As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Fire Emblem Thread! Echoes may be a remake but hey lets use spoilers anyway

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    what's a good match for leo anyhow? His kid is one of the ones I actually want to pick up on this run.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    what's a good match for leo anyhow? His kid is one of the ones I actually want to pick up on this run.

Stats wise or what?

Dragkonias wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »

Stats wise or what?

ideally i'd like to find someone with a good support and who doesn't tank their stats, but i get the feeling that's not happening so I guess the former

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I know I'd said my intention was to inflict the worst possible support on Takumi, but that's what the "canon" Revelations run is for. I also realized that I'd be inflicting Takumi on someone else and I don't think anyone deserves that kind of punishment. Might as well put him with someone who likes him this time.

8fjy49fa2gl0.png

Didgeridoo on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Hmm...I just looked through Leo's supports and I would say most of his S ranks are good.

If you want someone who takes advantage of his strong suits...Sakura, Nyx, Avatar or Felicia are probably the best.

Hinoka and Azura are also decent but they kind of tank mag(and def with Azura) which kind of sucks.

Dragkonias on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @Terrendos that is a very decent list, some fun supports there!

Leo's opposite-sex supports are amongst the worst in the game, but I agree with Dragkonius's selection. I'd personally go between Felicia or Sakura since Nyx's s-support with him is creepy. Sakura's is actually pretty sweet!

• ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Replaying Birthright and I had forgotten how much dialogue Azura has! There is a better amount of exposition than I'd realized. But there really is no reason she could not have given Corrin more information, especially since Corrin displays utter trust in Azura multiple times.

I had remembered Nohrian Scum as a Takumi phrase but so far nearly every Hoshidan has said it except for Takumi.

Trying all new S-rank pairings this time (asides from Ryoma/Rinkah and Takumi/Oboro) and liking some of them even better than my previous 'ideal' pairings, so that's making things new and more interesting.

pretty sure he says it a lot before chapter 6, which youll miss if you do branch of fate.

I actually played through chapters 1-6 this time! It's what struck me, although it's possible I clicked through him saying it.

alright, the ideal setup for these games feels like it's around ~12 first gen units, and to slowly start subbing kids into the last 3-4 slots as endgame draws near sooo here's the revelations gameplan
    Hoshido: Subaki, Hinata, Takumi, Rinkah, Oboro, Kagero, Sakura

Nohr: Selena, Benny, Leo

Neutral: Felicia, Anna, Azura

Kids: Forrest, Caeldori, Ignis(?) these aren't set in stone, but I saw Kiragi and Shigure last time so I don't feel compelled to pick them up again. I guess there's...the possibility of Kana, too? Whoops, kinda forgot about them.

seems like it's gonna be my main squad this go around. There's a lot of characters I like, a fair amount of folks who can date each other but no pairings set in stone, and not too many late game recruits to slow things down...that should do it!

So Leo and Takumi hate each other as much as I thought they would...

This is great.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

This is great.

If only it stayed that way

One thing about Fates is that it's not willing to have characters hate each other at the end of their supports

Sometimes that's best

dN0T6ur.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    charlotte and keaton do! just forget that S rank exists

Wyborn wrote: »

This is great.

If only it stayed that way

One thing about Fates is that it's not willing to have characters hate each other at the end of their supports

Sometimes that's best

For a counterpoint, may I submit to the court as evidence a good 75% of Azama's support conversations

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    azama and effie was actually good

made azama pull his head out of his ass for once

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

That was a pretty good support, for sure! Sadly, only the best is acceptable for dear, dear Effie. And Azama is decidedly not the best.

Also on the "Only the best for" list, complicating the shipping grid immensely:

Kaden
    Setsuna
    Elise
    Hinoka
    inexplicably, Silas, that lovable person who I thought was gaslighting me but is actually just extremely earnest

I'm fond of Hana/Azama, she manages to accidentally injure him in three different ways; very satisfying. Plus she proposes to him, rather than Azama doing his whole 'accept this mysterious gift - surprise! Now we're engaged!' thing.

edited April 2016
    oh lord Ryoma is nothing but piss and vinegar if you have Kagero (and Saizo, I assume) go toe to toe with him in Revs

he's very unhappy!

Daypigeon on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

That was a pretty good support, for sure! Sadly, only the best is acceptable for dear, dear Effie. And Azama is decidedly not the best.

Also on the "Only the best for" list, complicating the shipping grid immensely:

Kaden
    Setsuna
    Elise
    Hinoka
    inexplicably, Silas, that lovable person who I thought was gaslighting me but is actually just extremely earnest

Hinoka is the most frustrating.

Here's a cool design, attached to a character who's supposedly the Badass McLikesToFight of the Hoshido siblings. She's a peg, which means combat utility, and she's got a good skill and growths. We're ready to go!

Only the reason she's a fighter is (sigh) to protect Corrin. Because everything in Fates is about fucking Corrin (in more than one sense!) So that's lame. She's got some decent supports (probably. Fates supports burn me the hell out, so I haven't exactly read all of them), but that really cuts the appeal.

So does the "We're not related. We can fuck now!" letter, because wow.

But the worst bit is how little she's in the story. She's a boss in two chapters of Conquest, with no real influence on the plot, and that's still way more than she gets to do on the Hoshido path.

Bad show, game!

(Then again, there's a lot of other things in Fates I might argue for as Most Frustrating on another day. It's a competitive field!)

Her retainers also really drag her down; even if you like Setsuna and Azama as units, or find their supports amusing, they don't manage to say much about Hinoka as a character other than she's maybe too kind.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Her retainers also really drag her down; even if you like Setsuna and Azama as units, or find their supports amusing, they don't manage to say much about Hinoka as a character other than she's maybe too kind.

They aren't the worst characters, but they are the worst retainers.

Retainers are supposed to make life easier for their lords. Hinoka has to spend all her time bailing Setsuna out while Azama makes fun of both of them.

edited April 2016
    Actually that does speak to her character as Hinoka herself says she doesn't like depending on others.

Dragkonias on
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Her choice in retainers and what she does for them was really the most characterbuilding they did for her

I liked that part! They just needed to add way more to her, personality and story-wise.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    Yeah. Hinoka's problem is she pretty much has the same personality as Ryoma and he gets more screentime.

So in the areas where she does get time, mainly supports, she comes off a bit redundant.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I liked her retainers

Hinoka's gonna make things work out, even if she has to drag them by their dang ears

She's tough, but also caring

I do wish she got a larger role in the story. Sakura too. Heck, Elise gets a larger role in the Birthright story than either of them.

Yeah, I am biased because I really can't stand either character. They're decent as units, so I do use them in game, but Azama is just a terrible person; he's such an asshole that I can't even laugh as a detached reader. It's hard to reconcile such a character with having Hinoka's support.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I really like Azama, even though he's a jerk

I dunno why

I do wish he got a little more pushback in his supports. I haven't done all of them, but so far I've only seen that in Hinoka's and Mitama's supports

(Speaking of which, Mitama is the best)

Butler For Life #1 on
    Yeah, I do really like Mitama. Azama's redeeming quality.

I'm playing Birthright on hard and it's been fine, except the ninja chapter (11?) - there's no way to deactivate the traps, right?

I was too curious to leave Corrin single and I paired her up with Hinata (because, pickle son, also Corrin appreciates that butt) and their S-support is pretty great; hilariously awkward and ends with Corrin running away. Hinata also seems to suit being Kana's father the most, probably because he's pretty juvenile himself. Bonus points included for the line, "Eh? I dunno. I guess whenever I train, I always try to do it with her. I'm not really the romantic type, I guess... haha."

I kinda want to do another Female Corrin run because I only did one of them and there are so many potentially good S supports I could choose from.

But im torn on route and difficulty. Im leaning towards conquest again because it was my favorite map-design wise. And then probably like, Lunatic casual just so I can see how ridiculous Lunatic is without feeling super stressed out.

Which of course leads us to the most important question. Which dude am I gonna bang, and which units am I gonna pair off that I didnt pair off before.

I want to use Jakob, and pair him off with somebody, but he's kind of a dick so that's gonna be a tough call.
    I really want to use Arthur and Charlotte more because who doesnt love big-crit zerkers, and I benched the both of them in every other run as soon as I got them.
    Definitely gonna show Camilla some more love because normally I sat her on the bench for several chapters until everyone else caught up, but I doubt that's gonna fly on lunatic. Gotta find her a good husband.
    I've never actually done anything interesting with Beruka either, she probably deserves more useage.
    Odin, Selena and Laslow are #ForeverBenched. They deserve a break after awakening. Let somebody else save the world dudes.
    Elise is probably stuck as a staffbot because jakob isnt gonna be healing shit this run. Maybe I should reclass azura to something that can heal too?
    Keaton and Silas are slumming on the bench this time. Ill weep about losing Velouria but she already got so much use that it's a non-factor now.
    I want to find a way to make Kaze and Mozu more useful. kaze's a swell guy and a ninja to boot, but his poor strength growth is just rough life. Mozu is gonna be a strugglebus to raise up to start with, but im thinking its time to oddball her into a mechanist.
    Effie is a goddess but ive never tried to use Benny so she gets to sit this one out.

And who the hell am I gonna marry. (no, not Xander dont be ridiculous. Xander has to marry felicia so she can be the clumsy queen of nohr) Oh my god is it leo. Am I about to marry leo. Are we gonna both be dark knights and Kana/forrest become wizard buddies.

Fire emblem is hard guys.

It's Leo

No seriously though, it's Leo

Lunatic casual sounds good to me, I admire people who play on classic but I think I'd throw my DS across the room if a character ended up dying on the last turn of a map (which frequently happens to me after I get lulled into a false sense of security).

Jakob often ends up being less dickish by the time his A-supports roll around. He also loves royalty and is super nice to them. Jakob/Nyx was really sweet (with 0% dickery).

It's Leo

No seriously though, it's Leo

Lunatic casual sounds good to me, I admire people who play on classic but I think I'd throw my DS across the room if a character ended up dying on the last turn of a map (which frequently happens to me after I get lulled into a false sense of security).

Jakob often ends up being less dickish by the time his A-supports roll around. He also loves royalty and is super nice to them. Jakob/Nyx was really sweet (with 0% dickery).

mhm mhm mhm I hear what you're saying. But im thinking the answer is just to marry him off to peri. They can just be horrible to each other off in a corner somewhere.

I think Jacob and Nyx get along fine.

SilverWind wrote: »
    Her choice in retainers and what she does for them was really the most characterbuilding they did for her

I liked that part! They just needed to add way more to her, personality and story-wise.

To be honest, I don't think the main plotline has much in the way of character building for ANY of the characters. The closest they come are the super-cool showdown cutscenes/dialogue for Xander in Birthright, and Hinoka and Ryoma in Conquest.

Most of the good character building seems to be in the supports this time around.

iirc Hinoka wasn't in the original script treatment they got from the writer this go around, but added later

which...at this point yeah I kinda wish they'd folded her traits into Ryoma or vice-versa. I really like the idea of a character who wasn't originally going to be a warrior but started training (relatively) later in life for a very specific reason. That's good!

But she comes off as kinda inconsequential in Birthright because well, that means her life goal gets accomplished without any work on her part. Whoops.

Maybe really focusing on the player character having her slot in the Hoshidan family would've worked better. You've even got mom's two retainers who can sub in as the player's?

If I had my druthers they'd fold Ryoma into Hinoka (serious warrior lady eldest sibling who took up arms to rescue Corrin) and make Ryoma the Camilla equivalent. Ryoma and Camilla get a "I love and know Corrin the most" contest in their supports already, even!

signature.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Except it's made clear that Xander knows Corrin better than either.

Terrendos wrote: »
    Except it's made clear that Xander knows Corrin better than either.

Well yes <3 but I wasn't going to have every post be a Xander lovefest!!

(It makes sense, even without the support convo with Camilla; Xander seems to have the most active hand in educating Corrin)

signature.png
    I like Xander conversation with Camilla where she's suprised how much he knows about the family even though he doesn't say it.

As the eldest sibling in my own family who tends not to say when I do things a lot, I could relate.

I guess the trick to Ch 10 is just to take things very slowly; no easy way round.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    finished conquest 26, slowly rolling down the hill toward that endgame now

(longwinded spoilers for that mission and a few s-rank avatar matches)
    was heartbreaking that i had to finally put hans "mad dog" lastname down. such a sweet boy. i really wish i had been training rickety old gunter up, because it would've been sweetly symmetrical for him to do the deed, but gunter is not quite in "fighting a beserker with an s-rank weapon" shape.

loved that leo executed iago, because leo is the one who executes everyone. i like that little tidbit that was mentioned earlier about "other" nohrian siblings that leo and camilla survived; it makes a lot of sense for their characters. it was doubly fun because leo went down fighting the great satan, saizo, and so i imagined him hobbling over all crippled and bandaged, still intent on ending that motherfuckin sorcerer

i also decided to finally marry little Theodore off. in trying to find a suitable match for his particular, strange, hungryboy naiveté i initially tried peri and charlotte (on account of their bomb-ass lunches) but found the s-ranks generic (hey btw MARRY ME i am NOT JOKING) and/or lacking. his comment about hiring "hardy servants who can survive being attacked [by peri]" showed Theodore crossing a dark, intimately horrifying line for the love of a woman's cooking, and it made me uncomfortable.

so, speaking of crossing lines: please say hello to kana, yes, hmm, she does have purple hair, how strange, yeah i dunno where she gets that

but on the real i think camilla is a really good choice, in that it makes sense as a thing both characters would want, provides actual characterization through corrin's "uhhhh wtf are you doing uhhh I'm uncomfortable" line of questioning that most of his opposite-sex supports seem to start with, and then follows through with an s-rank that coheres with those earlier supports and both characters, and doesn't just pivot out of nowhere toward marriage (even though a "sibling" support seems the most likely to do this by definition). Camilla actually proposing to him in a matter-of-fact way also makes more sense, because of course corrin doesn't propose. he wouldn't propose to anyone! he's not a take-initiative kinda guy, and siding with nohr is--despite being the only reasonable choice--kinda squares with that. nohr is what he knows, and who he knows, and it's definitely not the bold leap that siding with hoshido is. And as for camilla, having her just be 100% wanting to bone down and get hitched actually re-contextualizes the way she's talked to and about Theodore throughout the game to be less weird

also i think corrin is definitely freaky deaky and it makes sense that he would be horny for one of the women he grew up with because he's a sheltered, emotionally underdeveloped weirdo

thus concludes this excerpt from my autobiography, an apology for anime titty

f2ojmwh3geue.png
This discussion has been closed.