As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is a Thread About [Superheroes]

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm almost willing to give The Hobbit films a pass for Richard Armitage and Lee Pace.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They've been trying to figure out what to do since they ran out of Harry Potter books. Someone is just staring at a Fantastic Beasts logo right now in a candlelit room trying to will people into a froth over it.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Way is a better Morrison than Morrison for my money

Way has never written anything as transcendent as Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery
    I do not like Flex Mentallo very much, personally

but Blank

he's the Hero of the Beach
    Once I set a towel down on the beach on top of a fire ant hill

Fuck the beach

This kinda seems like your fault

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    They've been trying to figure out what to do since they ran out of Harry Potter books. Someone is just staring at a Fantastic Beasts logo right now in a candlelit room trying to will people into a froth over it.

I kind of hate the harry potter story and really like the world so I'm on board

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbiQhAF-X3Y

Sharon Carter gets a fight scene!

OH MY GOD SHE FIGHTS BUCKY

OMGGGGGGGGGG

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I haven't seen any of the Hobbits since they were in theaters, and about the only thing I remember about them is that they actually kept some of the singing scenes from the book, and that I think Stephen Fry was running around at some point looking fairly annoyed.

Oh, and I remember being perplexed at why they ended the second one where they did, as it was inevitably going to make the beginning of the third one a little awkward (and I think that ended up happening if I remember right).

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The Hobbit is insanely well cast.

But it suffers from running purely off of goodwill of the source material. A bloated and unnecessary run time. A lot of awkward sequel set-up and unnecessary side-plot. A confused tone marred with unearned emotional catharsis. A cgi final act marred by death and violence in what's ostensibly an adaptation of a children's story And...ohmygod. The Hobbit trilogy is in the DCCU

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think you could cut a really good movie or two out of the Hobbit trilogy.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I think you could cut a really good movie or two out of the Hobbit trilogy.

get rid of the elves and it'd already be way more watchable

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Wait, I just remembered, wasn't Legolas in those movies somehow?

• Options
    I've seen one that's alright. 3 hours with nearly 2 of it being the first movie. It neeearly works. But how over-the-top and badly done the Battle of Five Armies is kind of a guaranteed at ending on a wet fart.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Lee Pace managed to chew so much scenery they had to fix his jaw afterwards

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q69yl9a4QPg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gz3I7HCsMOU

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I wonder if one of the reasons they didn't point out that Sharon is Sharon Carter in Winter Soldier is because... well, that's kinda fucked up, right?

Like, Peggy is still alive! And they're related! That's pretty weird!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I wonder if one of the reasons they didn't point out that Sharon is Sharon Carter in Winter Soldier is because... well, that's kinda fucked up, right?

Like, Peggy is still alive! And they're related! That's pretty weird!

For me, I honestly think they didn't want to spare screen time for it because Cap would certainly have had a believable reaction to that, and it would have just added unnecessary tertiary plot points to the movie. They knew at the time that they had another Cap movie for that to come to the fore, so why not just show her as a competent SHIELD agent and introduce her as a Carter later?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Evangeline Lily's character in the Hobbit was ridiculously non-essential, but I think she was really good anyways?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    agent 13 barely had a role in winter soldier

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    At least 75% of the Hobbit movies was non-essential unfortunately.

But yeah. Acting wise she did pretty cool.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »

I kind of hate the harry potter story and really like the world so I'm on board

I've found that this is the case for me and a lot of things. I tend to like McGuffin nonsense lore way more than the stories people are attempting to tell around the lore. I didn't really care about any of the characters on Buffy (with one or two exceptions) but I love the universe. Explain to me in explicit detail how werewolves operate in this world. What kills them, etc? Tell me more about the 11th century coven that imbued the Chalice of Thokgrangh with the power to grant immortality to the blah blah blah. I lap it up.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Frankly, it's kind of amazing that the Hobbit movies came out at all, given all the shit that happened when they were trying to make them. I mean, I don't think the problems with those movies could be traced back to those issues, but still

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Evangeline Lily's character in the Hobbit was ridiculously non-essential, but I think she was really good anyways?

She was literally there because the movie is 99.9% dudes, which okay, at least you have a reason for doing this.

But then they fuck it up by making her a love interest to not one, but TWO people.

Way to miss the point, guys.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    it's not uncommon to shoot way more than you end up using

with the hobbit they just... used all of it with little regard for editing

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Frankly, it's kind of amazing that the Hobbit movies came out at all, given all the shit that happened when they were trying to make them. I mean, I don't think the problems with those movies could be traced back to those issues, but still

I don't know, I think you can connect plenty of dots there

I'm sort of amazed they acknowledged some of that in the behind-the-scenes stuff, it was really eye-opening

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I think they should have just made some of the dwarf company ladies.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    There's no way in hell Christopher Tolkien will ever approve another live action adaptation of his dad's work anyway and I'm pretty sure he made it a legal nightmare to do so after his death?

• Options
    I think they can technically still make movies set in Middle Earth that reference material from the Hobbit/LoTR or create wholly new things ala Shadow of Mordor.

Not that they really should. But that's never stopped anyone ever before.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016

She was literally there because the movie is 99.9% dudes, which okay, at least you have a reason for doing this.

But then they fuck it up by making her a love interest to not one, but TWO people.

Way to miss the point, guys.

Lilly signed onto the Hobbit movies only because they promised her that wouldn't be a love interest, and then they shittily jammed that subplot in afterwards in reshoots due to focus tests and she was pissed.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Did Chris Tolkein ever watch the Hobbit films? Man I can't even imagine how mad he'd be.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It really seems like a combination of not giving the production enough time to get ready (LotR had yeras; the Hobbit had months after they dumped all the stuff Del Toro did) and Peter Jackson getting dragged into the director's chair after he was very public about not wanting to go through that bullshit again.

And then they split the movie into three instead of two, so a lot of the dumb bullshit that should have gotten cut instead got to stick around.

• Options
    The split to three movies had to due with Peter Jackson running out of time on planning and plotting the final battle right?

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

A trailer that's just about how many cool ladies are in this movie? Not bad.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

a tiny voice in my brain is all like "yeah but it's only 3 women and they're all white"

but it's being shouted down by OH GOD EMILY VANCAMP FIGHT SCENE

• Options
    what if peggy carter is modok

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Who's the cat

I like his look

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    agent 13 barely had a role in winter soldier

Yes but she gets a damn good scene with "send up those ships" and a nice little bit in the ending montage to signal that, hey - this lady is gonna stick around

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i would not be surprised if the studio pressured the hobbit to get made because of fears that their wizards could die at any moment

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    hey where's maria hill in all this

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

a tiny voice in my brain is all like "yeah but it's only 3 women and they're all white"

but it's being shouted down by OH GOD EMILY VANCAMP FIGHT SCENE

it's all i was waiting for all of winter soldier

she is a master of revenge

she trained with shang tsung on revenge island!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Lee Pace managed to chew so much scenery they had to fix his jaw afterwards

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q69yl9a4QPg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gz3I7HCsMOU

He was so wasted with the gotg script not giving him anything to work with

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.