As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] FF7 Golden Saucer Dating Sim continues. New DU tomorrow night.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I just downloaded the game on Wednesday, and have mostly enjoyed it, but a couple of questions:

I frequently get problems with connecting / loading. Is this a server side thing or something with my device?

My main party is currently level ~25, I'm told the best use of Stamina is to focus on the Stamina shard dungeons, or the Hard Daily dungeon (which seems to have a recommended level of 30). Does that sound accurate?

Any tips for where to focus my attention / gil / scarletite / adamantite / growth eggs?

I tried looking around for newbie guides, but the ones I found were either insultingly basic, or incredibly vague.

Did you see this one on Reddit? I like it more than most.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So I just downloaded the game on Wednesday, and have mostly enjoyed it, but a couple of questions:

I frequently get problems with connecting / loading. Is this a server side thing or something with my device?

My main party is currently level ~25, I'm told the best use of Stamina is to focus on the Stamina shard dungeons, or the Hard Daily dungeon (which seems to have a recommended level of 30). Does that sound accurate?

Any tips for where to focus my attention / gil / scarletite / adamantite / growth eggs?

I tried looking around for newbie guides, but the ones I found were either insultingly basic, or incredibly vague.

I have connection issues sometimes, but it comes and goes. It's usually pretty stable lately.

Bad timing, you just missed out on the 1 year festival item orgy giveaway thingie. The difficulties are pretty vague, and what the numbers mean can fluctuate wildly. Building up stamina is good. Sunday daily dungeons are exp bonanzas, so they're good for you too. You should still try to clear as much of the weekly events as you can since once they're gone, they're gone forever. Characters and whatnot can still be gotten later though, but the freebie tokens for them come slowly.

I'd focus your resources on whatever equipment you draw. The current FFT one is a fantastic one to draw on for two very powerful characters, even though they won't have synergy anywhere for a long while. You're kind of at the mercy of the gatcha banners for a while, and they can be extremely frustrating while you're struggling for equipment. One thing you should look into is the Retaliate skill. It makes the user immune to physical attacks and they counter attack the enemy with each one. This is heavily abusable if you've got only a few great weapons since you can have your own characters attack them too. That way, their effective attack is whatever the strongest party member's attack is. It works really well in combination with Advance, Luneth's SB that you'll see on a lot of RWs since that's a huge attack bonus and a physical defense penatly. It also works great with Draw Fire (taunt physical attacks), but only a few characters can use those two in combination (Gilgamesh and Auron being the best).

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

This is a doozy. I'll try to be succinct, while giving you enough detail.
    Stamina:
    Absolutely clear through the classic mode of all dungeons when you can. The main dungeons are the only ways to increase your stamina, which lets you do more over a period of time. When you're able to do some high level classics, feel free to go back and do low level elite versions, but really early on in the game's life, even the earliest elite dungeons were actually really difficult and bosses just had monumental amounts of HP, or could do a counter attack based on a % of health dealt, leading to horseshit like the first Elite boss in Final Fantasy V being able to counter for 7000, which no character can even achieve without realm synergy.

Gil:
    You'll be using this mainly to upgrade your equipment and abilities. Later on, you'll be wanting to exchange a bunch of those 1*-3* orbs for 4 and 5* which starts to get expensive. Wednesdays and Saturdays have daily dungeons that include a massive Gil boost, so take advantage of those and do the highest difficulty you can. Remember you can always clear the first stage, and if you're too weak to beat the second and third, camp and re-do the first stages over with different RMs. Use the highest level AoE-offensive RMs to your advantage here since that's two free round clears for minimal effort.

Materials:
    Scarletite and Adamantite are strictly used to upgrade your equipment. Not sure how much you read into this, but know that a piece of gear can only be "combined" twice, to make an item ++. A 3++ is just about as good as a natural 5* relic, given the realm synergy (using an FF7 weapon in the FF7 dungeons). What separates 5*s apart, besides some of them still just outclassing 3++ gear, is inherent soul breaks. There are some that are waaay better than others, and keep an eye on the forums here because we'll be referring to the kings of the banners in upcoming events very often. If you haven't used some mythril on the current Final Fantasy Tactics banner, do so.

Mythril:
    Every new dungeon, event, daily stage you clear, you get a mythril. Every single one. This also goes for elite realm dungeons. Hoard that shit except in these specific cases:
    - There's a god-like relic that we're all talking about and foaming at the mouth for.
    - It is a relic of the "trinity" set: It provides a character with a means of Hastega (party haste), Medica (AoE healing) or Wall (only two relics do this, Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire, or Y'shtola's Thyrus staff). Almost every event banner has one that does a Medica or Hastega, along with additional bennies.
    - You really like a featured character and their relic is featured in the banner, and you really really want it, mommy pleeeeeease.
    - You need to fill holes in your realm gear. Don't have any FFIX gear? May want to consider pulling on a banner to get some.

Events:
    Clear as much of these as you can. Get the characters. The current Final Fantasy Tactics banner was the talk of the town since Japan released it 6 months ago! Ramza and Agrias are absolute beasts of characters, even without their relics. Do your best to get them, and any new characters from banners going forward. The rewards are also top notch, and most events from here will give us blank souls or crystals to exchange for other characters that have released in the past and can only be obtained that way. Got a particular favourite character in mind? Likely they're in the Soul exchange and ready to be part of your team.

Abilities:
    There are a lot of them. Most are not worth crafting, but there are many that you should have. White and black magic goes without saying. Craft the highest level of spells you possibly can as you earn orbs for them. A lot of dungeon objectives will require you to hit a particular status ailment or elemental weakness, so go with the flow on that. I made a massive post in the previous thread that I'll try to dig up and link as an idea of what kind of abilities you'll want to craft and what level you'll want to hone them to because this section is just too big.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Augmenting swords is kinda weird since you probably have a truckload of RS swords already, so how much are you going to be using an augmented 140 atk sword with 190+ sitting right there. I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking about augmenting a fist weapon because Yuffie and Red XIII frequently get stuck with non-RS weapons due to their limited selection and 19 more atk is 19 more atk.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    yeah try to get as many stamina shards from classic dungeons then switch over to elite ones once you hit a roadblock. Use the difficulty number as a gauge
    event dungeons are worth doing as well because they start easy and the rewards are definitely worth it
    you can skip daily dungeons for now except for the sunday one, which gives massive exp. Always do Sunday daily dungeon.

you'd want to build a team consisting of at least one healer, black mage and samurai (not Cyan) who can use retaliate and get those 5 characters to level 50 asap

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    There's a couple very early elites that give very good equipment rewards. Worth picking off even before you stall on normals.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Also, I've noticed that elites are far more likely to give 2 stamina shards per clear than classics are

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Current Roster:
    Tyro, Cyan, Kimahri, Cloud, Kain, Wakku, Rikku, Ramza, Rydia, White Mage, Black Mage, Ranger, Josef, Knight, Summoner, Bard

Looks like I should be building up:
    Cloud: Retaliator
    Ramza: Support
    Tyro: White Mage
    Rydia: Dark Mage
    ????: ????

Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/40ql43/newbie_guide_part_4_relic_pull_and_team_choice/

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Stilts wrote: »
    Also, I've noticed that elites are far more likely to give 2 stamina shards per clear than classics are

I think you can just about chain the FFV and FFVI elites if you plan them out right. That's where most of the 2 stamina dungeons reside.

• Options
    Current Roster:
    Tyro, Cyan, Kimahri, Cloud, Kain, Wakku, Rikku, Ramza, Rydia, White Mage, Black Mage, Ranger, Josef, Knight, Summoner, Bard

Looks like I should be building up:
    Cloud: Retaliator
    Ramza: Support
    Tyro: White Mage
    Rydia: Dark Mage
    ????: ????

Reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/40ql43/newbie_guide_part_4_relic_pull_and_team_choice/

In about 3 days, we'll get the FF6 event which gives Relm, Celes, Shadow and Strago, so you'll get a few more options. Rydia's a better Black mage than Strago though, so don't bother with him unless you just like him. Relm will be an infinitely better White Mage than Tyro. Celes makes a pretty good character, consider building her up if you're unable to obtain Agrias before the event ends (you'll have until Wednesday, I think?)

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll add Blue magic as a skill set. Strago's got a RM that responds to attacks with the Stone spell, so maybe.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Blue orbs are in the game files

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    For dungeons I'm stuck at FFX S.S. Liki in Elite dungeons, and FFIV Dwarven Castle for normal. (Both are listed at Recommended 26, with most of my party only at level 25)
    For special Dungeons, I haven't beaten Agrias (Recommended 50), or the Friday (Hard - recommended 35) yet.
    I actually failed on the S.S. Liki trying to get a damned Blind to land on the Sinspawn boss.

So now I'm trying to figure out where I should be spending my stamina, should I grind on missions I have already gotten master on, if so, which ones.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    For dungeons I'm stuck at FFX S.S. Liki in Elite dungeons, and FFIV Dwarven Castle for normal. (Both are listed at Recommended 26, with most of my party only at level 25)
    For special Dungeons, I haven't beaten Agrias (Recommended 50), or the Friday (Hard - recommended 35) yet.
    I actually failed on the S.S. Liki trying to get a damned Blind to land on the Sinspawn boss.

So now I'm trying to figure out where I should be spending my stamina, should I grind on missions I have already gotten master on, if so, which ones.

I would be looking at your gear and ability hones at this point. It's likely that you're not bringing something along that could be your ace in the hole. For S.S. Liki, I'd ask if anyone here could set up a Shadow Flare or Aurochs Reel RW. A level 80 Sephiroth doing Shadow Flare on the boss would probably wipe out most of it's HP, and it has a very good chance to blind (if it doesn't, do a hard reset on the app and re-do the fight again without spending stamina.)

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

I would almost never recommend redoing a mission you've already mastered, you just don't get very much out of it. The incidental drops you get along the way are trivial in comparison to first time and mastery bonuses.

You're still at the stage where a strong Roaming Warrior ("friend summon") can clear or almost clear a boss by itself. Flip through the list of what summons are available to you, and find one where the character has a high level, preferably an attack with multiple hits. You can use the Roaming Warrior twice per dungeon, so save it up for the boss and unload both shots to take a good chunk of the boss's HP, then finish up with whatever you've got.

Don't stress too much about the challenge ratings - they're only guidelines. They don't correlate directly with character level, and particularly if you have a good Roaming Warrior to use against the boss, you can take out stuff that's way above your level. Don't be afraid to reach a little, you may be able to clear the event dungeon that gives you Agrias, for instance.

Another note: particularly for longer dungeons, you don't necessarily need to hit all the target conditions to Master the dungeon and get all the loot. I think for that S.S. Liki Elite, I disregarded the Blind objective and just mangled it with a Roaming Warrior. I lost the medals for blinding it, but since I hadn't lost any medals on previous stages, I still Mastered the dungeon. You only need to get 5/6 of the total medals for mastery, and if you're getting 9/9 for actions/damage/KOs on the "trash" stages of the dungeon, that can cover a missed "target score" on the boss.

Fry on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Catching up on old elite dungeons, man the 2xLunasaur FFIV fight is high order bullshit. They do barely any damage but can just spam bad breath. Took what feels like 15 minutes to clear the fight, 14 minutes of which was spent watching the one confused blinded party member on my team repeatedly miss the four confused blinded sleeping members of my team.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Catching up on old elite dungeons, man the 2xLunasaur FFIV fight is high order bullshit. They do barely any damage but can just spam bad breath. Took what feels like 15 minutes to clear the fight, 14 minutes of which was spent watching the one confused blinded party member on my team repeatedly miss the four confused blinded sleeping members of my team.

Medica II! Most clutch RW for crap fights like this.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I need to hunt down the elites that give 2 stam shards. My stamina is only 84.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Medica II! Most clutch RW for crap fights like this.

Doctor Mog didn't even mentioned they could use the ability (he only said they cast self-reflect and are weak to fire, the bastard), or I would have brought it

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    bangaa/seeq units would be cool

and montblanc

Montblanc is the greatest moogle who ever lived and he definitely needs to be in RK.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I'm very likely to augment Yuna's and Lightnings guns (BSSB and SSB weapons respectively)

Yuna's guns give both MAG and MND which is excellent since I love using her BSSB which requires high MAG to be effective; and also encourages me to pack Summons on her. Oddly enough, Ashe can also use guns so that gives them double utility outside of Yuna's personal weapons; assuming of course Yuna isn't in the party but Ashe is.
    Lightning's gun is a very solid ATK weapon though not quite as powerful as all the other 5* melee weapons I have. However, they allow Lightning to attack from the back hence doubling her effective defence plus allowing her to hit spellblades at range. Some bastard of a boss requires Wind damage as a encounter requirement and cannot be hit by melee? Not a problem!

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    I'm very likely to augment Yuna's and Lightnings guns (BSSB and SSB weapons respectively)

Yuna's guns give both MAG and MND which is excellent since I love using her BSSB which requires high MAG to be effective; and also encourages me to pack Summons on her. Oddly enough, Ashe can also use guns so that gives them double utility outside of Yuna's personal weapons; assuming of course Yuna isn't in the party but Ashe is.
    Lightning's gun is a very solid ATK weapon though not quite as powerful as all the other 5* melee weapons I have. However, they allow Lightning to attack from the back hence doubling her effective defence plus allowing her to hit spellblades at range. Some bastard of a boss requires Wind damage as a encounter requirement and cannot be hit by melee? Not a problem!

Because of Wind Jump, am I rite?

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Beasteh wrote: »
    bangaa/seeq units would be cool

and montblanc

Montblanc is the greatest moogle who ever lived and he definitely needs to be in RK.

Mog and Montblanc would be the cutest white Mage black Mage team.

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Fat Chocobo is the best. Did you want to see how much damage you did? Nah, he's gonna block it.

• Options
    I'm not sure why, but I thought Hallowed Bolt was Holy damage. Now I gotta do the Belias battle again...

• Options
    Saint Cross acquired and honed to Rank 3. Wiegraf even gave me a bonus MHO for my troubles.

Gonna hold off on MC2 breaking Ramza and Agrias until after Sunday, but now it's time to figure out this ultimate!

• Options
    As soon as I got Saint Cross, I ran to hone it to R3. And there went my stash of Major Orbs.

I'm going to attempt no-Wall on Ultimate.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Utterly fucking wrecked Belias. One Blade Beam and Meteor cast and bye bye adds.

Which means I completely spaced out on the holy requirement. Oops.

Saint Cross is Civilization though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Saint Cross doing 9999 x2 is a thing of beauty

PS Lulu's SSB with full break and the Ice Rod was doing 6k per hit

Fenrir Overdrive with Armor breakdown, Full break and Shout was doing 8k per hit

The bonus battle bosses did not last long.

• Options
    Uh..you do not need Wall for Ultimate.

One-shot, no medals lost.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Shamus wrote: »

Doesn't he spam Petrify and Silence?

E:Not that Wall would help, but I figured it'd be a S/L fest.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    This ultimate is only a 130? DeNa dumbing the game down for casuals </joke>

• Options

Doesn't he spam Petrify and Silence?

E:Not that Wall would help, but I figured it'd be a S/L fest.

He never used em once on me. The only thing that was fucking me over was that I kept starting with completely empty bars, and they'd focus one person before I could get mitigation up. Once I got Shellga/Protecta/SS2 up they did completely trivial damage.

• Options
    No Wall, Fat Chocobo Ultimate Edition:

sCcXQlh.png?1

Aerith (Healing Wind) Cetra Destiny RM
    R4 Curaja/R2 Shellga

Agrias (Cleansing Strike/Hallowed Bolt) Dr Mog's RM
    R3 Lifesiphon/R3 Saint Cross

Laguna (Desperado) Mako's Might
    R4 Lifesiphon/R4 Blind Strike

Rinoa - Devotion RM
    R5 Maduin/R5 Fat Chocobo

Faris (Kindred Spirit) - Knight's Charge RM
    R2 Heathen Frolic/R2 Full Break

Rinoa got first turn. Popped Shout RW. Faris hit with Heathen Frolic, Aerith with Shellga, Laguna and Agrias used Desperado and Cleansing Strike respectively..and that was it.

Nearly wiped out all the adds with Desperado, had to hold back for Agrias's next turn to hit with Saint Cross. Laguna blinded Belias, and was doing 9,999 per blind shot. Fat Chocobo hits for around 10-11k, and yeah..done. With Heathen Frolic/Full Break/Cleansing Strike applied, Belias's spells were hitting for about 400 give or take.

@silence1186 Didn't see any of Belias status effects.

• Options
    If you can drop the adds fast enough, I don't think you need a wall. It certainly didn't feel like he was doing mega damage or anything. Plus he can be slowed.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Guessing Belias' status effects are rare in the AI script, didn't see any either.

Bring me the Relm event please

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    I saw one petrify, but it missed. I guess I'd have been pissed if it hit though.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Beat Gaffgarion. Waiting on stamina for Wiegraf.

Do any status ailments work on Wiegraf?

Also, Ramza's RMII is a copy of Tidus's Ace Striker? Hell yeah!

Aw damn. I won't be able to hone Saint Cross when I get it.

I've been starved for Earth Orbs for my whole career in this game.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Weigraf can be slowed.

I did no-Wall since a few people in the thread don't have SG or SSII. As long as you've got good AoE, it's an easy battle. I didn't bring Protectga either, just Shellga. Slowing Belias is your best bet.

• Options
    Weigraf can be slowed.

I did no-Wall since a few people in the thread don't have SG or SSII. As long as you've got good AoE, it's an easy battle. I didn't bring Protectga either, just Shellga. Slowing Belias is your best bet.

Good to know. I'll bring someone with Slowga for both of those fights.

This discussion has been closed.