As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    If you fail at rep 3 you will probably fail at rep 4 if you try immediately.

Sometimes if I fail I'll do an extra set to make up for the reps I was planning on doing my last set but failed at.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Paladin wrote: »
    This mainly applies to lifts where gravity pulls the weight away from me. Like if I can't do pull up 3/5, do I try to do the remaining 2 and then stop, or do I immediately stop and reassess?

If you don't get rep 3 on pullups you're not getting the next 2 either. I'll sometimes take a five second rest and try again, but generally the set is done when you fail.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    That makes me feel better about it. I try and bear in mind that there was a time that I was doing reps with 95kg that looked like this and now my 95 reps are the kind of reps you settle down and start a family with.

What? No! Marry the filthy dirty one, marrying the boring one is a recipe for disaster.

• Options
    I'm not taking those reps home to my mother.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Mother fucking volume

60.0kgX12
    80.0kgX12
    100.0kgX5
    120.0kgX1
    130.0kgX1
    140.0kgX1
    143.0kgX1
    145.0kgX1
    130.0kgX3
    125.0kgX3
    125.0kgX3
    118.0kgX5
    115.0kgX5
    115.0kgX5
    100.0kgX10

Followed by incline, flyes, dips and Tate presses

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Holy balls.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

carrying a little man around on your runs is a bold weightloss strategy

• Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu9CwZH9zMpatMUdpDm0f0yaGjadam9ZthgDMkWSfSwoYktT1m-Q0shGls

• Options
    I was trying to brag/taunt with a reference you god damn savages.

• Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Is there a trick to putting on more than one plate for deadlifts? I have to lift the bar with the first plate to put on the second. This isn't a big deal now, but what happens when it gets to three plates?

altlat55 on
  • Options
    By the time you're doing three plates lifting the bar a little won't be a problem.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    By the time you're doing three plates lifting the bar a little won't be a problem.

I thought it might just come down to that. I realized that I was going to the gym to lift these weights and then complaining to myself about lifting this weight up an inch.

Kakodaimonos, that looks nice but I'm not ready to spend more money. I think I'll just suck it up.

altlat55 on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    altlat55 wrote: »
    Is there a trick to putting on more than one plate for deadlifts? I have to lift the bar with the first plate to put on the second. This isn't a big deal now, but what happens when it gets to three plates?

I roll it up onto a change plate (smallest metal plate available)

• Options
    I have no idea why I didn't think of that.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Instead of deloading today, I said fuck it and went for 225lbs on my squats.

Carbed up real good last night. Couple beers and a big ole plate of tortellini. Went to sleep earlier and felt great this morning. Hip pain was nonexistent so I figured there was no reason not to go for the two plates.

And it went well! Felt that all 5 sets were real solid. Also knocked out 115 on my OHP. Hoping I can get to 135 before my first deployment. Yea, vague timeline. We'll see.

Deadlifts were solid at 240. Haven't had any issues with them lately, kinda feels like I'm on cruise control to 315.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Clearing 3 plates on deadlift I feel is a turning point for most people. It's really a feeling of "I'm strong!".

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Heavy lower day. 185kg went up pretty smooth.

19-04-2016 Tuesday
    Deadlift
    70.0kgX12
    100.0kgX10
    120.0kgX3
    140.0kgX3
    160.0kgX2
    170.0kgX1
    180.0kgX1
    185.0kgX1
    155.0kgX3
    155.0kgX3
    155.0kgX3
    135.0kgX5
    135.0kgX5

https://youtu.be/EhAOJVlo6wA

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    altlat55 wrote: »

dead wedge!

my floor is all bumper plates, so even with 3+ plates on the bar, it is a pain in the ass to load weight on unless I am using my own iron 2.5/5lb weights.

sliding a small 5lb weight under works too, but the dead wedge is a pretty cheap solution that works well.

• Options
    Tried a Turkish get up and some kettle bell swings today.

Seemed like a pretty solid.

I can see why the cool kids like them.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You better be careful, soon you'll be doing box jumps.

• Options
    Tried front squatting for the first time. Trainer at gym recommended I try crossing forearms underneath and resting the bar on my shoulders. Felt really awkward but I think my form was good. Also feels weird not squatting past parallel since I guess that screws up center of balance on front squats? Everything felt super weird.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Tried front squatting for the first time. Trainer at gym recommended I try crossing forearms underneath and resting the bar on my shoulders. Felt really awkward but I think my form was good. Also feels weird not squatting past parallel since I guess that screws up center of balance on front squats? Everything felt super weird.

You should always squat past parallel. It's actually easiest with front squats, unless you have serious dorsiflexion limitations. Ditch your trainer.

• Options
    Your trainer has given you at least two bad pieces of advice on that one lift.

• Options
    Whats the other?

Characters I hate:

• Options
    The crossed arms style is generally a lot harder unless you have a lot of wrist flexibility problems. Which maybe you do! So perhaps it was unfair to suggest that it was bad advice.

Front squats feel weird at first though, no matter what. They have a high learning curve. Once you get them though, they're easier than back squats.

• Options
    What are my other options for hand positions? The cross wrist form took a lot of pressure off my forearms and my forearms are pretty weak in general (yes im also incorporating deadlifts).

Any advice for how to go below parallel in front squat without keeling over? Im comfortable going way past parallel for back squats but everything is wrong with the world in front.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Your other option is the standard "clean" grip https://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/2011/11-684-02/clean-grip.jpg

As for not keeling over, I can't say it's a problem I've heard a lot about but since it happens all the time in beginner back squats my inclination is that you can probably improve it very quickly with practice. Perhaps you're compensating strangely for the different weight distribution

• Options
    Hm... i think ill try that form next time. Cross grip had me digging my thumb into my collarbone.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    Honestly I tried cross grip my first time out and hated it. Clean grip looks harder but ends up being simpler. Remember that no matter what, front squats are uncomfortable as fuck as first.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    It can take a while to get the wrist flexibility to comfortable use the clean grip. To make it easier you reduce it down to only like 2 fingers on the bar per hand while keeping it stable as long as you keep from leaning forward too much. Focus hard on getting your elbows up

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I might need to do some kind of dedicated wrist* strengthening. I have previous injuries and use thick wraps for everything, but recently things like lateral raises have given me real trouble. How I get monster wrists?

*autocorrect turned this into "sexist"

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Also, wrist straps can be looped over the bar to hold onto the ends if you totally lack all wrist flexibility

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I might need to do some kind of dedicated wrist* strengthening. I have previous injuries and use thick wraps for everything, but recently things like lateral raises have given me real trouble. How I get monster wrists?

I just use a picture of your mom.

Or a wrist roller. You can also do a barbell wrist roll. Sit on a bench and grip a barbell in both hands palms up. Open up your hands and let the bar roll down until it's just in your fingers. Then try to curl your hands back up and bring the bar back into the palm of your hand.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Well, they make little resistance thingies that you do tiny tiny hand curls with. Golfers, I guess. http://www.amazon.com/Power-Forearm-Strengthener-Exerciser-Trainer/dp/B005J4XYG4 I personally never liked them. The wrist ball things are pretty good, but killed my hand, not my forearm.

Could also just do Farmer's Walks for pure grip, and wrist curls over the armrest of something. I also favor swinging a heavy kettlebell one-handed, because if you let go of that fucker it's going through your wall or on your toes, and fear is a remarkable motivator.

Edit: There's also this. http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Claw-Eagle-Catcher/dp/B0037B74N0 Someone (not me) should buy that just on principle.

dporowski on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The "customers who bought this also bought" section for that Tiger Claw thing is just spectacular.

• Options
    Today's workout anthem is the Kimmy Schmidt theme song.

THESE REPS ARE STRONG AS HELL

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Zerchers are a fun form of front squat that I really enjoy myself. People give you funny looks doing them at 225lb+

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Zerchers are a fun form of front squat that I really enjoy do myself. People give you funny looks doing them at 225lb+

Fixed that for you

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
This discussion has been closed.