As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SE++ Writes a Movie] Mortal Kombat: A Cinematic Universe

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i was gonna say the rock for raiden but you could p much pick any character name out of a hat and give it to dwayne and i wouldn't not love it

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i wnat johnny and sub zero to kiss

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That's cool

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Well after binge writing all that stuff last night I had an incredibly weird dream where Sam Elliot was Raiden

I dont think that's good casting by it was pretty great

Edit: Also for Johnny Cage Casting: did you guys know that Ryan Gosling has a Black Belt in Muay Thai

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    That's cool

Would you say it was ice kold

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Alright, here is what I have as far as casting choices.

For the primary cast of characters:

Liu Kang
    Tony-Jaa-1.jpg
    Tony Jaa; the rising phoenix of the cinematic martial arts world. He has fans, which he deserves for his fantastic movies (and the films he showcases them in). Him being proficient in Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Muay boran, Aikido, Judo & Wushu doesn't hurt...
    Alternate: Jung Ji-Hoon

Soyna Blade
    article-2637334-1E229F2900000578-794_634x669.jpg
    Emily Blunt; gorgeous but tough actress who has previously shown interest in being in an action/adventure film series (but get locked out of it). For Edge of Tomorrow she spent a few months learning Krav Maga, which I think she could continue & would be a great fit for Soyna.
    Alternate: Katheryn Winnick

Johnny Cage
    ryan-gosling-gave-a-shout-out-to-his-two-leading-ladies-in-his-life-girlfriend-eva-mendes-and-daughter-esmeralda-as-the-two-most-complicated-and-powerful-women-in-his-life-right-now.jpg
    Ryan Gosling; mega-charmisatic pretty boy super-good actor who has training in Muay Thai.
    Alternate: Chris Pine

Raiden
    Keanu-Reeves-in-47-Ronin-007.jpg
    Keanu Reeves; the enigmatic & mysterious Caucasian kung-fu star. He's Keanu, enough said...
    Alternate: Lian Neeson

Sub-Zero
    decascos-mortal-kombat-158292.jpg
    Mark Dacascos; Smooth, so smooth... He's an icon in 90's martial arts and frankly we need a somewhat big star to go against Scorpion and be killed... I think Dacascos can give us a high-quality martial arts fight (with training in Wun Hop Kuen Do, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Wushu) and really make the audiences not know who of these ninjas will emerge victorious.

Scorpion
    latest?cb=20130326024302
    Rick Yune; super-stylish martial artist who movie-goers know as, "That evil guy from that thing!" He's reached Olympic-level skill in Taekwondo and beyond that he is charismatic enough for people to crave a film just about him as Scorpion.

Kano
    Jason-Statham-Workout.jpg
    Jason Statham: brutal & rough fighter who can also light-up the screen. He's played good guys, bad guys and dipped back & forth into comedy, he's got a lot of range and with his training in Wing Chun, kung fu, karate, and kickboxing he can show us a fight with the real blood-thirsty Kano.
    Alternate: Manu Bennett

Reptile
    ray-park.jpg
    Ray Park: sinister & awesome martial artist who is always a mega-cool bad-guy. With some make-up and Ray Park's training in Northern Shaolin Kung Fu, Wushu, Kickboxing & Hapkido he will absolutely deliver an amazing fight scene or two before he is slain. Plus he already has experience playing a reptilian villain!

Goro
    david-bautista.jpg
    Dave Bautista; incredibly-strong/tough actor who has the training/skills in wrestling, MMA & Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to embody the nine-time Outworld champion. You'd want to utilize the same effects they do for the Hulk in Mavel's films for him, but I think Bautista not only brings a lot of knowledge & reputation to the film as a central antagonist but if you wanted to show Goro as being more honorable/noble than just a warrior-thug he could sell that as well.

That just leaves Shang Tsung, who I can't quite place... I want someone with immense charisma & gravitas but they need to also be able to fight. The audience shouldn't laugh at this casting either, but it should just work for them. I'd almost just say someone like Pedro Pascal but I don't know... I am puzzled...

Thoughts @Chincymcchilla

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Kano is so obvious it kind of hurts I didn't think of it before I opened that spoiler

I also really really like that Raiden. I do think you'd have to alter the outfit a big, but I like pretty much all your casting here.

I... Kinda wanna say George Takei for Shang?

And I don't mean as joke casting

I think he could be really friggin imposing

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    George Takei could be a pretty fun choice.

For an alternate idea, what about Nathaniel Lees (from Matrix Revolutions)?

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    George Takei could be a pretty fun choice.

For an alternate idea, what about Nathaniel Lees (from Matrix Revolutions)?

Well

He was a ninja master in power rangers so I sort of cant say no

• Options
    Alright, well we have an idea regarding what our character might look like in our speculative casting.

Lets move on to a basic outline of the first film.

Why is everyone in the tournament and how do they get there?

• Options
    Johnny was selected because Outworld doesn't know what movies are and they think he is one of Earthrealm's greatest warriors.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Johnny was selected because Outworld doesn't know what movies are and they think he is one of Earthrealm's greatest warriors.

I mean, I think Raiden picks who fights for Earthrealm.

I think he'd know what a movie is?

• Options

Why? I doubt he cares at all about Earth media or entertainment.

Like, he could be observing humanity and people seem to be talking up this Johnny Cage fellow a whole lot

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Like, he could be observing humanity and people seem to be talking up this Johnny Cage fellow a whole lot

I think he'd still know what a movie is and that Johnny Cage is a movie star.

What about if...

He'd pick Cage because he knows Cage is a symbol to/of Earthrealm and believes he can grow to be the characters he plays in his films.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    What if Johnny finds out that Raiden is picking people for something fighting-related and he seeks out and auditions to the big man

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options

What about if...

He'd pick Cage because he knows Cage is a symbol to/of Earthrealm and believes he can grow to be the characters he plays in his films.

maybe he thinks pairing him with the Shaolin's most noble warrior will instill in him a sense of good

I think for Sonya she agrees because she knows Kano will be there but doesn't really know what goes on at the tourney

Kang is in on everything, Raiden has explained everything to him

Sub zero is there because the lin keui made a deal with Shang Tsung, Kano is there to... sell them weapons? Not sure on that one

Scorpion is there on loan from quan chi but that isn't made clear in the first film

• Options
    Although @Blankzilla, I will give it to you that your version could get us a Cage as an unintended hero akin to Jack Burton.
    Johnny Cage: WHY DID YOU BRING ME HERE!?!?
    Raiden: You are a noble hero of Earthrealm. Kung Lao told me of your deeds: your fight against slavers, your recovery of ancient treasures, your slaying of the ogre-mages.
    Johnny Cage: THOSE ARE MY MOVIES!
    Raiden: What?
    Johnny Cage: They're stories! They aren't real! The ogre-mages were puppets!!!
    Raiden: Oh, oh no...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

What about if...

maybe he thinks pairing him with the Shaolin's most noble warrior will instill in him a sense of good

I think for Sonya she agrees because she knows Kano will be there but doesn't really know what goes on at the tourney

Sub zero is there because the lin keui made a deal with Shang Tsung, Kano is there to... sell them weapons? Not sure on that one

Scorpion is there on loan from quan chi but that isn't made clear in the first film

Kano could be there because if he wins this illegal martial art tournament fight to the death, that's going to give him impressive street credit when it comes time to sell illegal weapons in the future. Other black market sellers aren't likely to hang around when they hear that the psychopath who passes time tearing people's hearts out is looking to expand his market.
    Little bit shallow, I guess, and predictable as all get out.

Second thought: maybe Kano's there as an anti-hero. Raiden fills him in that this is Earth's last chance to not get merged with the hellscape that is Outworld, and that's going to fuck with the Black Dragon's business dealings. Once random joes get access to magic fireballs or what not, investing in a black market pistol just doesn't look as good.
    Go ahead and borrow a line from Guardians of the Galaxy: "What are you doing here? Why are you fighting for Earth? Why do you care?" "Because I'm one of the idiots who lives here."

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

What about if...

Kano could be there because if he wins this illegal martial art tournament fight to the death, that's going to give him impressive street credit when it comes time to sell illegal weapons in the future. Other black market sellers aren't likely to hang around when they hear that the psychopath who passes time tearing people's hearts out is looking to expand his market.
    Little bit shallow, I guess, and predictable as all get out.

Second thought: maybe Kano's there as an anti-hero. Raiden fills him in that this is Earth's last chance to not get merged with the hellscape that is Outworld, and that's going to fuck with the Black Dragon's business dealings. Once random joes get access to magic fireballs or what not, investing in a black market pistol just doesn't look as good.
    Go ahead and borrow a line from Guardians of the Galaxy: "What are you doing here? Why are you fighting for Earth? Why do you care?" "Because I'm one of the idiots who lives here."

Kano is tough because I don't really think he's got much there, he's a creepy misogynist who just wants money

I don't really think making him an anti hero works but I'm not sure what else you do with him

• Options
    I mean, you can sell the idea of Raiden being really desperate to fill Earthrealm's warriors with the best fighters it has. Kano could be one of those.

It'd paint Raiden in worse light, but maybe Raiden can do with a bit complexity. Human morals are not important when realms are on the line.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Keanu is great and all, but that still feels like half-assing it when it comes to casting an Asian Thunder God.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    what about Min-sik Cho (otherwise known as the good guy from the original Oldboy, the bad guy in I Saw the Devil, and the weird in the Good, the Bad, and the Weird) as Raiden

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    this is all well and good, but where are siero, vorpax, and taja?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

You're just making up words.

• Options

you will not sully this thread with MK Conquest
    I mean, you can sell the idea of Raiden being really desperate to fill Earthrealm's warriors with the best fighters it has. Kano could be one of those.

It'd paint Raiden in worse light, but maybe Raiden can do with a bit complexity. Human morals are not important when realms are on the line.

This is why I love Raiden turning on Lui Kang in MK9

Raiden is a little more "ends justify the means" than most heroes typically are

No way Sonya and Kano get along though

• Options
    okay fine

where are sareena, kia and jatakka?

how big of a role does mokap play?

are no-face and kano still buddies?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    okay fine

where are sareena, kia and jatakka?

how big of a role does mokap play?

are no-face and kano still buddies?
    Man

Sub Zero Mythologies is so weird

it introduced so much shit that 100% didn't matter... but Quan Chi is such an absolutely huge part that you can't ignore it

WHICH I REALLY WANT TO

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Do we have Iko Uwais in here anywhere?

It feels like some Iko Uwais wouldn't be amiss in a martial arts fight to the death movie.

• Options
    at least you can ignore mk: special forces

starring no-face and tremor, the brown ninja no one wanted (who is pretty cool in MKX)

also re: mk conquest

3odaiyrd8rlv.jpg

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    So I have to admit something

I've never watched Mortal Kombat Legacy

has anyone here seen it and is it worth it?

And also @Rorshach Kringle if anyone was going to have MK Conquest recorded I'm glad it was you

• Options
    i've only seen the first season and i really liked it

it's most definitely a webseries so the story-telling isn't the strongest

but the action and character beats are pretty baller

they have pitch perfect casting with casper van dien as johnny cage

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Just make sure that Shang Tsung knows what "Flawless Victory" means this time.

• Options

I think if they actually do make a new movie they fucking have to get michael jai white as jax

this is not an option

• Options

I think if they actually do make a new movie they fucking have to get michael jai white as jax

this is not an option

oh most definitely

dude basically plays jax in half his movies anyway

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    spent a bit of time tonight figuring out who i'd want for Shang Tsung and i'm gonna go with Tony Leung Ka-fai

j0wkBGc.jpg?1
    event-2240.jpg
    1434466416wbhtc.jpg
    TaoYO2s.jpg
    Tony-Leung-Ka-Fai-ashes-of-time-1994.jpg

he's a contemporary of Chow Yun-Fat who's been in Hong Kong cinema for thirty years, and has experience both in english speaking roles and in playing evil assholes (for example, a triad boss in the crime drama Election)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    spent a bit of time tonight figuring out who i'd want for Shang Tsung and i'm gonna go with Tony Leung Ka-fai

j0wkBGc.jpg?1
    event-2240.jpg
    1434466416wbhtc.jpg
    TaoYO2s.jpg
    Tony-Leung-Ka-Fai-ashes-of-time-1994.jpg

he's a contemporary of Chow Yun-Fat who's been in Hong Kong cinema for thirty years, and has experience both in english speaking roles and in playing evil assholes (for example, a triad boss in the crime drama Election)

Looks wise: perfect

• Options
    that's a solid pick right there

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So I have to admit something

I've never watched Mortal Kombat Legacy

has anyone here seen it and is it worth it?

And also @Rorshach Kringle if anyone was going to have MK Conquest recorded I'm glad it was you

Finally I can respond to something.

Legacy is great, Season 2 was way better and they cast the perfect scorpion.

Konquest was the shit, f the haters.

And Siero, fallen elder God, was in John Wick!!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    I will be watching legacy this weekend while I write up the faction info then!

• Options
    I will be watching legacy this weekend while I write up the faction info then!