorcery melee, fast casting options.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Preloaded, ready for monday.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    People blow things way out of proportion, honestly.

Only in DS2 could you manage to just spew magic at everything from the very start. In DS1 you also needed to fight in melee. As for Pyromancy... it's in the best place out of any of the three magic types, period. Your Int and Faith are combined together to determine the power of your Pyromancies.

Let's look at some of our starting classes for instance.

Knight: Effective Pyro power is 18
    Merc: Also 18
    Warrior: 17
    Herald: 21
    Thief: 18
    Assassin: 20
    Sorc: 23
    Pyromancer: 28
    Cleric: 23
    Deprived: 20

Pyromancer has the best head start for pure flamey goodness power cause they get 14/14 for Int and Faith.

So your fire damage scaling starts cranking up at about 50 fire power? That.... is a bit high, but not too bad. Probably be able to get it going fairly quickly if you focus on it. Hrm...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Don't buy it on GMG. They aren't a legit reseller in most cases, and you can get it for $45 at GamesPlanetUK which is a legit reseller (or $43 if you jump through a hoop of joining their steam group and linking your account).

Wait, when was it decided GMG was bad, they used to be quite popular? I preordered Xcom 2 from them recently without any issues.

@Zxerol Where is that GMG voucher. I can't seem to find it

Movitz on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    Don't buy it on GMG. They aren't a legit reseller in most cases, and you can get it for $45 at GamesPlanetUK which is a legit reseller (or $43 if you jump through a hoop of joining their steam group and linking your account).

Wait, when was it decided GMG was bad, they used to be quite popular? I preordered Xcom 2 from them recently without any issues.

@Zxerol Where is that GMG voucher. I can't seem to find it

APR20

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Hmm, I'm a bit lost here, normally GMG have 18 letter vouchers. Where I'm I supposed to put APR20 in?

Edit, NVM. It works with other titles, just not DS3 unfortunately.

Movitz on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I don't trust key sites. I personally suspect that they're all connected to money laundering schemes in some obtuse and readily deniable fashion or something.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Well in the case of GamesPlanet it's an authorized one :P.

The issue with GMG is there is no guarantee they'll get you your key in time. People who pre-ordered from GamesPlanet have it preloaded already.

Also @Wyborn Not sure where I said that.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Hmm, I'm a bit lost here, normally GMG have 18 letter vouchers. Where I'm I supposed to put APR20 in?

Worked just fine for me :so_raven:

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    MegaMek wrote: »

Worked just fine for me :so_raven:

Really? What the hell am I doing wrong then. Works on Fallout 4 but none of the DS3 editions.

Movitz on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Just to appease my curiosity, is there any particular reason it's releasing on 4-11 for steam?

I still see the official date is listed at 4-12 for all platforms, right?

• Options
    Well in the case of GamesPlanet it's an authorized one :P.

The issue with GMG is there is no guarantee they'll get you your key in time. People who pre-ordered from GamesPlanet have it preloaded already.

Also @Wyborn Not sure where I said that.

Got it from gamesplanet instead, took approx 15 minutes from registration to preloading. Thanks for the tip!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/gc36RvOOIzY

Poisoner's play time

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Just to appease my curiosity, is there any particular reason it's releasing on 4-11 for steam?

It'll release at about 10am on 12th April for me on Steam.

Maybe it's a worldwide "everyone gets it on or before 12th April in their local time zone" thing?

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Can you play a hoplite in this game? By which I mean shield up and stab with spear.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Yes , in all three games actually.

• Options
    First time with Dark Souls, but just finished Bloodborne today. :P

Looking forward to it, thanks!

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah I'll be starting off as a Herald just for that awesome spear! Sadly there's a big lack of games that let you actually use spears.

Jediabiwan on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The spear is really good in this game.

Hell, all the weapons are really good.

• Options
    I really liked the rifle spear in Bloodborne, it provided for some interesting play. Like the full R2 would kill most things if you could get in a position to afford the huge charge time.

Spears are pretty cool.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Maybe it's a worldwide "everyone gets it on or before 12th April in their local time zone" thing?

Interesting, where are you located?

• Options
    Well if you play the first one use the silver knight spear . In the second use the partizan .

• Options
    How are magic and miracles this time around? Are dex/int and str/fth builds viable for PvE? I'm reading a lot of noise about magic being nerfed to the ground.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Herald will be my second playthrough, after Assassin.

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular

Interesting, where are you located?

New Zealand (GMT+12).

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I'm thinking just the same. But I was really bummed out by how DEX was handled in DS2 and would like to not bang my head against the wall like that again.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

I'm thinking just the same. But I was really bummed out by how DEX was handled in DS2 and would like to not bang my head against the wall like that again.

DEX looks great
    It has a bunch of awesome weapons

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I'm just glad Pyro is back. In DS1 it felt like the perfect class to start as when aiming for a catch all build, as it had somewhat even stats. It started with some fairly fine blocking and attack stats, and solid attunement and at least Int, if not Faith, as well as a handle on a close range magic. Provided it's not an eon before you can pick up a staff and some Soul ____ spells, and a pretty good greatsword, it looks the best for my uses.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

Dex was god tier in ds 2 crazy person. Espada ropera, partizan, ice rapier. Dex weapons as a whole formed the vast amount of op weapons .

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, dex was amazing in DaS2. A lot of the completely broken weapons were dex weapons.

Dex is very good in DaS3 as well, I'm almost through my first play through with an Uchigatana build and it's been working great. Having the Sharp infusion helps a lot, allows you to really over-focus dex.

e: Also, it seems patch 1.03 is up on XBox One for the English version. Still no online servers, but we are up to date with the JPN version now.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling