As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

SkutSkut wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    The twins are the ones that always fuck me up. I find them impossible if I have a slow firing weapon or something that requires charging up.

Stay on the edges of the room with them, don't go through the middle.

Just tried this and it worked gangbusters. Thanks!

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Charge weapons in general don't seem worth it for the amount of damage they put out. Rapid fire is where it's at for mooks and bosses alike.

counterpoint: the samus arm cannon "heroine" is one of the most efficient weapons in the game in regards to ammo/damage and pretty much carried me to finishing the game's final boss. the mega man cannon is the same, just a little lower-tier.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Certain charge weapons are super good against bosses.

Sling, Megahand, Heroine.

As far as fighting bosses the best weapons are things like Beehive and Stinger, with weapons that need to be fired again but also home just below those.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Pretty sure I'm never going to get any better at this game. Best I've made it so far is chamber 4. :\

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I really only use big charge weapons to alpha strike a room before switching to something else. There are two big problems with charge weapons for me. One, I use a controller. And even with the aim assist, one there's no real tracking to tell me where I'm about to throw this attack. So more often than I'm happy with, I either miss or hit the wrong target. Two, There just a few too many enemies that run directly at you and are much better served by multiple hits staggering / pushing them back.

• Options
    Cleared Boss Rush. It's a lot funner than the actual game is. Praise the Gun.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZHs9b53Gk"

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    First time killing the dragun - R2G2 - super space turtle and the Emperor made for an easy run

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I think they changed the Gattling Gul. He hasn't been standing still trying to hit me with his melee if you get right next to him anymore. Ah well it was a free perfect on him while it lasted.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Can you for real only use the one special character for co-op?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    But like, also all other characters are locked? Co-op is 2-player with one other character and the cultist?

Also wow talk about the least intuitive way to start co-op. We were fucking around for like a couple minutes trying to figure out why both controllers controlled the same character.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    That I'm not sure about. And yeah there are a lot of tiny, un-intuitive things in this.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I find myself really wishing on PS4 that I could remap blank to L2. I don't like it on either O or both sticks. And I'd gladly give up the map and schlep through without teleporting to get it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I think they changed the Gattling Gul. He hasn't been standing still trying to hit me with his melee if you get right next to him anymore. Ah well it was a free perfect on him while it lasted.

it was mentioned in the most recent patch notes that he has a cooldown on his melee now, so no cheese allowed!

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Man, i swear the RNG is just screwing with me. Everytime i get a new hunting quest from whatshisface, and that particular enemy just stops popping up (which, admittedly, was kinda nice when it was Hollowpoints, those things always catch me off-guard).

Now, trying to unlock the 4th chamber shortcut, yeah?
    Elevator Man wants 4 Junk. Should be easy right? Just shoot chests, right? They almost always drop junk when you do that. Yeah...well, out of the last 8 or 9 i've shot, it's been 6half hearts, 1gun, and 1junk. Really? Really?

Saa...in happier news, the Proton Backpack. Holy Kee-rist. Almost perfected Treadnaut (pre-nerf Treadnaut, no less!) just wailing on it with that thing; did end up beating him, just a stupid roll right at the end. It is just that good.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

They did. He now has a cooldown on his melee so he can no longer continually swipe with it and will eventually start shooting again.

I've had a shocking array of runs so far. I don't know what it is about me, I'm obviously RNG cursed in this game, but in the past 22 runs I've had no gun or keys spawn before the first boss in 18 of them. I've said this before and I'll say it again, this game needs to 100% give you a gun in the first chest you open. It's just not fun otherwise. In one of only 2 runs I've had for a while to get to level 5, I had to beat the Wallmonger with the starter pistol (and I did!) and then clear all of floor 5 with it, because I didn't get a gun from Wallmonger.

Nothing is worse in this game than getting a worthless passive item instead of a gun :/ There are so many passive items that just do nothing useful whatsoever in this game and might as well be joke items.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

They did. He now has a cooldown on his melee so he can no longer continually swipe with it and will eventually start shooting again.

I've had a shocking array of runs so far. I don't know what it is about me, I'm obviously RNG cursed in this game, but in the past 22 runs I've had no gun or keys spawn before the first boss in 18 of them. I've said this before and I'll say it again, this game needs to 100% give you a gun in the first chest you open. It's just not fun otherwise. In one of only 2 runs I've had for a while to get to level 5, I had to beat the Wallmonger with the starter pistol (and I did!) and then clear all of floor 5 with it, because I didn't get a gun from Wallmonger.

Nothing is worse in this game than getting a worthless passive item instead of a gun :/ There are so many passive items that just do nothing useful whatsoever in this game and might as well be joke items.

not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread before, probably has but if you don't get a gun before killing the chamber 1 boss you're guaranteed to get one. the sidearm meta can be annoying, to where I was clearing through chambers 2 and 3 trash rooms with one a lot of the time, but admittedly I've rarely had difficulties with being stacked with guns and ammo by floor 5 as long as you:

- only open chests of green rarity or better (especially on floor 1, if a chest isn't green+ you're better off rolling the dice on the boss's drop)
    - don't use guns that have poor ammo efficiency for clearing trash rooms. rapid fire guns are often amazing for bosses, which universally have large hitboxes to soak the spreads, and just terrible for everything else.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I know you get a gun for killing the boss, the problem is how unfun and boring it is to have to whittle them away with your sidearm. It's possible, but it makes getting hit really likely and then you lack a precious 4th health heart and the run will often go to shit from there. Once you leave floor 1 with 1 gun and no keys, you can just be plain fucked for the rest of the game. There are very few meaningful comeback mechanics in Gungeon, unlike other roguelikes.

Edit: And again, 6 more runs fighting the starting boss with the pistol because there was no weapons dropped the entire floor. It's ridiculous and especially when you get a beyond shit tier gun from that boss, which just disadvantages you for level 2 and so on. It snowballs into making every run not fun and guaranteed to fail.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    what's your class preference? convict, hunter both start with weapons that are kind of eh past chamber 3 or so but are great for easier no-hit runs on chamber 1 bosses if you're having trouble, whereas the marine sidearm with its accuracy is practically comparable with one of the lower-tier revolvers that drop all the time. pilot is the only class where I really feel it's easy to get in a hole like you're describing because of his dependence on the shop and likelihood to open a chamber 1 chest, with his sidearm being terrible enough that you really feel it.

• Options
    Ease of use is something like

Marine- plinking long range and accuracy
    Hunter- crossbow is servicable until chamber 3, starting gun has decent dps and reload
    Convict- sawed off is really only good for checking for secret rooms/knocking enemies into pits, best pistol dps but need to mash
    Pilot- discounts and lockpicks are super RNG reliant and don't make up for his garbage starting pistol, late game he's good because of his extra ammo in guns though

Starting gun DPS wise Convict is actually best. Her and Hunter do one more point of damage than Marine and Pilot while her reload/shooting is faster if you mash.

At this point the metagaming seems to be buying keys from the shop and opening every chest. Even brown ones have decent items in their pool (cog of war/sling for example) and brown chest can sometimes have a lot better payout than anything but rainbow. I opened a brown chest and got armor, cog of battle, a silver casing and a gold casing for example.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, I'm still undecided on using keys on brown chests or going to the first secret area. Brown chests tend to give some multi-items, but very rarely and they usually give you the highest garbage tier gun rate. On the other hand, maybe I should go back to opening them because so far saving keys for higher ranked chests has been failing for a long time now. I'd rather at least a different gun, even if it's awful, than a useless Guon stone or something else. Guon stone "Sometimes heals" aka never in 5 floors does anything (unless there is something I'm missing about how those stones are supposed to work).

I mean is it just the worst streak of RNG ever or am I doing something wrong? in 30 runs I've needed to fight the starting boss with my initial pistol 23 times. Of course, I have an idea that I might have caused the situation by buying out stuff in stores. When doing so, I didn't consider how much of their stuff was passive items and so I'm beginning to think I weighted the RNG towards all of them so that's why I'm in passive/active item no gun hell.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm still undecided on using keys on brown chests or going to the first secret area. Brown chests tend to give some multi-items, but very rarely and they usually give you the highest garbage tier gun rate. On the other hand, maybe I should go back to opening them because so far saving keys for higher ranked chests has been failing for a long time now. I'd rather at least a different gun, even if it's awful, than a useless Guon stone or something else. Guon stone "Sometimes heals" aka never in 5 floors does anything (unless there is something I'm missing about how those stones are supposed to work).

I mean is it just the worst streak of RNG ever or am I doing something wrong? in 30 runs I've needed to fight the starting boss with my initial pistol 23 times. Of course, I have an idea that I might have caused the situation by buying out stuff in stores. When doing so, I didn't consider how much of their stuff was passive items and so I'm beginning to think I weighted the RNG towards all of them so that's why I'm in passive/active item no gun hell.
    I don't really keep track, because I play Huntress exclusively for exactly this reason.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    First floor is pretty much starting weapon only.

Second is too, unless you're huntress or you got 2 or 3 guns on the first floor.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Finally beat the Dragun. Beehive + Angry/Fat Bullets just melted everything from about floor 2. Which is, again, a problem with the game; it's not that I played well, it's that I lucked into some absurd combo.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    First floor is pretty much starting weapon only.

Second is too, unless you're huntress or you got 2 or 3 guns on the first floor.

I would just like to get 1, before the boss.

It's my dream.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Not getting a good weapon on the first floor and occasionally stumbling into killer gear combos are two pretty defining characteristics of Roguelikes. I'd hate to see them go; it's not like the first floor is an hour long investment of time.

• Options
    No guns, no keys (I suspect it counts a key in a secret room as a drop for this) and most hilariously, I got the Derringer for beating Gatling Gull flawlessly with the starter pistol.

At what point do I get to claim I have the worst RNG in this game possible?

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    What's the deal with fire? I got caught on fire with 4 health, and just slowly burned to death. Water barrels aren't exactly common. Seems pretty...harsh.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    MadPen wrote: »
    What's the deal with fire? I got caught on fire with 4 health, and just slowly burned to death. Water barrels aren't exactly common. Seems pretty...harsh.

You can do a dodge roll to put it out. i suppose if you don't, it'll keep burning indefinitely. i've never had that happen, but then i grew up with GI Joe, i'm pretty sure they had a "stop, drop, and roll" PSA, probably with Barbecue.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Not getting a good weapon on the first floor and occasionally stumbling into killer gear combos are two pretty defining characteristics of Roguelikes. I'd hate to see them go; it's not like the first floor is an hour long investment of time.

I agree to a point, but for a game that's main advertisement of fun is the thousands of different guns you can find, I have no idea why it insists on being so stingy with drops starting out. There's no good reason with so many guns in the game that you we should have to ever grind the the first floor and boss with the annoyingly weak starting guns.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

STOP

DROP

AND ROLL

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

STOP

DROP

AND ROLL

And now you know. And knowing's half the battle!

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    I definitely open both chests on the first floor. No matter the color. I've gotten decent items out of the brown chests and IMO, its still better than continuing down with nothing. I don't even bother trying for the Oubliette if I don't get a really good room clearing gun. That level is a huge pain as a second level.

• Options
    So this sums up one of my complaints about the game pretty well.

Sqk8qos.png

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    So this sums up one of my complaints about the game pretty well.
    At least there's a key in it! The doomsday scenario is, like, armor/armor/half-heart. Which seems to happen a lot.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    If there isn't a key in the store, it will be a drop somewhere else. You are always guaranteed a key drop from the floor or from the shop. I'm not sure if it counts a key in a secret room though, which is the only way I can think of not getting a key.

I'm not even going to talk about my last run. I got to the Forge on it, but for the first 3 floors I had to deal with only having 2 guns.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Been routing this, as much as one can route a roguelike for speedruns.

?.jpg

Speedwise skipping any chest below green on the first chamber is probably best.

Realisticly getting Gunther, a move speed item, and then the Gungeon Map on the first floor is GG dead speed game.

Also either Bullets animation canceling has been patched or it's super hard to actually do.

Got the Rail Gun from WallMonger if it had showed up earlier the time would be a lot lower.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Anyone unlocked the secret character yet?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I have.
    Both of them, TV is annoying but easy to do, Bullet is bullshit and will take you 10~ hours just hoping to find a caped bullet FIVE TIMES.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Both? I know about the bullshit one, whats the other?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum