As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is a Thread About [Superheroes]

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Justin Kroll says that Michael Keaton dropped out of Spider-Man because he was asking for a pretty big chunk of change and after RDJ officially signed on they could no longer afford him.

I'm surprised it took RDJ, Keaton doesn't strike me as a "big chunk of change" get for a movie. I'd have imagined the casting conversation would have gone like "Let's get Michael Keaton." "He wants a lot of money." "OK, let's not."

The man was the star of the last two Best Picture winners

Michael Keaton is one of the top prestige actors now

Yeah, but in those two years he was also in Minions and Need For Speed.

I dunno, neither Birdman nor Spotlight struck me as Michael Keaton movies, but if he can get that kind of moolah now then go for it.

movies starring michael keaton did not strike you as michael keaton movies?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    51xwKalLv-L._SX200_QL80_.jpg
    The movie with this cover art isn't "a Michael Keaton movie?"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Justin Kroll says that Michael Keaton dropped out of Spider-Man because he was asking for a pretty big chunk of change and after RDJ officially signed on they could no longer afford him.

I'm surprised it took RDJ, Keaton doesn't strike me as a "big chunk of change" get for a movie. I'd have imagined the casting conversation would have gone like "Let's get Michael Keaton." "He wants a lot of money." "OK, let's not."

The man was the star of the last two Best Picture winners

Michael Keaton is one of the top prestige actors now

Yeah, but in those two years he was also in Minions and Need For Speed.

I dunno, neither Birdman nor Spotlight struck me as Michael Keaton movies, but if he can get that kind of moolah now then go for it.

Birdman wasn't a Michael Keaton movie to you?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Another leading question?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The Inhumans are gonna be the first really big continuity stumbling block for the MCU, I think

They've been built as a big enough issue in AoS that they can't just act like no one knew about them, but they also probably aren't going to build a movie around the Inhuman plot from AoS so it is a very tricky situation

you just need to include the concept that stray inhumans outside of attilan have existed for a long time and been widely noticed in the past few years, you don't need to go into detail on the events of agents of shield

when medusa is talking to the UN or whatever and they mention how inhumans have been a threat she can say that they do not represent attilan

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    also tentpole summer movies always try to rope in prestige actors to add credibility to their stuff

hell that's the entire mcu strategy regarding their films' supporting casts

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    also tentpole summer movies always try to rope in prestige actors to add credibility to their stuff

hell that's the entire mcu strategy regarding their films' supporting casts

They got Robert Redford in one of their movies

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    You know, I watched Winter Soldier again a couple nights ago
    And as cool as it is that they got him to be in it, he is not super invested in being there

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    You know, I watched Winter Soldier again a couple nights ago
    And as cool as it is that they got him to be in it, he is not super invested in being there
    Yeah, but he still did a pretty good job

He could have REALLY phoned it in

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Birdman felt like an Inarritu movie the same way that, say, Antichrist felt like a Lars von Trier movie. Keaton was a big part of it, obviously, but between him and Inarritu, it seemed like only one of them were absolutely necessary for that movie to be made.

Spotlight was an ensemble cast and, granted, I haven't actually seen it but it didn't come off as a Michael Keaton vehicle (none of the acting nominations were his, for instance).

I'm not saying he was bad in those movies or anything, they just didn't strike me as the sort of movies that elevates someone into the Hollywood top tier.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It's probably pretty telling that even when Redford doesn't really care, he has like, a base level of charisma and good acting that still comes through

• Options
    at least he didn't literally fall asleep on set and force the writers to write around it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Another leading question?

A Talking Cat!?!

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    so the writer of Doctor Strange gave his argument on why casting Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One was the right choice

he says the character of the Ancient One is "Marvel's Kobayashi Maru, it all comes down to which way you're willing to lose"

https://youtu.be/eEpbUf8dGq0

starts at 17:54

well ain't he got a belly fulla fire

I thought he was making a pretty good argument until he started talking about how he knew "the social justice warriors would be angry either way"

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The Inhumans are gonna be the first really big continuity stumbling block for the MCU, I think

They've been built as a big enough issue in AoS that they can't just act like no one knew about them, but they also probably aren't going to build a movie around the Inhuman plot from AoS so it is a very tricky situation

I mean, we're talking about 2019 if not 2020. If Fiege does wind up with the CEO position, we'll probably see a unification of Marvels' TV and film endeavors. Especially since it'll be post Infinity War which has to at least have some acknowledgement of the full MCU.

But, if not, they can kinda gloss over things depending on how the story goes.

All they need to explain is Inhuman descendants + Terrigen = Inhumans and that the number of inhumans has exponentially increased due to Terrigen contaminating the Earth. You don't need to explain specifically that a splinter branch of SHIELD fought some Inhuman extremists and knocked their magic transformation crystals into the ocean where they contaminated some fish, which got eaten by the populace and started making Inhumans pop up everywhere.

Just "This is what makes inhumans, there are now a lot of inhumans."
    Mvrck wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    AoS
    "I've met gods. Gods bleed."

Damn, Coulson

But the last time Coulson met a god, he was the one bleeding.
    Even more accurate, he literally had his hands inside the Professor/Exiled Asgardian manually pumping his heart to keep him alive.
    That was Season 1, he met Sif later in Season 1 and then again in Season 2.

Also I'm not sure the professor was a god; I think he was just an Asgardian dude. I don't think there was a "Nobody the Stonecutter" in Norse myth.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    wait so let me make sure I've got this sorted out

casting a tibetan person as a tibetan character would be bad, because asserting tibet's identity would alienate china's money

making the ancient one not tibetan would be bad, because it erases his history

casting a chinese person as a tibetan character would be bad, because it's racistly conflating nationalities, particularly between two nationalities with some rather strained political relationships

and also no matter what you do, you still have the fundamental story of dr strange's origin being a white man adopting exotic asian magic to become a savior

so the way they decided to lose was to just go with an actress they really liked, tilda swinton

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    That's the long and short of it i suppose

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the one solution he doesn't address there is not casting Strange as a white person and making the Ancient One Nepalese instead of Tibetan

which I think would have probably been the smartest solution in terms of the racial dynamics

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

"nobody knew except the characters on Agents of Shield and nobody knows who those people are"
    They've had the President of the United States deliver a public address to the nation on the Inhuman situation

It isn't a secret thing

That they exist as a group of random superpowered unaligned individuals isn't a secret thing, but if they have Medusa and Blackbolt leading a whole advanced society of inhumans that will be a surprise.
    Yeah but by the time Inhumans comes out they will have been an established thing in the MCU for 4-5 years

Like, the issue comes from the movies not acknowledging AoS or any TV stuff at all

Which is understandable because they cast a far wider net than the TV audience of the shows and need to stand on their own

So they either are going to have to go HEY YEAH HOW ABOUT THOSE DOZENS AND DOZENS OF SUPERHUMANS THAT HAVE BEEN POPPING UP FOR YEARS DUE TO ALIEN GENETIC TAMPERING EARLY IN HUMAN HISTORY and blindside the movie audience or just ignore what AoS has done

The movie Push seemed to pull it off.
    Push isn't part of an ongoing universe that has been going for 8 years and will have cleared a decade by then

Audiences don't need everything spoon fed to them but it would be pretty weird for there to be a whole alien superhuman crisis that has been going on for years to be introduced without being mentioned or set up in any other film before it

Having a nation of Superhumans suddenly appear would definitely count as something new and different from a bunch of otherwise unconnected people gaining powers in roughly the same manner. Right now the inhumans are just an acceleration of what was already happening in the MCU.

It's something they've been building up since Iron Man 2, this idea that there are a bunch of people who were getting powers and weird events happening behind the scene and SHIELD was only just managing to keep a lid on it. They also built it up in Winter Soldier. Just having a bunch of people undergoing terrigenesis isn't a drastic change to that status quo, it just means that there are more of them.

But having a group of superhumans declare that not only are they their own nation, but they're fully capable of defending themselves, is basically the worst case scenario for the various countries right now. Not even touching on the idea of a millennia old secret nation is basically a conspiracy theory bananza.

People with powers, not a secret or something new. An ancient hidden nation that is made up a superpowered individuals and with advanced technology is definitely a secret still and is something new.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I mean, you could also just not do the origin story for Dr. Strange.

You could tell a story starting some point after this significant event in his life! Like 99.9999% of the best stories in comic books!

God damn am I tired of origin stories.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    You'd have to cover some part of his origin because the vast majority of people don't know anything about Dr Strange

Doesn't mean it had to be an origin story per se, but you at least need to cover why he knows magic

• Options
    he is a wizard

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    he is a wizard
    True, but a very important part of Strange's character is that he wasn't always a wizard, or even a very good person

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2016
    D is for Darkhawk - inks

8jlq0sp2s2bj.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    at least he didn't literally fall asleep on set and force the writers to write around it

Why do I have the feeling this is a Marlon Brando story?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Kind of hoping E is for Eternity, just because I bet DMAC can draw a pretty awesome Eternity.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Poor D-Man, even Darkhawk can get an alphabet picture before he can :rotate:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    E is for Ego, the Living Planet.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    predicted that shit ages ago, p-dorf
    after much deliberation, this would be my marvel a to z

a is for american eagle
    b is for bi-beast
    c is for cardiac
    d is for daimon hellstrom
    e is for ego the living planet
    f is for forbrush man
    g is for ghost rider 2099
    h is for hardcore
    i is for ice wizard
    j is for jack of hearts
    k is for killpower
    l is for lady octopus
    m is for man-thing
    n is for nfl superpro
    o is for obnoxio the clown
    p is for phantom rider
    q is for quasimodo
    r is for red ronin
    s is for scarlet spider
    t is for the thumper
    u is for us-1
    v is for the vanisher
    w is for wendigo
    x is for x-man
    y is for yetrigar
    z is for zippermouth

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    D is for Darkhawk - inks

8jlq0sp2s2bj.jpg

So was your expression for this one "wearing a motorcycle helmet"? :rotate:

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    D is for Darkhawk - inks

8jlq0sp2s2bj.jpg

It'll look better once colored in.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    D is for Darkhawk - inks

8jlq0sp2s2bj.jpg

He put on his best Stig face.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If you can't tell his expression then you're not a real Darkhawk fan.

(PS, he's smiling.)

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

a is for american eagle
    b is for bi-beast
    c is for cardiac
    f is for forbrush man
    h is for hardcore
    i is for ice wizard
    j is for jack of hearts
    k is for killpower
    l is for lady octopus
    m is for man-thing
    n is for nfl superpro
    p is for phantom rider
    q is for quasimodo
    r is for red ronin
    s is for scarlet spider
    t is for the thumper
    u is for us-1
    v is for the vanisher
    w is for wendigo
    x is for x-man
    y is for yetrigar
    z is for zippermouth

Except your list was facetious! I would love to see Egon the Living Ghostbuster Planet.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

a is for american eagle
    b is for bi-beast
    c is for cardiac
    f is for forbrush man
    h is for hardcore
    i is for ice wizard
    j is for jack of hearts
    k is for killpower
    l is for lady octopus
    m is for man-thing
    n is for nfl superpro
    p is for phantom rider
    q is for quasimodo
    r is for red ronin
    s is for scarlet spider
    t is for the thumper
    u is for us-1
    v is for the vanisher
    w is for wendigo
    x is for x-man
    y is for yetrigar
    z is for zippermouth

Except your list was facetious! I would love to see Egon the Living Ghostbuster Planet.

It's, uh, too late for that I'm afraid.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    he is a wizard
    True, but a very important part of Strange's character is that he wasn't always a wizard, or even a very good person

Definitely! But you know what? You could address that via characterization of Dr. Strange or the way people interact with him. There's no need to show the crash, show the hands, show the Ancient One, show the learning of magic, etc. You don't need to have a crawl on the bottom saying "this was a significant moment, where he was humbled and now he's nice even though he used to be mean".

You can legit just have the movie start with him being Sorcerer Supreme, and have the conflict arise out of that.

The thing I hate about origin stories is that the fucking "normal, crisis, weird thing, learn to use weird thing, villain conflict" formula means we get incredibly samey stories with about 3 minutes worth of final conflict with a barely sketched villain.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    you know, I think one odd thing about the Doctor Strange trailer I haven't seen people commenting on yet is that Tilda Swinton appears to be wearing fairly modern, even sort of futuristic, fabric/clothing. It kind of looks like a costume a guest star on Star Trek would wear. What's up with that, I wonder?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    you know, I think one odd thing about the Doctor Strange trailer I haven't seen people commenting on yet is that Tilda Swinton appears to be wearing fairly modern, even sort of futuristic, fabric/clothing. It kind of looks like a costume a guest star on Star Trek would wear. What's up with that, I wonder?

She provided her own wardrobe.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I bought Thors and All New Captain America Hydra Ascendant.

This discussion has been closed.