As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sleep wrote: »
    So for my lifts is it weird that my squat is at 120 my ohp is 85 but my deadlift is 245?

It means your squat is weak, relative to your deadlift. You can almost certainly squat more. Press sucks for everyone, 85 is light and you could maybe do more.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Are you guys using kg when tossing out your numbers? If so, you're all monsters. Wow!

I do, I tend to guess whether people are using kg or lbs based on what I know about their training history.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Ha whoops I'm a garbage scientist that totally forgot to label my units.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I think most of the guys posting now are actually using kg and are also pretty strong.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So for my lifts is it weird that my squat is at 120 my ohp is 85 but my deadlift is 245?
    That’s how things went for me

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Sadly I’ve gained 10 lbs since I started working out again

That’s without tracking what’s I’ve been eating, and not getting in enough protein, so mostly eating more free junk at work out of hunger

Been gaining back some strength again though and the gym habit is back
    Now I just need to fix my diet, work on mobility, and drink less

poo
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I mostly post in kilos cause we have bumpers in kilos and iron plates in pounds.

I usually lift with the bumpers unless I'm just squatting or benching then I'll use iron and if I post I'll usually put pounds for the day

Today was pure Olympic so bumpers and kilos it is!

Every now and then I realize that I've only been lifting slightly longer than I've been posting on these boards and never very seriously except for the last six or seven years.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That’s how things went for me

yea same here. It took me a lot longer to dial in my form for squats, so they stayed relatively lower compared to deadlifts. Once I hit good form though they shot right up and were at the right ratio in like a month.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Finally hit that 4 plate deadlift. Went up good for a single. Could barely break from the ground moving it up to 415 lbs, so I had to do (what I'm considering to be) at death set of 15*315.

Now getting home I've been tasked with moving some junk up and down stairs for a while, my legs don't want to cooperate, tomorrow I bet is going to be nothing but jello legs.

• Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    So I bought starting strength and um damn I don't think I need 100 pages about how to do the perfect squat yet. I need the Coles notes of this. I do have some form questions for squats and overhead press as I'm getting different answers from different sources.

For squats are you supposed to look forward to keep you chest up or should your neck essentially stay in line with your back (meaning at the bottom of your squat your looking down)?

For overhead press should your knees be locked? Should you be bending your back when lifting? Should you be locking your elbows at the top of the lift?

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The cliff notes version is the youtube video Rippetoe made.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM

More immeadiately, you should look down about five feet in front of you if you are doing low-bar squats.

For overhead press don't lock your knees, and resist the temptation to use your legs to help push the bar.
    I don't know exactly what you mean by bending your back, but you should take a deep breath and puff out your chest when the bar is down (which sometimes makes me feel like my lower back is slightly curved).
    Locking your elbows at the top is fine.

edit: Forgot words.

durax on
  • Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Thanks for the video, it's helpful.

Yeah sorry by bend your back I meant arch. The starting strength book was showing a significant arch when lifting the weight for overhead press. Like to the point I'm not even sure if I can arch my back that much.

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Newblar wrote: »
    Thanks for the video, it's helpful.

Yeah sorry by bend your back I meant arch. The starting strength book was showing a significant arch when lifting the weight for overhead press. Like to the point I'm not even sure if I can arch my back that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a6bRnvjlgg

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    durax wrote: »
    The cliff notes version is the youtube video Rippetoe made.

I don't understand how people can squat with their hands bent backwards like that.

I squat with my hands on top of the bar, like this and I don't know how anyone could do it any other way.

EDIT: That came across overly selfrighteous, I'm sure it works fine for people, but I don't understand how it isn't agony

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Wrists can get into that position healthily, you just need the flexibility for it. It's necessary for front squats, back squats eh.

• Options
    This is my go to link for this topic, because if your back isn't right then what your arms and elbows are doing doesn't matter at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUTcYA9daoE

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I gotta figure out a time when my schools weight room isn't packed and I'm concerned that time might be never which is a drag

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    it tends to be 6am or past 9

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I don't have the wrist flexibility for it on either. Definitely puts a bit of strain on them doing back squats, but it doesn't affect form (other than the wrist) or ability to do a back squat. And since I don't plan on ever competing, I just do a hold like a zercher, but with elbows up, on my front squats.

Love seeing different videos with advice on how to set up. None of them have clicked for me yet, but eventually I'll come across one that helps me get into the perfect setup.

• Options
    i have one spot on one of my wrists that has been hurting

not while i'm lifting, just in general

it's probably related to both a combination of lifting and my poor desk ergonomics since i don't have adjustable desk height rn

hm

poo
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Bench press: 120kg x 3 for 6 sets - moved like shit, looked like shit and felt like shit. Felt the need for some volume afterwards.

4otrece7z6cv.png

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I've been having a hell of a time staying motivated and psyching myself up to workout lately. This week is particularly rough. I just finished at maybe 30 minutes? Absolutely awful.

I think it's because of my job which is a dumb schedule and 12 hours of fairly physical work so I've tried taking a week off to rest up but I can't really do that when I'm on swinging shifts. So, when I finally get a day off to go hit the gym I'm still exhausted.

This week might have been particularly bad because I was struggling through my 3rd shifts with a lot more sugar and caffeine than I'm used to just trying to stay awake so my body may be freaking out. All the junk in my system is making me lethargic or something.

• Options
    for some reason today I'm completely fucking wrecked, but I'm hoping to make it to the gym anyway. I also feel like I'm starving on 2400 calories and might ask to have that increased.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I've been having a hell of a time staying motivated and psyching myself up to workout lately. This week is particularly rough. I just finished at maybe 30 minutes? Absolutely awful.

I think it's because of my job which is a dumb schedule and 12 hours of fairly physical work so I've tried taking a week off to rest up but I can't really do that when I'm on swinging shifts. So, when I finally get a day off to go hit the gym I'm still exhausted.

This week might have been particularly bad because I was struggling through my 3rd shifts with a lot more sugar and caffeine than I'm used to just trying to stay awake so my body may be freaking out. All the junk in my system is making me lethargic or something.

Honestly, don't worry too much about it- we all go through these periods. I would recommend switching up your programming to 30 minute workouts (and managing expectations regarding gains)

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

Honestly, don't worry too much about it- we all go through these periods. I would recommend switching up your programming to 30 minute workouts (and managing expectations regarding gains)

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

My average time is usually 1:20 with maybe 6 to 10 different workouts depending on how I'm feeling or how many sets I do per workout. I always feel like I cheated myself if I hit anywhere under 45 minutes.

I may need to start focusing more on cardio for a week or two and cut my overall weight time down to 30 minutes or so like you said. But God I hate cardio.

• Options
    just do the cutting down weights thing and skip the cardio then.

Take it from someone who just burned themselves out, don't do extreme volume unless it's the week before a deload. It leaves you with nowhere to go.

• Options
    Alan Thrall had a video on saving time in the gym recently. While I don't agree with everything, it has good for thought

https://youtu.be/H1zLTBudY6c

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I was actually kind of bummed out that I've been told to increase my rest periods because I want to get in and out

• Options
    I just view rest periods as another parameter you can change in order to increase difficulty of the lifts.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I just view rest periods as another parameter you can change in order to increase difficulty of the lifts.

^ ^ ^

That's why I think they're kind of important to track. Doing 4 x 10 at 100kg with something last week but resting for 5 minutes is a whole different ball game to doing the same thing with 60 second rests. I think you kind of have to make up for the lost weight on the bar with extra volume or similar though.

• Options
    Speaking of moderation - I did 8,6 ton of deadlifts today.

gu5jqea0s87j.png

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Tube wrote: »

^ ^ ^

That's why I think they're kind of important to track. Doing 4 x 10 at 100kg with something last week but resting for 5 minutes is a whole different ball game to doing the same thing with 60 second rests. I think you kind of have to make up for the lost weight on the bar with extra volume or similar though.

I wonder how much short rest periods really matter for lifting either for bodybuilding or powerlifting. Like either way you doin 40 reps. Whether its within 8 minutes or 25 minutes, im not sure(aka i have no idea) if your body really cares beyond energy depletion management.

Which i imagine is very important for sports or strongman and stuff, but for just lifting too look good?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    In the time I've been lifting the Correct Opinion on rest times has gone back and forth about five times. Right now I hear that times of 2-3 minutes are preferred for hypertrophy because it allows for bigger loads to be lifted which makes up for less metabolites and shit. I think unless you're doing specific pump/metabolite training that's probably true. I like doing short rests because I get done faster but I can't deny that it reduces the weight I can lift significantly.

• Options
    For powerlifting my understanding is that you should rest as long as you want within reason, unless you actually start to cool down.

• Options
    I think there's something to be said for keeping rest periods on the short side to maintain the cardio benefits of lifting heavy. And I don't know how it is for anyone else but unless I'm pushing 110% singles, I never need more than a 2 minute rest period between sets. Five is just insane to me, always has been.

• Options
    For me three is luxurious. I think it's worth timing rests even if you don't stick to them, just so you know vaguely how long you're resting. Like, I'm ok with autoregulating to a certain extent but trying that in my first couple of years would have been a disaster.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    I just rest until the song im listening to is done, then start when the beat drops on the next song

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    I'll take at most 2 minute rest pauses.

I usually only do a minute.

Though, I'll occasionally look at my phone to send a text or something and will sit for 3 and a half or 4 minutes and sometimes I feel I can lift heavier and lift better after that longer pause while other times it's like my body gets out of its rhythm and it's actually harder for me to lift the same weight. So I have no clue.

• Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    I take the full five on squat days. No apologies.

This discussion has been closed.