As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    When you unlock the shortcut for Chamber 2 go back in the elevator shaft and grab the TV. Bring the TV to the blacksmith in the forge.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    How do you bring it upstairs? Same Balloon used for the arm?
    I did find that thing once but after tossing it around a few times, didnt think it was worth keeping.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    You take the tv from Floor 2 (jump down into the elevator shaft like you did for the shortcut, which you have to have to get the TV and bring it to the Blacksmith, so you take it down from Chamber 2 to Chamber 5.

So skipping chest completely unless you find them in the way is something.

?.jpg

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Okay, I'm ready to voice my issues with this game now.
    • I'm colorblind and didn't know that there was a difference between chest colors until I read through this thread. That's a big problem. I've just been opening everything because I was completely unaware that loot pools changed.
    • If you're using a gun that consumes ammo, it should be unquestionably better than the starting, infinite-ammo weapon (which should be a backup in case you are dry on everything else, not your main weapon like I've been doing). Right now there are guns that are amazing (the bee one is particularly good), guns that are slightly better than the starting pistol, and guns that are roughly equivalent to the starting pistol but have limited ammo. I don't mind a variety in gun quality -- this is a Roguelike -- but if I'm consuming a limited resource it should have some benefit for doing so besides being vendor trash.
    • I'm playing on PS4 so maybe this complaint will be fixed when I get the patch, but resources are entirely too rare. I sometimes go an entire floor without finding any keys, hearts, or blanks, and that's kind of inexcusable. I get that they were going for having to manage very limited resources, but they could have done this so much better. Keys in particular are laughably scarce. Maybe the better chests take more than one key to unlock or something, but give me some fucking keys, because...
    • Hot damn fixing the elevator is expensive. Prohibitively so. You have basically got to sacrifice several runs just to get it going. I've never had three keys at the end of the second floor, even if I don't open any chests. I could maybe hope for a lucky Pilot run, but...
    • The Pilot fucking sucks. His accuracy stat -- something doing well in the game hinges on -- blows, and you are sacrificing the ability to reliably hit enemies for marginally cheaper shops, more ammo (so you can keep missing things longer) and a 50/50 shot at free chest unlocks. But if you fail the chest unlock, you're just SOL.
    • Shops are hit and miss. They should follow some basic templates so that you can count on them having something useful, but not necessarily game-breaking, in your run. This is admittedly one of the things I care the least about.
    • Secret rooms are pointless and the system for finding them is dumb. Either make them visible all the time or let me open them without using a blank, but right now the rewards for going around wasting ammunition finding them only to have to use a precious blank to open them once they're eventually found are so mediocre, it just means I just don't care about finding them at all.
    • The Treadnaught is unbelievably obnoxious. As in, did they playtest this?

Overall I'm having a great time with it, it just needs some balance fiddling to be enjoyable. I know it gets compared to Isaac a lot, but I think Isaac did a lot right. Yes, you can become completely broken if you played your cards right, and I don't think they need to go that far with this game (I think they're going for a "constantly on the razor's edge" kind of vibe) but you have to play very well to get to that point and you can at least feel hopeful that a drop will occur once in a while. In Gungeon, if completing a room drops anything other than currency, it's a wildly unexpected surprise. I don't need to drown in keys, but it should at least be possible for me to get enough resources to get by.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    They balanced the Treadnaught a bit already on PC so that the additional adds' shots don't track you; the patch process for the PS4 might just be lagging behind the PC version.

In my experience, brown chests are really never worth the effort. Yes, there's stuff, but it's often not anything I really care about. I'll only consider them if I am truly desperate for gear. For any color blind people, color isn't the only distinguishing factor for chest rarity, the chest itself becomes more elaborate and larger.

Note on chests, in case you all didn't know, you can shoot and destroy a chest. The loot drop is often greatly reduced (if it isn't nothing at all), but if you didn't have a key you might as well roll the dice. I wouldn't destroy any rare chests until you leave a floor in case the boss drops a key.

As far as floor drops, as long as you don't take damage as you clear rooms, there's essentially a hidden stat that increases chance for a drop when you clear a room. And if you do take damage from an enemy, they will not drop money on death.

Also as you free prisoners in the game, many of them are shop keepers, so you will start seeing more shops in runs.

Secret rooms are kind of annoying to find, but from what I've seen there's a good chance they show up on the very fringe rooms of a level. They're more of a minor bonus than anything else. Annoying to find, and not really worth the effort to painstakingly search for them. Worst case, save your blanks for the boss if you feel you need it.

Cobell on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you have 1 or 2 blanks after a boss fight, then go hunting for secret rooms as you're guaranteed to get bumped back up to 2 at the start of the next level.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Slower than the time I posted but not by much, here's a speedrun in video form.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT_WHErTXBM"

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Cobell wrote: »

Note on chests, in case you all didn't know, you can shoot and destroy a chest. The loot drop is often greatly reduced (if it isn't nothing at all), but if you didn't have a key you might as well roll the dice. I wouldn't destroy any rare chests until you leave a floor in case the boss drops a key.

Also if the chest does break, the junk it drops can be sold for a pretty penny to Grate Thing, i think it nets something like 20or so casings.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Grate Thing really should show up all the time if I'm gonna be loaded down with junk weapons.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular

Also if the chest does break, the junk it drops can be sold for a pretty penny to Grate Thing, i think it nets something like 20or so casings.

He gives 3 casings for junk. Probably something else that'll change when the patch hits PS4.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    sPider817 wrote: »

He gives 3 casings for junk. Probably something else that'll change when the patch hits PS4.

*blink*

*blink*blink*

Three casings? Are you shitting me, Pyle?

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

*blink*

*blink*blink*

It's random. Sometimes he gives you 50+.

Sometimes he gives you shit all.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »

*blink*

*blink*blink*

Then my RNG is busted, because I have gotten 3 casings every single time I've dropped junk in the grate.

• Options

*blink*

*blink*blink*

Alright then, perhaps i've been on the lucky side of the bell curve for that, because Grate Thing junking was basically how i funded Elevator Guy for the first two shortcuts.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
  • Options

Hrmmm...from 54 to 3casings post patch... i suppose i ought to get good and get the 4th chamber shortcut done right quick, or it'll be a right pain in the keister (of course, getting the key requirement with pre-patch drops...).

Also, i hardly ever use the shortcuts, so i'd never noticed that Hegemony Credits won't spawn in a shortcut run. That's...kinda jank, right there.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    So what are the requirements for the floor 2 elevator? I did...
    ... the HP upgrade for taking no hits on the first boss and 3 blanks
    Then he asked for something like 100 shells and 3 keys. How the holy hell am I supposed to get that on floor 2? I thought I'd finished the floor 2 shortcut and he was asking for stuff for floor 3 after the 3 blanks.

:(

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    jclast wrote: »
    Then he asked for something like 100 shells and 3 keys. How the holy hell am I supposed to get that on floor 2? I thought I'd finished the floor 2 shortcut and he was asking for stuff for floor 3 after the 3 blanks.

Let's see...should be 120 casings and 3 keys. If you're playing pre-patch, go with the pilot, try to lockpick every chest. If it fails break the chest for junk to sell. You'll have enough cash by the third junk. The pilot's passive will let you by an extra key if you need one a little cheaper than with other characters. If you're lucky, though you'll have a key for starting, one from a boss drop, and one from a room drop. That takes a bit of luck, but it is doable. You might end up having to do a fair amount with just the starting gun, though.

Aside from the keys, you'll need 10 hegemony credits, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.[/quit]

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

Let's see...should be 120 casings and 3 keys. If you're playing pre-patch, go with the pilot, try to lockpick every chest. If it fails break the chest for junk to sell. You'll have enough cash by the third junk. The pilot's passive will let you by an extra key if you need one a little cheaper than with other characters. If you're lucky, though you'll have a key for starting, one from a boss drop, and one from a room drop. That takes a bit of luck, but it is doable. You might end up having to do a fair amount with just the starting gun, though.

Aside from the keys, you'll need 10 hegemony credits, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.[/quit]

So the entire requirement for the second floor shortcut is:
    floor 1 HP upgrade
    3 blanks
    120 casings
    3 keys
    10 Hegemoney credits

That's brutal. I'm not sure I've ever had all of those things at the same time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    How do you sell the Junk?

Don't you have to drop items to give them to the grate fella? Junk isn't selectable to drop is it?

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    How do you sell the Junk?

Don't you have to drop items to give them to the grate fella? Junk isn't selectable to drop is it?

Pull up the map screen to drop stuff.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The requirements for the lower floors just keep going
    one part of floor 3 requires you to turn in 3 armor, then 5 keys and more casings,

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Well, you don't need everything in one go, though. You can get the master round one run, and the casings + keys another, f'rex. From what i've read, it's only the Hegemony Credits one that triggers last.
    (that is, even though he asks for blanks first, if you go in with a master round first and aren't carrying the blanks, he'll take the master round off your hands)
    i've visited the 4th chamber one with 30credits in pocket, and he wouldn't take any off my hands, 'cause i hadn't been able to give him the other crap yet.

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    One of my new favorite combos that happened in game.

The jet pack and the fossilized gun. Spray the room with gasoline from the gun and the flames from the jetpack ignite it while you are immune to the flames. I also got a mimic tooth necklace on this run. Oh crap right? Nope. Fill the room with gasoline and watch those mimics burn from the hallway :)

• Options
    Oooooh, that's not so bad. So the master round and blanks I gave him weren't wasted then. I thought I had to do it all at once.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oh, total aside, but cpt's post reminded me. Items that allow you to fly (just wax wing and jet pack, maybe?) will let you cheat the sharpshooting game. You're not actually blocked off from entering the field, so you can just fly right up and pop the targets without having to worry about blocked shots or ricochets, or anything like that.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Oh, total aside, but cpt's post reminded me. Items that allow you to fly (just wax wing and jet pack, maybe?) will let you cheat the sharpshooting game. You're not actually blocked off from entering the field, so you can just fly right up and pop the targets without having to worry about blocked shots or ricochets, or anything like that.

O.M.G.

I didn't even realize that was a thing you could do. I've never tried flying into the pit. I always assumed that would disqualify you instantly!

• Options
    If you mange to clear a floor taking no to very little damage, you'll be surprised how many credits you have.

Also, shortcuts aren't all that, as you miss out on boss drops and anything in between the start and there. I don't think it's until the floor 3 shortcut that they offer some compensation (floor 3 is a choice of 1 gun from a set of 3).

• Options
    Shortcuts have one huge use and that's farming Frifles challenges. But that's about it.

Also woo new run, I think this is world record unless other runners have done better today, getting close to sub 20!

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwQaX-xSVM8"

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Glacier is a ridiculously good gun

• Options
    The Glacier is a ridiculously good gun

Yep, it's an easy perfect on a lot of the bosses.

AND it tends to show up in the early chambers, which is doubly nice.

• Options
    If you mange to clear a floor taking no to very little damage, you'll be surprised how many credits you have.

Also, shortcuts aren't all that, as you miss out on boss drops and anything in between the start and there. I don't think it's until the floor 3 shortcut that they offer some compensation (floor 3 is a choice of 1 gun from a set of 3).

You're right about the shortcuts being mostly bunk, but...heck...they're gettable trophies, so there's something in my head that says "damnit, i've got to get 'em."

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    On my last runs, after taking on the boss with starting weapons, this is the guns I've got each time:

Pea Shooter
    Klobbe
    Derringer
    Camera (It's not awful at least)
    Lower Case r

Seriously Gungeon. Seriously.

• Options

You're right about the shortcuts being mostly bunk, but...heck...they're gettable trophies, so there's something in my head that says "damnit, i've got to get 'em."

True, and honestly unlocking the shortcuts got me much better at clearing the earlier levels.

• Options
    Something did occur to me though, while using the shortcuts may mean you're (potentially) working with fewer resources. Maybe they would make
    The secret character, and maybe Golem's arm quests easier? Like just going to the chamber that has the piece you need, and going from there; instead of slogging through earlier floors unnecessarily?

i wouldn't know, i've only gotten to the 4th chamber boss the once; and have yet to set foot in chamber 5. Up to 108deaths now, and yet, i'm still having fun; so that's a thing.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options

I just like goals that feel immediate. It's either that or I'm throwing myself at "it'd be swell to see the third floor again" or "I really want to get the materials together to see and beat 0 again."

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    On my last runs, after taking on the boss with starting weapons, this is the guns I've got each time:

Pea Shooter
    Klobbe
    Derringer
    Camera (It's not awful at least)
    Lower Case r

Seriously Gungeon. Seriously.

How does the camera work? I've gotten in once and promptly munched it because it seemed to only stun enemies instead of hurt them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    It damages everything in the room actually every shot. It's damage just drops off hugely though and can't do shit to later enemies, plus no knockback or similar. It's okay, it's certainly not utterly dreadful tier but it's not great either.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Had a run today where I found Jill Valentine's hat, which gave me a key if I cleared a room well, or had a chance to anyway. So many keys.

That run was the "weird projectiles" RNG. Banana, Molotov gun, pot gun, anvil gun, all sorts of crazy stuff.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    The Mailbox is another surprisingly good early floor gun. For some reason it is particularly effective on Bullet King.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys