As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is a Thread About [Superheroes]

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    New recap/trailer for Civil War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fc-qgLGQ-I

They're really playing up the "Things have been leading to this for YEARS" angle I'd like to pretend it's a subtle jab at DC.

wait, that "road to civil war" supercut thing wasn't a fan thing? Or was there another recap thingy that I missed?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    New recap/trailer for Civil War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fc-qgLGQ-I

They're really playing up the "Things have been leading to this for YEARS" angle I'd like to pretend it's a subtle jab at DC.

wait, that "road to civil war" supercut thing wasn't a fan thing? Or was there another recap thingy that I missed?

Nah that was a fan thing, just looks like marketing is starting to tap that angle as well. They've got a long way to go to beat the editing of "I could do this all day" in the fan version though, love that bit.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Does everyone approve of Batman and Superman's choices in Doritos

They say Superman is nacho, while Batman is cool ranch

I'm not certain I can get down with that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago, I was surprised when I found out that Ming-Na Wen was Chun Li in the original Street Fighter movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzAMmpMra8

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I finished the first trade a bit ago, but for some reason today I am both reminded and compelled to say that I loooooved descender

very excited to see its second trade is coming out next week

it perfectly scratches my mass effect 1 itch whereas saga scratches my mass effect 2 itch (I only name my itches after AAA IPs)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I finished the first trade a bit ago, but for some reason today I am both reminded and compelled to say that I loooooved descender

very excited to see its second trade is coming out next week

it perfectly scratches my mass effect 1 itch whereas saga scratches my mass effect 2 itch (I only name my itches after AAA IPs)

I just *just* finished the first trade. So down with this timing.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Descender is soooo gooooood

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Cloak and Dagger has gotten the green light on Freeform, formerly ABC Family.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Ugh, so many trades coming out this month I want. Both Cap: Sam Wilson and Contest of Champions, plus another I'm probably forgetting.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    No.

No he cannot.

He kind of can? I mean low is noticibly more optimistic that his other books, and the main character is straight up an optimist.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    No.

No he cannot.

He kind of can? I mean low is noticibly more optimistic that his other books, and the main character is straight up an optimist.
    Low must have changed drastically from when I read it because it was the grimmest most violent, depressing shit I had read from him

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the "general" audience, but the D&D thread is definitely less positive about Flash this season. I still really enjoy it though I do think they've made some mistakes.
    Barry and Patty
    WERE super adorable, and I really liked Patty, but then they killed the relationship with bullshit secret drama and Barry being a big dumb dummy. I really want her to come back sooner rather than later.
    Recent reveals
    Also having the big bad for the second time in a row be a speedster mentor betraying the group is...not ideal. I feel like there must be more going on there based on what we've seen because it doesn't make sense otherwise, so I'm trying not to judge it until we seemingly get some answers in the next episode. Still though.

The D&D thread for any particular show or property tends to be, at least partially, filled with people who seem to continue to hate-watch it and are entirely unconvinced that something can be "not for them" rather than being "the worst thing ever". The Supernatural thread chugs along purely out of spite, and the Arrow/Flash ones aren't far behind.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Is it part of the MCU, or is it a separate thing?

• Options
    I would be shocked if it wasn't part of the MCU, it is a Marvel Studios joint and everything they have made since, like, Iron Man is.

But there are no official details other than the announcement from Variety.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

Is it part of the MCU, or is it a separate thing?

Judging form AoS and Netflix would it make much of a difference?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

link: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/marvel-cloak-and-dagger-freeform-series-1201747907/
    The younger-skewing ABC-owned network has greenlit “Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger” with a straight-to-series order, Variety has exclusively learned.

Described as a superhero love story, “Cloak and Dagger” is based on the titular comic book duo (also known as Tandy Bowen and Tyrone Johnson) who have appeared in Marvel Comics classics, including “Spiderman” and “X-Men” stories.

The live-action interracial romance follows the duo, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love — Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean, Cloak and Dagger have significant ties to both Spider-Man and the X-Men, so I think that was the question there.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    haha, the first comment on the Variety article is a sour racist upset that a black man and a white woman are going to kiss

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    haha, the first comment on the Variety article is a sour racist upset that a black man and a white woman are going to kiss

Look buddy, why do you care? It's not like either of them want to kiss you!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, I was surprised when I found out that Ming-Na Wen was Chun Li in the original Street Fighter movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzAMmpMra8

I really like Ming-Na but I cannot stand her as Chun Li in this movie.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Oliver did a pretty good Batman impression last night

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    kaceyp wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the "general" audience, but the D&D thread is definitely less positive about Flash this season. I still really enjoy it though I do think they've made some mistakes.
    Barry and Patty
    WERE super adorable, and I really liked Patty, but then they killed the relationship with bullshit secret drama and Barry being a big dumb dummy. I really want her to come back sooner rather than later.
    Recent reveals
    Also having the big bad for the second time in a row be a speedster mentor betraying the group is...not ideal. I feel like there must be more going on there based on what we've seen because it doesn't make sense otherwise, so I'm trying not to judge it until we seemingly get some answers in the next episode. Still though.

The D&D thread for any particular show or property tends to be, at least partially, filled with people who seem to continue to hate-watch it and are entirely unconvinced that something can be "not for them" rather than being "the worst thing ever". The Supernatural thread chugs along purely out of spite, and the Arrow/Flash ones aren't far behind.
    First I'll say that the bolded is something I very much agree with, not in regards to D&D but in general.

But I don't think that's really fair otherwise. The Supernatural thread, though not very active, is largely positive about the show this season (and the overall negative view of the show the past few years is certainly not unlike the attitude here). The Agents of Shield thread is very positive overall.

In fact if I'm being honest, I think for some shows D&D has more balanced discussion than is found here, by virtue of the individual threads fostering deeper conversation about them.

Honestly, I agree with a lot of the major criticisms of The Flash that people mention there. They just don't affect my enjoyment of the show as much as they do for some.

And believe me, I know places on the intertubes that seem to be hate-watching Arrow, and D&D ain't one of 'em.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I am actually way into the majority of this list

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Forget Jeremy Renner; (Aaron) Paul is a born Hawkeye. He has this way, as amply demonstrated in Breaking Bad, of seeming like a very very intelligent guy who’s simultaneously a complete idiot. That’s Clint Barton.

Yup.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's a killer list

I mean, overall Elle does a good job with those

Cast Party is one of my favorite new CA features

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It's TWENTY-FUCKING-SIXTEEN!

Argh!

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

It's TWENTY-FUCKING-SIXTEEN!

Argh!

The fact that the synopsis feels the need to include the word interracial in this sentence even irks me.
    "The live-action interracial romance follows the duo, two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers while falling in love — Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness."

After watching a decent amount of BBC programs they seem to manage to just have multi-racial families be in things without feeling the need to make a thing out of it.
    Any time a US show does it, they've got to make sure you noticed.

Edit: Also Cloak and Dagger are so thoroughly wrapped up in the Don't do drugs Kids messaging of the late eighties. I know they'll need some updating. I can't help but think it'll go very Twilight-ish.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the word "interracial" there struck me as really creepy for some reason? Like way to draw attention to what should be completely unworthy of attention, article writer

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Especially considering there are already five examples of MCU interracial couples and the only one that drew any mention at all was the one that happened in the 40s

sig.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, even labeling it feels weird.

• Options
    Wait, six

"Skye" had a boyfriend who was white whom she broke up with in like the second episode of AoS.

sig.gif
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Especially considering there are already five examples of MCU interracial couples and the only one that drew any mention at all was the one that happened in the 40s
    Hm well let's see I guess there is daredevil and Electra, Sky and whoever she started dating since I stopped watching and who else?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, six

"Skye" had a boyfriend who was white whom she broke up with in like the second episode of AoS.

What are the other five?

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, obviously.
    Daredevil and Elektra, I guess.
    ...Cap and Falcon?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Hm well let's see I guess there is daredevil and Electra, Sky and whoever she started dating since I stopped watching and who else?

I wasn't counting Elektra because she's Greek isn't she? Mediterranean usually counts as white?

I was counting May/Ward, May/Andrew, Skye/that guy, Skye/Lincoln, Jessica Jones/Luke Cage and Carter/Wilkes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wait, six

What are the other five?

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, obviously.
    Daredevil and Elektra, I guess.
    ...Cap and Falcon?

May and Andrew

• Options
    Wait I forgot Jiaying/Calvin!

sig.gif
  • Options

I wasn't counting Elektra because she's Greek isn't she? Mediterranean usually counts as white?

I was counting May/Ward, May/Andrew, Skye/that guy, Skye/Lincoln, Jessica Jones/Luke Cage and Carter/Wilkes.

Honestly, of those, Jessica/Luke and May/Andrew are the only ones that're really worth anything as the others are either short-term hookups or just awful and to be disregarded whenever possible. And really so far Jessica/Luke hasn't really earned a place yet either, but I'm giving that one the benefit of the doubt.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Her actress is asian; she was just adopted by greeks.

• Options

Honestly, of those, Jessica/Luke and May/Andrew are the only ones that're really worth anything as the others are either short-term hookups or just awful and to be disregarded whenever possible. And really so far Jessica/Luke hasn't really earned a place yet either, but I'm giving that one the benefit of the doubt.

Sure, I stretched it to include short-term relationships

but my point was it was never a thing

sig.gif
  • Options

Her actress is asian; she was just adopted by greeks.

Aah, my mistake. She didn't really register as Asian to me for some reason.

Neither does Daisy for the most part but she's mixed-race.

Race is weird!

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.