As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is a Thread About [Superheroes]

19495969799

Posts

  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    yo that Apocalypse movie looks cool

    Oscar Isaac had sold the ticket already

  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    or these could all be background easter eggs that mean nothing
    GoTG rumor
    Even in the context of them being background Easter Eggs, it still means that at some point it takes place back on Earth, which is interesting in and of itself.

    Jimothy
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    GotG2 Rumor
    The extent of my Wonder Man knowledge is that he was felled from blows from an unseen assailant, so Hercules had to steal someone's car.
    Ares.

    BionicPenguinMcFodder
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Maybe they only rip up the postcard parts of Sydney

    Have the comics ever had a mutant or other meta-human with phenomenal destructive powers, but only against iconic landmarks?
    Because I suddenly want one. They'd obliterate Mt Rushmore with a sneeze, but not be able to scratch the average unremarkable building.

    They'd be a villain with deep influence in the governing bodies that declare Historical Sites, to gradually spread their power. But their degree of influence over a specific location within that sphere of influence would be linked to the cultural prominence of the site. So they could make the Eiffel Tower explode so violently that the shockwave would push the moon out of orbit, but like the house that has a plaque on it that says Jimmy Carter lived there for part of his childhood, they could maybe give that building dry rot if they concentrated for a couple days.

    Name possibilities: The Monumenace? The Landmarksman?

    Name can't hint at what he does, because you need the 5-issue story arc about <SUPER TEAM> running around the world trying to chase down this terrifying new menace who's trying to intimidate nations into submission with massive displays of power, until ultimately they piece together enough clues to his secret and manage to engage him somewhere with no historical significance whatsoever - at which point he gets punched in the face once or twice and gives up.

    His return plot arc starts with the prison he's in being declared a landmark.

    Yes! He's just shopping at a Wal Mart, and Spider-man's there buying socks and he's like "Heeeeey... isn't that the guy? From the thing? At the place? OH CRAP", so he ducks into the dressing room and switches into his costume, and then busts out and fights the monument exploding guy!

    But the guy's not a total pushover! He's got a trenchcoat full of gimmick weapons made from tourist souvenirs. Like, throwing darts made from little Washington Monuments, and Leaning Tower of Pisa nunchucks, and a fencing foil with a handle that looks like the Space Needle, and he chucks little Pyramid-caltrops all over, but Spidey doesn't care because he's not touching the ground anyway.

    And then later Spidey has to break back into the Wal Mart, because he left his civilian clothes in a bundle webbed to the roof of the changing room, all his subway tokens are in his pockets, and he doesn't have enough web goo left to swing all the way back to his apartment.

    We don't use subway tokens in NYC anymore.

    Yeah but does New-York-616?

    We haven't used them for over a decade.

    b1ehrMM.gif
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Maybe they only rip up the postcard parts of Sydney

    Have the comics ever had a mutant or other meta-human with phenomenal destructive powers, but only against iconic landmarks?
    Because I suddenly want one. They'd obliterate Mt Rushmore with a sneeze, but not be able to scratch the average unremarkable building.

    They'd be a villain with deep influence in the governing bodies that declare Historical Sites, to gradually spread their power. But their degree of influence over a specific location within that sphere of influence would be linked to the cultural prominence of the site. So they could make the Eiffel Tower explode so violently that the shockwave would push the moon out of orbit, but like the house that has a plaque on it that says Jimmy Carter lived there for part of his childhood, they could maybe give that building dry rot if they concentrated for a couple days.

    Name possibilities: The Monumenace? The Landmarksman?

    Name can't hint at what he does, because you need the 5-issue story arc about <SUPER TEAM> running around the world trying to chase down this terrifying new menace who's trying to intimidate nations into submission with massive displays of power, until ultimately they piece together enough clues to his secret and manage to engage him somewhere with no historical significance whatsoever - at which point he gets punched in the face once or twice and gives up.

    His return plot arc starts with the prison he's in being declared a landmark.

    Yes! He's just shopping at a Wal Mart, and Spider-man's there buying socks and he's like "Heeeeey... isn't that the guy? From the thing? At the place? OH CRAP", so he ducks into the dressing room and switches into his costume, and then busts out and fights the monument exploding guy!

    But the guy's not a total pushover! He's got a trenchcoat full of gimmick weapons made from tourist souvenirs. Like, throwing darts made from little Washington Monuments, and Leaning Tower of Pisa nunchucks, and a fencing foil with a handle that looks like the Space Needle, and he chucks little Pyramid-caltrops all over, but Spidey doesn't care because he's not touching the ground anyway.

    And then later Spidey has to break back into the Wal Mart, because he left his civilian clothes in a bundle webbed to the roof of the changing room, all his subway tokens are in his pockets, and he doesn't have enough web goo left to swing all the way back to his apartment.

    We don't use subway tokens in NYC anymore.

    Yeah but does New-York-616?

    We haven't used them for over a decade.

    But what does that have to do with Earth-616?

    cdci44qazyo3.gif

  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    F is for Falcon - pen and marker

    7depvi39m9ru.jpg

    SnicketysnickOlivawOmnipotentBagelchromdomDedwrekkanicopernicusZonugalDevlin_DragonuspookaDarkPrimusmxmarksEtchwartsThe JudgeNaphtaliAndy JoeChallBucketmanGonmunCrippl3HermanoLalaboxGarlic BreadDouglasDangerTransporterToxArdolMoth 13VeldrinJoolandersarukunJimothyRingoStilts
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Maybe they only rip up the postcard parts of Sydney

    Have the comics ever had a mutant or other meta-human with phenomenal destructive powers, but only against iconic landmarks?
    Because I suddenly want one. They'd obliterate Mt Rushmore with a sneeze, but not be able to scratch the average unremarkable building.

    They'd be a villain with deep influence in the governing bodies that declare Historical Sites, to gradually spread their power. But their degree of influence over a specific location within that sphere of influence would be linked to the cultural prominence of the site. So they could make the Eiffel Tower explode so violently that the shockwave would push the moon out of orbit, but like the house that has a plaque on it that says Jimmy Carter lived there for part of his childhood, they could maybe give that building dry rot if they concentrated for a couple days.

    Name possibilities: The Monumenace? The Landmarksman?

    Name can't hint at what he does, because you need the 5-issue story arc about <SUPER TEAM> running around the world trying to chase down this terrifying new menace who's trying to intimidate nations into submission with massive displays of power, until ultimately they piece together enough clues to his secret and manage to engage him somewhere with no historical significance whatsoever - at which point he gets punched in the face once or twice and gives up.

    His return plot arc starts with the prison he's in being declared a landmark.

    Yes! He's just shopping at a Wal Mart, and Spider-man's there buying socks and he's like "Heeeeey... isn't that the guy? From the thing? At the place? OH CRAP", so he ducks into the dressing room and switches into his costume, and then busts out and fights the monument exploding guy!

    But the guy's not a total pushover! He's got a trenchcoat full of gimmick weapons made from tourist souvenirs. Like, throwing darts made from little Washington Monuments, and Leaning Tower of Pisa nunchucks, and a fencing foil with a handle that looks like the Space Needle, and he chucks little Pyramid-caltrops all over, but Spidey doesn't care because he's not touching the ground anyway.

    And then later Spidey has to break back into the Wal Mart, because he left his civilian clothes in a bundle webbed to the roof of the changing room, all his subway tokens are in his pockets, and he doesn't have enough web goo left to swing all the way back to his apartment.

    We don't use subway tokens in NYC anymore.

    Yeah but does New-York-616?

    We haven't used them for over a decade.

    But what does that have to do with Earth-616?

    That Earth-616 generally matches the aesthetics of modernity? Like, you don't see CRTs anymore in 616 either.

    b1ehrMM.gif
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So Bleeding Cool says that the Standoff teaser isn't a return of an existing hero it is
    Agent Kincaid becoming the new Quasar

    Which sounds pretty plausible to me given
    how much screen time she's gotten in the event and the fact that Wendell hasn't shown up in years

    CYpGAPn.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Maybe they only rip up the postcard parts of Sydney

    Have the comics ever had a mutant or other meta-human with phenomenal destructive powers, but only against iconic landmarks?
    Because I suddenly want one. They'd obliterate Mt Rushmore with a sneeze, but not be able to scratch the average unremarkable building.

    They'd be a villain with deep influence in the governing bodies that declare Historical Sites, to gradually spread their power. But their degree of influence over a specific location within that sphere of influence would be linked to the cultural prominence of the site. So they could make the Eiffel Tower explode so violently that the shockwave would push the moon out of orbit, but like the house that has a plaque on it that says Jimmy Carter lived there for part of his childhood, they could maybe give that building dry rot if they concentrated for a couple days.

    Name possibilities: The Monumenace? The Landmarksman?

    Name can't hint at what he does, because you need the 5-issue story arc about <SUPER TEAM> running around the world trying to chase down this terrifying new menace who's trying to intimidate nations into submission with massive displays of power, until ultimately they piece together enough clues to his secret and manage to engage him somewhere with no historical significance whatsoever - at which point he gets punched in the face once or twice and gives up.

    His return plot arc starts with the prison he's in being declared a landmark.

    Yes! He's just shopping at a Wal Mart, and Spider-man's there buying socks and he's like "Heeeeey... isn't that the guy? From the thing? At the place? OH CRAP", so he ducks into the dressing room and switches into his costume, and then busts out and fights the monument exploding guy!

    But the guy's not a total pushover! He's got a trenchcoat full of gimmick weapons made from tourist souvenirs. Like, throwing darts made from little Washington Monuments, and Leaning Tower of Pisa nunchucks, and a fencing foil with a handle that looks like the Space Needle, and he chucks little Pyramid-caltrops all over, but Spidey doesn't care because he's not touching the ground anyway.

    And then later Spidey has to break back into the Wal Mart, because he left his civilian clothes in a bundle webbed to the roof of the changing room, all his subway tokens are in his pockets, and he doesn't have enough web goo left to swing all the way back to his apartment.

    We don't use subway tokens in NYC anymore.

    Yeah but does New-York-616?

    We haven't used them for over a decade.

    But what does that have to do with Earth-616?

    That Earth-616 generally matches the aesthetics of modernity? Like, you don't see CRTs anymore in 616 either.

    Okay swap the tokens for the 30-day unlimited Metrocard he just bought like yesterday.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    TrippyJingDesert Leviathan
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there was that (secret) mutant congressman during fear itself who somehow animates various DC historical landmarks and has them fight hydra

    but 1) he was a good guy and 2) a one-off thing

    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Bleeding Cool says that the Standoff teaser isn't a return of an existing hero it is
    Agent Kincaid becoming the new Quasar

    Which sounds pretty plausible to me given
    how much screen time she's gotten in the event and the fact that Wendell hasn't shown up in years

    It really makes me curious if
    they're going to reveal that Wendell is retired or dead or something

    why else would SHIELD have some Quantum Bands in a vault

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Centipede Damascus on
    Bucketman
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Bleeding Cool says that the Standoff teaser isn't a return of an existing hero it is
    Agent Kincaid becoming the new Quasar

    Which sounds pretty plausible to me given
    how much screen time she's gotten in the event and the fact that Wendell hasn't shown up in years

    It really makes me curious if
    they're going to reveal that Wendell is retired or dead or something

    why else would SHIELD have some Quantum Bands in a vault
    Could be that they tried to replicate them using Kobik or that she isn't even using the Quantum Bands and has another power source

    Wendell became Quasar when the SHIELD base he was at got attacked by an enemy force and he had to use the bands to help save the day so it would make sense for them to try and replicate that success or just serve as an appropriately similar origin for a new Quasar

    CYpGAPn.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Bleeding Cool says that the Standoff teaser isn't a return of an existing hero it is
    Agent Kincaid becoming the new Quasar

    Which sounds pretty plausible to me given
    how much screen time she's gotten in the event and the fact that Wendell hasn't shown up in years
    Is this event her first appearance or has she been seen around before?

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So Bleeding Cool says that the Standoff teaser isn't a return of an existing hero it is
    Agent Kincaid becoming the new Quasar

    Which sounds pretty plausible to me given
    how much screen time she's gotten in the event and the fact that Wendell hasn't shown up in years
    Is this event her first appearance or has she been seen around before?
    Her first appearance, I believe. She seems like a new character and hasn't shown up in any of Spencer's other books.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, next month's Avengers Academy event is Civil War themed

    If they make Black Panther or Winter Soldier the Groot-esque basically impossible to get unless you spend a ton of money character I will be

    Well

    Mildly annoyed I guess

    CYpGAPn.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    one day you'll break free of its siren song, before you are lost below the waves

    BucketmanZonugalStilts
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

    Luke Cage teaser, I guess?

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Why do you say that?

  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Why do you say that?

    The watercolor style, from what we can see, is a lot like Jessica Jones's poster

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It is for a comic series, not a TV thing so probably not

    CYpGAPn.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Doesn't look like Mike Colter's nose to me.

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Also I doubt Luke Cage uses the same motif as Jessica Jones

    It has been described as very different than either it or Daredevil and the whole washed out Purple and White color scheme is very Jessica Jones centric

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    The aforementioned GOTG 2 set photos:
    There are closeups of these around as well

    SIGaFVw.jpg

    One of them is a Tony Stark biopic

    siO2uuR.jpg

    Ha.
    Nathan Fillion playing Simon Williams playing Tony Stark would be something to behold.

    What the fuck does this have to do with Guardians though?

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    GotG 2
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the posters were the only thing Fillion shows up in

    He's Gunn's buddy and loves doing goofy cameos in his movies, he was the alien that Groot and Rocket intimidate after arriving on Knowhere in the first film

    It having a scene on Earth in the seeming present day is very interesting though

    CYpGAPn.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Most likely;
    Chasing infinity stones to keep them from Thanos.

    Going after the one in Strange's locket?

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Most likely;
    Chasing infinity stones to keep them from Thanos.

    Going after the one in Strange's locket?
    Thanos is not in GotG 2

    CYpGAPn.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Most likely;
    Chasing infinity stones to keep them from Thanos.

    Going after the one in Strange's locket?
    Thanos is not in GotG 2
    Let me rephrase that, hunting down remaining stones, to safeguard them like they did the Reality stone.

    Space is still on Asgard, so kind of out of their reach.
    Reality is hidden by the collector on Knowhere, so they probably can't find it.
    Mind stone is on Vision, and he isn't cast from what I see. So probably not him.
    Power they already gave to Nova corps.

    Soul stone is ??? - Strange's locket?
    Time stone is ???

    I guess they could end up finding the time stone? That could explain possible time shifts?

  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Possible other Infinity Stones
    I seem to recall... Feige? hinting that Strange's amulet has some weird time shit, but I could be wrong

    Grey Ghost on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    Most likely;
    Chasing infinity stones to keep them from Thanos.

    Going after the one in Strange's locket?
    Thanos is not in GotG 2
    Let me rephrase that, hunting down remaining stones, to safeguard them like they did the Reality stone.

    Space is still on Asgard, so kind of out of their reach.
    Reality is hidden by the collector on Knowhere, so they probably can't find it.
    Mind stone is on Vision, and he isn't cast from what I see. So probably not him.
    Power they already gave to Nova corps.

    Soul stone is ??? - Strange's locket?
    Time stone is ???

    I guess they could end up finding the time stone? That could explain possible time shifts?
    Honestly I doubt it revolves around another Infinity Stone

    It's a little too similar to the first film and they will probably cover that ground in Infinity War more than GotG 2, especially with confirmation that the Guardians are in IW

    CYpGAPn.png
    Morkath
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2016
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Possible other Infinity Stones
    I seem to recall... Feige? hinting that Strange's amulet has some weird time shit, but I could be wrong
    Yeah, although I have found that weird, since I have never recalled Strange really dealing with Time travel. Space or Soul has always seemed like the most thematically appropriate for him. (He even had the Soul one for awhile in the comics.)

    Feige quote;
    "...the Eye is a very important relic that can be quite dangerous if used in the wrong hands, because it has the ability to do any number of things, the most dangerous of which is, it can sort of manipulate probabilities. Which is also another way of saying, ‘screw around with time’..."

    Morkath on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Dr Strange
    I could totally be down with the Eye of Agamotto being the Time gem. The MCU has taken a lot of liberties with the source material so maybe his magic is more about probability than straight up mystic stuff.

    Like, a more grounded magic type. I'm keen to see how they fold magic into the existing MCU. The Asgardians are the closest to actually being magical and even they handwave that as advanced science.

    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Why
    Why do I like Avengers Academy

    JoolanderThe JudgeMcFodder
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Why
    Why do I like Avengers Academy
    Yes

    Join me

    CYpGAPn.png
    Joolander
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Join us

    Librarian's ghostBlankZoeTrippyJingBear_thescondCrippl3JoolanderCururu
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Don't make me get the hose, you guys!

  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Okay I should be able to unlock Rocket but no way on Groot. I can only get past level two pf the ronan fight.

    Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork


  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Where's the best place to get cheap ass trades? I've read half price books is good but I'm not driving two states over.

    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    personally the most infuriating part of the limited events isn't not being able to unlock everyone, it's not being able to fully upgrade everyone you do unlock

    Crippl3
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Where's the best place to get cheap ass trades? I've read half price books is good but I'm not driving two states over.

    If you don't mind ordering online, I used cheapgraphicnovels.com for ages; though I haven't ordered from them in ages.

    Lou29
This discussion has been closed.