As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SE++ Writes a Movie] Mortal Kombat: A Cinematic Universe

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Shang Tsung's Private Island is pretty much the perfect setting. Since Shang is set as the Outworld's ambassador to Earthrealm, he needs an Embassy.

Pacific Tropical, but with a large mountain with a crater at the top in the center, the walls of which are jagged obsidian extending about 100 meters into the air. Inside this crater, things look a bit more like Outworld. The outer jungles seem initially normal, but there's slightly weird small fauna and flora (not man eating plants or anything, but like a bird with teeth or a furry lizard). There is exactly one beach, where the boat lands with the Earthrealm Kombatants. Johnny (who is here to prove to his fans and the world that he can actually fight) tries to tweet his arrival, but is upset to learn that there is no cell or satellite service. Naturally, the island is impenetrable to radio communications and can't be seen from a satellite.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So @Joolander & @Chincymcchilla, where is this tournament being held?

Sorry I've been out of the thread for a couple days!

So you also asked how do the heroes get there: I think the easiest way for this to work is for Raiden to recruit people and bring them through whatever magical means he sees fit

I don't think that's particularly original, but the story is literally that he is CHOOSING these champions so I think its ok to have him recruit these people.

The more interesting question is how do the earthrealmers on the side of Shang Tseung get there? Is there some natural connection between the realms or does Shang Tseung just do it magically for them?

Itd be kinda neat if like, the ninja clans had some way to travel between realms, that might explain some of their mystic abilities since humans usually don't have much magical connection

Where it should be: I think it should be in Outworld. Their "hosting" after all, and it would immediately establish the tone of how raw this place is. Have it in the imperial city, let them see all the weird races of outworld.

My question: Do we want Outworld to have the weird purple sky it used to have? I would normally be in favor of dropping it but I wonder if the newer "desert-y" aesthetic might look too mad max-y to people?

I think we can have the purple sky just maybe during the twilight hour/dusk?

I like the idea of Outworld to really make it a unique kung-fu/martial arts film. That also allows us to have some unique environments for our fights.

What are the Must Have areas for the first movie

I would say the forest, the pit, and the dead pool maybe?

One for each round

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Shang Tsung's Private Island is pretty much the perfect setting. Since Shang is set as the Outworld's ambassador to Earthrealm, he needs an Embassy.

Pacific Tropical, but with a large mountain with a crater at the top in the center, the walls of which are jagged obsidian extending about 100 meters into the air. Inside this crater, things look a bit more like Outworld. The outer jungles seem initially normal, but there's slightly weird small fauna and flora (not man eating plants or anything, but like a bird with teeth or a furry lizard). There is exactly one beach, where the boat lands with the Earthrealm Kombatants. Johnny (who is here to prove to his fans and the world that he can actually fight) tries to tweet his arrival, but is upset to learn that there is no cell or satellite service. Naturally, the island is impenetrable to radio communications and can't be seen from a satellite.

I feel like if you really want the setting to feel unique (and you have the money) you gotta do outworld

Maybe they travel to the private island for the first round and as the nature of the kombatants becomes more obvious you go to outworld for the next round?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Ohh wait maybe there's a portal to Outworld at the center of the crater. The first round is in the strange Outworld/Earthrealm Jungle, so Kano can have his fight with Kintaro there. Then they hike up the mountain and enter the portal to Outworld where things get even weirder

This way, things initially seem relatively mundane, but as the movie progresses, the Earthrealmers become further and further out of their element, both figuratively and literally

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Hmm... Lets look at our fights:
    The 1st Rounds

Liu Kang vs Tanya Location: The Armory
    Johnny Cage vs Generic Cyromancer Location: The Dead Pool
    Sonya Blade vs Generic Osh-Tek Warrior Location: The Warrior Shrine
    Kano vs Kintaro Location: The Living Forest (Jungle)
    Reptile vs Human Sektor Location: The Graveyard
    Sub-Zero vs Baraka Location: The Pit
    Reiko vs Human Cyrax Location: The Throne Room

The 2nd Rounds

Liu Kang vs Reptile Location: ________________
    Sub-Zero vs Scorpion Location: ________________
    Sonya Blade vs Reiko Location: ________________
    Kano vs Kahil Grigesh Location: ________________
    Hornbuckle (5) vs Goro Location: ________________
    Kabal (6) vs Goro Location: ________________
    Kobra (7) vs Goro Location: ________________

The 3rd Rounds

Johnny Cage vs Scorpion Location: ________________
    Liu Kang vs Goro Location: ________________

Edit: I've started plugging in some ideas.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The 1st Rounds

Liu Kang vs Tanya Location: Beach / the Kove
    Johnny Cage vs Generic Cyromancer Location: the Kourtyard (MK1 stage with the yin yang on the floor and spectators)
    Sonya Blade vs Generic Osh-Tek Warrior Location: Jungle Ruins (sorta like in MKX)
    Kano vs Kintaro Location: Straight up Jungle ( this is the Hunter/hunted style fight)
    Reptile vs Human Sektor Location: Shang Tsung's Garden
    Sub-Zero vs Baraka Location: Shang Tsung's Throne Room
    Reiko vs Human Cyrax Location: The Portal (with Floating robed monks and floating platforms and everything)

The 2nd Rounds

Kano vs Kahil Grigesh Location: The Shadow Monastery (the portal leads here)
    Sub-Zero vs Scorpion Location: the Living Forest
    Liu Kang vs Reptile Location: the Dead Pool
    Sonya Blade vs Reiko Location: the Armory
    Hornbuckle (5) vs Goro Location: the Pit
    Kabal (6) vs Goro Location: Goro's Lair
    Kobra (7) vs Goro Location: Goro's Lair (all of 5 seconds after the last one, and lasts just as long. Goro gets a FLAWLESS VICTORY)

The 3rd Rounds

Johnny Cage vs Scorpion Location: ???/Netherrealm
    Liu Kang vs Goro Location: Kahn's Arena

I reordered a few of the fights for a more natural progression

Joolander on
  • Options
    I figured each round would take place in one location for budget/green screen reasons

Not that thats really a concern for us but

Yeah if we can go nuts I like what Joolander has

• Options
    edited May 2016
    To put it another way, for those that don't know the stage names by heart
    The 1st Rounds

Liu Kang vs Tanya Location:
    mkx-kove-sketch.jpg

Johnny Cage vs Generic Cyromancer Location:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Sonya Blade vs Generic Osh-Tek Warrior Location:
    3f889b076e9f5aeb8a9c261f82a9a8cd.jpg

Kano vs Kintaro Location: See above, but less ruins

Reptile vs Human Sektor Location:
    shang_tsung__s_garden___night_by_atomhawk-d3efm1y.jpg

Sub-Zero vs Baraka Location:
    Shang_Tsung's_Throne_Room.jpg

Reiko vs Human Cyrax Location:
    Portal.png

The 2nd Rounds

Kano vs Kahil Grigesh Location: (with more stained glass, to play up the gothic vampire thing)
    The_Evil_Monastery.jpg

Sub-Zero vs Scorpion Location: (maybe the trees move and roar, but don't have actual human faces)
    maxresdefault.jpg

Liu Kang vs Reptile Location:
    dead_pool_redesign_by_jordangrimmer-d422bca.jpg

Sonya Blade vs Reiko Location:
    The_Armory_(MK9).jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
    the_pit_HD_e.jpg

Kabal (6) vs Goro Location:
    Kobra (7) vs Goro Location:
    maxresdefault.jpg

The 3rd Rounds

Cliffs_of_the_Netherrealm.jpg

Shao_Kahn's_Coliseum.jpg

I reordered a few of the fights for a more natural progression[/quote]

Joolander on
  • Options
    @Zonugal what if we mix the Jungle Ruins with the Warrior Shrine? I like the idea of statues of warriors past, it would give us an opportunity for a bunch of cameos

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Zonugal what if we mix the Jungle Ruins with the Warrior Shrine? I like the idea of statues of warriors past, it would give us an opportunity for a bunch of cameos

That'd probably work pretty well.

We could have the Generic Osh-Tek Warrior that Sonya fights just going on & on & on about former champions.

• Options
    edited May 2016

We could have the Generic Osh-Tek Warrior that Sonya fights just going on & on & on about former champions.

Yes, this I like. Now is there a statue of the Great Kung Lao, or are these only Outworld Champions?

Also, I just realized that Scorpion doesn't have a fight in the first round. I think we could take the opportunity here to have Shang Tsung meet up with his rival/buddy Quan Chi just after Kano vs Kahil Grigesh in the Shadow Monastery, and hes like "hey dude some of these Earthrealm guys are tougher than I thought, help a bro out?" And Quan's like "I've got just the thing" and summons Scorpion and tells him that Sub Zero killed his clan, so Scorpion challenges Sub Zero right then and there

Or is that too roundabout?

Joolander on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Can the soundtrack include this?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uKAtUeWCfrE

• Options

Yes, this I like. Now is there a statue of the Great Kung Lao, or are these only Outworld Champions?

Also, I just realized that Scorpion doesn't have a fight in the first round. I think we could take the opportunity here to have Shang Tsung meet up with his rival/buddy Quan Chi just after Kano vs Kahil Grigesh in the Shadow Monastery, and hes like "hey dude some of these Earthrealm guys are tougher than I thought, help a bro out?" And Quan's like "I've got just the thing" and summons Scorpion and tells him that Sub Zero killed his clan, so Scorpion challenges Sub Zero right then and there

I think that works

I feel like even though Scorpion is extremely well known, his origin isn't, so covering it seems like a good idea

• Options

I have some issues with that in that it seems like it just adds a lot more characters/story to a film that is already bursting with stuff.

I'd prefer to hold off on introducing Quan Chi till later and I also think keeping Scorpion a bit of a mystery will afford us with more story to tell in Johnny Cage's film.

• Options
    To your first question in there though, I say we just have whatever statues we want. They should all be references/call-outs/cameos of stuff in the series that will never get brought up.

• Options

I have some issues with that in that it seems like it just adds a lot more characters/story to a film that is already bursting with stuff.

I'd prefer to hold off on introducing Quan Chi till later and I also think keeping Scorpion a bit of a mystery will afford us with more story to tell in Johnny Cage's film.

This is fair, you don't need to explain him right off the bat

I think when you do though it'll be nice to get an explanation both for him but also for the whole netherrealm deal

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Can the soundtrack include this?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uKAtUeWCfrE

Johnny Cage is about to serenade Sonya, but then he sees an "I will actually murder you" look in her eye

So to save himself dismemberment and embarrassment, he belts this out for Sub-Zero instead

• Options
    edited May 2016

Ok, fair point. In that case, he just appears in a torrent of flame accusing Sub-Zero, who is perplexed, but also game for a fight because his honor has been sullied, and this will not stand!

Edit: CKommas!

Joolander on
  • Options
    So how about the rest of the sound track?

Orchestral definitely isn't right. I'm thinking a bit synth-y to match the theme, but that may put off audiences

I think a mix of orchestral, synth/electronica & synth-orchestral is probably a good path.

So I am currently on the hypetrain for DOOM, but I watched this video and it struck a lot like what an MK movie should sound like in a lot of places

https://youtu.be/ua-f0ypVbPA

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    So how about the rest of the sound track?

Orchestral definitely isn't right. I'm thinking a bit synth-y to match the theme, but that may put off audiences

I think a mix of orchestral, synth/electronica & synth-orchestral is probably a good path.

So I am currently on the hypetrain for DOOM, but I watched this video and it struck a lot like what an MK movie should sound like in a lot of places
    *snip*

Mick Gordon is the creator of the soundtrack for seasons 1 and 2 of Killer Instinct, so he'd know a thing or two about making fighting game style music. Unfortunately, he was too busy composing Doom to work on Season 3, because the stuff he's done for it fucking owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ckR822Wu4k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIE94pn4iJs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wHVXaQRuFU

• Options
    @Chincymcchilla, it has been around 19 months since we touched this project.

I think we can pick it back up.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    @Chincymcchilla, it has been around 19 months since we touched this project.

We should get a gofundme

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Chincymcchilla, it has been around 19 months since we touched this project.

We should get a gofundme

Ideally, lets structure out the first film and get a first script.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    hello, is this where the kurtis stryker auditions are taking place?

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Chincymcchilla, it has been around 19 months since we touched this project.

We should get a gofundme

Ideally, lets structure out the first film and get a first script.

I think you could have one movie cover basically all of MK9: The tournament, then Shao Kahn breaking the rules and invading

The question is who would be your core cast

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Can we get Skrillex to play Kabal?

• Options

Hmmmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

Hmmmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

thank you for your time. I believe I have the build and disposition that communicates "regular fellow out of his depth in an interdimensional kung-fu fight"

I'm envisioning the character as an on-the-outs bike cop, relegated to a shitty detail after trying to expose the black dragon-enabling corruption and ethical vacuum of the modern police force

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @Theodore Floosevelt, I think when he did this years ago, this is how I envisioned Styrker.
    Zonugal wrote:
    For Styker, I know someone mentioned that they see him as a sort of John McClane character.

And I think that works well, but I have a different interpretation.

I imagine that Kurtis Stryker is a man of raw rage, a level of anger none of us have ever understood. Everything in life seems to be out to get him. It seems like everything in life is out to get everyone. And that is why Styker does what he does. Protecting & serving is the only outlet for his rage, a rage he uses to save lives.

I'm basically imagining a combination of Judge Dredd and Chief Senior Chief Petty Officer Miles O'Brien.

And this as well.
    I just want someone to ask a super angry Sonya Blade about her old police partner and for her to say, "Stryker? That guy? That guy is the angriest man I've ever met."

An then an immeduate cut to Stryker screaming & firing an uzi at a centaur point-blank inside a destroyed Best-Buy.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Idea for first movie core cast:

Johnny, sonya, jax, lui kang, kung lao (so he can die and one of the core cast dies)

I'd also really like to have Kuai liang BEFORE he becomes sub-zero, I think itd be a good lead in to the more crazy supernatural stuff

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Johnny, sonya, jax, lui kang, kung lao (so he can die and one of the core cast dies)

I'd also really like to have Kuai liang BEFORE he becomes sub-zero, I think itd be a good lead in to the more crazy supernatural stuff

I mean it's a mortal kombat movie... if i don't see a supernatural ninja... I'm gonna be real let down. Doesn't have to be scorpion or sub zero. Smoke, reptile, ermac, or noob saibot could also work.

• Options
    Alright, @Chincymcchilla, this is everything concrete we had nailed down for the first film.
    Mortal Kombat Film Series
    Zonugal wrote:
    Mortal Kombat
    * This is the first film in the franchise/cinematic universe.
    It introduces the three primary protagonists of the entire franchise: Lui Kang, Johnny Cage & Sonya Blade. They're brought together by Raiden to fight for the defense of Earthrealm in the Mortal Kombat tournament. In addition to these three we have Sub-Zero who agreed to join the tournament to get revenge on Scorpion (who has been bought by Shang Tsung to fight for Outworld), Kano who has been secretly recruited by Raiden as incentive to get Sonya Blade to participate, Reptile (one of Shang Tsung's spies/warriors), Goro (Mortal Kombat's nine-time reigning champion) and of course, Shang Tsung, the general of Outworld's Emperor and a previous champion of Mortal Kombat (he slayed Kun Loa's ancestor a thousand years ago).
    In the film we have the following fights:
    * Sub-Zero versus Scorpion; Sub-Zero is killed.
    * Scorpion versus Johnny Cage; Scorpion is defeated but left alive (and thus knows he can at least trust Cage for the future)
    * Lui Kang versus Reptile; Reptile is killed.
    * Sonya Blade versus Baraka (or just a standard Tarkatan); Baraka (or standard Tarkatan) is killed.
    * Kano versus a nameless Outworld warrior (we'll have to make someone up like that Jamaican dude Kang fights in the first film); nameless Outworld warrior is killed.
    * Lui Kang versus Goro; Goro is killed.
    Near the end of the film Shang Tsung offers Kano dominion of his own in exchange for betraying his comrades, and he does so because he absolutely doesn't believe they can defeat Goro. He escapes with Shang Tsung who tell Raiden that THIS ISN'T OVER.

Mortal Kombat: Outworld
    * This is the film in which Lui Kang journeys to Outworld as the champion of Earthrealm and as such now serves as voice to Earthrealm in council meetings & such. During his first such meeting he meets Kitana, Kotal Kahn and the other members of the Outworld royal family. While there Lui Kang is framed for a murder and as such has to escape back to Earthrealm with the help of Kitana. All of this was a manipulation by Shang Tsung as to give Outworld a valid reason to step back towards Earthrealm.

Mortal Kombat: Fire & Ice
    * This is the film in which Johnny Cage's production of Mortal Combat is being wrought with errors & setbacks, which he eventually discovers is the sabotaging of both the Shirai Ryu & Lin Kuei ninja clans. Through his own private investigations Cage is told a slew of different interpretations of the same story in which how the clans became enemies for life. He digs deeper and discovers that their stories don't make sense, and with the help of the newest Sub-Zero (Kuai Liang) and Scorpion, they confront the Lin Kuei clan's grandmaster. He reveals that he has tainting the Lin Kuei for decades by turning them into a dishonorably clan of assassins for higher. But he did it to make his clan stronger! He introduces the cyborgs and Sub-Zero, with the help of Scorpion & Cage, basically destroy the entire clan. Sub-Zero swears to build a better Lin Kuei and offers a bond/truce to the Shirai Ryu through Scorpion.

Mortal Kombat: Special Forces
    * This is the film in which Sonya Blade tries to convince the world security council (or maybe just the president of the United States) that they need to build a global defense against the other realms. They don't necessarily believe her, so she goes on a reconnaissance mission to Outworld to gain evidence. She is also using this as a partial excuse to go hunt down Kano. She is joined by her current partner Jax, who tries to convince her that vengeance won't fulfill anything. On her way through Outworld they fight some monster/characters, she confronts Kano who she gets into custody and they make they way back. Before they re-enter Earthrealm they are joined by a fleeing Lui Kang who alerts them to his framing. They jump to Earthrealm but it's too late... Outworld has all the permission they need to go to Earthrealm & retrieve Lui Kang, or you know, destroy the whole place while they try.

Mortal Kombat 2: Konquest
    * This film is about the entire invasion of Outworld into Earthrealm. We have some separate story-lines during it, which are:
    --- Raiden, Kung Lao & Stryker defending Earthrealm in the primary battlefield (which will probably be an urban/city landscape)
    --- Sonya Blade & Jax leading a group of Special Forces commandos to destroy the portals letting Outworld's armies into Earthrealm.
    --- Lui Kang confronts Shang Tsung, issuing a challenge that if Shang wins Earthrealm is his forever. but if Lui wins Outworld is forever barred from any attempt at it again. The two of the fight and Lui is victorious.
    --- Johnny Cage, Scorpion & Sub-Zero race across the realms to convene the Elder Gods & tell them to prohibit this type of behavior.
    Shang Tsung returns to a furious Emperor who destroys him. Earthrealm is safe, for all time it would seem, but we see Tsung arrive in the Netherrealm where he his greeted by the man who has been orchestrating this entire sequence of events. He set the Lin Kuei & Shirai Ryu against each other. He framed Lui Kang for murder at the council meeting. His name is Quan Chi and he has a deadly alliance in mind…
    Zonugal wrote:
    Earthrealm's Warriors
    Liu Kang
    Johnny Cage
    Sonya Blade
    Sub-Zero
    Kano
    Sektor (2) in human form
    Hornbuckle (5) the green Liu Kang from the background of the Pit Stage. A White Lotus member
    Kabal (6) pre-disfigurement. A Special Forces plant in the Black Dragon who Kano thinks of as his best friend.
    Kobra (7) retconned into a Red Dragon member. Has enmity with Kano and Sonya. An irredeemable douche
    Cyrax (10) in human form

Outworld's Warriors
    Goro
    Reptile
    Scorpion
    Baraka
    Tanya (1) Edenian mercenary, fighting style vaguely like Kitana's
    Generic Cyromancer (3) shows Sub-Zero a hint of his lineage. Make him fight more like a samurai or western knight than a ninja
    Generic Osh-Tek Warrior (4) favors obsidian daggers. Not Kotal
    __________(8)
    Kintaro (9) still keeping with the image of a huge muscular cat-being just without four arms, we'll have him be his own race.
    Kahil Grigesh (11) get rid of the wings and have him look/act somewhat like Vamp from Metal Gear Solid 2 (?)

The 1st Rounds (to establish characters' fighting abilities/styles)
    Liu Kang vs Tanya (1) gives Liu a basis to initially mistrust Kitana
    Johnny Cage vs Generic Cyromancer (3) makes Cage deal with magical bullshit, lets him make lots of puns
    Sonya Blade vs Generic Osh-Tek Warrior (4) bit of a preview for what a Sony vs Kano would look like
    Kano vs Kintaro (9) this fight is to introduce the idea to Kano that things aren't really looking to great for Earthrealm, I mean he's having to fight a huge cat-guy. This fight is presented like a jungle hunt, with Kano being the prey.
    Reptile vs Human Sektor (2) Sektor throws darts with explosives attached, foreshadowing his missiles
    Sub-Zero vs __________8
    Baraka vs Human Cyrax (10) the nets don't work too well against those blades

The 2nd Rounds (to showcase those fighting abilities/styles in conjunction with their personalities/the greater narrative)
    Liu Kang vs Reptile
    Sub-Zero vs Scorpion
    Sonya Blade vs Baraka
    Kano vs Kahil Grigesh (11) (this is primarily a very stylish but quick fight in which Kano demonstrates that he is the monster here. This also opens up Shang Tsung to the idea of recruiting Kano)
    Hornbuckle (5) vs Goro (an ominous fight before Liu Kang vs Goro)
    Kabal (6) vs Goro (here is where Kano loses hope, and decides it might be better to join Outworld instead of trying to beat them. Perhaps he quits the tournament and leaves after this point. Either way, this is where he turns from "Earth is where I keep my stuff" to "I can get new stuff")
    Kobra (7) vs Goro (a 5 second fight)

The 3rd Rounds (to build on the tension of the previous rounds as well bring-over the "unlocked secrets to beating these higher-tier warriors)
    Johnny Cage vs Scorpion
    Liu Kang vs Goro
    Zonugal wrote:
    So, regarding themes, here is what I think:
    I think the central theme of the movie should be humanity and what that means.
    Raiden has been protector of Earthrealm but truly doesn't understand humanity, how could he? So he's been choosing champions who he sees as strong on their own, but he's never seen them as a cohesive force. For a being who sees the forest instead of the trees, he misses humanity's greatest strength: teamwork.
    So the last battle between Liu Kang and Goro, Liu should only be able to win by working together with Johnny & Sonya. Maybe Sonya does some quick investigating for any weaknesses to the Shokan & helps Liu with assessing the battle-grounds for tactical advantages. Meanwhile during the battle Johnny just heckles the fuck out of Goro to keep him distracted/flustered.
    Zonugal wrote:
    For individual themes/moral lessons I'd say:
    Liu Kang learns that being groomed to be the hero doesn't make you the hero, you still have to earn that. You have to earn it through noble, virtuous acts, not martial conquests. This is Liu's central struggle.
    Sonya Blade learns that vengeance clouds our hearts & minds, and truly poisons the well when it comes to solving problems. Her central struggle is controlling all of her anger/passion.
    Johnny Cage learns that well sometimes you have to fake it to make it. Sometimes being a hero is just lying to yourself, tricking yourself into making those right choices. His central struggle is his own fear/self-doubt.
    And Raiden learns that the best way for humanity to protect itself is to let them be a voice in their own battles.
    Chincy wrote:
    The thing I like most about what does "humanity" mean
    Is that you can tie it into what I said about not judging people by how they first appear/act
    Scorpion is Hanso Hasashi. He is as human as they come, but he has lost that humanity and needs help to regain it
    The Link Kuei trade away their humanity to be better fighters and Sub Zero 2 recognizes how wrong that is and fights against it
    And you see humanity in KoTal kahn and other 'monsters' who, though their morals aren't exactly the same as humans, do genuinely want better lives for their people
    Humanity as an overarching theme, what makes people good, can go to nearly every one of these stories
    Zonugal wrote:
    @Chincymcchilla, that reminds me of the other theme I want to permeate these stories.
    I want honor to be something beyond your standard hokey-symbolism bullshit in films.
    I want honor to be a universal language. If you don't understand someone's culture, something's biology, you can still read their honor.
    You can still gauge their integrity and courage.
    Joolander wrote:
    The 1st Rounds
    Liu Kang vs Tanya Location: Beach / the Kove
    Johnny Cage vs Generic Cyromancer Location: the Kourtyard (MK1 stage with the yin yang on the floor and spectators)
    Sonya Blade vs Generic Osh-Tek Warrior Location: Jungle Ruins (sorta like in MKX)
    Kano vs Kintaro Location: Straight up Jungle ( this is the Hunter/hunted style fight)
    Reptile vs Human Sektor Location: Shang Tsung's Garden
    Sub-Zero vs Baraka Location: Shang Tsung's Throne Room
    Reiko vs Human Cyrax Location: The Portal (with Floating robed monks and floating platforms and everything)
    The 2nd Rounds
    Kano vs Kahil Grigesh Location: The Shadow Monastery (the portal leads here)
    Sub-Zero vs Scorpion Location: the Living Forest
    Liu Kang vs Reptile Location: the Dead Pool
    Sonya Blade vs Reiko Location: the Armory
    Kabal (6) vs Goro Location: Goro's Lair
    Kobra (7) vs Goro Location: Goro's Lair (all of 5 seconds after the last one, and lasts just as long. Goro gets a FLAWLESS VICTORY)
    The 3rd Rounds

• Options
    God, I gotta comb through that when I get off work

Good job, past us

• Options
    "Theodore Floosevelt", I think when he did this years ago, this is how I envisioned Styrker.
    Zonugal wrote:
    For Styker, I know someone mentioned that they see him as a sort of John McClane character.

I imagine that Kurtis Stryker is a man of raw rage, a level of anger none of us have ever understood. Everything in life seems to be out to get him. It seems like everything in life is out to get everyone. And that is why Styker does what he does. Protecting & serving is the only outlet for his rage, a rage he uses to save lives.

I'm basically imagining a combination of Judge Dredd and Chief Senior Chief Petty Officer Miles O'Brien.

And this as well.
    I just want someone to ask a super angry Sonya Blade about her old police partner and for her to say, "Stryker? That guy? That guy is the angriest man I've ever met."

An then an immeduate cut to Stryker screaming & firing an uzi at a centaur point-blank inside a destroyed Best-Buy.

so instead of stryker as normie, stryker as the man who actually has less chill than a bunch of killer robots and outworld conquerors

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    "Theodore Floosevelt", I think when he did this years ago, this is how I envisioned Styrker.
    Zonugal wrote:

And this as well.

so instead of stryker as normie, stryker as the man who actually has less chill than a bunch of killer robots and outworld conquerors

Yes.

If given a chance Styrker would just shoot Shang Tsung in the face at the beginning of the tournament.

He doesn't have time for all of this bullshit.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

don't you kill my beautiful hat boy

kill original conquest kung lao instead

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

I'm just sayin somebody gotta die

• Options

not my beautiful hat boy

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

not my beautiful hat boy

Now do you mean he is a beautiful boy with a hat

Or that he is a boy and has a beautiful hat

• Options

not my beautiful hat boy

Now do you mean he is a beautiful boy with a hat

Or that he is a boy and has a beautiful hat

por que no los dos

6vjsgrerts6r.png