As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] FF7 Golden Saucer Dating Sim continues. New DU tomorrow night.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Atomic Scissors is pretty dumb if you have Crushing Blow.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    100 gem pull got me Chocobracelet. Eh, whatever I suppose
    A 1 pull got me Platinum Fists. YES! A boostga! I don't care it isn't as powerful as Shout; it's a boostga. I'll take what I can get. (And it's the relic I actually wanted out of this banner)

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Chocobracelet is really good and I'd trade it for one of my 5 cure level medica bracers :/

Mid regen on a stick is A+

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    It's a mid regen? Ok then, I'll keep it

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    The giant lifebars under trash enemies in this event are making me really uncomfortable.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    I'm not the only one, that threw me off a bit.

• Options
    DaffyddDaffydd Registered User regular
    I've mathed out what future 5* abilities I'm looking forward to, and being able to get them all to R3 at a minimum.

Chain Starter and Full Charge, got all of the orbs required except I'm short a few Winds. Should have enough by the time the event drops, and if not, I can always break down Tornado Strike because while it's nice that it's there, I can't realistically see it being worthwhile to hone to any degree.

Dragonfire Dive, got it all. I'm surprisingly in small supply on Non-Elemental Orbs though, which I need a few more if I'm to hone Bahamut to R3 as well as...

Chain Blizzaga/Firaga/eventually Thundaga. Never enough Black Orbs, but this is why I didn't bother with the Darkness spells and broke down Dark Zone. I have enough Ice, Fire and Lightning to spare, but looks like Non-Elemental is going to become an issue assuming all 3 spells need it.

Do you have Saint Cross and Thief's Revenge R3? I'm being forced to pick a wind-limited skill to leave at R2, so Chain Starter is getting a bit shorted to start with. If you're having your cake and eating it too, I'd like to know where you found the extra orbs.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Godo's posse are annoying as ever

By turn 2 one of my characters was at critical after taking a 3k spark and a crit dive bomb to the face and 2 of my dps were paralysed (and it lasted the entire fucking fight)

• Options
    Rius wrote: »

Aqua Burst (Shooter 4) - AoE water-elemental physical damage that does more damage with long-range weapons equipped

Sapphire Shoot (Shooter 5) - 2-hit single-target water-elemental physical damage that does more damage with long-range weapons equipped

With the new "Shooter" class of abilities the following characters gain ranks in this school:

Shooter 4
    Edge
    Shadow
    Yuffie
    Rikku
    Hunter (Core)
    Ninja (Core)

Shooter 5
    Wol
    Firion
    Maria
    Refia
    Rosa
    Faris
    Vincent
    Irvine
    Amarant
    Tidus
    Wakka
    Jecht
    Fran
    Serah
    Tyro

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I have Saint Cross only at R3. I didn't bother honing, nor have I yet blown up Thief's Revenge. At the time, I didn't have a Thief worth really honing it up for and I still don't have any with a good relic to keep in the A-Team. When Thancred gets 80, maaaaybe? I have both of his regular SBs so it's a start but he lacks Combat 4 to take advantage of Shout and SB-spam that currently works for me. With 6 uses of 5-hit TR, I suppose no Thief would need to worry about spamming SB, however.

As it stands now, I have no problems handling the current Ultimate+ content without it, which is why it's been easy to ignore honing it. An ideal all out DPS burst team (assuming 5th slot is a healer) is a personal preference mix of the following:

1. Sanguine Crosser
    2. Saint Crosser
    3. Dark Zoner
    4. Thief Revenger
    5. (coming soon) Chain Starter/Full Charger
    6. (coming soon) Dragon Blood/Diver
    7. (praise RNG) Niche Lifesiphon/SB spammers. Combat 4 with great 7.5x or better multipliers on their SBs, and soon, you can add BSBs to that with P. Cecil and Vaan.

As there is really only room for 4 DPS, and depending on the relics you pulled for specific characters, you can fulfill some of these roles more easily than others. It may be worth eventually honing with Cid Missions requiring full realm parties to provide an edge, but of those we've seen so far, none really need it, or there are enough other character types to get around it.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    WOL? Why does WOL get Shooter skills? Everyone else in that list uses projectile weapons, is a weapon Thrower, or is a Blitzball player. Did bows even exist in FFI?

Are they basing this off of his sword beam moves in Dissidia? Or his red/white/blue fang item use?

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    WOL? Why does WOL get Shooter skills? Everyone else in that list uses projectile weapons, is a weapon Thrower, or is a Blitzball player. Did bows even exist in FFI?

Are they basing this off of his sword beam moves in Dissidia? Or his red/white/blue fang item use?

I think that's Wol, not WOL. Because it makes sense to give someone the same name as the acronym of the generic guy from the same realm. :X One of those wonky collab characters we haven't gotten.

I don't understand what they're going for with this "shooter" set, it seems all over the place. Several gun users who aren't on the list, weird people like Amarant on the list, etc.

Fry on
  • Options
    I think Wol refers to the Final Fantasy Mobius character, named Wol because it is a shorthand for Warrior of Light, but also, haha-so clever.

No one's really sure how his particular event and character sprite (along with Echo, the fairy that accompanies him) will be handled. Because his name is Wol, the event that introduced him also brought the FF1 WoL some new relics, and Japan got Garland and Princess Sarah. We'll likely see those characters introduced somehow, but Wol and Echo? Who knows.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2016
    Enlong wrote: »

I think it's the collaboration character "Wol", not Warrior of Light.

A duck! on
  • Options
    It makes sense. Almost everyone on that list, aside from Edgar and Rikku, lack the Machinist skill. It's giving long-range characters abilities that take advantage of their equipment.

• Options
    Amarant is on that list for the same reason Edge, Shadow, Yuffie, and Ninja are. He's a Thower.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Lightning is notably absent from that list.

EDIT: Well I guess we're only seeing 4* and 5* characters. Probably a bunch of the other long range users get 3* or something.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

Don't want to make her even more OP? I dunno. Seems odd.

• Options
    Lightning has Spellblade.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    If it were just "anyone who can use guns", then Barret and Sazh are missing from that list, too. Notably also is Setzer, though he also has Machinist, and it seems Rikku won the straw-pull for being the only character with both sets of skills there.

Rosa and Serah seems like the oddest ones out of the bunch. Both have all sorts of bonuses with Bows, but are probably the weakest people to do anything with physical damage in the list. I guess, at least it's something? Rosa doesn't have to just be stuck casting Diaga for damage options, and Serah's already a 5* Black Mage.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Decided to pull for something since my ffvii gear isn't much to write home about. After two 3 pulls and two single pulls, got a crystal helm 4* and the megaphone. I am happy since I do not have an offensive break like agrias'.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

EDIT: Well I guess we're only seeing 4* and 5* characters. Probably a bunch of the other long range users get 3* or something.

I assume it's going to be like other recent skill sets (Machinist, Darkness) where there just aren't any skills below 4*.

• Options
    My luck streak has officially run its course. I did a 100 gem pull and got a 3* helm.

Oh well... 3 5* items in a row was a good run.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Yellow Megaphone alone has me wanting to do an 11-pull on this thing. An offensive AND defensive SB on a character with Bard/Dance 5* and WHM/SMN 4* in the same event that has Yuffie (and her gamebreaking Medica) becoming a permanent member of my party? That might be good for a HELL YEAH.

Rius on
  • Options
    Stop it @Rius. Stop that right now.

• Options
    I'm really tempted too. Cait Sith can break dance!

• Options
    I can't ever get excited about Bards/Dancers except in the one or two situations where an AoE effect is useful, such as Lullaby or Halting Rumba.

I have a friend who asks for advice on how to beat some of the Ultimates because he stuggles on them. His party is a white mage (Yuna, typically), and Mog (running dances exclusively), and then 3 DPS. The reason for Mog is he has Sunbath, and no native Wall or Shout. He usually has to RW one or the other, and it's easier for him to RW a Wall because at least Mog can Boostga and Heavy Regen.

Problem is the way he set up his Mog is literally dead weight. Dances don't do damage. He can dance all he wants, but his SB generation rate is going to be pathetic without Battleforged/Ace Striker. He can't reliably keep the Boostga up 100%, and his contribution to the kill is next to nil. Mitigation is great, but without the 5-9k damage from a Break(down) every turn, you're only delaying things when the boss could have been dead 3-4 turns sooner.

• Options
    Bards are fun. Slots in a second mitigation spell, similar to running a paladin.

Your friend's Mog could probably get away with running Diaga/Multi Break or Exhausting Polka/Heathen Frolic Sarabande. Assuming there's no Holy resist in play.

• Options
    I've given him some advice on how to run his Mog, because at least Mog can Dragoon or Black Magic some damage in as well, but he's deadset on keeping Mog around. I think some of it has to do with Mog being adorably cute and one of his favourite characters.

At least he doesn't seem too phased by missing out on some rewards because of his handicapping. He spends mythril based on the characters in the banners, not necessarily because some banners have proven relics that are part of a game-changing meta or drastically improve survivability by virtue of ownership.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Yuffie's level 80 stats are so nicely balanced. 160/156 ATK/MAG, 106/103 DEF/RES, 174 SPD.

I seriously need a Light Armor with +ATK; I have one with +MAG for her already.

Edit: Cardinal + Headband + 30MAG Accessory = 348 MAG with zero synergy. That's good for 6336 damage Phantasms with that 0.83 cast time. Add Focus and that's 7364, add another +20% MAG buff and that's 8560. So, so good.

Rius on
  • Options
    What's the future softcap on Ninja magic that Japan got a while back? Is that going to play into your Yuffie utility at all?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    What's the future softcap on Ninja magic that Japan got a while back? Is that going to play into your Yuffie utility at all?

370 mag.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It's really more of a hard cap. It kneecaps the scaling almost totally and basically makes the scrolls cap around 6k on weakness. Which isn't bad but it's not great either.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Right at the end of March/start of April. We might see that hit us around late July/early August since we tend to get these updates sooner than the full 6 month turnaround.

Madafaka. Hehehee...

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Think I'll use this events hero soul to grab Thancred. Now that he has thief 5 I feel like he's solid enough to not be a total liability and I like him the most out of the thief/ninja choices.

I guess sometime you gotta run dat sub optimal for personal enjoyment.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I hope whatever next FFXIV event (for Japan) comes out brings Y'shtola's and Thancred's dress records from their 3.0 update. I also wish Thancred had 4* Combat instead of Celerity, but he's no slouch in the skills department.

• Options
    I just want to see how they attempt to work in some of FFXIV's later bosses.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I'm not super concerned! That graph is correct but kind of misleading; it doesn't calculate the effect of RMs and doesn't show possible gear +Element% bonuses. If you assume the use of Shadow's RM3;
    Current Phantasm at 348/418 (+20%)/501 (+44%) MAG = 6338, 7364, 8560.
    Nerfed  Phantasm at 348/418 (+20%)/501 (+44%) MAG = 6338, 6871, 7200.

That's a pretty significant difference of 1360 damage at +44% MAG, but it's not the end of the world. The difference is much smaller at +20% MAG, a little under 500 per cast.

At her 174 SPD, 6871 damage with an 0.83 sec cast and a Hasted 1.67 wait time comes out to nearly 2750 damage per second. In comparison, a Hasted Black Mage using any -Ja and hitting for 9999 (which is not guaranteed, even with +20% MAG) is doing about 2800 damage per second, about 2950 damage per second if they're using Waterja. In these scenarios, Yuffie doesn't need any synergy at all whereas the Black Mage likely needs heavy synergy.

All the nerf really means is Yuffie can use Phantasm on a mixed team, or an all-physical team, without having to bring synergy. She'll go from doing more damage than a Black Mage to a little less, but will still be super useful in low-synergy or high-RES environments. Or any boss with perma-Reflect, or counter BLM, or a Defense Mode, etc.

Here's the same graph, only for Phantasm with Shadow RM3;

ht2Vgm7.jpg

The two lines diverge faster with Shadow's RM3 applied, but the split point is much much higher for RM3'd Phantasm than it is for RM-less non-weakness 3*. The original graph makes it look like Ninja magic sucks completely post-nerf, and that's what's misleading.

Rius on
  • Options
    Think I'll use this events hero soul to grab Thancred. Now that he has thief 5 I feel like he's solid enough to not be a total liability and I like him the most out of the thief/ninja choices.

Isn't his max level only 65 though?

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Isn't his max level only 65 though?

Unless my luck magically flips 180 I'll probably not be running U+ stuff to completion anytime soon. I basically have to whale just to get a single relic at all.

So better to play the 65s I enjoy and last till we get the guaranteed 5* (if we ever do.) than try to meta and be crushed by a total lack of native anything.

Also yuffles was 65 capped till yesterday and people were still running her so who knows.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.