As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Fire Emblem Thread! Echoes may be a remake but hey lets use spoilers anyway

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Well, on a whim I bulldozed though the remaining levels and finished Revelation using just myself and Xander paired off

That, um, that sure was a plot thing!!! That sure was several plot things REVELATION END SPOILERS
    Played back to back, the last six chapters were a non stop melodrama train of random dead people showing up, saying a line or two for some sort of emotional punch(??), then kicking the bucket proper

Why the heck did they think Sumeragi was a good person to stick in there? Why would I care about him? All I ever saw of him to that point was a blurry pincushion

And bless, as much as I like Xander they gave him two incredibly ridiculous lines near the end ("Is that what common people think of royals" in response to "The king fucking murdered my family and then entire village for a minor slight, royalty is crazy" and then "Oh no must we lose dad too" to Garondorf getting eaten

Buuuuuuuuuuuh

The siblings in general didn't get any emotionally resonant moments, but I knew that would be the case going in.

To conclude this on a positive note, I liked the mechanics of the stealth level, and the design for both forms of Anankos were both very rad

Oh, and I WAS totally pleasantly surprised by something: Lilith doesn't have a ridiculous death scene in this! Mind. Blown!!

I didn't save, so I'll go back and do it properly later. Wyborn has been waiting to chat with me about this for like two weeks now

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    So much time must've gone into those subtle changes.

There's more than that.

The Japanese version has six minor variants for the Avatar's dialog, one for each voice option.

And Awakening had, in addition to that, a mute option that rewrote every single support Robin had to set him or her as a Link style heroic mime. Like Chrom going "What's that Robin? Little Ricken fell down the well?" for every cutscene.

I can just imagine the conversation at 8-4 when deciding if they were localizing that feature. I imagine it involved the phrase "Fuuuuck that."

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Well, on a whim I bulldozed though the remaining levels and finished Revelation using just myself and Xander paired off

That, um, that sure was a plot thing!!! That sure was several plot things REVELATION END SPOILERS
    Played back to back, the last six chapters were a non stop melodrama train of random dead people showing up, saying a line or two for some sort of emotional punch(??), then kicking the bucket proper

Why the heck did they think Sumeragi was a good person to stick in there? Why would I care about him? All I ever saw of him to that point was a blurry pincushion

And bless, as much as I like Xander they gave him two incredibly ridiculous lines near the end ("Is that what common people think of royals" in response to "The king fucking murdered my family and then entire village for a minor slight, royalty is crazy" and then "Oh no must we lose dad too" to Garondorf getting eaten

Buuuuuuuuuuuh

The siblings in general didn't get any emotionally resonant moments, but I knew that would be the case going in.

To conclude this on a positive note, I liked the mechanics of the stealth level, and the design for both forms of Anankos were both very rad

Oh, and I WAS totally pleasantly surprised by something: Lilith doesn't have a ridiculous death scene in this! Mind. Blown!!

I didn't save, so I'll go back and do it properly later. Wyborn has been waiting to chat with me about this for like two weeks now

Woman you were supposed to be in bed!!!

Also we had similar reactions to all of this and I find that kinda gratifying!

Gods

Whyyyyyyyy

Was it easy with just you and Xander? I figured it would be tough

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I appreciate Xander but have come to the conclusion he's too honorable and distinguished for the Corrin I play.

Also I've answered my own question from earlier and made my castle an easy seize and added it to the list!

Also I would pair Keaton with Charlotte, I remember it being pretty decent?

Who are your Conquest team one true loves?

Lessee here...

Silas X Camilla
    Odin X Elise
    Corrin X Xander (because I'm the worst)
    Beruka X Benny
    Effie X Leo (it should have been Benny!!)
    Arthur X Selena

That's all, I think! Everyone else is benched.

How's Arthur/Selena? I was going to try that one, but I paired her with Keaton instead

It's pretty sweet, actually! It's Selena throwing herself headfirst into any and every challenge she can to prove she's the best (as per usual). Only this time the insurmountable challenge is Arthur's disastrously bad luck.

More Revelations ending thoughts
    I think I would have preferred one MORE mindless actually dead person, that being Gunter, rather than what they tried to shoehorn in as his background story traitor twist. I agree with Wyborn--his characterization in Rev is completely incompatible with what it was in Birthright or Conquest and the support conversations that they locked out. If this past was something consistent between all three games then why does he not have any special lines with Garon, for instance, or why does it not come up in the supports!

It reeeeally felt shoehorned in, and really wasn't a surprising twist either because, you know, that whole no supports thing

Why couldn't he just have been revealed to be dead by the time you reunited in Valla and under total control of Anankos the whole time...? EVERYONE ELSE WAS

Also: "I raised you to be a tool of revenge against Garon and royalty in general"

How exactly, Gunter

By... not horsewhipping or starving Corrin when ordered?

By... instilling a sense of morality and faith in others, which OK, Garondorf would probably detest?

That's called Good Parenting and isn't Anything Special

Also the Wiki
    Claims the game hints at Gunter being the third unnamed person who visited the Rainbow Sage. And no, there's no hint of that in the games, which are as subtle as a marching band parading down the street at 4 AM in the morning

signature.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    It's pretty sweet, actually! It's Selena throwing herself headfirst into any and every challenge she can to prove she's the best (as per usual). Only this time the insurmountable challenge is Arthur's disastrously bad luck.

I read it and wow that's much sweeter than I expected. Selena keeps surprising me!

@SilverWind yay!
    So silly. I agree with everything you said. Gunter basically just serves as a way to kill off Scarlet (which only really serves to give a little sympathy to Ryoma) and provide another boss to battle.

It would've been more (albeit only slightly) impactful to have kept his supports in Revs! Plus it would have created interesting conflict with any Lady Corrin who'd have chosen to marry him.

And Corrin finding out they are Vallite royalty related to Azura could've been given a few more lines.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The main game not taking into account possible support choices does seem to be a common theme.

I guess they didn't want to account for all the possible permutations but it does hurt the overall narrative because of it.

Though to be fair. Bioware has this problem too though they've been getting better at it.

It gets reaaaaally bad in Fates with the second generation.

List of probably inappropriate matches, with Revs spoilers:
    Corrin x Xander, Camilla, Leo, Elise (adoptive siblings)
    Corrin x Ryoma, Hinota, Takumi, Sakura (suspected blood siblings) (I mean you have to start the S-supports to find out they're not related)
    Corrin x Azura (blood cousin)
    Corrin x Shigure (cousin's son)
    Corrin x Seigbert, Forrest (adoptive nephew)
    Corrin x Shiro, Kiragi (suspected blood nephew and you never find out they're not related in-game)
    Corrin x any other potential nephew/niece through Corrin's sisters
    Corrin x any of Azura's other kids (cousin's son/daughter)
    Asugi x Midori (cousins, although in the English language version they just become good friends)
    Kana x too many possible cousins/second-cousins to name, although at least in the English language version they become girlfriend/boyfriend at most (or rejected entirely)
    Seigbert, Forrest, Shiro, Kiragi x any potential cousins (which I did in both Birthright and Conquest because I kept forgetting!)

I don't want to add those all up but it is an awful lot

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Given the lukewarm response to Revelation's story and maps, as well as the grind necessary to pair off 60-odd characters, would I be best served only buying Conquest when Fates comes out here? I intend to do Hard and Lunatic runs, and I could always watch the cross-faction supports on Youtube.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I'm curious how--in as non-spoilery way as is possible--much the "true path"-ness of revelations has come across to y'all who've played

like does it feel like the definitive version of the story, so to speak

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Given the lukewarm response to Revelation's story and maps, as well as the grind necessary to pair off 60-odd characters, would I be best served only buying Conquest when Fates comes out here? I intend to do Hard and Lunatic runs, and I could always watch the cross-faction supports on Youtube.

If your main reason for playing is gameplay then yeah Conquest is far and away the best.

It gets reaaaaally bad in Fates with the second generation.

List of probably inappropriate matches, with Revs spoilers:
    Corrin x Xander, Camilla, Leo, Elise (adoptive siblings)
    Corrin x Ryoma, Hinota, Takumi, Sakura (suspected blood siblings) (I mean you have to start the S-supports to find out they're not related)
    Corrin x Azura (blood cousin)
    Corrin x Shigure (cousin's son)
    Corrin x Seigbert, Forrest (adoptive nephew)
    Corrin x Shiro, Kiragi (suspected blood nephew and you never find out they're not related in-game)
    Corrin x any other potential nephew/niece through Corrin's sisters
    Corrin x any of Azura's other kids (cousin's son/daughter)
    Asugi x Midori (cousins, although in the English language version they just become good friends)
    Kana x too many possible cousins/second-cousins to name, although at least in the English language version they become girlfriend/boyfriend at most (or rejected entirely)
    Seigbert, Forrest, Shiro, Kiragi x any potential cousins (which I did in both Birthright and Conquest because I kept forgetting!)

I don't want to add those all up but it is an awful lot

Oh...hey...I
    married my cousin without even knowing.

Oh well...

edited April 2016
    I agree with Dragkonius if your reason for playing is pretty much purely gameplay. If you have a passing interest in the characters or story then there are many great characters in Hoshido, plus both Birthright and Revelations do far more to flesh out the story than Conquest does. Revelations's maps are sufficiently more varied and different from Conquest than Birthright's are, so if you do wish to buy a second but not a third, I'd probably choose Revelations over Birthright. But definitely buy Conquest first, then see how much you enjoy the game!

@Theodore Floosevelt hm, yes, it does. It feels just and complete, just incredibly thin (especially without any of the character interactions of Conquest/Birthright as prior knowledge). A very bare-bones story.

@Dragkonias I'm sorry. I tried to give warning. D:

Janson on
    edited April 2016
    Shen wrote: »

I'd suggest starting with Conquest, and then if you are jonesing for more FE, do Birthright, and then if you still wanting more, do Revelation. It's also gameplay-wise the least interesting/challenging, I think, though that may be because I was severely overlevelled

I'm curious how--in as non-spoilery way as is possible--much the "true path"-ness of revelations has come across to y'all who've played

It's definitely the happiest path, and I'm sure if there's ever any continuation to Fates (really unlikely) or reference to Fates in later FEs (somewhat more likely) that Rev would be the version highlighted. Aaaand it does answer a few questions that were only hinted at during the other two version.

However, having played through Revelation I don't feel it's any more "true" than the other two paths. In fact, Birthright and Conquest both feel more "true" in that I expect at least one side or group of people to come out very unhappy in actual international conflicts

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    I was mostly ignoring Rev stuff and that was my Conquest pairing.

Hmm...it would have been an interesting story beat I guess.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    hmmmmm muchas gracias for the revelations PoVs, janson and silverwind

I'd initially thought I'd be good with one path but I've been itching to know what's up with revelations lately. birthright just doesn't interest me as much when combined with the general comments about its gameplay, so i might just jump to rev

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    I would say Rev is right in the middle difficulty wise.

The biggest gameplay problems are.

A) With double the paralogues its stupid easy to overlevel unless you purposefully spread XP

B) Characters aren't level scaled to join chapter so you get quite a few characters who are unusable without outside grinding.

It's almost impossible not to be overlevelled in Revelations if you even do like 1/6th of the supports or bench more than half your characters.

And yes the way everyone comes together and fights alongside Corrin with barely any conflict (and zero conflict after joining) is ludicrous, but I overlook that for all the cross-country supports, even if they are unrealistic. They made me so happy, and a few (like Laslow/Orochi) are amongst the better written of the supports across all three games. Forrest/Kiragi and Shiro/Seigbert gave me especially warm fuzzies.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    I would say Rev is right in the middle difficulty wise.

The biggest gameplay problems are.

A) With double the paralogues its stupid easy to overlevel unless you purposefully spread XP

B) Characters aren't level scaled to join chapter so you get quite a few characters who are unusable without outside grinding.

I'm probably just gonna bump up the difficulty and try to limit the paralogue grind, i am pretty ok with ignoring the kids unless they just seem like they want to happen

in conquest 26 i still only have ophelia and one s-ranked couple, and i kinda like it. the deeprealms explanation is way less jarring a thing when it's a solution to one non-royal kid that just sorta happened as opposed to a nursery for corrin's humpcamp

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    It's not so much that I'm only interested in gameplay, it's just that I prioritise it over story. It's a shame because I understand Birthright has the best story of the three. I was hoping for Rev to bring the best of both worlds, but unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case.

As to characters, I think my ideal FE has a cast of like, 24. 70 requires too great an investment to find the ones and the pairings I'd actually enjoy. Awakening was difficult enough, and that was approaching relationships with the intent to make the most powerful children possible. (That turned out to be a fairly pointless exercise in any case due to the relative simplicity of the game, hence my priorities.)

But yeah, Conquest first and then Revelations if I'm still interested in more FE of a different flavour when I'm done with it. Cheers all.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    IMO saying Birthright has the best story of the three still isn't saying much. And the margin between Birthright/Revelations is so narrow for me that I might prefer Revelations overall. But really, you won't miss much story-wise by not playing Birthright.

I agree 70 characters is just far too much, and I also agree Nohr has the better characters overall. It's a bit of a pity because at least half of my personal favourite characters are Hoshidan, but oh well!

Honestly. Birthright's story is the "best" in that it isn't as outright offensive as Conquest's. Wouldn't call it quality though. Decent at best.

I would say I like Rev's more just cause it joins the two factions.

That's hard to say

Like, Hector mode with its secret chapters is definitely the true path of Fire Emblem 7

And Eirika Mode and Ephraim mode are two halves of a whole as I understand (though having only finished Eirika's path it definitely feels like the Kids Table version of that plot)

Fates isn't that... neat. Revelations has the bits that tie the plots together but it also lacks the emotional resonance that the other two have, and its characterizations make far less sense than Conquest or Birthright. I'd argue it's actually the worst of the three just in terms of the narrative it presents and its representation of the game's best characters (all of your siblings are very low priority in this narrative and also quite a bit less driven)

You could take all three of them and be more or less satisfied with how they end, but if I had to rank them I'd say Revelations is at the bottom and either Conquest or Birthright would be at the top, those two are close enough to call it a tie

dN0T6ur.png
  • ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    More Revelations ending thoughts
    I think I would have preferred one MORE mindless actually dead person, that being Gunter, rather than what they tried to shoehorn in as his background story traitor twist. I agree with Wyborn--his characterization in Rev is completely incompatible with what it was in Birthright or Conquest and the support conversations that they locked out. If this past was something consistent between all three games then why does he not have any special lines with Garon, for instance, or why does it not come up in the supports!

It reeeeally felt shoehorned in, and really wasn't a surprising twist either because, you know, that whole no supports thing

Why couldn't he just have been revealed to be dead by the time you reunited in Valla and under total control of Anankos the whole time...? EVERYONE ELSE WAS

Also: "I raised you to be a tool of revenge against Garon and royalty in general"

How exactly, Gunter

By... not horsewhipping or starving Corrin when ordered?

By... instilling a sense of morality and faith in others, which OK, Garondorf would probably detest?

That's called Good Parenting and isn't Anything Special

Also the Wiki
    Claims the game hints at Gunter being the third unnamed person who visited the Rainbow Sage. And no, there's no hint of that in the games, which are as subtle as a marching band parading down the street at 4 AM in the morning

I dont know if that second spoiler may have been something in the japanese but not the english.
    I think the implication is that he mentions trying to get more power to fight against garon. And everyone who wants power to go murder dudes ends up at the rainbow sage (See: shura). Plus he's a great knight and the dude who visited was "an unnamed knight."

It's definitely in the realm of "He has the motive, and the description matches, plus he's old enough, so it could have been him, as opposed to say, Silas or some shit." rather than a concrete "Gunter went to the rainbow sage." plot dropping.

Honestly. Birthright's story is the "best" in that it isn't as outright offensive as Conquest's. Wouldn't call it quality though. Decent at best.

I would say I like Rev's more just cause it joins the two factions.

Decent is being very, very kind.
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    I dont know if that second spoiler may have been something in the japanese but not the english.

Something else lost in translation was the pre-Fates wars between the Nohrian siblings! I had seen hints at 'there used to be other Nohrian siblings, but they're all deceased' online, but I thought it was just inferred from support dialogue. But in the Japanese Leo/Elise supports, Leo explicitly states that there was infighting amongst their siblings. I think it's considerably more interesting if Camilla and Leo (and I suppose Xander, although he was probably untouchable as the legitimate heir) are viewed as the only survivors.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I warned you about revelations. I warned you

I thought charlotte-keaton's C-A supports were good but it is totally a support where having an S rank afterwards is dumb and not fitting at all

Slammed through the first two chapters of Eirika's intro, took about 20 minutes with some cutscene skipping (not all)

Can't get overconfident on this stuff. Death is real!

Also I might have bought something that I'll share with the thread when it's actually in my hands

dN0T6ur.png
    Righty-o, finished Hidden Truths parts 1 and 2
    Everyone

Everyone is related to you

It was pretty fun! But definitely spoilertastic for Revelation the whole way through. It's fun to play as the Awakening kid trio, though!

...Though, I kinda wish it went over the story of the trio arriving in Nohr and so on, even if that would mostly be a bunch of talking

Come to think of it though, they could have made it like the Arena Ferox chapter in Awakening

signature.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    camilla... has a... torture... dungeon...

I'm sure it's for purely... recreational purposes

signature.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Slammed through the first two chapters of Eirika's intro, took about 20 minutes with some cutscene skipping (not all)

Also I might have bought something that I'll share with the thread when it's actually in my hands

is it the Chrom butt mousepad

Daypigeon wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »

is it the Chrom butt mousepad

F1emSb9.gif

dN0T6ur.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    you're incredibly thirsty, got it

say no more

@SilverWind that would be awesome, I would definitely play that!

Man...I didn't realize Awakening came out in 2012...for some reason the wait time between games felt much shorter.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Man...I didn't realize Awakening came out in 2012...for some reason the wait time between games felt much shorter.

That's because it came out Stateside in 2013.

3 year gap's not too bad.

So I'm guessing the next FE is gonna be like new 3DS only or...on the NXT if that's this mobile/console thing folks are saying it is.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Finally advanced the plot another chapter in Conquest. Chapter 22 talk:
    Guys. GUYS. You gotta stop making promises you don't know you can keep. Have you been able to actually spare soldiers past like, chapter 8? No? Iago always shows up and fucks it up for you?

Come on now

Finally advanced the plot another chapter in Conquest. Chapter 22 talk:
    Guys. GUYS. You gotta stop making promises you don't know you can keep. Have you been able to actually spare soldiers past like, chapter 8? No? Iago always shows up and fucks it up for you?

Come on now

But you have to remember
    Corrin is the stupidest lord ever. Of all time.

Yes, even dumber than Eirika.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    revelations 13
    well hey fuck you too ryoma, 100% 23 damage two hits asshole standing next to a wyvern riding killer axe holding lady

I guess I'll go down the hoshidan side first next time so I can pick off scarlet easier

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.