As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Summer Sale is overrrrrr

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
edited July 2016 in Social Entropy++
Steam is the leading digital distribution storefront for PC games. The company that made it is also famous for some other things, like hats, turning successful mods into financially successful full-fledged games, backing one of the current 3 consumer VR solutions, and not making half life 3. It's still a bit early to talk about E3 but my early prediction is that they will definitely announce, with regards to half life 3, the sound an ellipses represents again this year.

I decided to order a steam controller the other day. Anyone with experience buying physical items through steam know if if they give you tracking numbers? I suppose if it does give a tracking number it will probably show up after the order status changes from "shipping soon" to "shipped."

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Finally a place to discuss Civil War era warships.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    were they transitioning to steam-powered paddleships yet by the time of the civil war? My gut says they were still mainly using sailing ships with some experimentation with iron-armored steam ships.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The Monitor was a Union ironclad. It faced another ironclad, the Merrimac, in a fairly well-known battle.

that's about all I could pull out of my memory, though.

edit: wasn't positive that Merrimac was an ironclad, but wiki reassured me.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Yes the Monitor and the Merrimac were what I was primarily thinking of. I did a report on them in high school and think they're pretty neat

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    huh

apparently Merrimac has a k on the end. Who knew!

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Hyper Light Drifter finally hooked me, I think.
    In the northern region, one of the thingies that's marked on the map nearly drove me insane. I was at the place, but I couldn't do anything, I just heard weird sounds, and saw weird symbols that I did not know how to interpret, because the game tells you NOTHING. Urgh.
    So I gave up and went east, and while I probably missed a bunch of stuff, I now offed the boss to the east, and the one to the west.

Still no idea what that shit in the north is about though.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I think it is time for a break from Civ

I am going to play through Farcry 4 before finally getting started on Endless Legend!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Karl's in progress review of Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Ep1

I like the combat more. It feels like the guns do more damage, even though you have less ammo. Its forcing me to use plasmids much more than I previously did.

The combat just seems more tense as you know you do not have the ammo reserves or shield/health to last in a protracted gun fight.

• Options
    I remember really liking stealth in Burial at Sea.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    In the northern region, one of the thingies that's marked on the map nearly drove me insane. I was at the place, but I couldn't do anything, I just heard weird sounds, and saw weird symbols that I did not know how to interpret, because the game tells you NOTHING. Urgh.
    So I gave up and went east, and while I probably missed a bunch of stuff, I now offed the boss to the east, and the one to the west.

there's a bunch of shit you likely won't be able to access until the endgame

it's easier to just keep exploring to find the minimum you need to complete the area, and then pick a new area to explore

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

it's easier to just keep exploring to find the minimum you need to complete the area, and then pick a new area to explore

Yeah I beat the north stuff by now. Still though, I think the game could communicate a few things better

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Mr. G wrote: »

dancing on it's grave!

Psyonix will be fine too BTW they did Rocket League after all. It's probably doing far better for them.

I doubt we'll ever see another Legacy of Kain game again but, well, at least there wont be this dumb FTP whale hunting garbage multiplayer shooter pretending to be one.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm not surprised.

It's a bit unfortunate because in all honesty it was not a bad multiplayer shooter at all.

It just wasn't well supported, had a not great f2p, and used a license that made no sense for the type of game it was.

Still it was decently fun to play for a time.

Also when your other game is Rocket League, yeah... why waste time on Nosgoth.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    The game would have been way better without the LoK name attached.

They could spread their wings more and honestly do more cool crazy stuff with it and it would have had a wider appeal without it.

Like Square Enix really hamstrung that game by continuing to call it a Legacy of Kain game, rather than just let Psyonix take the ball and run.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Yeah I beat the north stuff by now. Still though, I think the game could communicate a few things better

Yeah the game goes out of its way to tell you as little as possible. There aren't that many paths you can actually take so you can usually intuit what needs to happen next, but heaven help you if you took a wrong turn somewhere.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    The Monitor was a Union ironclad. It faced another ironclad, the Merrimac, in a fairly well-known battle.

that's about all I could pull out of my memory, though.

edit: wasn't positive that Merrimac was an ironclad, but wiki reassured me.

The Battle of Hampton Roads

• Options
    edited April 2016

Yeah the game goes out of its way to tell you as little as possible. There aren't that many paths you can actually take so you can usually intuit what needs to happen next, but heaven help you if you took a wrong turn somewhere.

Some sort of indication whether you've cleared out an area or not would be nice, for example. Just tell me how many doodads are left in each section, urgh.

e: and if you're not going to mark things on the map at all, game, give me the option to do so myself. As if I will remember where all the locked doors are

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Dark Souls 3 preloading is now open, I'm positively vibrating with excitement

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Karl's final review of Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Ep 1
    Well.....that was fucking sad. Turns out I was an even more awful version of Comstock who actually killed the baby. Then got my mind wiped and sent to a Bioshock universe where Anna didn't exist.

Death by big daddy impalement was pretty violent

All in all, I liked the change in pace (less amoo, more tense combat but the sheer misery of the whole thing is beginning to wear thin

Karl on
  • Options
    Dark Souls 3 preloading is now open, I'm positively vibrating with excitement

I should really complete DS1. And get DS2. Hrm.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Ah yes, I forgot about Farcry's "save" system. Checkpoints are not saves once you exit the game, and "Save and Exit" from the menu does not save jack shit.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    yay my steam controller has a tracking number finally
    looks like it will probably get here about a 8 days after I ordered it, that's not TOO bad
    only question is for the 3 days between when DS3 releases and when the controller gets here, do I want to jump through the annoying hoops to get a dualshock 3 working, use KBAM, or just wait to start the game for 3 d... pffffft yeah right like I'm gonna wait.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    here is my enter the gungeon review:

mostly good game, is a bit too resource-scarce to really hook me forever the way something like isaac did - in particular, leaving chests unopened is more common than the alternative, which i find unpreferable

basically my only quibble, but it is an issue that stretches through the entire game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Ah yes, I forgot about Farcry's "save" system. Checkpoints are not saves once you exit the game, and "Save and Exit" from the menu does not save jack shit.

I mean, I haven't played Farcry 4. But if it's anything like Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerrilla, or Saints Row 3

It saves all sorts of things! Completed missions, story progression, world state, and collectibles. It absolutely doesn't dump you back to the actual beginning

the only thing it doesn't save is last player position. While I'm not terribly sure why that's the case, it feels pretty unfair to bag on one game when it's just following convention?

Tamin on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It lets me touch my soldier's faces?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I can make my soldier date each other?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Man, I know that guy on another forum and I saw him talking about finding the unused code for that in the game files. It's so weird seeing an actual article written about it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I mean, I haven't played Farcry 4. But if it's anything like Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerrilla, or Saints Row 3

It saves all sorts of things! Completed missions, story progression, world state, and collectibles. It absolutely doesn't dump you back to the actual beginning

the only thing it doesn't save is last player position. While I'm not terribly sure why that's the case, it feels pretty unfair to bag on one game when it's just following convention?

From what I remember from FarCry 3, it saves all your shit except player position, and when you load it just drops you at the player-controlled safehouse that you were closest to when you quit?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I can make my soldier date each other?

This would be amazing, until the most passionate love story of all time ends because one of the partners missed a point blank shot with a 90% hit chance and then dies horribly

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Sims 5 Avenger Life

• Options
    Enter the Gungeon is pretty sweet.

• Options
    Completed Hyper Light Drifter. Well, not complete-complete, I'm missing at least 3 keys, the respective doors, and the yellow upgradey things. Might look into some user-created maps with actual information on them to complete the collect-a-thon.
    The game's good, but it leans too heavily into the whole "we throw you into the unknown, experience/explore the world yourself" thing, to the point of detracting from my enjoyment. Dark Souls does this kind of thing right, HLD does not.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options

From what I remember from FarCry 3, it saves all your shit except player position, and when you load it just drops you at the player-controlled safehouse that you were closest to when you quit?

In my experience it doesn't save your progress through a mission. I have a particularly bad memory of Blood Dragon where I found a dam for a mission, stealthed carefully all through it killing guys and planting explosives, went through a big action sequence on the top of the dam with helicopters and a minigun... and then I had to leave the game, and come back to it. And I was back at the start of the mission.

It really amounts to like 10 - 20 minutes gameplay, which doesn't sound like much, but is still really annoying to lose. Especially when you have to go through tutorial stuff again, like I did yesterday.

• Options

In my experience it doesn't save your progress through a mission. I have a particularly bad memory of Blood Dragon where I found a dam for a mission, stealthed carefully all through it killing guys and planting explosives, went through a big action sequence on the top of the dam with helicopters and a minigun... and then I had to leave the game, and come back to it. And I was back at the start of the mission.

It really amounts to like 10 - 20 minutes gameplay, which doesn't sound like much, but is still really annoying to lose. Especially when you have to go through tutorial stuff again, like I did yesterday.

I mean, I'm sympathetic, don't get me wrong.

Lost my 2-hours-in save for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet because GFWL was removed. Haven't gone back yet.
    Grimrock 2's hardcore mode means I lost about 2 hours of 'progress' last night, which was really frustrating. All because one enemy had moved in an unusual direction.

But. Yeah. Missions are, what, instances of the game world, with added special interactions (like that helicopter). You could have cleared that dam before the story requested it, and there would have been no action sequence ... and then when the story reached that point, the dam would be repopulated and ready to go.

I'm sure there's some technical reason why they can't (or at least, why the majority of developers fail to) allow a save during a mission, but I don't know it.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I feel like losing, say, 30 mins of progress often tells me quite a lot about how much I'm actually enjoying a game. If I think "oh for fucks sake, I've got to do all that again" I'm probably going to just stop playing at that point.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I feel like losing, say, 30 mins of progress often tells me quite a lot about how much I'm actually enjoying a game. If I think "oh for fucks sake, I've got to do all that again" I'm probably going to just stop playing at that point.

I deleted like 5 hours of saves from mgs5 because the weapon customization side quest broke and starting a new save was the only way to fix it. I really, really enjoyed mgs5

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Doesn't matter how much you enjoy a game, losing hours of progress is never fun.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how much you enjoy a game, losing hours of progress is never fun.

97% Arkham City. Main game, NG+, side quests, and about 3/4 of challenge rooms. Yay.

And I did almost all of it again.

Then they patch the game like 3 months later and my save returned and I knocked out the last 3%.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
This discussion has been closed.