As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is a Thread About [Superheroes]

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    ...Cap and Falcon?

Hey now, I'm all for progressiveness, but you can't break up Cap/Bucky.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I completely forgot about Jessica Jones and Luke Cage!

But I think this particular instance draws attention to the fact that for most people, an "interracial" relationship means a white person and a black person (or at least it's only really used in that context)

Which is pretty fuckin' weird!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Especially considering there are already five examples of MCU interracial couples and the only one that drew any mention at all was the one that happened in the 40s
    Hm well let's see I guess there is daredevil and Electra, Sky and whoever she started dating since I stopped watching and who else?

I wasn't counting Elektra because she's Greek isn't she? Mediterranean usually counts as white?

I was counting May/Ward, May/Andrew, Skye/that guy, Skye/Lincoln, Jessica Jones/Luke Cage and Carter/Wilkes.

Her actress is asian; she was just adopted by greeks.

Aah, my mistake. She didn't really register as Asian to me for some reason.

Neither does Daisy for the most part but she's mixed-race.

Race is weird!

Also weird because an actors ethnicity isn't necessarily the same as the character they play. Elektra could be greek and that's why she was adopted by a Greek couple.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So next year we could have

Agents of SHIELD - ABC
    Most Wanted - ABC
    Damage Control - ABC
    "Another Comedy Show" - ABC
    John Ridley's project - ABC
    Cloak and Dagger - Freeform
    Iron Fist - Netflix
    The Defenders - Netflix

And maybe Agent Carter in some form?

In five years, all media will be superheroes, won't it?

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Mixed-race relationships with Asian women are generally not mentioned

Mixed-race relationships with Asian men are essentially non-existent in media

it's a weird and terrible double standard

sig.gif
  • Options

Agents of SHIELD - ABC
    Most Wanted - ABC
    Damage Control - ABC
    Iron Fist - Netflix
    The Defenders - Netflix

Anytime anyone lists the superhero media that's coming in the next couple years, I get a little exhausted

And I like this shit

How the hell did we get here

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

Agents of SHIELD - ABC
    Most Wanted - ABC
    Damage Control - ABC
    Iron Fist - Netflix
    The Defenders - Netflix

Anytime anyone lists the superhero media that's coming in the next couple years, I get a little exhausted

And I like this shit

How the hell did we get here

The Avengers flick made a billion and a half dollars.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

That's a pretty good Shulkie

edit: the other designs look rad, too, except for maybe Medusa.

honovere on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    ...Cap and Falcon?

I mean, they met when Cap thought Bucky was dead. He's got some tough decisions to make now.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    As long as the stuff Marvel puts out is at least okay to good, I have no problems with them pushing out more content. Sure as shit beats watching terrible sitcom comedy #452 or yet another crime procedural spin-off #12.

The fact that they are going for different genres or channels or demographics at least mixes it up a bit.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    That art looks fine except for Carol who just looks like she has a weird skull thing going

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So. I got around to seeing Batman vs. Superman yesterday. I've not had a chance to go back and read the spoilery discussion yet, so I have no idea how this might compare to anything else that's been said.

I didn't actually hate it, but there are major elements of the film that just did not work for me.

I honestly didn't really have a problem with the tone. Like, I usually prefer a bit more levity in stuff like this because it actually helps to make the drama more effective in various ways. But I was okay with this. Though the film is so serious overall that the few bits of levity felt kind of out of place when they popped up.

The biggest problem for me is probably the title premise. I felt like the conflict between Batman and Superman was just not well done, and I think both characters suffered from characterization issues, albeit different ones.
    Superman/Clark overall seemed pretty reasonable, but I feel like we got so little insight into his actual character throughout the movie. Except for a couple of short bits condemning Batman's style of crimefighting, I don't remember him really voicing any opinions or thoughts about...anything. Maybe I've forgotten some of it but it seems like Henry Cavill had a weirdly small amount of significant dialogue and we almost never explore Clark's perspective.

On the other hand, we get notably more character for Bruce/Batman and more insight into his viewpoint. Unfortunately, he also comes across as a psychopath. Again, I could be forgetting stuff, but I don't remember him ever even once attempting to have an actual conversation with Superman before attacking him. The big fight is especially ridiculous. He taunts Superman into showing up, immediately attacks him, and despite the fact that Supes tries to talk to him multiple times -- including to explicitly state that he doesn't want Batman dead, which implies he was never planning to kill him and was there to find some alternate way to solve the dilemma with Lex/Martha -- Batman just continually goes RAWR KILL YOU.

And then he immediately does a 180 when he finds out about Martha. Which could make sense, except I don't think Bats had any idea before that that Supes was even there at the behest of Lex. Batman had just totally decided to take Superman out already. So while I can understand him wanting to save a potentially innocent woman, and I get the Martha connection, he doesn't really have any reason to change his attitude towards Superman. He just looks dangerously unstable. Which, I mean, Bruce is not the picture of mental health, but he really comes across as unreasonably aggressive.

Also, I kind of feel like they should have totally cut out the bits with the old photograph of Diana. I think it would have worked better if she was just this mysterious woman that Bruce encounters a couple of times, and only have the big reveal when she shows up to help fight Doomsday.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Speaking of BvS, did they ever use the "red capes are coming" quote? If so, in what context, and was it a context where the line wasn't completely stupid?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    ...Cap and Falcon?

I mean, they met when Cap thought Bucky was dead. He's got some tough decisions to make now.

There's going to be an email apologising for acting like such a jackass when they met on Horizon, but it was such a shock and Cap was there with Shield, it's a whole thing.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Speaking of BvS, did they ever use the "red capes are coming" quote? If so, in what context, and was it a context where the line wasn't completely stupid?

I think Lex says it to the congresswoman during their confrontation in his house?

• Options
    I found this a little bit ago and I'm just gonna put this here (Skip to 2:40 because I guess we still can't embed timecoded youtube links)

https://youtu.be/APeVihoDe6Q?t=160

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I think Lex says it to the congresswoman during their confrontation in his house?

It's in regards to a Paul Revere quote as well.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

I

I mean I guess not everybody here is american so it's reasonable to state this.

Doesn't stop the line from being dumb.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Bedigunz was asking the context? I didn't think the line was particularly good either.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It feels very freeing to not commit to watching every superhero movie or tv show, you guys. I can look at that big slate of comic book stuff and just...pick what I want to watch, out of it and go on with my day

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    If it is like most ABC Family fare I will definitely be skipping Cloak and Dagger

Never been a huge fan of the characters and am not dying to watch a teen romance soap opera

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah, people talk about saturation, or whatever, but I'm pretty sure even Marvel doesn't expect people to watch all of it and are going more for an approach of having enough variety that just about everyone can find something that appeals to them. They could just about start a Marvel Network with everything they've got planned.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited April 2016
    It feels very freeing to not commit to watching every superhero movie or tv show, you guys. I can look at that big slate of comic book stuff and just...pick what I want to watch, out of it and go on with my day

At some point it's a sunk cost fallacy for me.

I've ALREADY watched everything in the MCU, it's not going to kill me to watch a little bit more.

And a little bit more...

And a little bit more...

And holy shit where did all my free time go?

EDIT: This does make me want to do my idea of having a media box in my living room that basically has a "MCU channel" constantly streaming from it that I can tune into whenever I get bored.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    You know how Ming-Na Wen doesn't even remotely look 52?

I saw a picture of her from 2006... She looks like a teenager!
    Ming-Na_4.jpg

Keanu Reeves has some immortal competition!

Remember when May gave Ward the honor of tapping that and everyone one went, "Yeah yep okay that is totally a thing I would do" with nary a dissenting voice in sight?

• Options
    edited April 2016

I

Sorry I might have misread. They bring up Paul Revere in the conversation. And that's what the line is in regards to. Not just like a contextless thing entirely. Still kinda dumb.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Remember when Ming-Na Wen fought Lingerie Ming-Na Wen?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

sig.gif
  • Options
    This does make me want to do my idea of having a media box in my living room that basically has a "MCU channel" constantly streaming from it that I can tune into whenever I get bored.

Every so often, I consider doing something like this with my entire TV-on-DVD collection, but it would take a lot of time to rip the DVDs and cut up all the individual episodes, so I've never pulled the trigger on it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I

Sorry I might have misread. They bring up Paul Revere in the conversation. And that's what the line is in regards to. Not just like a contextless thing entirely. Still kinda dumb.

Oh yeah sorry then this one is on me. I didn't realize they brought the connection up in movie which stems from the same ethnocentrism that caused me to first assume that everybody should already know about an American icon.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

At some point it's a sunk cost fallacy for me.

I've ALREADY watched everything in the MCU, it's not going to kill me to watch a little bit more.

And a little bit more...

And a little bit more...

And holy shit where did all my free time go?

EDIT: This does make me want to do my idea of having a media box in my living room that basically has a "MCU channel" constantly streaming from it that I can tune into whenever I get bored.

Too bad they don't seem to have any plans to release the Netflix series on Blu-ray. Always gonna be a hole on the shelves. I guess unless they change their minds about it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It's weird, because stuff like House of Cards comes out on blu-ray.

Though given Agent Carter and AoS Season 2 on blu-ray were exlcusive to amazon, maybe Disney's TV division is just moving away from physical media?

• Options
    The Phase Two collector's set was also Amazon-exclusive.

Basically they seem to be phasing out of selling physical media, period.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Are there any media server applications that can hook into streaming services for your "Library". In theory I feel like it should be possible to do a Spotify sort of thing, where you can combine your local collection and your streaming service collection into a single place and create playlists that pull from both. I imagine Netflix et al would have to provide APIs for that, and probably don't feel incentivized to do so, but I've never looked into it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Yeah Netflix probably has their streams locked down pretty tight.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I've wanted to see basically every MCU film, so whatever. I gave Agents of SHIELD an honest shot, and, you know, I don't need to watch more of it. I'm probably not going to watch Marvel's Most Wanted, either.

• Options
    If it weren't for the movie reviewing, I'd be happy to just have my little Netflix corner.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I was poking around Box Office Mojo and yikes BvS' total grosses are looking dire

It only made 2.8 million yesterday, compared to the 8.1 million it did on the same day last week, and has been falling swiftly across the board.

Right now it's domestic gross is 270 million and it's current dwindling rate, it might not clear 300 million domestic before it gets shuffled out of theaters for the May blockbuster crowd. It probably will but even then that is not a very good haul considering it had a 250-300 million production budget. For comparison, Avengers: AoU, Iron Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises all cracked 400 million (with AoU making it past 450). There's even a pretty solid chance it doesnt beat Guardians of the Galaxy which had a 330 million domestic gross.

Internationally it is in the same boat, the film is floundering in China which is the biggest international market (although it does have less return on revenue) and is currently sitting at 434 million. For comparison, using the same films, AoU broke 900 million, Iron Man 3 broke 800 Million, TDKR broke 600 million and GotG broke 440 Million. The only one of those it has any hope of reaching is Guardians of the Galaxy.

So, it is barely past 700 million total and is trending to not even break 800 million.

None of this is really news, but I figured some actual figures would be useful instead of just IT IS BAD

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I've wanted to see basically every MCU film, so whatever. I gave Agents of SHIELD an honest shot, and, you know, I don't need to watch more of it. I'm probably not going to watch Marvel's Most Wanted, either.

Yeah I don't know why you'd want to watch Most Wanted if you aren't already invested in the characters through AoS.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I was poking around Box Office Mojo and yikes BvS' total grosses are looking dire

It only made 2.8 million yesterday, compared to the 8.1 million it did on the same day last week, and has been falling swiftly across the board.

Right now it's domestic gross is 270 million and it's current dwindling rate, it might not clear 300 million domestic before it gets shuffled out of theaters for the May blockbuster crowd. It probably will but even then that is not a very good haul considering it had a 250-300 million production budget. For comparison, Avengers: AoU, Iron Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises all cracked 400 million (with AoU making it past 450). There's even a pretty solid chance it doesnt beat Guardians of the Galaxy which had a 330 million domestic gross.

Internationally it is in the same boat, the film is floundering in China which is the biggest international market (although it does have less return on revenue) and is currently sitting at 434 million. For comparison, using the same films, AoU broke 900 million, Iron Man 3 broke 800 Million, TDKR broke 600 million and GotG broke 440 Million. The only one of those it has any hope of reaching is Guardians of the Galaxy.

So, it is barely past 700 million total and is trending to not even break 800 million.

None of this is really news, but I figured some actual figures would be useful instead of just IT IS BAD

If any of that can give WB a major wake-up call, that's good.

In an ideal world they'd find some kind of happy compromise where they retool the DC Universe while keeping the casting and only broad-strokes accepting MoS and BvS as canon while discarding the "character development" and moving on from there.

I'd hate to have wasted Ben Affleck on such a bad series.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Most Wanted existing probably just means I won't watch Shield anymore and just watch that, if I watch at all

I got the gist of the Inhumans stuff so I have no real drive to watch Shield anymore unless they bring back Kyle MacLachlan or make Ward Taskmaster, and I don't know which is more unlikely at this point

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.