As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is a Thread About [Superheroes]

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I bought Thors and All New Captain America Hydra Ascendant.

That's Remender's run on Sam, it's short and bleak, but the length works in its favour. It's also a crucible that shows why Sam is the right choice to be Captain America. Spencer's run draws on some stuff from it, although one part in particular gets ignored.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, the closest Barnes and Noble is a mess, and the sales people were clueless and rude.

I did tell a lady and her grandson, who were looking for a Hulk book for a six year old, about Marvel Adventures though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    D is for Darkhawk - pen and marker

70tsfbqdc8sy.jpg

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So the little mini-con in my town was pretty cool.

Ryan North is ridiculously tall, and gave a pretty cool presentation about the evolution of comics, and he signed my Squirrel Girl comics. Lots of other fun stuff there too.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So I'm watching Young Justice purely on the hype, I know nothing about it

Aqualad?

Kid Flash?

christ these names are gonna take some getting used to

as least "Robin" has its own identity

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Thankfully, they often call Aqualad by his actual name, since he doesn't have a secret identity.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I actually really like the name Aqualad

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    I just finished watching the series for the first time myself. Went in with low expectations, not really sure why, but came out really impressed with the end result, especially how they managed to throw in so many characters and continuity bits that worked so well with an original (as far as I know, at least), long-form story. Definitely hope Netflix asks for more seasons soon.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Lou29 wrote: »
    I just finished watching the series for the first time myself. Went in with low expectations, not really sure why, but came out really impressed with the end result, especially how they managed to throw in so many characters and continuity bits that worked so well with an original (as far as I know, at least), long-form story. Definitely hope Netflix asks for more seasons soon.

There are elements of several well known stories but its mostly original.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I know nothing about the comic version of Sportsmaster, but it's kind of hilarious that they made someone with that name a credible threat.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    One of my biggest wow moments, the dude with collapsible javelins and excessive hockey pads from old comics was on Deathstroke's level all of a sudden.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Sportsmaster is just Dark Casey Jones

• Options
    But I wouldn't expect Casey Jones to be able to do anything to the likes of Aqualad or Kid Flash.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I know nothing about the comic version of Sportsmaster, but it's kind of hilarious that they made someone with that name a credible threat.

Here he is in the Golden Age

Sportsmaster_main_h3.jpg

Yes, he is basically wearing a black handkerchief over his face, and not even in a normal way

Aside from that detail, he would change his outfit based on whatever sport he was using to commit his dastardly deeds

Sportsmaster_main_h5.jpg

Brooks_Huntress_h7.jpg

Here he is using his power of "has a wooden baseball bat" against the original Green Lantern

sportsmaster-vs-alan-scott.jpg

Joolander on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    does aqualad sit on a park bench

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    All characters can be cool if written correctly.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

Brooks_Huntress_h7.jpg
    This is actually one of the examples of the show taking bits from odder comic continuity
    I'll spoiler it since someone is watching it for the first time
    In the comics Sportsmaster (Lawrence "Crusher" Crock") married Huntress (Paula Brooks who previously used the name "Tigress"), and they had a kid named Artemis Crock who was a villain who went by Artemis and later went on to be Tigress.

In the show Sportsmaster (Lawrence "Crusher" Crock) had two kids with his ex-wife Huntress (Paula Nguyen), one of which was named Artemis Crock, who is the hero Artemis and who later goes by Tigress.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Artemis used the superhero name Artemis? Way to hide your secret identity, there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    So I watched Avengers 2 again, because I only saw it the one time and I wanted to get caught up on stuff for Civil War

And while I still quite liked it, it was a lot more cluttered and had poorer pacing than I remember! The bit in the farmhouse is still a delight, but... everything before and after that moves a mile a minute

I'm still unclear on a few things!
    Where was Jarvis again? He reappears and Tony is like "he was always there, he just fled instead of being destroyed" and I guess he was the one changing the nuclear launch codes? And then they want to put him into Vision because... because??? Ultron put the base stuff into his head and putting Jarvis in there will keep him from being homicidal??? And then Thor shows up and charges him up because he had that vision of the mind gem, and the mind gem leveling the entire world, and he thinks... waking up the robot man with the mind gem is a good thing because of that???

That whole scene has way too much going on. I get Tony's base motivation, and I get Steve's and everyone else's, but the plot details... just sort of fly by at the speed of sound

Still don't care about the whole Hawkeye's family kerfuffle, still think the death scene is way too cute and serves no real purpose, and ScarJo doesn't get enough to do... but Ultron is still my absolute favorite kind of villain, and every scene he's in he steals, and there's still enough going on character-wise and thematically that I still like the movie

But seeing it again made the flaws more apparent, especially going in with higher expectations than I did originally

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Olivaw wrote: »
    So I watched Avengers 2 again, because I only saw it the one time and I wanted to get caught up on stuff for Civil War

And while I still quite liked it, it was a lot more cluttered and had poorer pacing than I remember! The bit in the farmhouse is still a delight, but... everything before and after that moves a mile a minute

Where was Jarvis again? He reappears and Tony is like "he was always there, he just fled instead of being destroyed" and I guess he was the one changing the nuclear launch codes? And then they want to put him into Vision because... because??? Ultron put the base stuff into his head and putting Jarvis in there will keep him from being homicidal??? And then Thor shows up and charges him up because he had that vision of the mind gem, and the mind gem leveling the entire world, and he thinks... waking up the robot man with the mind gem is a good thing because of that???

That whole scene has way too much going on. I get Tony's base motivation, and I get Steve's and everyone else's, but the plot details... just sort of fly by at the speed of sound

Still don't care about the whole Hawkeye's family kerfuffle, still think the death scene is way too cute and serves no real purpose, and ScarJo doesn't get enough to do... but Ultron is still my absolute favorite kind of villain, and every scene he's in he steals, and there's still enough going on character-wise and thematically that I still like the movie

But seeing it again made the flaws more apparent, especially going in with higher expectations than I did originally

From what I remember
    Basically Ultron tries to kill JARVIS but only succeeds in disrupting his program, but even while in the disrupted state he's able to protect the nuclear codes, basically subconsciously. Tony figures that Ultron immediately tried killing JARVIS because he was afraid that JARVIS could defeat him, and his protection of the nuclear codes proves it. So once they got a hold of the vibranium body, Tony decides to upload JARVIS into it, believing that he JARVIS part would be stronger than the partially uploaded Ultron part and thus put this superpowerful robot body on their side.

I forget what (if anything) Thor specifically saw to make him want to activate Vision.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    All characters can be cool if written correctly.

except gambit

• Options
    He was good in his last solo series and X-Factor, so nope.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I have a weird love of Matter Eater Lad and wish he got used more often

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

thor had a vision of vision and activated vision so vision could help them out

Thor's vision is poorly done and needed another minute or two

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So we know Bleeding Cool has been pushing this supposed Perlmutter/Feige feud to ridiculous extremes, and it comes across as dubious at best

Well for what it's worth, Devin Faraci is saying the same thing, at least as an explanation for what's going on with Inhumans

On the one hand, Faraci's been reliable more often than not. On the other, I wouldn't be surprised if it still got made eventually

• Options
    That article does make an actually pretty interesting point, that if they're not making the movie, that frees SHIELD to do Black Bolt and Medusa and all that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Again, they moved the film because it was next to indiana jones 5

Fiege specifically said they're still making the damn movie.

• Options

That's what they said the first time

What's the reason now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    ...the same reason? It's understandable to change the production date of a movie you don't expect to be as successful as another one being made at the same time, even more than once.

I seriously do not get why everyone is getting so hung up on this goddamn Inhumans movie though. I've heard way more bullshit about it than any other upcoming MCU film.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

That's what they said the first time

What's the reason now

Actually the first time was to make room for Spider-Man. It hasn't been assigned a new date from the Indiana Jones 5 move yet, like most of Disney's 2019 line-up. (Seriously, they haven't even dated Episode 9 and we KNOW that's coming that year.)

• Options
    So do they just think Indiana Jones 5 will be in theaters for 8 months, then

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    ...the same reason? It's understandable to change the production date of a movie you don't expect to be as successful as another one being made at the same time, even more than once.

I seriously do not get why everyone is getting so hung up on this goddamn Inhumans movie though. I've heard way more bullshit about it than any other upcoming MCU film.

It's the furthest off so it's the easiest target as it's the most likely to change between now and then. Plus there's some resentment from some people about them being an X-Men replacement.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So do they just think Indiana Jones 5 will be in theaters for 8 months, then

Disney doesn't compete with Disney, they probably have the December slot saved for Star Wars movies until the sun goes out.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I got Howard the Duck as a birthday present! And a Spider-man t shirt!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm catching up on the Standoff stuff and I don't know if I like Spencer's weirdly quippy Maria Hill

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm catching up on the Standoff stuff and I don't know if I like Spencer's weirdly quippy Maria Hill

I think she's always been like that? She's a Bendis character

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think she's technically a Millar character but yeah she's always been pretty snarky

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Maria Hill made her debut in New Avengers, she's 100% a Bendis creation

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Now that Iron Fist is cast and definitely being made people need a new target.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
This discussion has been closed.